PDA

View Full Version : Kaplan: Trading Starlin Castro should be on Cubs' table

doublem23
05-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Just when you thought he couldn't get any dumber

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-cubs/cubs-talk/Kaplan-Trading-Castro-should-be-on-the-t?blockID=717398&feedID=10336&awid=5632279662623235069-915

RKMeibalane
06-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Wow. Just wow.

DumpJerry
06-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Do it. Really, the kid deserves a chance to play October baseball before he retires at age 40.

Why do I get the feeling that if the Cubs draft a crate of dead squirrels, Kaplan will proclaim this to be the best draft the Cubs have ever had. In fact, upon further review, no team in the history of the MLB draft ever had a more productive draft......

It's gonna be fun watching Theo now that he is deprived of his best drafting tool-overpaying the slot.

Tragg
06-01-2012, 01:39 AM
The funniest thing in that article is the notion that Matt Garza is a top of the rotation starter.

Or maybe that teams should trade for Dempster because he's "one of the best clubhouse guys in the game".

With all of this talent that Kaplan describes, maybe the Cubs should be buyers.....Cubs can't be that far away.

DSpivack
06-01-2012, 01:46 AM
I still don't get why he'd want to trade away their best player and only real young talent. Well, he has always been an idiot I guess.

doublem23
06-01-2012, 03:54 AM
I still don't get why he'd want to trade away their best player and only real young talent. Well, he has always been an idiot I guess.

Nothing says rebuilding like trading away your 22-year-old star shortstop in the making.

tebman
06-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Why do I get the feeling that if the Cubs draft a crate of dead squirrels, Kaplan will proclaim this to be the best draft the Cubs have ever had. In fact, upon further review, no team in the history of the MLB draft ever had a more productive draft......

Theo, Kaplan would like you to meet your new draft coordinator:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1025/mlb_a_woowoo_gb1_300.jpg

pythons007
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I've had nothing ever nice to say about Dave Kaplan....and it won't start here either. The guy is a complete and utter toolbag!

hawkjt
06-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Kaplan is a d-bag, but I actually sort of agree with him on this.
The 2012 Cubs are not worth salvaging. Burn it down.
Go for the record in losses.

1. Epstein is in a unique position. The Cubs will draw decent crowds even if they broke the record for losses in a season...probably the only franchise that could happen.

2. Youth seems to be served this year in baseball. There just seems to be a bunch of young players that are impacting teams this year,so going young with the right prospects does not mean the Cubs would be that far away.

3. If they got the right offers for Castro and Soto,and the rest, they might just have some exciting young stars like Stanton coming into their own about the time their stadium re-model is done. Who knows where they will be playing until 2015? The whole franchise will be in re-modeling mode the next couple of years,from Wrigley to the roster, so why not line up the pain at the same time,and then have the fruition of the efforts all dove-tail together at the same time?

Of course the trick is to get the right prospects...and that is not guaranteed,even for Kaplan's boy genius.

Rahm better not give in to the crazy extremist billionaire and give him taxpayer money to finance all the above....if he has money to spend on garbage like this new anti-Obama movie that is based on lies,then he can re-model his own ballyard.

Uncle_Patrick
06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
My Cubs fan friend says that Theo has got to go and he can take Castro with him.:rolleyes:

Golden Sox
06-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Years ago the Chicago American newspaper had a Cubs fan writer by the name of Harry Sheer. He openly kissed the rear ends of the Cubs beyond the point of decency. He even wrote once in his column "What more could any Cubs fan want than have an owner like Phil Wrigley"?. He was eventually let go by the paper and sure enough he wound up with a radio show on WGN. I never thought there would be a bigger mope in the Chicago media than Harry Sheer. I was wrong, Kaplan outdoes him easily. I don't watch Chicago Tribune Live anymore because of him.

Irishsox1
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Hey wait! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb...

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae231/rocknrolla2/Ricketts.jpg

cards press box
06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
It's gonna be fun watching Theo now that he is deprived of his best drafting tool-overpaying the slot.

How about it? Does anyone else suspect that Theo is baseball's answer to the guy who excels at poker when he is holding 3 Kings with an Ace kicker?

kittle42
06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey wait! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb...

I want respect!

JB98
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Kaplan is an idiot, but I don't think it's by definition dumb to suggest the Cubs should trade Castro. That organization is so thin on talent -- especially pitching talent -- if you can get three quality arms for him I think you have to consider doing it.

I'm not as big a Castro fan as a lot of people are. His defense hasn't gotten any better. He still swings at everything, and that's reflected in his OBP. Will he become a perennial All-Star? Possibly, he's still very young. However, I'm not sold yet that he's a true cornerstone player.

Really, like everything else, it comes down to what you can get in return. I don't think the Cubs should go out of their way to trade Castro, but if someone calls, they should listen.

Boondock Saint
06-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Kaplan is an idiot, but I don't think it's by definition dumb to suggest the Cubs should trade Castro. That organization is so thin on talent -- especially pitching talent -- if you can get three quality arms for him I think you have to consider doing it.

I'm not as big a Castro fan as a lot of people are. His defense hasn't gotten any better. He still swings at everything, and that's reflected in his OBP. Will he become a perennial All-Star? Possibly, he's still very young. However, I'm not sold yet that he's a true cornerstone player.

Really, like everything else, it comes down to what you can get in return. I don't think the Cubs should go out of their way to trade Castro, but if someone calls, they should listen.

