PDA

View Full Version : Umpires Behaving Badly: Laz Diaz Edition

RKMeibalane
05-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Link (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7991478/new-york-yankees-russell-martin-says-had-unusual-run-umpire)

I've never heard of something like this, but given what we've seen from umpires lately, I'm inclined to side with Martin on this issue. If Diaz was that put off by Martin arguing with him, he should have thrown him out and been finished with it. Instead, he chose to act like a prick.

tebman
05-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Unbelievable. Why are these guys allowed to continue as MLB umpires?

amsteel
05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
If your job was eminently replaceable by modern technology, you'd be a little edgy too.

pythons007
05-31-2012, 12:41 PM
****ing assclown umpires!

Bucky F. Dent
05-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Link (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7991478/new-york-yankees-russell-martin-says-had-unusual-run-umpire)

I've never heard of something like this, but given what we've seen from umpires lately, I'm inclined to side with Martin on this issue. If Diaz was that put off by Martin arguing with him, he should have thrown him out and been finished with it. Instead, he chose to act like a prick.

Diaz acted like a child, IMO.

Chez
05-31-2012, 01:58 PM
I'd kind of like to hear Diaz's side of the story before jumping to conclusions.

bigsoxfan420
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
I'd kind of like to hear Diaz's side of the story before jumping to conclusions.

When do umpire actually comment on anything they do? After all you cannot question the all-powerful.

Chez
05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
When do umpire actually comment on anything they do? After all you cannot question the all-powerful.

You are right. We probably never will hear from Diaz. But I'm unwilling to simply take Martin's version of the incident as gospel.

WSox597
05-31-2012, 05:29 PM
These umpires somehow got the impression people are paying to see and hear them. I don't even care what their names are, it's irrelevant to the enjoyment of the game.

I've said it before, if we know their names and their style, they're screwing up. Every ump has a different strike zone, and it sometimes changes from inning to inning. That's ridiculous.

Guys like Joe West and some others, in almost any other line of work, would lose their jobs for incompetence. Would you like a surgeon, with as little talent as some of these clowns, anywhere near you with a scalpel? I sure wouldn't. Or how about a guy who dresses like a plumber, but doesn't know how to use the tools? I wouldn't let him near my home.

I'm also in favor of replacing these clowns with technology. It would be no great loss, except however many umpires there are would need to find gainful employment. They could always join the circus, they'd fit right in.

I think the cult of personality with umpires started with Ron Luciano when he wrote his book. Now they all think they're stars, and we're just waiting for their every proclamation and gesture.

Guess again, boys. I pay to see actual talented athletes perform, not some myopic observer who barely knows the rules of the game, or its traditions.

I'm not a fan of Harrelson, but his rant is understandable. Somebody has to rein these clowns in somehow. They are the worst officials in sports.

thomas35forever
05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
The more I hear about these things, the more I believe the statement that the best officials are those you hear nothing about.

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2012, 08:30 PM
I personally feel officiating in ALL sports has gone down the drain. It's getting worse and worse. It's been worse than ever in the NHL as well. I can't believe how so many calls can be missed in baseball especially when it's the slowest major sport out there.

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2012, 09:39 PM
These umpires make me miss Bruce Froemming, and I didn't think that was possible.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2012, 09:43 PM
These umpires make me miss Bruce Froemming, and I didn't think that was possible.

And Hawk ranted about him, too.

:hawk

"That was BS!"