PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Bacon Well Dunn Is Alejand-erful!!' SEA vs SOX 6/1 Post Game Thread

soxinem1
06-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Big 2-HR game for Beckham!!

Didn't like the blown save and Peavy was good enough to win, but it happens.

Besides jumping back right away shows the 2012 White Sox are using their heads, just not the way Saunders did.:smile:

DSpivack
06-01-2012, 09:58 PM

KnightSox
06-01-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm loving these Sox.

Shoeless
06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Let's just agree to never lose again, team.

kravdog
06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Great game, great thread title

ChiSoxGal85
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Much awesomeness. I missed the stuff (Thornton meltdown?) that cost the Sox the lead initially, but whatever...they fought back. This team right now is finding all kinds of ways to win. Love it!! :bandance::bandance:

Zakath
06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
That's got to be top 10 at least for post-game thread titles.

Nice comeback after the M's came back to tie, courtesy of Saunders' face and TCM's squibber.

all*star quentin
06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Love this "Winning White Sox" team! :)

DoItForDanPasqua
06-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Pgtoty

spongyfungy
06-01-2012, 10:04 PM
MLB Playoff Predictor (http://espn.go.com/mlb/huntforoctober)

Percent Chance of making the playoffs :

Texas 94.0%
White Sox 81.2%

chisox77
06-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Keep it going, White Sox.

Boondock Saint
06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
This is a game that previous Sox teams lose in extra innings.

I know it's nitpicking, but I'm really pissed about Matt Thornton's performance tonight. He should have dominated these guys, but he damn near blew the game for us.

guillensdisciple
Good win, did not like how it ended because of Thornton but all in all we have a well rounded offense that hits via home run singles doubles whatever.

Happy to see us roll like this and keep the lead in the division. This will end soon. I don't trust Gavin, but damn lets try to keep it going. I hope Gavin can pull it out tomorrow. Would be awesome if we could take ourselves 10 or 15 over via winning streak.

JB98
Got a couple breaks there in the bottom of the eighth and took advantage. Big two-out hit by De Aza to give Reed some breathing room.

Set-up relief was shaky tonight, but hey, it's American League baseball. Sometimes you just have to outhit the opposition. The Sox are winning in multiple ways right now. That's good to see.

TheOldRoman
The Indians won to stay 1.5 back, but more relevant IMO, the Tigers lost to fall 6 behind the Sox. We have gained five games on the Tigers over the last ten.

Heck of a game for Gordon. It sucks that Peavy couldn't get the win, but at least the offense was able to pick Thornton and Crain up and give us the win. This team is fun to watch.

vinny
06-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Just to continue from the game thread, De Aza has been up with the bases juiced 8 times this season. 4H, 1 BB, 12 RBI, .571 / .625 / 1.000

Un****ingbelievable.

TheFrisbee
06-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Sweet Thread title! :redneck
What a rollercoaster of an 8th inning!
Pretty scary, and a bit deflating in the top half,
But that bottom half was some tremendous baseball.
This team doesn't quit, I love it. Second best record in the AL!

Here's to Floyd pitching to his potential tomorrow to make it 10. :gulp:

DoItForDanPasqua
06-01-2012, 10:13 PM
As a miserable person who cannot enjoy good things, I worry that the Sox are the Indians of 2011 who had an even better record and a similar lead over Detroit. I think they lost every game after the All-Star break.

Or maybe they are the Cardinals of 2011.

TDog
06-01-2012, 10:14 PM
It must have been a fun night at the ballpark, despite the weather. Beckham taking Felix Hernandez out twice was impressive. When Peavy gave up the two-run homer, I could feel the Mariners would come back against the Sox bullpen, as hot as the Mariners offense has been. But the effect, with Ramirez beating out an infield hit to give the Sox their last-at-bat lead, was a much more exciting game.

Six of the wins in this nine-game winning streak have come at home, where the Sox are now .500. With a 30-22 record, second best in the league, tied with the team they swept on the road, that means a pretty good road team is becoming a pretty good home team.

