PDA

View Full Version : Hawk's Epic Rant...

Pages : [1] 2

Lip Man 1
05-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Ranks right up there with the time Buehrle was tossed in Baltimore in 05 and when the Sox lost at Texas because of a bad call down the 3rd base line in 93:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-harrelson-erupts-after-quintana-ejection-20120530,0,33900.story

Lip

Chez
05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I had the radio on at the time. Farmio was pissed too.

Crooked Number
05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks for posting, didn't get to see the first 7 innings. This is why I love Hawk. You can't argue that the man isn't completely passionate about White Sox baseball or the game itself. Agree one hundred percent with him...

tebman
05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Harrelson's right, of course. No warning -- hell, Zobrist wasn't even hit.

I'm standing by for the day when precision instruments are used to determine plays in ballgames instead of myopic, self-important toads. Selig was at SoxFest this year but I wasn't able to attend his Q&A session. I really wanted to ask him why Joe West was still employed by MLB, and by extension what MLB does to provide some measure of quality control among the umpires.

I'd like to know what Pierzynski and Ventura said. I'd pay money for a transcript.

thomas35forever
05-30-2012, 04:29 PM
I had the radio on at the time. Farmio was pissed too.
He was. I heard it live. But compared to Hawk, Farmer sounded like a priest. This is the new standard for rants he's gone on.

To that end, I have a Cubs fan friend whose favorite is during the '07 crosstown series at Comiskey when he said "you're dadgum right this game's gonna be played under protest!"

05-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Video taken down. Darn.

Ron Karkovice
05-30-2012, 04:31 PM
it was pretty freaking funny actually. Anyway, they're saying on boers and bernstein that MLB is looking to reprimand Hawk in any way possible if they can.

CoopaLoop
05-30-2012, 04:31 PM
He was certainly on the right side of the argument, but damn that guy is going crazy.

downstairs
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Video taken down. Darn.

Available here:

http://deadspin.com/5914346/ken-hawk-harrelson-melts-down-after-white-sox-pitcher-ejected-for-throwing-behind-a-batter

RKMeibalane
05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
This reminds me of his rant in '03, after Garland was tossed by Bruce Froeming during a Saturday night game against the Twins, because he plunked Doug Eye Chart in the back.

:hawk

"That was BS! How can someone have so much power? That was BS!"

To give newer users some background, Frank Thomas had been thrown at at least twice by opposing pitchers during the season's first month, and Magglio Ordonez had been hit the previous two games.

Apparently, Froeming's crew issued warnings before the game, yet neither Jerry Manuel nor Ron Gardenhire seemed to be aware of it, nor was Gardenhire tossed after Ordonez was hit.

tick53
05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Hawk had the right this time although I hardly ever agree with him anymore

dickallen15
05-30-2012, 04:37 PM
it was pretty freaking funny actually. Anyway, they're saying on boers and bernstein that MLB is looking to reprimand Hawk in any way possible if they can.
What can they do?

Ron Karkovice
05-30-2012, 04:40 PM
What can they do?

Terry just keeps saying that they are looking into it hard.

I dont know, small fine? Leyland did/or is? going to get 25k maybe for his umpire rants, but Hawk isn't a manager. No idea...

soxfanreggie
05-30-2012, 04:42 PM
What can they do?

They may put pressure on the Sox somehow to suspend him. What's next, trying to tell what the beat writers and radio hosts they can't talk about it.

Was what he did the best? No. Was it his right? Yes. He reports to the Sox on his commentary.

If B&B were suspended each time they went on a moronic rant, there wouldn't be much of a show anymore. :-)

downstairs
05-30-2012, 04:43 PM

I dont know, small fine? Leyland did/or is? going to get 25k maybe for his umpire rants, but Hawk isn't a manager. No idea...

Is he an employee of the White Sox, or the 3 stations they broadcast on.

If the former (and I assume that's the case)... they certainly can fine the White Sox. At least I assume so.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2012, 04:44 PM

For what? Before you respond to that, I do recognize the political necessity of disciplining Hawk for losing control of his emotions while on the air, but he's right in what he said, even if he didn't say it in the most user-friendly way.

There are so many mediocre umpires working in MLB today. Wegner has history with the Sox, as do Eric Cooper, Hunter Wendelstadt, Brian Ghorman, Joe West, Dan Iassognia, etc. Major League Baseball has made absolutely no effort (that we know of) to keep these idiots in line when they screw up. There has been the occasional suspension, but so many of these guys come back and continue sucking at their jobs.

Remember the clip of West tossing Andre Dawson at Wrigley? If you haven't seen it, I posted it in a thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128391) almost a year ago. Twenty one years later, he's still out there being a terrible umpire. And we're supposed to smile and nod ours heads in acceptance of this?

I've been more critical of Hawk than most, but he seems to have found some of his old magic this season. Whether it's because of the Sox recent surge, or for other unknown reasons, he's showing more fire and passion than I've seen from him in more than twelve or thirteen years, and it's making the Sox much more fun to watch (not that their play was hurting in that regard). I have no problem with what he said, and hope that MLB looks at this situation from both sides.

If Hawk is suspended for his comments, than Wegner deserves at least the same for making such a ridiculous decision.

TheOldRoman
05-30-2012, 04:45 PM

I dont know, small fine? Leyland did/or is? going to get 25k maybe for his umpire rants, but Hawk isn't a manager. No idea...In other words, they don't know ****, but are making up stuff to try to sound "in the know". Nobody is "looking into" punishing Hawk, and if anybody was, blowhard Terry Boers would have no knowledge of it.

Ron Karkovice
05-30-2012, 04:46 PM
In other words, they don't know ****, but are making up stuff to try to sound "in the know". Nobody is "looking into" punishing Hawk, and if anybody was, blowhard Terry Boers would have no knowledge of it.

I guess we'll see.

guillensdisciple
05-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Hahaha, that was awesome.

tebman
05-30-2012, 04:50 PM
In other words, they don't know ****, but are making up stuff to try to sound "in the know". Nobody is "looking into" punishing Hawk, and if anybody was, blowhard Terry Boers would have no knowledge of it.

:yup: :thumbsup:

kittle42
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
No doubt about it.

downstairs
05-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Full disclosure... I like Boers. But yeah... he has some inside knowledge of punishment for something that happened one freaking hour ago? No.

If MLB were to even investigate it, they'd start in a day or so.

Its not like Ron Artest running into the stands... which needed to be addressed and punished ASAP for PR reasons.

If this is even on MLB's radar, its not top priority. I promise you that.

KnightSox
05-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Am I the only one not taken aback by this? it just sounds like typical Hawk.

TheOldRoman
05-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I guess we'll see.Yes, we will. Honestly though, Boers can get by trumpeting "my sources..." about Chicago teams, but why are we to believe that we has sources with MLB's corporate office? What's more, after being told that they have to feverishly look through the bylaws to find a way to punish Hawk, the first thing that source does is call Terry Boers.

chisox12
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM

I highly doubt this is true, but if it is, what a ****ing joke. Maybe after that, they can start ejecting fans that boo???? MLB should be more worried about some of these terrible umpires than a rant that a local announcer goes on.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2012, 04:58 PM

No, you're not. Hawk has been much more lively the past few weeks, and he's had rants like this before. I'm not surprised by his behavior. He has a huge pet peeve about bad umpiring, especially where the Sox are concerned. This rant is slightly worse than others I can remember, but it's also dead-on. Wegner shouldn't have thrown anyone out without issuing a warning first, and he shouldn't have thrown Ventura out for defending his players. Terrible umpiring. Just terrible.

gobears1987
05-30-2012, 04:59 PM
If Boers does have knowledge of this, it would be the first time he (or Bernstein) ever had knowledge of anything.

kobo
05-30-2012, 05:09 PM
I highly doubt this is true, but if it is, what a ****ing joke. Maybe after that, they can start ejecting fans that boo???? MLB should be more worried about some of these terrible umpires than a rant that a local announcer goes on.
If they fine managers and players for talking **** about umpires why can't they do the same for a TV or radio announcer? MLB does not like public criticism of the umpires.

hawkjt
05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
I was as shocked and angry as Hawk was....it was simply flabbergasting that Wegner would toss Jose.

