PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, I still don't believe that Shingo Takatsu actually happened

HomeFish
06-02-2012, 02:02 PM
After 2005, the White Sox event that I get most nostalgic for is the brief but glorious career of Shingo Takatsu.

It shouldn't have happened: a 35-year old, soft-throwing Japanese relief pitcher in the twilight of his career should not be able to go to the US and have a dominant year in the majors. But it happened. People swung and missed on 50 mph pitches for strike three...in many cases falling over while doing so. I will always remember the Cubs/Sox game where Todd Hollandsworth swung and missed on a 50mph pitch, fell over, and injured himself. I will always remember Justin Morneau taking a 50 mph pitch for called strike three. The sound of that techno remix of the theme of "Speed 2" will *always* give me chills. The way US Cellular Field got when it started playing, the way everybody got on their feet, that's stuff I didn't see again until October of the next season.

Other relief pitchers gave the Sox more saves, longer careers, and championships: but none of them gave us moments like that.

Last night I searched youtube and found some videos of young Shingo's glory days in Japan. He was more of a fireballer: winning big games on 63 mph pitches.

HomeFish
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Here's the best Shingo Takatsu save video from Japan I found, in which he brutalizes the Hiroshima Carp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8pa-mYAMow

You get a brief glimpse of his intro at the beginning, which is cool.

Dibbs
06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah that was fun for a while. By the way, he was 35.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2012, 02:51 PM
He was also indirectly responsible for one of the worst threads in WSI history.

Madvora
06-02-2012, 04:53 PM

What was that?

soxinem1
06-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Was that because of the game he threw HR balls all over the place to blow the lead in the ninth?

My favorite thing about Shingo was the gong when he entered. That was cold-blooded.

HomeFish
06-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I vaguely remember some kind of racist thread from around that time, and it may have been sparked by "Shingo's Gringos", a group of fans who used to sit behind the Sox bullpen. But I don't remember the details.

It's no Sell, Jerry, cell.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I vaguely remember some kind of racist thread from around that time, and it may have been sparked by "Shingo's Gringos", a group of fans who used to sit behind the Sox bullpen. But I don't remember the details.

Jeremyb1 started a thread stating that the use of the gong for Shingo's entrance was racist, and that even though Shingo never stated that he was uncomfortable, the Sox were wrong for using it. He was ultimately owned by TornLabrum, who stated that speaking for a minority was much more indicative of a racist attitude than using a gong.

amsteel
06-03-2012, 04:46 PM
No joke, he's my favorite Sox player from the last 10 years or so. It was all just too weird to not love. The few interviews he gave (through translators) were great. A very down to earth guy.

I still rock my #10 Takatsu shirt jersey to alot of game.

TheFrisbee
06-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I have to agree, his entrance music and video was probably one of the coolest ever. Everyone would stop and watch him pitch. it's a shame he lost that great control he once had with the fastball to set up the frisbee pitch. Also, I wouldn't say he was a soft tosser. I believe 2004 his fastball was absolute max around 90mph. He put up one hell of a run, one can only wonder how he would have fared in his prime, playing in the MLB...

edit: found this gem on youtube, his first MLB save http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3o1tuxBnc

sullythered
06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I still, to this day, have any idea what that breaking ball he threw should be classified as. He was a lot of fun.

RKMeibalane
06-03-2012, 10:53 PM
What was that?

Jeremy's rant (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36888&highlight=jeremyb1). Or maybe I should have called it "jeremy's rant" because he never used capital letters.

WhiteSox5187
06-04-2012, 12:50 AM
I have to agree, his entrance music and video was probably one of the coolest ever. Everyone would stop and watch him pitch. it's a shame he lost that great control he once had with the fastball to set up the frisbee pitch. Also, I wouldn't say he was a soft tosser. I believe 2004 his fastball was absolute max around 90mph. He put up one hell of a run, one can only wonder how he would have fared in his prime, playing in the MLB...

edit: found this gem on youtube, his first MLB save http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3o1tuxBnc

I loved Shingo too, I wish he had been a bigger part of that '05 team. A great part of that clip you showed is that as they are gathering at the mound someone (I think it was Uribe) sort of bowed to Shingo.

CoopaLoop
06-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Great thread.

When I ever heard that gong, I broke into a Jim Ross. WHAT THE HELL IS SHINGO DOING HERE!?!?!?! OH MY GOD

Cangelosi CF
06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
didn't the PA also play "Mr. Roboto" by Styx when Shingo entered the game? :scratch:

kevingrt
06-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Great thread.

When I ever heard that gong, I broke into a Jim Ross. WHAT THE HELL IS SHINGO DOING HERE!?!?!?! OH MY GOD

That's gotta be... that's gotta be Takatsu.

