PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Problems

THE_HOOTER
07-24-2002, 04:03 PM
As we all know, our starting rotation is probably close to the Worst in the majors. It also should come as no surprise because we have been getting pelted since spring training.

Wright, Garland, Ritchie, Biddle and Wunsch have all proven to me that they are not dependable pitchers at this level. I know we should give Garland some more time, but for the rest of them I could care less. You can also throw in Howry, Foulke, and Glover as inconsistent as well.

The fact remains that we will have to trade some hitting to get pitching. Since Big Frank is virtually untradable, it looks like Magglio, Konerko, and/or Borchard/ Crede seem to be our only trade bait.

I love these guys as much as you fellas do, but the fact remains you win with pitching and defense not power/offense. Look at the stats for Pauly and maggs, and look at the standings.

if we have to watch Garland, Wright, and Ritchie in the same damn rotation next year, I'll be sick to my stomach.

Everyone picks on Ritchie, but Wright and Garland are right there with him.

And my God, please release Wunsch. Am I the only one who realizes 2000 was a fluke?

Cheryl
07-24-2002, 04:12 PM
All good points, Hoot. Wright and Garland were rushed into the bigs and their careers may well be ruined because of mis-management of the talent. Ritchie obviously can't pitch in the AL, and I don't know what's wrong with the rest of them. But they should all be gotten rid of.

That being said, I really, really don't want to see Mags or PK traded. Anyone can have practically anyone else on this team if we can get some real pitching for them.

hold2dibber
07-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
As we all know, our starting rotation is probably close to the Worst in the majors. It also should come as no surprise because we have been getting pelted since spring training.

Wright, Garland, Ritchie, Biddle and Wunsch have all proven to me that they are not dependable pitchers at this level. I know we should give Garland some more time, but for the rest of them I could care less. You can also throw in Howry, Foulke, and Glover as inconsistent as well.

The fact remains that we will have to trade some hitting to get pitching. Since Big Frank is virtually untradable, it looks like Magglio, Konerko, and/or Borchard/ Crede seem to be our only trade bait.

I love these guys as much as you fellas do, but the fact remains you win with pitching and defense not power/offense. Look at the stats for Pauly and maggs, and look at the standings.

if we have to watch Garland, Wright, and Ritchie in the same damn rotation next year, I'll be sick to my stomach.

Everyone picks on Ritchie, but Wright and Garland are right there with him.

And my God, please release Wunsch. Am I the only one who realizes 2000 was a fluke?

Wright, Biddle, Garland and Glover have all also shown that they can be effective major league pitchers. For whatever reason, none of them have been able to turn those flashes into consistent effective pitching. The organization has to take the blame for that. If the team can hire a pitching coach to turn these guys, all of whom have the stuff to be good MLB pitchers into good MLB pitchers, we'll be in good shape (a HUGE "if", I realize). The same holds true for Ritchie, who has been a decent pitcher before this year.

Also, I don't think we have to trade Maggs, PK, Crede or Borchard to get quality pitching help. However, we do need a GM who can identify talented pitchers off the scrap heap. Guys like Paul Byrd, that guy on the O's who pitched in the Mexican league last year, Odalis Perez, Tomo Ohka, Omar Daal, and many other good pitchers were there for the taking last off season (I realize Perez was part of the Sheffield deal, but he was a throw in). Smart, savvy GMs went and got 'em. If Buehrle remains an effective starter, any two of Ritchie, Garland, Glover, Biddle, Ginter, Parque, Rauch, and Wright can become solid (not great, just pretty good) starters next year, and KW can pick up one other quality starter without dealing Maggs/PK/Borchard/Crede, there is no reason the Sox can't be a good team next year (again, a lot of big "ifs", I know).

Jerry_Manuel
07-24-2002, 04:17 PM
You'll see the same guys in the rotation next year.

Real "quality" pitching cost big bucks. The Sox don't hand out that type of money.

THE_HOOTER
07-24-2002, 05:05 PM
Exactly Jerry.

That's why they will have to trade for one who has not broke the free angency barrier yet.

Paulwny
07-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Exactly Jerry.

That's why they will have to trade for one who has not broke the free angency barrier yet.

JR's criteria for a good veteran pitcher:
1) can't be expensive
2) can't have a long term contract
3) can't have Boras as his agent
4) can't have the sox listed as one of the teams he can't be traded to in his contract

Iguana775
07-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

JR's criteria for a good veteran pitcher:
1) can't be expensive
2) can't have a long term contract
3) can't have Boras as his agent
4) can't have the sox listed as one of the teams he can't be traded to in his contract

dont forget....

5) can't be any good

TheBigHurt
07-24-2002, 07:01 PM
Garland will be an allstar!!!!!!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-24-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
You'll see the same guys in the rotation next year.

Real "quality" pitching cost big bucks. The Sox don't hand out that type of money.

They hand out some big money, they just give it to all the wrong people.