It was a purely human response,which is completely agree with.

Kevin Millar and Rose on Intentional Talk today after the game led with the Hawk rant,and they both hammered Hawk for ''going over the line''...Rose was saying that this is why fans around the league hate Hawk.
Millar said Hawk was dead wrong and this is an automatic ejection,and said that AJ had the plunking coming for coming into second spikes up the nite before,and added that is why players hate AJ. He basically said that AJ deserved to be hit,but that any intentional targeting is an automatic ejection of the pitcher.....arsehat!

Figures that B & B would hammer Hawk on this...they cannot bitch about how bad the Sox are on Bernsie's precious Fangraph stats,so they start in on Hawk. They are in the same club with Millar.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I was as shocked and angry as Hawk was....it was simply flabbergasting that Wegner would toss Jose.

Kevin Millar and Rose on Intentional Talk today after the game led with the Hawk rant,and they both hammered Hawk for ''going over the line''...Rose was saying that this is why fans around the league hate Hawk.
Millar said Hawk was dead wrong and this is an automatic ejection,and said that AJ had the plunking coming for coming into second spikes up the nite before,and added that is why players hate AJ. He basically said that AJ deserved to be hit,but that any intentional targeting is an automatic ejection of the pitcher.....arsehat!

Figures that B & B would hammer Hawk on this...they cannot bitch about how bad the Sox are on Bernsie's precious Fangraph stats,so they start in on Hawk. They are in the same club with Millar.

And the sun rises in the East...

And Nandu is adopted...

And Millar is a replacement player: he should ****...

Life goes on...

chisox12
05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
If they fine managers and players for talking **** about umpires why can't they do the same for a TV or radio announcer? MLB does not like public criticism of the umpires.

Because the announcer isn't on a ****ing roster! With that line of thought, then MLB should fine any writers who criticize umpires.

Ron Karkovice
05-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Because the announcer isn't on a ****ing roster! With that line of thought, then MLB should fine any writers who criticize umpires.

Hawk got a world series ring. The writers did not.

There's a point in there somewhere.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2012, 05:29 PM

MLB seems to have a serious problem taking legitimate criticism from broadcasters these days. If they don't want to be ripped on the air, maybe they should try improving the product on the field: that includes the umpires.

Frontman
05-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Because the players and managers are directly in contact and work with/alongside the umpires in producing the game. A commentator on TV or radio is just that. Hawk doesn't have to have direct contact with the umpires to do his job, or vice versa.

Back to Boers and Bernstein for a moment; this is one of those things they do that annoy me. They can still do the same show, but if they started their comments with "I believe/wanna bet that MLB is looking into this?" or something along those lines, they'd be fine. This "I've got peeps" is stupid. No, they don't have someone who knows what is happening in New York City after a former player turned TV play-by-play man is saying in Tampa Bay.

I suspect Hawk *may* have to apologize, but beyond that? I doubt it. They didn't fine him when he has called out Joe West for promoting himself and his country albums before umpiring a game, they're not going to get on him now about this.

WLL1855
05-30-2012, 05:35 PM

I'm not shocked Hawk doesn't have many supporters in the profession. He was pissed but I really didn't see anything disturbing come out of his mouth. He gave them the truth. If they can't handle it, screw 'em.

I can't stomach Rome (he's been a coward since before the day Jim Everett gave him a whooping on the air) but I didn't realize Millar was so much his puppet. Pretty sad that a former player is that two-faced about the game.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm not shocked Hawk doesn't have many supporters in the profession. He was pissed but I really didn't see anything disturbing come out of his mouth. He gave them the truth. If they can't handle it, screw 'em.

Most people don't like Hawk because the last few years he's just been a standardized catch phrase machine (hang wiff'em, Matt Abbatacola, He Gone!)... and he whines about every single call the Sox don't get. But there's nothing wrong with him expressing emotion in a situation like that. ****, I was only listening to the game on the radio and I was livid.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2012, 05:39 PM

I can't stomach Rome (he's been a coward since before the day Jim Everett gave him a whooping on the air) but I didn't realize Millar was so much his puppet. Pretty sad that a former player is that two-faced about the game.

Wasn't that staged?

JB98
05-30-2012, 05:40 PM

This made me chuckle.

Frontman
05-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Listened to it again a few times. He really didn't say anything I haven't heard out of other broadcasters over the years. So he said the umpire should go back to school if he doesn't know what he's doing. Big deal.

WLL1855
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Wasn't that staged?

Not to the best of my knowledge but who knows. It was almost 20 years ago.

soxinem1
05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Hawk didn't swear (although a *** moment would have been classic!), call anyone vulgar names, and called it right. It was a BS call. Besides, Zobrist is not even a guy they would want to hit. Unreal.

At least he wears his team allegiance on his sleeve, and was 100% correct.

To Hawk's detractors, maybe he should have said this:

'And here's the pitch...... way inside, actually behind Zobrist..... And... Uh, oh... Santana has been ejected from the game.... I guess the umpire felt it was intentional..... Well, there was no warning..... Hmmm, this is interesting..... That is a shame.... Santana was pitching so well..... Now he cannot get the win..... And Ventura will now argue to no avail.....'

'Well, we're going to have a pitching change and be back after this unintended commercial time out.'

RCWHITESOX
05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Hawk might not be in the class of Vin Scully; but you got to love him he tells it like he sees it.

kittle42
05-30-2012, 05:49 PM

'And here's the pitch...... way inside, actually behind Zobrist..... And... Uh, oh... Santana has been ejected from the game.... I guess the umpire felt it was intentional..... Well, there was no warning..... Hmmm, this is interesting..... That is a shame.... Santana was pitching so well..... Now he cannot get the win..... And Ventura will now argue to no avail.....'

'Well, we're going to have a pitching change and be back after this unintended commercial time out.'

Well, if he said Santana, I'd have been worried he was turning into Harry Caray.

ChiSoxGal85
05-30-2012, 05:50 PM
MLB seems to have a serious problem taking legitimate criticism from broadcasters these days. If they don't want to be ripped on the air, maybe they should try improving the product on the field: that includes the umpires.

I had noticed this season (up until today, anyway) that Hawk had been pretty restrained in criticizing the umpires, particularly balls/strikes calls. I wonder if Hawk had been told to knock it off, by the Sox or maybe MLB. Because there certainly were times that criticism was deserved, but he didn't say much.

Listened to it again a few times. He really didn't say anything I haven't heard out of other broadcasters over the years. So he said the umpire should go back to school if he doesn't know what he's doing. Big deal.

It was a *little* over the top, but it didn't shock me.

soxinem1
05-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, if he said Santana, I'd have been worried he was turning into Harry Caray.

I can't believe I wrote that. I was reading about TCQ's two-homer day today and somehow renamed him. Ugh...:scratch:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Hawk didn't swear (although a *** moment would have been classic!), call anyone vulgar names, and called it right. It was a BS call. Besides, Zobrist is not even a guy they would want to hit. Unreal.

At least he wears his team allegiance on his sleeve, and was 100% correct.

Well, Quintana WAS pitching like vintage Johan today, so I can see the mix up...

fisk4ever
05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
I thought Hawk was out of control, over the top, unprofessional.

There is a way to express displeasure and explain a point without an embarrassing rant.

I'm sure Robin and the players were just as upset, yet they weren't tossing bases and water coolers a la Ozzie or Zambrano.

It bothers me that anything goes as long as an "apology" follows.

I'm not defending the umpire or terrible call.

Parrothead
05-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Dear White Sox...

Please take the Hawks rant today as a chance to fire him and make watching games enjoyable again. He is an embarassment as an announcer.

Thank you.

Frontman
05-30-2012, 06:05 PM
I thought Hawk was out of control, over the top, unprofessional.

There is a way to express displeasure and explain a point without an embarrassing rant.

I'm sure Robin and the players were just as upset, yet they weren't tossing bases and water coolers a la Ozzie or Zambrano.

It bothers me that anything goes as long as an "apology" follows.

I'm not defending the umpire or terrible call.

