PDA

View Full Version : Ventura's Consistent Lineups.

FoulTerritory
06-02-2012, 12:00 PM
I think that, since we've been through Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manual and Ozzie "Sunday Lineup" Guillen (who also tinkered a lot on weekdays), its worth mentioning that Ventura sticks with the same basic lineup day after day after day. Even when the Sox were struggling in April he made very few changes to the lineup and only occasionally rested players.

That Robin understands that, in baseball, rhythm and routine are more important than rest, is most refreshing.

chisoxfanatic
06-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Indeed. I never understood why "rest" was such a hot point for some managers. Baseball is not a grueling sport. I can see resting the catcher, because being in the squat position for so much takes a toll on one's lower body. But, every other position really doesn't need that much rest. And, it's needed even less in the AL with the DH. I'm glad Robin understands that.

hawkjt
06-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Robin knows better than to mess with a streak.
When the inevitable happens, I suspect he will start playing the subs more.

Also, Sox happen to be in a stretch with a lot of off-days which gives them a break. Off-Monday again.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Robin putiing out the same lineup day after day is fine with me. Bench guys are considered bench guys for a reason...they aren't good enough to see a lot of time.

An occasional rest is all the better guys need.

Robin has been doing very well so far this year, there was a learning curve at the beginning but he seems to have gotten the hang of things quickly.

Lip

delben91
06-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Robin has said that with a number of off days in the next few weeks, he will be keeping the starters in full time.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0601-bits-white-sox-chicago--20120601,0,7045279.story

Lamp81
06-03-2012, 12:04 AM
I have been surprised by the amount of games AJ has caught. Today was a day game after a night game, and yet he was catching. Granted they just had a day off, but I am surprised that he has been playing as much as he has.

I just hope he doesn't burn out with the heat of July and August.

RKMeibalane
06-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Robin putiing out the same lineup day after day is fine with me. Bench guys are considered bench guys for a reason...they aren't good enough to see a lot of time.

An occasional rest is all the better guys need.

Robin has been doing very well so far this year, there was a learning curve at the beginning but he seems to have gotten the hang of things quickly.

Lip

:jerry

"What are you talking about? In the first half, everybody plays. The second half is the time for winning."

sullythered
06-03-2012, 01:15 AM
And when the Sox struggle, people will complain that Robin "keeps trotting the same lineup out there." I promise this will happen.

Nellie_Fox
06-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Just realized I misspelled "consistent" in the thread title. Sorry!Fixed.

doublem23
06-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Indeed. I never understood why "rest" was such a hot point for some managers. Baseball is not a grueling sport. I can see resting the catcher, because being in the squat position for so much takes a toll on one's lower body. But, every other position really doesn't need that much rest. And, it's needed even less in the AL with the DH. I'm glad Robin understands that.

Individual games may not be as grueling as more physical sports like football, basketball, or hockey, but an MLB season is extremely challenging. Unless you think its easy to hit a 95 MPH fastball when you're dealing with months of aches and pains. There's a reason why last season only 32 players in the AL appeared in 150 or more games.

gobears1987
06-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Changing the line-up is NOT a bad thing and is something all good managers do. Robin is going to learn the hard way that he needs to use his bench more. I hope he starts soon otherwise these guys will have their bodies break down in September.

The fact is that the average MLB team will use 90-100 different line-ups during a season.

Guys need to be rested and players like PK need some games along the way at DH.

Railsplitter
06-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Changing the line-up is NOT a bad thing and is something all good managers do. Robin is going to learn the hard way that he needs to use his bench more. I hope he starts soon otherwise these guys will have their bodies break down in September.

The fact is that the average MLB team will use 90-100 different line-ups during a season.

Guys need to be rested and players like PK need some games along the way at DH. You mean like last friday?

wassagstdu
06-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Ozzie got a lot more out of Lillibridge than Robin, by giving him more playing time. At this point, I think DeAza may need some down time because of nicks and bangs, especially given how important he has become to the offense.

doublem23
06-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Ozzie got a lot more out of Lillibridge than Robin, by giving him more playing time. At this point, I think DeAza may need some down time because of nicks and bangs, especially given how important he has become to the offense.

Ozzie was also playing Juan ****ing Pierre everyday so he needed to get some production out of his OF every now and then.

For all of De Aza's nicks and bangs, didn't he just go 3-6 with some runs yesterday?

kufram
06-03-2012, 09:40 AM
It is a matter of balance. I like seeing the same lineup out there every day especially when they are winning as much as anyone, but there are a lot of games to be played and it is called a grind for a reason.