I loved that guy. One of my favorite players in my brief (20 years) history as a Sox fan.

kevingrt
06-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Juan Uribe playing 2B with that cannon for an arm is funny.

Madvora
06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Frisbee... YESSS!!!

Rowand, Gload, Olivo, Loiza, Uribe at 2B. That was awesome.

gregoriop
06-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Great thread.

This is hilarious to think about Hawk doing as Shingo is running towards the mound.

SephClone89
06-04-2012, 09:38 AM

Juan Uribe playing 2B with that cannon for an arm is funny.

Frisbee... YESSS!!!

Rowand, Gload, Olivo, Loiza, Uribe at 2B. That was awesome.

Hawk was significantly less terrible back then, I think.

The Immigrant
06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Wasabi or Jalapeno...either way, you're gonna get burned.

SephClone89
06-04-2012, 02:27 PM

Who was the Jalapeno referring to, again?

amsteel
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
My favorite Shingo interview ever:

He shows up at ST in 2005 a little bit bulked up, not overweight, just bigger than 04. A reporter asks him what if he had been weight training and if not what his offseason regiment was.

Shingo, without a translator, grabs his stomach with two hands and in English says 'Cheesburgers'.

The Immigrant
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Freddie Garcia. I think this ad was done by the agency that came up with the Grinder Rules.

SephClone89
06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Freddie Garcia. I think this ad was done by the agency that came up with the Grinder Rules.

:?:

Garcia's Venezuelan. Jalapenos are Mexican.

The Immigrant
06-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Perhaps that's why the ad was short-lived.

Over By There
06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I was just thinking about Shingo the other day. Being at the park when they played that intro was an absolute riot - the crowd would be just whipped into a frenzy. I'm glad Shingo was apparently good natured about it. Good times.

RadioheadRocks
06-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Perhaps that's why the ad was short-lived.

The ad (along with most of the other Grinder Rule ads) is preserved for posterity on the SOX PRIDE DVD.

thomas35forever
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
The ad (along with most of the other Grinder Rule ads) is preserved for posterity on the SOX PRIDE DVD.
Yep. The one I saw the least frequently I think was the one that aired on the 4th of July regarding the national anthem.

34 Inch Stick
06-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Jeremyb1 started a thread stating that the use of the gong for Shingo's entrance was racist, and that even though Shingo never stated that he was uncomfortable, the Sox were wrong for using it. He was ultimately owned by TornLabrum, who stated that speaking for a minority was much more indicative of a racist attitude than using a gong.

You remember 8 year old threads?

tstrike2000
06-05-2012, 02:22 PM

The one that kept showing him in the barber chair? Or I believe that might have been in someone's signature.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM

I remember this game, and have part of it on tape. Frank Thomas started at first base en route to a 3-4 evening, including two home runs. Ozzie Guillen was ejected for arguing balls and strikes. The crowd was unusually loud, even for a Saturday night.

HomeFish
06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
One of Shingo's many accomplishments in 2004 was a so-called "hidden perfect game", in which he retired 27 batters in a row. I believe he extended the streak to 28 or 29.

As for his entrance music, it was not Mr. Roboto, it was in fact a techno remix of the theme music to the Speed series of movies. If you purchase the soundtrack to Speed 2, it is one of the tracks on there.

The reason that Shingo Takatsu selected that specific piece of music is because his favorite Japanese professional wrestler enters the ring to the exact same song.

HomeFish
06-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Also, based on my YouTube research, while pitching for the Yakult Swallows in Japan, Shingo came out to the same music. Instead of a gong, they played a tolling bell sound. There also appeared to be some kind of scoreboard animation depicting Shingo as a comic book character, with word balloons.

The Yakult Swallows play in Tokyo. If I ever visit Japan, I will try to catch a Swallows game. I wonder what kind of reaction I'd get if I went to one of their games in a White Sox Takatsu jersey.

C-Dawg
06-06-2012, 07:48 AM
I remember this game, and have part of it on tape. Frank Thomas started at first base en route to a 3-4 evening, including two home runs. Ozzie Guillen was ejected for arguing balls and strikes. The crowd was unusually loud, even for a Saturday night.

In a bit of unrelated trivia, the next day's game (June 14, 2004) marked the introduction of Southpaw.

Juice16
06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I was at a Sox/Yankees game in 2004 and I was lucky enough to sit in the 3rd row right around where Mayor Daley used to sit. Alex Rodriquez was up and Shingo fooled him for strike 3 with the frisbee, I swear rom our angle that ball stopped in mid air half way to home.

CoopaLoop
06-07-2012, 11:45 PM
So this was it?

ewh-yHV4FOk