Dear White Sox...

Please take the Hawks rant today as a chance to fire him and make watching games enjoyable again. He is an embarassment as an announcer.

Thank you.

The preceding posts were brought to you by unreasonable approaches to over-reaction.

:rolleyes:

Wow guys. The Sox are in 1st place by 1.5 games, we're enjoying them on an eight game win streak, and you two compare Hawk's rant to Steve Lyon's racially inappropriate commentary?

Really?

We're actually talking reality here guys. Hawk might, MIGHT of, crossed a line; but let's put it into perspective now, shall we?

kittle42
05-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I am sick of Hawk and the parody of himself he has become, but I had no problem with his rant today, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Frontman
05-30-2012, 06:10 PM
I am sick of Hawk and the parody of himself he has become, but I had no problem with his rant today, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Or as my kid puts it "A blind raccoon finds a dumpster." Lord only knows where they come up with some of these phrases.

fisk4ever
05-30-2012, 06:11 PM
The preceding posts were brought to you by unreasonable approaches to over-reaction.

:rolleyes:

Wow guys. The Sox are in 1st place by 1.5 games, we're enjoying them on an eight game win streak, and you two compare Hawk's rant to Steve Lyon's racially inappropriate commentary?

Really?

We're actually talking reality here guys. Hawk might, MIGHT of, crossed a line; but let's put it into perspective now, shall we?

Please show me where either of us compared Hawk's to Lyons. In your opinion Hawk might "of" crossed a line. In my opinion, he did cross the line.

TheVulture
05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Hawk and most of the people posting on this thread are just plain wrong.

Rule 8.02 states as follows:
The pitcher shall not intentionally pitch at the batter.
If, in the umpire's judgment, such a violation occurs, the umpire may elect either to:

Expel the pitcher, or the manager and the pitcher, from the game, or
may warn the pitcher and the manager of both teams that another such pitch will result in the immediate expulsion of that pitcher (or a replacement) and the manager.

Note that a warning is the second option according to the rules.

EMachine10
05-30-2012, 06:18 PM

If, in the umpire's judgment, such a violation occurs, the umpire may elect either to:

may warn the pitcher and the manager of both teams that another such pitch will result in the immediate expulsion of that pitcher (or a replacement) and the manager.

I think we'd be arguing semantics at this point. It's the umpire's discretion - I don't interpret that rule as a ranking system. A warning is not required, but is the typical practice of umpires throughout the league.

JB98
05-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Well, obviously the umpire has the authority to do what he did. I wouldn't call that into question. But what Wegner did was still bull****. Cobb threw at Pierzynski intentionally and nothing was done. Yet, when Quintana threw at Zobrist intentionally, action was taken.

It's an inconsistent application of the rule.

shes
05-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Why wasn't Cobb warned, then, after plunking AJ, which was pretty clear retaliation for AJ spiking Zobrist?

I think the problem most people have is that some umpires seem to be interpreting the rule book as they see fit without much regard to even-handedness.

shingo10
05-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Then why the hell wasn't Cobb tossed for hitting AJ? It was CLEARLY on purpose. If you really think Jose deserved to be ejected then that is sad. HE DIDN'T EVEN HIT THE GUY. The umpire was wrong. Clearly wrong. There is a certain protocol that has been around this game for many, many years and it wasn't respected today. Cobb should have been tossed immediately based on this line of thinking.

And then the first pitch of the next inning almost hit Rios in the head!! And he didn't say a damn thing. So anyone who agrees with the umpire....whatever.

Frontman
05-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Please show me where either of us compared Hawk's to Lyons. In your opinion Hawk might "of" crossed a line. In my opinion, he did cross the line.

And so he should be fired? You stated you don't like the idea of an apology and everything is ok. So, what kind of punishment do you feel he deserves?

If its firing, talk about over-reaction. If its a suspension, again, talk about overreaction.

You take those sorts of actions for things like Lyons. You don't take actions like suspensions and terminations for an over reaction to a clearly mishandled situation.

Had the umpire issued warnings after AJ got plunked, Hawk wouldn't have a leg to stand on. But Zobrist didn't even get hit, not even close. Hell, we can't even tell if it was an intentional pitch behind him.

shingo10
05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
By the way for anyone who thinks Hawk should be fired, there was a certain manager in Miami who made some comments earlier in this year that were a hell of a lot more offensive and he got a slap on the wrist. ANd MLB didn't even have the balls to be the ones doing the slapping.

So if you think he is gonna get FIRED over this then that's just silly.

Thome25
05-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Loved the rant...perfectly justified.

As a sidenote...also loved hearing Wimpy's voice during a White Sox broadcast....brings back so many fond memories!

LITTLE NELL
05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I was at the game and almost got into it with a Rays fan, my arguement being that there was no warning. I can't ever remember a pitcher being tossed without a warning. Terrible call.
PS. I hope AJ has no thoughts of running for Mayor of St. Pete when he retires.

Thome25
05-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Hey Kevin ****ing Millar:

Go **** yourself you former Cubbie/Red Sawx piece of ****.

Love,

Thome25

Frontman
05-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Hey Kevin ****ing Millar:

Go **** yourself you former Cubbie/Red Sawx piece of ****.

Love,

Thome25

I see ranting is contagious. MERCY!!!!

:)

Thome25
05-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Dear White Sox...

Thank you.

Dear White Sox:

This IS NOT a representation of all White Sox fans' feelings towards Hawk's rant today.

Thank you.

Thome25
05-30-2012, 06:39 PM
I see ranting is contagious. MERCY!!!!

:)

I had to LOL at your response. :D::)

RockJock07
05-30-2012, 06:45 PM
I think pairing Hawk with Stone has made games more enjoyable for me. Stone is a great complement to Hawk's rambling where as DJ just sat there and really was overshadowed by Hawk.

Hawk is kind of a weirdo but loves the Sox to the death, there are worse people out there.

P.S. love the rant but does anyone know the other "run in's" the sox have had with this particular ump? Hawk referenced it a couple times that they have had issues before.

Soxman219
05-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Hawk is insufferable at times, but not today. He was right, that call was pathetic. Don't care if the umpire doesn't have to warn players according to the rules, you HAVE to warn both benches. It unfair that Jose had to get ejected when Cobb hit Gordon, AJ, and trying to hit Rios later on. I don't know why umpires have a bad history with this team.

And **** Millar ripping on Hawk

You still living off the 2004 Red Sox you loser.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
To answer the question according to my interview with Brooks, Sox announcers are not paid by the club, they are paid by the stations they work for. However the Sox do have approval of said announcers.

Lip

Bucky F. Dent
05-30-2012, 06:57 PM

Rather than reprimand Hawk, they should engage in some serious quality control with their umpires. To quote Hawk: "That was Horse Bleep!"

DoItForDanPasqua
05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
I at least respect that Hawk is honest. I listened to some of the Ray's radio broadcast today and, as good as an announcer he is, Dave Wills comes across as a phony in his undying love for the Rays.

Please don't get me wrong, I would give my index finger if Wills would become the Sox announcer, it's just that he seems a bit insincere. Hawk on the other hand is a poor announcer, but I respect that his heart is truly with the Sox.

LongLiveFisk
05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Hawk is insufferable at times, but not today. He was right, that call was pathetic. Don't care if the umpire doesn't have to warn players according to the rules, you HAVE to warn both benches. It unfair that Jose had to get ejected when Cobb hit Gordon, AJ, and trying to hit Rios later on. I don't know why umpires have a bad history with this team.

And **** Millar ripping on Hawk

You still living off the 2004 Red Sox you loser.

Damn right. This is common sense to people with even an ounce of a brain. (I guess this doesn't apply to Kevin Millar).

fisk4ever
05-30-2012, 07:07 PM
And so he should be fired? You stated you don't like the idea of an apology and everything is ok. So, what kind of punishment do you feel he deserves?

If its firing, talk about over-reaction. If its a suspension, again, talk about overreaction.

You take those sorts of actions for things like Lyons. You don't take actions like suspensions and terminations for an over reaction to a clearly mishandled situation.