It's too bad some of those early blown saves got away from the Sox and couldn't have been won as tonight's game was.

guillensdisciple
06-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Sox are +40 on run differential. Tied for third in the league with L.A. right now.

This team is seriously rolling right now. Just have to play good baseball the moment all of this ends.

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Not going to lose again this season.

TDog
06-01-2012, 10:19 PM
As a miserable person who cannot enjoy good things, I worry that the Sox are the Indians of 2011 who had an even better record and a similar lead over Detroit. I think they lost every game after the All-Star break.

I might feel that way, too, if the Tigers looked like last years team, or simply a team that could play the sort of baseball they did after the All-Star break last year.

GoGoCrede
06-01-2012, 10:21 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Suck it, AL Central. :)

TheOldRoman
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM

Or maybe they are the Cardinals of 2011.The Indians didn't have a hitter as good as Konerko, a power bat like Dunn, or pitchers like Peavy and Sale. The Sox were more talented than them last year and are more talented than them this year.

I can't promise you the Sox will win the division or even finish with a winning record. However, no year is assured, as 2006 showed us. You have to just enjoy the season; enjoy each game. Right now, the Sox are playing some damn enjoyable baseball.

guillensdisciple
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Suck it, AL Central. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

that's awesome

and plus 23023028302832

kravdog
06-01-2012, 10:25 PM
71 and sunny tomorrow at game time. Let's all get out to the ballpark and support this team!

SoxSpeed22
06-01-2012, 10:28 PM
The team has guys who will pick up the slack. This winning thing is a lot of fun.

Brian26
06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
This is a game that previous Sox teams lose in extra innings.

This is a 1990 White Sox win all the way.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Number 9...number 9...number 9

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/TheBeatles68LP.jpg/220px-TheBeatles68LP.jpg

:D:

Lip

guillensdisciple
06-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Kenny Williams is laughing all the way to the bank right now. If this team wins anything this year, this will be the biggest **** you to everyone a man could possibly give. Personally, I think he deserves to give it considering how everyone is armchair gm sometimes

DoItForDanPasqua
06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
71 and sunny tomorrow at game time. Let's all get out to the ballpark and support this team!

Good idea. I'll do it!

Tragg
06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
What do yall thinking about yanking Konerko in these tie or 1 run margin games?

De Aza's been strong all year.

Quentin08
06-01-2012, 10:37 PM

On the Score, they mentioned that just over 25,000 have been sold for tomorrow's game. With dynamic pricing, you're not gonna see a significant walk-up like you would in the past, so it's doubtful more than 27,000 will show up. Still, it should be a loud electric crowd.

If they keep this up for the next 2 weeks, do you think we'll sell out any of the games against the Cubs or Milwaukee? That 6-game homestand should sell a ton of tickets.

Boondock Saint
06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
What do yall thinking about yanking Konerko in these tie or 1 run margin games?

De Aza's been strong all year.

It was the right call there. Konerko wouldn't have scored from 3rd on Alexei's single, and there's no guaranteeing what happens after that if Lillibridge doesn't score on that play.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2012, 10:42 PM
On the Score, they mentioned that just over 25,000 have been sold for tomorrow's game. With dynamic pricing, you're not gonna see a significant walk-up like you would in the past, so it's doubtful more than 27,000 will show up. Still, it should be a loud electric crowd.

If they keep this up for the next 2 weeks, do you think we'll sell out any of the games against the Cubs or Milwaukee? That 6-game homestand should sell a ton of tickets.I thought dynamic pricing would decrease prices if there were a bunch of unsold tickets day of game?

Noneck
06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
If they keep this up for the next 2 weeks, do you think we'll sell out any of the games against the Cubs or Milwaukee? That 6-game homestand should sell a ton of tickets.

I dont see the Brewers as much of a draw and dont see cheeseheads coming down to the southside.

TommyGavinFloyd
06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Great win, especially coming back after giving up the runs in the 7th and 8th. I'm really loving this.