Even if he doesn't ever get any better than this, the Cubs can still get 10 quality years of a very good player out of him, and that's more than you can promise from prospects. This is a question/debate for 4-5 years down the line.

white sox bill
06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Me thinks this story was written to create controversy and fluff Kaplins reader clicks

Frontman
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
It does smack of "I'm making a loud noise so you all can pay attention to me" but put me in the group of it isn't that far fetched of an idea.

Right now, the Cubs should have ZERO untouchables. The team needs to be burned down to the foundation and then rebuilt. If trading Castro gets you 2 or 3 possible pieces for future deals/players ready to contribute when in a position to win, his trade would be worth it.

beasly213
06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Anyone else find it funny that the teams that Theo and Jed Hoyer "built" are both in last place?

Frontman
06-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Anyone else find it funny that the teams that Theo and Jed Hoyer "built" are both in last place?

Uhhh, no. Theo and Jed haven't had one full season in charge of the Cubs, so I can't really find humor in their lack of success in a short time.

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Uhhh, no. Theo and Jed haven't had one full season in charge of the Cubs, so I can't really find humor in their lack of success in a short time.

He means the Red Sox and the Padres.

And JB98 is right in his opinion of Castro. Bad defense and plate discipline that makes Alexei look like Frank Thomas.

34 Inch Stick
06-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Years ago the Chicago American newspaper had a Cubs fan writer by the name of Harry Sheer. He openly kissed the rear ends of the Cubs beyond the point of decency. He even wrote once in his column "What more could any Cubs fan want than have an owner like Phil Wrigley"?. He was eventually let go by the paper and sure enough he wound up with a radio show on WGN. I never thought there would be a bigger mope in the Chicago media than Harry Sheer. I was wrong, Kaplan outdoes him easily. I don't watch Chicago Tribune Live anymore because of him.

I don't know what it is that makes these guys attractive to WGN. Kaplan's entire resume is just a creepy guy who liked to hang around high school basketball courts far too much for a guy his age.

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Kaplan's entire resume is just a creepy guy who liked to hang around high school basketball courts far too much for a guy his age.

....Okay.....

Don't think he deserves that type of thing thrown his way.

Frontman
06-01-2012, 07:28 PM
....Okay.....

Not when there is so much other material to throw at him.

Blind to all things but Cubs.

Fake tan.

Can't go 15 minutes without talking about the Cubs.

Arrogant as all get out.

Cubs fixation.....

Steelrod
06-05-2012, 11:39 AM
He means the Red Sox and the Padres.

And JB98 is right in his opinion of Castro. Bad defense and plate discipline that makes Alexei look like Frank Thomas.
And probably overvalued!!

TomBradley72
06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
I know it's only one play- but Castro looked as clueless as I've ever seen a major league player as he jogged off the field thinking there were 3 outs- I've never seen a guy, especially a middle infielder, take so long to realize the mistake.

Makes me appreciate our 23 yo LF even more.

hawkjt
06-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I know it's only one play- but Castro looked as clueless as I've ever seen a major league player as he jogged off the field thinking there were 3 outs- I've never seen a guy, especially a middle infielder, take so long to realize the mistake.

Makes me appreciate our 23 yo LF even more.

Castro reminds me of the clip of this years NBA game where Javale McGee is shown sprinting to the other end of the court all by himself when his team still has posssesion of the ball and is trying to run a play. Castro and McGee had similar ''court awareness''.

#1swisher
06-05-2012, 12:41 PM
WSCR AM

Sveum On Latest Starlin Castro Gaffe: ‘It’s The Last Straw’

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/05/dale-sveum-starlin-castro-last-straw/

gobears1987
06-05-2012, 12:52 PM
WSCR AM

Sveum On Latest Starlin Castro Gaffe: ‘It’s The Last Straw’

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/05/dale-sveum-starlin-castro-last-straw/

That will boost his trade value.

34 Inch Stick
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
....Okay.....

What type of thing? That's how he got his start in broadcasting. He was a guy who would drive across the state on weekends broadcasting high school basketball on local access.

WhiteSox5187
06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I can't figure out if he is dumb or if he doesn't care. Last year there was the clip where he had his back to the pitcher and the infield while the pitcher was in the midst of his delivery (which was something that evidently a bunch of opposing teams' coaches had noticed). Then this play and a lot of other mental mistakes. He seems like the kind of guy who could benefit a lot from working with a veteran like Vizquel.

Frontman
06-05-2012, 07:12 PM
What type of thing? That's how he got his start in broadcasting. He was a guy who would drive across the state on weekends broadcasting high school basketball on local access.

I think its more of the pedophile veiled reference in your original post that's questionable. Kaplan might be an ass, but he isn't evil incarnate.

Noneck
06-05-2012, 07:36 PM

When I heard him as the analyst for a Horizon league basketball game, he was actually knowledgeable and quite good.

Frontman
06-05-2012, 07:47 PM
When I heard him as the analyst for a Horizon league basketball game, he was actually knowledgeable and quite good.

Hence my frustration with the likes of him. There are many who are very competent sports commentators, but once they get to cover their "favorite" team, forget it. They become annoying as all get out.

SI1020
06-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I think its more of the pedophile veiled reference in your original post that's questionable. Kaplan might be an ass, but he isn't evil incarnate. I wanted to just let that one go but since you mention it, yeah so the guy likes to cover high school basketball. Unlike in some other sports Illinois high schools are one of the true hotbeds of high school hoops. I can't stand Kaplan but if covering high school athletics makes one a bad person then I don't know what to say.