Had the umpire issued warnings after AJ got plunked, Hawk wouldn't have a leg to stand on. But Zobrist didn't even get hit, not even close. Hell, we can't even tell if it was an intentional pitch behind him.
My post did not suggest firing or suspension. I think his boss (whoever it is) needs to tell him to control himself when he's on the air. Obviously we disagree and that's ok.
My comment about apologizing later was a general statement. People seem to think they can say or tweet anything, then if they apologize the comment disappears. I was trying to say that we need to try to think first before we speak.

soxinem1
05-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Dear White Sox...

Thank you.

In Hawk's words, 'You Gotta Be Bleepin' Me!!'

LITTLE NELL
05-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Just heard the rant, on a scale of rants with Elia's being a 10, that was about a 7 from Hawk. The Trib's clip was not that long, did the rant go longer than what the Trib showed?

Frontman
05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
The rant was about two minutes total. Wimpy was chiming in too, and Hawk quieted down in the last 10-15 seconds before commercial break.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2012, 08:33 PM
It seemed like the ump was trying to make amends with the Sox for the next few innings; he was calling strikes on pitches that were six inches off the plate, and the Rays hitters were not pleased.

Dan H
05-30-2012, 08:40 PM
The rant was a bit much, but most of what Harrelson said was right. I remember growing up and watching baseball. Umpiring in the '60's was much better than it is now. Some of these umps are pathetic. I was never a fan of replay but I am becoming one now. Too bad this was a judgement call. It was a horrible one that a reply cannot correct. But Major League Baseball can correct it.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Fisk:

Hawk's "boss" is Bob Grim the director of broadcast operations, they talk every day when the team is at home.

Lip

kevingrt
05-30-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned on the thread but I love the Sox getting retaliation by throwing behind hitters.

1. It gets the point across
2. A ball is much better then an HBP

More teams should do this.

thomas35forever
05-30-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned on the thread but I love the Sox getting retaliation by throwing behind hitters.

Unless Wegner or West is umping, in which case you have to take your lumps whether you like it or not.

FielderJones
05-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Just heard the rant, on a scale of rants with Elia's being a 10, that was about a 7 from Hawk.

There was zero profanity in Hawk's rant, so I would rank it 5 tops.

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2012, 09:18 PM
They may put pressure on the Sox somehow to suspend him. What's next, trying to tell what the beat writers and radio hosts they can't talk about it.

Was what he did the best? No. Was it his right? Yes. He reports to the Sox on his commentary.

If B&B were suspended each time they went on a moronic rant, there wouldn't be much of a show anymore. :-)

Is this true reporting or B&B just being anti-Hawk?

Zakath
05-30-2012, 09:20 PM
To answer the question according to my interview with Brooks, Sox announcers are not paid by the club, they are paid by the stations they work for. However the Sox do have approval of said announcers.

So essentially the best that MLB can do is put pressure on the Sox to put pressure on CSN/WGN/WCIU to say something to Hawk. I don't believe he sees a fine or a suspension for this, and he certainly doesn't get canned for it.

I'm guessing that sometime during the game on Friday, you're going to hear Hawk issue an apology, whether he is pressured to or not.

As for other teams' fans not liking him, who gives a ****? Don't like him, watch your own team's broadcast with their milquetoast approach.

fisk4ever
05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Fisk:

Hawk's "boss" is Bob Grim the director of broadcast operations, they talk every day when the team is at home.

Lip

Lip, thanks. After I posted I saw your explanation that the announcers are paid by the networks, but approved by the team.

I love this game!

WhiteSox5187
05-30-2012, 09:30 PM

That is typically a good idea but eventually the book will come out that a team only throws behind hitters and not actually at them which could allow a team to get plunked more often and not have the opposition's hitters worry quite as much about getting hit because the ball won't actually hit them. They will feel more comfortable in the box.

The Immigrant
05-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Lip, thanks. After I posted I saw your explanation that the announcers are paid by the networks, but approved by the team.

I love this game!

They may be "paid" by the networks in the sense that the cost is covered under the TV contract, but they're not getting paychecks from three different cable networks (Comcast, WGN and WCIU). That explanation makes ZERO sense. Are those three networks also splitting the cost of their health insurance and travel expenses? Of course not. Hawk, Stone, Farmer and D.J. are all employed by the White Sox and receive paychecks from the team.

FoulTerritory
05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Man, that hawk rant is some hilarious ****. Especially the part where he calls the ump out by name: "What are you doing Wegner!"

Priceless. I'm not a huge fan of Hawk's broadcasting, but just thinking about this rant makes me chuckle.

"Wegner!"

Priceless indeed.

DonnieDarko
05-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Man, that hawk rant is some hilarious ****. Especially the part where he calls the ump out by name: "What are you doing Wegner!"

Priceless. I'm not a huge fan of Hawk's broadcasting, but just thinking about this rant makes me chuckle.

"Wegner!"

Priceless indeed.

Dude, the only video I've seen of this historic rant was 1 minute long. Certainly, it had to have been longer than that? Where can I see or hear the whole thing?

GlassSox
05-30-2012, 11:01 PM
I am not a big fan of Hawk but I loved this rant, go get 'em Hawk :bandance:

IronFisk
05-30-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm probably one of the rare Hawk fans on here, and sure he went nuts, but that's him. It was an absurd call, and potentially very harmful to our chances today.

I enjoy his passion and love for our Sox...no matter how grating it can be.

all*star quentin
05-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Dude, the only video I've seen of this historic rant was 1 minute long. Certainly, it had to have been longer than that? Where can I see or hear the whole thing?

I think Hawks rant went on for only a minute, then WGN cut to commercial.

EDIT: See MGSF post.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-31-2012, 12:03 AM

2 minutes and 31 seconds of Hawk goodness, courtesy of Deadspin. (http://deadspin.com/5914346/ken-hawk-harrelson-melts-down-after-white-sox-pitcher-ejected-for-throwing-behind-a-batter)

Parrothead
05-31-2012, 06:31 AM

Nope. The post was brought to you from a listener who thinks the Hawk is about 10 years past his time and just sucks as an announcer now. Put him out to pasture. One of the happiest days in my life will be when the Sox dump the Hawk. I will be able to watch the Sox game with the sound on again. Can't wait.

Agreed.

voodoochile
05-31-2012, 07:06 AM

I was actually just going to prepare a post to the opposite. Obviously if throwing behind a guy gets your pitcher ejected and it does seem to appear that the ump can legally do that then the obvious choice is to simply start sticking the ball in the batters ribs.

tstrike2000
05-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Just watching Hawk's reaction, it's not actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess because I've heard a couple of Hawk's rants before, this one wasn't any better or worse than those. The umpire should've warned both benches instead of ejecting Quintana. It's a similar situation to the Cubs game where the ump acted correctly.

TheOldRoman
05-31-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm probably one of the rare Hawk fans on here, and sure he went nuts, but that's him. It was an absurd call, and potentially very harmful to our chances today.

I enjoy his passion and love for our Sox...no matter how grating it can be.I enjoyed this post because, after looking at your signature, I read it in a Christopher Walken voice.

Jerko
05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
I was actually just going to prepare a post to the opposite. Obviously if throwing behind a guy gets your pitcher ejected and it does seem to appear that the ump can legally do that then the obvious choice is to simply start sticking the ball in the batters ribs.

I agree. You would think actually getting hit is worse, but this is twice now that the Sox pitcher got in more trouble for NOT hitting a guy than the other teams' pitchers who actually hit the Sox players did. It also seems you have to strike first. OR...........do it like Floyd. Just look so out of control that when you actually hit 3 guys noboy even questions you.

FielderJones
05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-harrelson-erupts-after-quintana-ejection-20120530,0,33900.story

Hawk does not fall under MLB's control. Why am I not surprised that Boers is full of ****.

harwar
05-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Hawk can be terribly annoying at times but i'm glad that he's still in the booth .. sometimes i do wonder if he's on the same meds as i am, that make me lose control so often, but when he is finally replaced by some smooth talking and politically announcer, it could be that it will be easier to listen, but it also will feel to me,like something is missing ..