I thought dynamic pricing would decrease prices if there were a bunch of unsold tickets day of game?

That's how they pitched the idea in the first place. Funny how that is never the case though.

soxinem1
06-01-2012, 10:47 PM
This is a 1990 White Sox win all the way.

Funny you mention that.

Robin used Jeff Torborg as a consultant in ST.
Robin played for Torborg on the 1990 White Sox.
Robin uses defensive drills Torborg used as a Manager.
1990 defensive play resembles 2012 team.
Like the 1990 White Sox, the 2012 team doesn't have a lot of speed burners yet runs better and more often than most recent White Sox teams.
1990 White Sox had several LH pitchers in the bullpen, as does the 2012 team.

Hmmm, many similarities....

Hopefully that 94 wins the 1990 White Sox had will be another thing this team has in common with them. :D:

sullythered
06-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Boy, this is a whole hell of a lot of fun.

jdm2662
06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
I dont see the Brewers as much of a draw and dont see cheeseheads coming down to the southside.

My cousin-in-laws from cheeseland beg to differ.

DoItForDanPasqua
06-01-2012, 10:54 PM
I thought dynamic pricing would decrease prices if there were a bunch of unsold tickets day of game?

I don't think they will make them cheaper than season tickets.

Brian26
06-01-2012, 10:56 PM

That makes sense for a true dynamic pricing model, but Brooks and his team of idiots don't understand the concept because they only studied the template that the World Champion San Francisco Giants created in 2011 where ticket prices always went up day-of-game (*if they were available).

There are 20,000 unsold tickets available and Brooks has dynamic prices set above the regular season posted prices? That's insane.

KenBerryGrab
06-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Honestly, drop the dynamic crap and you'd have real walk ups.

voodoochile
06-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Nine in a row. This team rocks!

Beckham up to almost 700 OPS. I know it's not great but from where he was it's very cool.

Only one thing left to do, shave Hawk's head...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :bandance:

voodoochile
06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't think they will make them cheaper than season tickets.

Not if they don't want to piss of every single season ticket holder trying to unload a few extras they won't...

TheOldRoman
06-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Not if they don't want to piss of every single season ticket holder trying to unload a few extras they won't...Season ticket holders get a discount off the pre-season prices, and from what others are saying, the dynamic pricing somehow raised the prices for this rainy Friday night against the Mariners even higher. They could reduce the tickets to the discounted amount STHs pay, and a person buying from the Sox would still have to pay service charges on top of that.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2012, 11:11 PM
As good as things have been going, Matt Thornton has been mediocre for long enough that I thought I'd start a thread. He used to be the guy I enjoyed seeing come through the bullpen gate. But, now it's gotten close to Ohman stomach-churning bad whenever comes out to pitch. The guy seems to allow too many baserunners, allows many inherited baserunners to score, he seems to have many mental lapses. He has really done a 180-degree turn from a couple years ago.

I'm concerned that he has nothing left in the tank, that he's been figured out and has lost confidence, and that we can't get anything worth a damn for him now. What the heck, Thornton?!

Nellie_Fox
06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
As good as things have been going, Matt Thornton has been mediocre for long enough that I thought I'd start a thread. He used to be the guy I enjoyed seeing come through the bullpen gate. But, not, it's gotten close to Ohman stomach-churning bad whenever comes out to pitch. The guy seems to allow too many baserunners, allows many inherited baserunners to score, he seems to have many mental lapses. He has really done a 180-degree turn from a couple years ago.

I'm concerned that he has nothing left in the tank, that he's been figured out and has lost confidence, and that we can't get anything worth a damn for him now. What the heck, Thornton?!
He's starting to look like a very expensive loogy.

DSpivack
06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
As good as things have been going, Matt Thornton has been mediocre for long enough that I thought I'd start a thread. He used to be the guy I enjoyed seeing come through the bullpen gate. But, not, it's gotten close to Ohman stomach-churning bad whenever comes out to pitch. The guy seems to allow too many baserunners, allows many inherited baserunners to score, he seems to have many mental lapses. He has really done a 180-degree turn from a couple years ago.