Good managers get players rested without huge lineup changes on any one day and get bench players regular playing time because that is the best way to have everybody able to perform at their best for a prolonged period of time.

doublem23
06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Individual games may not be as grueling as more physical sports like football, basketball, or hockey, but an MLB season is extremely challenging. Unless you think its easy to hit a 95 MPH fastball when you're dealing with months of aches and pains. There's a reason why last season only 32 players in the AL appeared in 150 or more games.

FWIW - Games the White Sox starting 8 (minus 3B) is on track to appear in -

Pierzynski - 144
Konerko - 153
Beckham - 156
Ramirez - 159
Viciedo - 150
De Aza - 162
Rios - 156
Dunn - 162

sullythered
06-03-2012, 09:54 AM
FWIW - Games the White Sox starting 8 (minus 3B) is on track to appear in -

Pierzynski - 144
Konerko - 153
Beckham - 156
Ramirez - 159
Viciedo - 150
De Aza - 162
Rios - 156
Dunn - 162

This probably has something to do with our terrible bench.

hawkjt
06-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I assume there will be no potshots at Robin today if he goes with a ''Sunday lineup''?

I suspect that Robin will have Fukadome out in center today, and give DeAza a day off. Maybe Escobar at third or SS. Maybe Lilly in left?

Would everyone then be pleased?

I will let him make the call,but with a day off tomorrow, I hope he keeps our hot hitting outfield out there.

doublem23
06-03-2012, 10:01 AM
This probably has something to do with our terrible bench.

It's kind of a chicken and egg thing, Fukudome and Lillibridge most notably have been decent MLB players as recently as last year, are they riding the bench because they're all of a sudden awful players or are they all of a sudden awful players because they're not even averaging 1 PA per team game at this point?

I can see the urge to press guys like Konerko, Dunn, Rios, De Aza, AJ, etc. harder back in April and early May when the other 1/2 of the everyday lineup were all automatic outs, but now that guys like Viciedo, Beckham, and Ramirez have stepped it up lately, it might not be the worst idea in the world to pump the brakes on some of the starters. It's a marathon and we're not even 1/3 of the way to the finish line yet.

But then again, this may be part of the learning curve. Overall, I have been very pleased with the job Robin has been doing, so I'm willing to sit back and enjoy the ride. Whatever shortcomings or disagreements I may have about the way he manages his players and bullpen are completely offset by his demeanor and what he brings to the clubhouse.

hawkjt
06-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Can we agree that when a team has won 9 in a row with a lineup,that if the manager in the 10th game,shook it up,and they lost,that manager would get scorched,and rightfully so?

C'mon,guys, it was a streak...you do not mess with a winning streak:D:

SCCWS
06-03-2012, 10:23 AM
C'mon,guys, it was a streak...you do not mess with a winning streak:D:

Sure you do. There is no way you throw the starting pitcher back out the next day after a win. They need their days off............................

kevingrt
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Well so much for consistent lineups... even with an off day tomorrow.

Lillibridge
Beckham
Dunn
Viciedo
Rios
Fukudome
Ramirez
Flowers
Escobar

It's like a line change in hockey lineup.

hawkjt
06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Well so much for consistent lineups... even with an off day tomorrow.

Lillibridge
Beckham
Dunn
Viciedo
Rios
Fukudome
Ramirez
Flowers
Escobar

It's like a line change in hockey lineup.

Yes, that is radical. But,with that marathon yesterday, it makes some sense. But, if the Sox lose today, Robin will get scorched for being a ''rookie'' again...probably by the same fans who are complaining about his ''too consistent lineup'' last nite.

Just win,and the manager is a genius. Sale better be awesome today!

TDog
06-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Guys need to be rested and players like PK need some games along the way at DH.

Some people believe that the reason the 1969 Cubs collapsed was Durocher not resting his players more, especially catcher Randy Hundley.

Players on the bench who don't play much often are less effective when they need to play. Lillibridge this season isn't hitting at all. Flowers isnt' hitting much, and Fukudome is hitting less. All three of those players might be hitting much better if they were getting into more games.

I am wondering if Fukudome is suited to be a bench player at all. I expect more from Lillibridge because coming off the bench was his role last season, although he is playing less this season. Flowers, I think, could be hitting much better if he were playing more regularly. But Pierzynski has been an impirtant part of this year's offense.