TomBradley72
05-31-2012, 10:43 AM
I have no issue at all with Hawk- every local announcer I have ever listened to has their flaws- but after bouncing around the country for years and listening to so many other 100% generic/faceless/plastic announcers for other teams via the local stations or MLB Extra Innings- I'm glad he's our announcer- when me and the wife and our friends are watching- we kind of shake our heads sometimes (like a crazy uncle)- but I like his pure fan passion- I'm obsessed with White Sox baseball but I don't take it seriously- it's just fun- and he helps make it fun.

Of the 4 current White Sox broadcasters- I like him the best. I won't blink an eye when Farmer, DJ (I'll celebrate his departure) or Stone leave. And when he's paired with Paciorek- I'll keep the game on JUST to listen to the 2 of them regardless of what's going on in the game.

Some day he'll be gone and some generic "Gary Thorne" announcer will replace him at it won't be as much fun anymore.

Chez
05-31-2012, 10:53 AM

+1. Love the Hawk, love his goofy stories and Hawkisms. Love the fact that that our announcer is an unapologetic homer. Love the fact that when I go to a game with my sons, they will break into Hawkisms every 30 seconds in an over-the-top drawl. And love the rant. It's hysterical.

#1swisher
05-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Listen to Hawk and Coop on Mully and Hanley

HAWK:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/31/hawk-not-backing-down-on-umpire-rant-i-meant-what-i-said/

COOPER:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/31/cooper-nothing-wrong-with-hawks-rant/

SOXBOY
05-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Love Hawk say what you want but he's a true fan of the Sox. Yesterday when Quintanna got thrown out I was just as mad as Hawk. To me it will be a sad day when Hawk hangs it up.

everafan
05-31-2012, 11:18 AM

B&B with their veiled inferences. Just a ploy to make it seem like they have sources. This is a perfect example - there's no way to prove MLB is or is not looking into it. So they are probably guessing and if they guess right it looks like they are connected. If they guess wrong there are no consequences.

everafan
05-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Then why the hell wasn't Cobb tossed for hitting AJ? It was CLEARLY on purpose. If you really think Jose deserved to be ejected then that is sad. HE DIDN'T EVEN HIT THE GUY. The umpire was wrong. Clearly wrong. There is a certain protocol that has been around this game for many, many years and it wasn't respected today. Cobb should have been tossed immediately based on this line of thinking.

And then the first pitch of the next inning almost hit Rios in the head!! And he didn't say a damn thing. So anyone who agrees with the umpire....whatever.

First - I hate the retribution thing. Secondly, Quintana's intent was fairly obvious. BUT - Wegner is not qualified to judge intent. Consider the following -

Everyone seems to have forgotten that in the previous game, Beckham also slid hard into 2nd. Subsequently, he was plunked the following day. I assume the umpires pay attention to the game <sarcasm>.

Assuming Wegner was doing his job, he could only conclude that there was at least questionable intent when Beckham was plunked. When AJ was then plunked, any reasonable person would conclude that it was obvious intent. So, adhereing to the "judgement' rule Cobb should have been ejected when AJ was hit. Cobb had to obvious intent.

I think that Wegner believed that AJ deserved his punishment and went on to punish the Sox because of his bias against AJ and maybe the Sox in general. Can't have vigilante umps in the game.

gobears1987
05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Is this true reporting or B&B just being anti-Hawk?

It's the pair of Score clowns being anti-Hawk. Neither Boers nor Bernstein know anything.

October26
05-31-2012, 11:59 AM
+1. Love the Hawk, love his goofy stories and Hawkisms. Love the fact that that our announcer is an unapologetic homer. Love the fact that when I go to a game with my sons, they will break into Hawkisms every 30 seconds in an over-the-top drawl. And love the rant. It's hysterical.

Love Hawk say what you want but he's a true fan of the Sox. Yesterday when Quintanna got thrown out I was just as mad as Hawk. To me it will be a sad day when Hawk hangs it up.

My feelings exactly. I love Hawk Harrelson and I loved that rant yesterday. My 21 year old daughter heard Hawk's rant and exclaimed: "Hawk is awesome!"

Lip Man 1
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Immigrant:

Sorry, no.

Please read the last paragraph, thank you.

Lip

pudge
05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
As a total side note, man I miss Wimpy. Steve Stone is great, but he has odd chemistry with Hawk. This last series reminded me that Wimpy and Hawk were the best combo, they are hilarious. Wimpy: "They're really pounding that potato around." Who else gives you a line like that??

pudge
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Nope. The post was brought to you from a listener who thinks the Hawk is about 10 years past his time and just sucks as an announcer now. Put him out to pasture. One of the happiest days in my life will be when the Sox dump the Hawk. I will be able to watch the Sox game with the sound on again. Can't wait.

Agreed.

It's going to be sad and dull when he's gone. Have fun with that generic announcer who replaces him, you'll be one of the few enjoying yourself. People who think this way boggle my mind.

At the same time, technology is changing to the point where I rarely sit and watch a game anymore anyway, soon it won't matter who is broadcasting, highlights will be streamed right to your iPad.

Madvora
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Immigrant:

Sorry, no.

Lip
Hilarious. Hawk loves Advil.

The Immigrant
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Immigrant:

Sorry, no.

Lip

I stand corrected. Thanks.

PeteWard
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM

Typical Hawk? Yes. The ravings of a fool.

pythons007
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
It's going to be sad and dull when he's gone. Have fun with that generic announcer who replaces him, you'll be one of the few enjoying yourself. People who think this way boggle my mind.

At the same time, technology is changing to the point where I rarely sit and watch a game anymore anyway, soon it won't matter who is broadcasting, highlights will be streamed right to your iPad.

These two quotes is probably what you'll see....:D:

Harry Doyle: Rick Vaughn gets the starting call today. We're told he matured a lot over the winter. Apparently he's bathing now. Congratulations, Rick. As you know, Monte, Vaughn's been working on a couple of new pitches, the Eliminator and the Humilator, to complement his fastball, the Terminator.
Monte: I heard that.
Harry Doyle: Dynamite drop-in, Monte. That broadcast school has really paid off.

Harry Doyle: [Drinking whiskey, and sounding drunk] Hello, fans. Welcome back to major league baseball, sort of. Today's attendende is...
[Looks at his paper]
Harry Doyle: 1,214. Most of them left after the 10-run inning the red Sox put up, take over Monte, I'm in the bag.
[Passes out on the desk]
Monte: [Slightly excited] Me?
[Sees Cerrano hit a line drive]
Monte: Fly ball,
[sees the Red Sox right fielder catch the ball]
Monte: caught.

TomBradley72
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Typical Hawk? Yes. The ravings of a fool.

Yep-a fool.

1967 AL Pennant
1968 #3 in MVP Voting
1968 AL All Star
131 career homers
Career ended due to a broken leg in 1970-
50+ years in major league baseball

He's always spoken his mind throughout his career- got him in trouble with Charlie Finley (KC A's), Red Sox ownership (late 70's) and throughout his time with the Sox.

He's accomplished more in his career than 99% of the people that post here and it seems like (right or wrong) he's always had the balls to say what he thinks.

GoGoCrede
05-31-2012, 01:35 PM

People assume that because others don't like Hawk that they'd rather have some boring announcer. :rolleyes: Surely there's a happy medium between Hawk and the boring announcer to be had without Hawk fans getting so defensive over the non-fans. It's okay that we disagree.

FielderJones
05-31-2012, 01:38 PM
He's accomplished more in his career than 99% of the people that post here and it seems like (right or wrong) he's always had the balls to say what he thinks.

:thumbsup: :clap:

I'm also part of the dopey minority that likes Hawk for what he is -- a passionate homer who enjoys the game and tells it how he sees it.

Madvora
05-31-2012, 01:44 PM
:thumbsup: :clap:

I'm also part of the dopey minority that likes Hawk for what he is -- a passionate homer who enjoys the game and tells it how he sees it.
I'm one of the people who likes Hawk too, we may not necessarily be in the minority, we just have less to say. There's no reason to start a thread saying "I like Hawk", but one about him going crazy gets a lot of attention.

You can compare this to Farmer. I can't stand the guy and complain about him all the time, but the people who like him aren't that vocal.