As others have said, he also has been used a lot.

SBSoxFan
06-01-2012, 11:14 PM
It was the right call there. Konerko wouldn't have scored from 3rd on Alexei's single, and there's no guaranteeing what happens after that if Lillibridge doesn't score on that play.

Konerko would have scored because he was already on third.

slavko
06-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Not a big deal, but running on contact with 2 out, soft grounder, SS playing back, even Paul scores.

sullythered
06-01-2012, 11:19 PM

I have no statistics or proof whatsoever, but I feel like he does poorly when he is brought in in one inning, and is left in to start another.

06-01-2012, 11:23 PM
As good as things have been going, Matt Thornton has been mediocre for long enough that I thought I'd start a thread. He used to be the guy I enjoyed seeing come through the bullpen gate. But, now it's gotten close to Ohman stomach-churning bad whenever comes out to pitch. The guy seems to allow too many baserunners, allows many inherited baserunners to score, he seems to have many mental lapses. He has really done a 180-degree turn from a couple years ago.

Pitch Fx has his average fastball velocity down to 95.2 this year from 95.8 in 2011. His career average is 95.7.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2012, 11:44 PM
I mentioned this in the game thread too...Does anyone else think of Ray Durham when you see Hudson come to bat? It's the #5!

fram40
06-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Funny you mention that.

Robin used Jeff Torborg as a consultant in ST.
Robin played for Torborg on the 1990 White Sox.
Robin uses defensive drills Torborg used as a Manager.
1990 defensive play resembles 2012 team.
Like the 1990 White Sox, the 2012 team doesn't have a lot of speed burners yet runs better and more often than most recent White Sox teams.
1990 White Sox had several LH pitchers in the bullpen, as does the 2012 team.

Hmmm, many similarities....

Hopefully that 94 wins the 1990 White Sox had will be another thing this team has in common with them. :D:

if only they had another Frank Thomas (and Alez Fernandez) in Birmingham ready to call up on Aug 1 ...

Hitmen77
06-01-2012, 11:51 PM
It looked like a little bit of an exchange in the dugout in between innings between AJ and Hudson. This was after Hudson grabbed that ball before it had a chance to go foul. AJ nearly shoved him out of the way to try to stop him from touching that ball.

ChiSoxGirl
06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
It looked like a little bit of an exchange in the dugout in between innings between AJ and Hudson. This was after Hudson grabbed that ball before it had a chance to go foul. AJ nearly shoved him out of the way to try to stop him from touching that ball.

I saw this, too. During his postgame presser, Robin was asked about this by some member of the media. His response? "I didn't see anything between A.J. and Hudson." Atta boy, Robin... deny, deny, deny! :D:

Foulke You
06-02-2012, 12:34 AM

He doesn't have that big 97-98 mph heater like he once did. He has been clocking mostly around 94 this year and this has made him become more of a contact hitter than in the past. The big velocity used to help him punch out right handed hitters but it has been hit or miss since the dip to 94 mph. Matt never had a dazzling array of secondary pitches and has always been more of a thrower than a pitcher. I still think he is a quality relief pitcher but we were spoiled by how dominant he was for us in the past. I think father time might be catching up with him.

CoopaLoop
06-02-2012, 12:38 AM
That's Thornton's first runs allowed in his last 10 appearances.

Let's not all go crazy just yet.

hawkjt
06-02-2012, 12:40 AM
I saw this, too. During his postgame presser, Robin was asked about this by some member of the media. His response? "I didn't see anything between A.J. and Hudson." Atta boy, Robin... deny, deny, deny! :D:

This is Robin's response to anything halfway controversial....''it was nothing ''(Humbers pitch behind LaHair) , or '' I did not see anything''( AJ and Jake or AJ and O-Dog)

It is the smart response. Don't change a thing.

AJ was totally correct on his read of the ball,after he failed to catch it...it was definitely going to go foul. AJ has the greatest baseball instincts in impromptu situations of any player I have ever followed....that was wicked smart to let that ball go. O-Dog went with his natural instinct rather than the smart move...but thankfully in the end it did not matter as Miguel hit into a dp anyway,and Jake gave up a couple of legit hits later.

Thornton has clearly given yeoman's service to the Sox as he broke the alltime appearance record tonite(shocking,really), but he cannot even get lefties out reliably anymore. He gives up more ducksnorts than anyone on the staff and then some solid hits also. I have to think it is the laser straight pitches. I would trade him for Youklis right now. Just cannot depend on him anymore.

Now,that said, the M's are hitting like when the Royals are hot...line drive hitters all thru the lineup. They score 31 runs the last two games so 4 is a moral victory.
Still, the Sox cannot sleep on them this weekend. Gavin could get rocked if he is not on his stuff,with all those leftys they now have in the lineup.
Where did they all come from? Between the Tribe and the M's, they have about 16 lefty hitters while the Sox have like 3.

Gordo is seeing the ball much better lately and just going up and hitting it. Too bad that Saunders made that great diving catch on that liner to center or he would have had huge nite. I had a bad feeling when Robin had O-Dog try to steal on Miguel,and he gets thrown out and costs us a run when Gordo goes deep. I just had a feeling we needed 5 runs to win this game.

Alexei and PK proved the old adage that if you put a ball in play,you never know,something good might happen.

DeAza continues to be the reincarnation of Rock Raines in the leadoff slot.
Love this guy...tougher than a bucket of nails also.

I will say that all Sox fans should make sure to experience one of the Adam Bombs at least once this year. They are truly majestic with the heighth. Of course I also saw last nite on MLBNetwork that Adam had the lowest homer of the year so far...a screaming liner that only got 14 ft off the ground before diving into the bleachers in Cleveland.
Tonites,and the one in Tampa in the Sale win were grand canyon style shots.

The Sox need to just keep it going as long as possible...tomorrow is another tough game,but our confidence is high....Go Sox!

Andy T Clown
06-02-2012, 12:51 AM

Wish I could but I will be the drummer in the SOX jersey @ St. Joe's fest in summit tomorrow

TomBradley72
06-02-2012, 01:21 AM

He just completed a run of at least 9 consecutive appearances w/out allowing an earned run.

thomas35forever
06-02-2012, 02:50 AM
What's there not to like about this team right now? I mean they're not perfect, but they're nowhere near a squad on pace to lose 95. That's good, but not nearly enough. In fact, I want more. Win the division. Win the pennant. Win the whole ****ing thing if you can. Just win, baby!:bandance:

cards press box
06-02-2012, 03:51 AM
:winner

WSox597
06-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Can't say how it will all end up, but my wife and I are really enjoying watching the Sox this season.

Last year was painful to watch, but this year has been fun. So far, Robin looks like he will do well. I'm glad of that. Great to see Dunn and Rios playing well again, and it's beginning to look like Beckham is figuring things out.

Keep it up, guys!

soxinem1
06-02-2012, 07:49 AM
What's there not to like about this team right now? I mean they're not perfect, but they're nowhere near a squad on pace to lose 95. That's good, but not nearly enough. In fact, I want more. Win the division. Win the pennant. Win the whole ****ing thing if you can. Just win, baby!:bandance:

Who can argue with that logic? I agree 110%!!!!

October26
06-02-2012, 08:55 AM
I mentioned this in the game thread too...Does anyone else think of Ray Durham when you see Hudson come to bat? It's the #5!

Me! Me! Me!

I've been thinking about this since I first saw Hudson wearing the number #5. I'm glad to see another Sox player wearing that number (Ray Durham was a fun player). As for the Sox winning streak, I am delirious with joy. :bliss:

I did not get to watch the game last night, but did get to watch the highlights this morning. Another great win. Just keep on winning, White Sox! :bandance:

PS - Also love the thread title! :D:

TomBradley72
06-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Loved Hawk's call of the infield hit that scored Lillibridge- "No....no....no,no,no....YES!".