DSpivack
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm one of the people who likes Hawk too, we may not necessarily be in the minority, we just have less to say. There's no reason to start a thread saying "I like Hawk", but one about him going crazy gets a lot of attention.

You can compare this to Farmer. I can't stand the guy and complain about him all the time, but the people who like him aren't that vocal.

I only like listening to Farmer to hear what long-winded story or anecdote he will come up with next.

When it comes to Hawk, I think I'm in a very small minority: I neither love nor hate him. Sometimes I like him, sometimes I don't.

soltrain21
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
He was right. Still wish he'd go away.

Tragg
05-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Wimpy kind of kisses Hawk's ass.

How about Stone and Wimpy as the team.

hdog1017
05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
You know who was the best at ranting about the umpires....YAZ!

ChiSoxGirl
05-31-2012, 03:02 PM
You know who was the best at ranting about the umpires....YAZ!

:lol: Nicely done.

EdHerman12
05-31-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't care fpr Boers & Bernstein, but that clip of them from the radio was hysterical...Yosemite Hawk! There's too much White Sox in Harrelson....

Frontman
05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
I tell you, I'm amazed at how divided the Sox fan base can be. Half of us wanted Ozzie ran out of town, some as early as November of 2005. Half of us love Hawk/the other half seem ready to piss on the man's grave.

Amazing. Let's just get ready to enjoy King Felix versus Jake Peavy tomorrow night. MERCY!

GoGoCrede
05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Wimpy kind of kisses Hawk's ass.

How about Stone and Wimpy as the team.

I liked Frank in the booth. :shrug:

fisk4ever
05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
People assume that because others don't like Hawk that they'd rather have some boring announcer. :rolleyes: Surely there's a happy medium between Hawk and the boring announcer to be had without Hawk fans getting so defensive over the non-fans. It's okay that we disagree.

Exactly.

SephClone89
05-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Yep-a fool.

1967 AL Pennant
1968 #3 in MVP Voting
1968 AL All Star
131 career homers
Career ended due to a broken leg in 1970-
50+ years in major league baseball

I don't see what this has to do with anything.

I liked Frank in the booth. :shrug:

"No doubt about it."

BigKlu59
05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Hawk is Hawk... Blemishes and all. What he said would have been said by any seed spittin team mate in the dougout.. He is an ex-player and his rant was true to form. Sure, a generic talking head would have taken the league genuflect to the bespeckled pillowholder in blue's action as a sactamonious action... Thats what separates one of the few homers left in the booth from Caspar Milqtoast MLB.

More power to Hawk... Harry does this and we'd be buying him rounds foot on rail..

Enjoyed Wimpy back in the booth.. Its a different banter when you have two pokers in the booth as to a poker and a pitcher..

BK59

BigKlu59
05-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Hawk is Hawk... Blemishes and all. What he said would have been said by any seed spittin team mate in the dougout.. He is an ex-player and his rant was true to form. Sure, a generic talking head would have taken the league genuflect to the bespeckled pillowholder in blue's action as a sactamonious action... Thats what separates one of the few homers left in the booth from Caspar Milqtoast MLB.

More power to Hawk... Harry does this and we'd be buying him rounds, foot on rail..

Enjoyed Wimpy back in the booth.. Its a different banter when you have two pokers in the booth as to a poker and a pitcher..

BK59

dickallen15
05-31-2012, 06:14 PM

Hawk does not fall under MLB's control. Why am I not surprised that Boers is full of ****.
Yet you will never hear their "sources" which I believe is their imaginations ,were wrong.

I finally listened to it, I didn't find it nearly as brutal as its made out to be. The ejection was brutal. Hawk's call was not. Long live the Hawk.

jdm2662
05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Yet you will never hear their "sources" which I believe is their imaginations ,were wrong.

I finally listened to it, I didn't find it nearly as brutal as its made out to be. The ejection was brutal. Hawk's call was not. Long live the Hawk.

Yeah, God forbid a North Shore snob, pompous ass like Dan Bernstein ever admit he was wrong. Yet, on the very few times he might GUESS (and the term guess, meaning talking out of his ass), you won't hear the end of it.

Parrothead
05-31-2012, 06:31 PM

I will enjoy myself when the Hawk is gone. Thanks. I am sure the Sox can find someone entertaining enough to replacing him. They did fine before him and will do so after he is gone.

Well said.

DSpivack
05-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, God forbid a North Shore snob, pompous ass like Dan Bernstein ever admit he was wrong. Yet, on the very few times he might GUESS (and the term guess, meaning talking out of his ass), you won't hear the end of it.

This North Shore snob found nothing wrong with Hawk's rant!

Zakath
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM

That's basically what it boils down to. He is who he is, and he doesn't try to apologize for the fact that he's cheering for the team. I grew up in Pittsburgh listening to Bob Prince, who was also a pretty big homer. Nothing wrong with that when you're not doing a national broadcast.

It's a refreshing change, but there's no question that Stoney is, IMO, the best color guy in the game. There's no one out there today that knows the game better.

WhiteSoxOnly
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM

More power to Hawk... Harry does this and we'd be buying him rounds, foot on rail..

BK59

Attaway there Klu, we sees it the same.

GlassSox
05-31-2012, 07:23 PM

:thumbsup:

PaleHoser
05-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Some day he'll be gone and some generic "Gary Thorne" announcer will replace him at it won't be as much fun anymore.

Gary Thorne's been here already. Worked out so well that IIRC, Channel 32 sued the Sox to get out of their contract because the broadcasts were so dreadful.

thomas35forever
05-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Let me get this straight. Johnny Most (longtime Celtics voice) was one of the most homerish announcers in the history of sports, yet he's also one of the most respected. And Hawk divides our own fan base? What do people want? Give me Hawk over almost any national announcer any day.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-31-2012, 09:11 PM

Yeah, if we are the minority then so be it but I don't think that's true. I have spent every summer listening to Hawk since before I was in kindergarten. He might as well be a third grandfather for as long as I have been sitting around hearing his stories. And I ****ing love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Ron Karkovice
05-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, if we are the minority then so be it but I don't think that's true. I have spent every summer listening to Hawk since before I was in kindergarten. He might as well be a third grandfather for as long as I have been sitting around hearing his stories. And I ****ing love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Samesies.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Gary Thorne's been here already. Worked out so well that IIRC, Channel 32 sued the Sox to get out of their contract because the broadcasts were so dreadful.

I'm just glad that I don't have to listen to him during NHL broadcasts anymore. Good grief!

LongLiveFisk
05-31-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm just glad that I don't have to listen to him during NHL broadcasts anymore. Good grief!

IMO, he was even worse in baseball. He's not the most excitable guy to begin with and then you put him in a slower-paced game like baseball?

:sleep:

thomas35forever
06-01-2012, 01:38 AM
He's done play-by-play for the last three EA Sports NHL games.

PeteWard
06-01-2012, 02:45 AM
Let me get this straight. Johnny Most (longtime Celtics voice) was one of the most homerish announcers in the history of sports, yet he's also one of the most respected. And Hawk divides our own fan base? What do people want? Give me Hawk over almost any national announcer any day.

It's not his homerism so much, hell Harry and Jimmy were homers and they were the best. It's his accent, his high school macho tag lines and general imbecility and many other things that made me dislike him from Day 1.

PeteWard
06-01-2012, 02:48 AM

I can meet true Sox fans at the corner bar who shout at the tv screen along with me. That doesn't make any of us good announcers.

Frontman
06-01-2012, 07:41 AM

He is the sometimes annoying uncle you wish would shut up, but you'd miss him if he wasn't there. He might be corny, he might be off base, but he's been a part of White Sox baseball for a generation. Hard to imagine him gone one day.

Good stuff TGF.

WhiffleBall
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Loved Hawk's rant. I'm yet to meet a Sox fan outside of this board that wants Hawk replaced. Sure, plenty of older fans disliked him as a GM, but they now love him in the booth. Farmer on the other hand is disliked by many.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Loved Hawk's rant. I'm yet to meet a Sox fan outside of this board that wants Hawk replaced. Sure, plenty of older fans disliked him as a GM, but they now love him in the booth. Farmer on the other hand is disliked by many.Oh, there are plenty. They post on other Sox message boards.:tongue: For the most part, though, the people who hate Hawk are the younger, "I'm a Sox fan but I hate them because they are the worst organization ever and I am smarter than them" fans, so I imagine they hate Hawk more for being "old guard" than for his merits as an announcer.

GoGoCrede
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Oh, there are plenty. They post on other Sox message boards.:tongue: For the most part, though, the people who hate Hawk are the younger, "I'm a Sox fan but I hate them because they are the worst organization ever and I am smarter than them" fans, so I imagine they hate Hawk more for being "old guard" than for his merits as an announcer.

Yeah....no. I'm younger but those are not my reasons. I am sure Hawk's a great guy, I just don't get why I can't dislike him as an announcer without people making assumptions about why that is?

TheOldRoman
06-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah....no. I'm younger but those are not my reasons. I am sure Hawk's a great guy, I just don't get why I can't dislike him as an announcer without people making assumptions about why that is?I didn't say everyone, so I am not implying that is why you dislike Hawk. Just a generality I have noticed. You are free to dislike Hawk.

kobo
06-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Oh, there are plenty. They post on other Sox message boards.:tongue: For the most part, though, the people who hate Hawk are the younger, "I'm a Sox fan but I hate them because they are the worst organization ever and I am smarter than them" fans, so I imagine they hate Hawk more for being "old guard" than for his merits as an announcer.
I'm 36 and I hate Hawk because he's not good at his job. While I love that he is a homer and lives and dies with the White Sox he's just not a good announcer. He's a fan in the booth, and I've grown tired of the catch phrases, the silence during the game when the Sox are playing bad, his innings long rants about a call that went against the Sox. It's all old. I want to know about the game when I watch the game. Talk about the game, what's going on within the game, and sprinkle in some stories and memories. What really sucks is that there are moments when Hawk talks about the game and knows what he's talking about, but then he just goes back to being Hawk.

white sox bill
06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Whether you love him or hate him, Hawk is getting PR. Maybe thats what he wanted.

#1swisher
06-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Both, Jerry Reinsdorf and Bud Selig, called Ken Harrelson.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7995172/bud-selig-jerry-reinsdorf-talk-hawk-harrelson-rant

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 11:06 AM

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7995172/bud-selig-jerry-reinsdorf-talk-hawk-harrelson-rant

Good. He should have been talked to a long time ago about his insane outbursts.

beasly213
06-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Bores brought up a good point the other day. If Hawk hates the umps so much why doesn't he ever bring it up with "The Greatest Commish MLB has ever had" when he has come up to the booth in the past for Sox games?

I like Hawk though and I can't imagine listening to a Sox season without him.

hawkjt
06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Good. He should have been talked to a long time ago about his insane outbursts.

Yes,our long national nightmare is finally over...Hawk has been muted.
Now, your can sleep easy again, the horror,the horror...no more.

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes,our long national nightmare is finally over...Hawk has been muted.
Now, your can sleep easy again, the horror,the horror...no more.

Yes, because that is TOTALLY what I am saying. I don't like him as a broadcaster and am talking about in a thread about his broadcasting skills. Obviously it keeps me up at night.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Bores brought up a good point the other day. If Hawk hates the umps so much why doesn't he ever bring it up with "The Greatest Commish MLB has ever had" when he has come up to the booth in the past for Sox games?

I like Hawk though and I can't imagine listening to a Sox season without him.That's not a good point at all, it's imbecilic. Even if Hawk is employed by the networks and not the team, it's probably not a good career choice to bombard the commissioner with a "gotcha" question when he is there to do his normal PR fluff. What the hell would Selig be expected to say? "You're right, Ken. I have noticed the the umpires are largely incompetant boobs and we need to start firing them." The team still has a say in who the networks hire. Anyone who did that would be permanently blackballed from broadcasting baseball.

beasly213
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
That's not a good point at all, it's imbecilic. Even if Hawk is employed by the networks and not the team, it's probably not a good career choice to bombard the commissioner with a "gotcha" question when he is there to do his normal PR fluff. What the hell would Selig be expected to say? "You're right, Ken. I have noticed the the umpires are largely incompetant boobs and we need to start firing them." The team still has a say in who the networks hire. Anyone who did that would be permanently blackballed from broadcasting baseball.

Then Hawk shouldn't literally scream about the umpires and demanding answers as to why they aren't held accountable. He wants answers, ask the guy in charge.

gobears1987
06-01-2012, 12:12 PM

I lost a little respect for Jerry here.

beasly213
06-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Why?

gobears1987
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Why?

It's pretty clear he bowed to Bud here. Hawk should be allowed to go on his rants, especially when they are so deserved. Hawk has been better about not ripping umpires, but in this case he let loose because the umpire was 100% asking for it. When Hawk goes off like this or when he went off on Joe West, it was called for. He wasn't reprimanded in the past nor should he be now.

beasly213
06-01-2012, 12:41 PM
It's pretty clear he bowed to Bud here. Hawk should be allowed to go on his rants, especially when they are so deserved. Hawk has been better about not ripping umpires, but in this case he let loose because the umpire was 100% asking for it. When Hawk goes off like this or when he went off on Joe West, it was called for. He wasn't reprimanded in the past nor should he be now.

Jerry and Bud have been friends for a really long time now so it's not a shocker he's on Bud's side. A big reason I think Hawk's rants have calmed on umpires is the use of Pitch Trax.

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 01:08 PM

I'd rather see him bow to Bud and make it all right with the MLB instead of Jerry sticking behind Hawk and being on a bunch of umps' bad sides because of a jackass announcer.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2012, 01:12 PM
This comes under the heading of 'for what its worth to you...'

Just got some information from a source in the broadcasting industry.

"Couple things you might want to be aware of... I heard that JR sent a message to Hawk during the rant...to shut the **** up...he was not pleased with the rant while it was going on.

There was a post on WSI that Jerry 'bowed' to pressure from Bud... Jerry sent his message right then and there.

I'm sure Bud's big concern was that the game was on WGN America. I wonder if it would have been a big story if it was on CSN Chicago."

Lip

shingo10
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
The most concerning part of this for me is that if Hawk isn't allowed to express his true emotion in the moment of the game then they've essentially guaranteed that we are going to get a dishonest bull**** broadcast. What was he supposed to say? That it was good call? Geez, this whole thing is a joke.

Why wasn't there outrage when he did the same thing against Brian Gorman when Buehrle got tossed in 05?

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
The most concerning part of this for me is that if Hawk isn't allowed to express his true emotion in the moment of the game then they've essentially guaranteed that we are going to get a dishonest bull**** broadcast. What was he supposed to say? That it was good call? Geez, this whole thing is a joke.

Why wasn't there outrage when he did the same thing against Brian Gorman when Buehrle got tossed in 05?

Is there no happy medium between an announcer flipping his **** like someone stole his cookies or having a dishonest bull**** broadcast? I wasn't aware it was that black and white.

#1swisher
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
On Twitter

vice president of sales and marketing Brooks Boyer said Harrelson will address the rant during Friday's telecast."

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
On Twitter

vice president of sales and marketing Brooks Boyer said Harrelson will address the rant during Friday's telecast."

Sounds like we might be hearing an apology from Hawk which is a bunch of BS.
This really is turning into a joke.

FielderJones
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM

I know it would never happen, but wouldn't it be great for Hawk to just do a regular broadcast, and then as the game is ending to double down and go out in a blaze of glory? It would be so awesome for Hawk to tell the truth to power one last time.

I would miss Hawk, but that would be legendary.

MarySwiss
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I think you hit it, Nell.

I'm pretty sure this won't happen because it's obvious--love him or hate him--that this job is Hawk's life and he loves it, but what I'd like to hear from him is a refusal to apologize. No reason he should; the whole thing was bull****, and he rightly called it what it was.

This one's for you, Hawk! :gulp:

Edit: Wow, Fielder!