Surprised to see Thornton back out for the 8th- I thought we'd see Crain right out of the shoot.

Nice to see Gordon have a multi-homer night- obvious where he gets his hair from from the shots of his Dad in attendance. :cool:

The Sox and Brooks should take <20,000 (on a Friday night, fireworks night in June, 1st place team) as a huge wake up call to the damage they've done to their customer base across 6 seasons with only 1 post season appearance, an offseason of signalling "rebuilding" and a horrible "dynamic pricing" strategy that is all but killing walk up sales.

Weird schedule this year- only 9 home dates in July (but 17 in September?)- only 5 pre-Labor Day homestands after this one.

Hitmen77
06-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Thornton is also going to be 36 years old by the end of the season.

That's Thornton's first runs allowed in his last 10 appearances.

Let's not all go crazy just yet.

Yep, he hasn't been that bad lately. But, the Sox won and didn't have to burn through their bullpen (other than using Reed for the 9th) to do it.

Zakath
06-02-2012, 10:04 AM

The difference between playing second, where no ball can ever go foul, and third. Someone used to playing the "baselines" would know that there's a chance that ball goes foul once it was missed, whereas a middle infielder would always look to play the ball.

You know, if we only had a former third baseman in an authority position on this team...

guillensdisciple
06-02-2012, 10:04 AM
I like the reaction on this website to this resurgence. I wonder if the honey moon period is over with the sox and 2005. Last year, many of us were holding on to the slightest sign of good baseball. Maybe it was Ozzie's fault. Maybe all of us assumed that he would guide us to victory over and over again. It's a good thing he's gone. Fan reaction on this site and in general seems a lot more calm. Like we're enjoying the ride while maintaining skepticism and not expecting a world series.

I like watching baseball like this. It's a lot more enjoyable that's for sure.

Zakath
06-02-2012, 10:10 AM
I have no statistics or proof whatsoever, but I feel like he does poorly when he is brought in in one inning, and is left in to start another.

Robin's been doing this a fair amount lately with a lot of pitchers, and it doesn't seem to work that well with guys who are used to being short relievers. They're more in a rhythm of "get warmed up, come in, get your inning in, and then you're done." Now, you're adding another cycle of cooling off, then going back out and getting warmed up again. Starters and long relievers are used to that, but the short relief guys don't do that as often. It may take some more adjustment time for them to get used to this pattern.

TheVulture
06-02-2012, 10:12 AM
This is Robin's response to anything halfway controversial....''it was nothing ''(Humbers pitch behind LaHair) , or '' I did not see anything''( AJ and Jake or AJ and O-Dog)

You missed "I don't know what happened" for the Zobrist behind the back pitch.

TheVulture
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
The difference between playing second, where no ball can ever go foul, and third. Someone used to playing the "baselines" would know that there's a chance that ball goes foul once it was missed, whereas a middle infielder would always look to play the ball.

No doubt. Hudson may have thought it bounced off AJ's glove as well. Considering the way he's been playing third base, I'd think we could overlook this little mental gaffe. Dude's throwing some serious leather out there and our infield defense has looked incredible with him at third. Big reason we're running a 13-1 streak I'd argue.

Chez
06-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Number 9...number 9...number 9

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/TheBeatles68LP.jpg/220px-TheBeatles68LP.jpg

:D:

Lip

First thing I thought of too, Lip. Would have been hysterical if they would have played that clip at the ballpark after the last out.

As for Thornton, he's been really good for the last 2-3 weeks so let's cut him some slack. All relievers give up runs (e.g. Nate Jones on Wednesday). All while Thorny doesn't look quite as dominant as he has in the past, he's far from a loogy. With the emergence of Jones and Santiago and the return of Crain, the Sox bullpen could be the deepest and best in the AL.