ChiSoxGal85
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
My guess is Hawk will apologize for going "over the top" in his rant, but will not apologize for his opinion on the matter. :smile:

MarySwiss
06-01-2012, 02:36 PM
My guess is Hawk will apologize for going "over the top" in his rant, but will not apologize for his opinion on the matter. :smile:

Hmmmm. That would work! :D:

bigsoxfan420
06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I know it would never happen, but wouldn't it be great for Hawk to just do a regular broadcast, and then as the game is ending to double down and go out in a blaze of glory? It would be so awesome for Hawk to tell the truth to power one last time.

I vote for this only if it would rid us of the joke that is Hawk Harrelson.

Ron Karkovice
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM

u mad?

Paulwny
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I'd rather see him bow to Bud and make it all right with the MLB instead of Jerry sticking behind Hawk and being on a bunch of umps' bad sides because of a jackass announcer.

That's what I fear, being on the bad side of umps = losing close calls.

The Immigrant
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM

So long as Ventura or any of the players are not publicly ripping the umpires (unlike, say, Jim Leyland is doing these days), this is not a real concern. If anything, the knowledge that Hawk is always just a moment away from screaming out your name during a live broadcast should be enough incentive for any umpire to stay in line. :tongue:

Paulwny
06-01-2012, 03:08 PM
So long as Ventura or any of the players are not publicly ripping the umpires (unlike, say, Jim Leyland is doing these days), this is not a real concern. If anything, the knowledge that Hawk is always just a moment away from screaming out your name during a live broadcast should be enough incentive for any umpire to stay in line. :tongue:

An unwritten rule of baseball, "never embarrass an umpire". Close calls can go either way. After JR talked to Hawk the muzzle has been put on, I doubt he'll be critical of umpires for some time.

DonnieDarko
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
u mad?

he mad

shingo10
06-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Is there no happy medium between an announcer flipping his **** like someone stole his cookies or having a dishonest bull**** broadcast? I wasn't aware it was that black and white.

Well what should have been "proper" announcing for what happened in Tampa? Two Sox got hit, NO ONE from Tampa got hit and the Sox take the fall for it?

I thought his call was spot on but now he can't do that because Buddy gets all pissed off that someone dares to take a stand against his precious umpires? It's ridiculous.

Chez
06-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Like that scene from the movie Network, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

seventyseven
06-01-2012, 03:49 PM

I know nothing about that.

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/files/t_32069.jpg

Frontman
06-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Hawk will apologize, life will move on. Shouldn't be more than that.

Thankfully, Joe West isn't in town for the Sox/Mariners series......

BarbG
06-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Me too.

Hawk said nothing wrong. His "rant" was actually quite mild considering the blatant application of the rules towards one team and not the other, and very mild compared to what I was thinking at the time. If BOTH teams don't have to follow the rules why bother having them?

You've gotta be bleeping me.

fisk4ever
06-01-2012, 04:15 PM

That would be just right, in my opinion on the matter.

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Well what should have been "proper" announcing for what happened in Tampa? Two Sox got hit, NO ONE from Tampa got hit and the Sox take the fall for it?

I thought his call was spot on but now he can't do that because Buddy gets all pissed off that someone dares to take a stand against his precious umpires? It's ridiculous.

...You act as if this is the first time someone is getting in trouble for speaking out against the umpiring/reffing of a league.

And what would you prefer Selig to do? He has an image/league to protect. Of course he is going to be pissed when a broadcaster is having a ****ing heart attack in the booth about something that an ump did.

PeteWard
06-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Totally agree. :gulp:

shingo10
06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
...You act as if this is the first time someone is getting in trouble for speaking out against the umpiring/reffing of a league.

And what would you prefer Selig to do? He has an image/league to protect. Of course he is going to be pissed when a broadcaster is having a ****ing heart attack in the booth about something that an ump did.

I think there are a lot bigger issues for him to worry about then people criticizing the umpires. In fact maybe if the umpires weren't having such a horrid year so far this wouldn't have offended him so much.

RealFan
06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Totally agree. :gulp:

Couldn't disagree more. Love the Hawk. He is White Sox baseball.

Hawk is quite the divisive topic!

soltrain21
06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I think there are a lot bigger issues for him to worry about then people criticizing the umpires. In fact maybe if the umpires weren't having such a horrid year so far this wouldn't have offended him so much.

He had a phone conversation with Hawk. It was what? 10 minutes?

Frontman
06-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Umpires blow calls every day. This year isn't more or less than other years. Heck, wasn't last year, a perfect game screwed up by a bad call?

That being said, what are these "bigger issues" Selig should be focused on?

slavko
06-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Since he said that he meant every word yesterday, CSG85 has probably nailed it.

October26
06-01-2012, 04:55 PM

This would be awesome, Fielder. :D:

Me too.

Hawk said nothing wrong. His "rant" was actually quite mild considering the blatant application of the rules towards one team and not the other, and very mild compared to what I was thinking at the time. If BOTH teams don't have to follow the rules why bother having them?

You've gotta be bleeping me.

:thumbsup:

:hawk
"You got that right, BarbG!"

Noneck
06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Harrelson owes his broadcasting career to Reinsdorf and when Reinsdorf says jump, Harrelson will and should say How high. This isnt about right or wrong, its about being totally under control by the owner. This is the way this organization works.

Harry Chappas
06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Couple of things...

- It looks like Boers and Bernstein were right. Even if they were just throwing stuff against the wall to see if it stuck, it did STICK. Hawk was reprimanded by both MLB and the White Sox.

- I think Hawk had every right to be angry, but he went too far. I have no warm spot in my heart for umps, but they're human (well, most of them) and can/will make mistakes and act in the heat of the moment. These dudes have to make a living too. You can vehemently disagree with something but do it with a modicum of class, respect, and courtesy. I think Hawk crossed a line.

- These umps don't live in a vacuum. Every one of them is aware of the outburst and call me crazy but I'd rather have them on our side or at least even-handed than have this stick in their craw. Of course, what the announcer says shouldn't have any baring on how they call a game, but again, they're human. Who knows? A strike zone may shrink a bit or a bang/bang play may go against us. You'd like to think that stuff doesn't happen, but why chance it?

JB98
06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I loathe forced apologies.

If you meant what you said, no apology is owed. Even if I disagreed with Hawk (I don't in this case), I wouldn't call for him to apologize. Whatever someone's true opinion is, I'll hear it and deal with it. One thing I cannot stand is listening to an insincere apology from someone who was forced to do so. I'll take what's real. I'm not interested in any contrived BS.

Noneck
06-01-2012, 05:12 PM

If you meant what you said, no apology is owed. Even if I disagreed with Hawk (I don't in this case), I wouldn't call for him to apologize. Whatever someone's true opinion is, I'll hear it and deal with it. One thing I cannot stand is listening to an insincere apology from someone who was forced to do so. I'll take what's real. I'm not interested in any contrived BS.

Thats life these days, most have to do what it takes to survive. I do agree with you but also understand knuckling under.

BarbG
06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Umpires blow calls every day. This year isn't more or less than other years. Heck, wasn't last year, a perfect game screwed up by a bad call?

Actually, yes it is. Especially during the last 10 years they have gotten noticeably progressively worse and worse.

I would have a lot more respect for Selig and MLB if they just admitted that umpires are human and make mistakes like everybody else. This "shut up and accept it, forget about it, pretend it never happened" attitude toward blatantly bad, game-changing calls (not close calls but BLATANTLY bad calls, including the ones in our favor) - treating us as if we don't have eyes or brains - is tarnishing the sport that I have been passionate about for over 40 years.

Hawk said nothing wrong. He didn't call Wegner any names, it was not a personal attack. He said he needs to learn the rules, and he was right. If a rule applies to one team and not the other, you need to learn the rules! He said there needs to be accountability, and I agree. Every paid profession on the planet has accountability, what makes umpires immune?

What was Hawk supposed to say?

"Quintana has been ejected."

...silence...

"Ventura has been ejected."

...silence...

"Ball one." ???

And Paciorek had plenty to say too, why is HE not being reprimanded?

What a bunch of BS.

JB98
06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Thats life these days, most have to do what it takes to survive. I do agree with you but also understand knuckling under.

Yeah, that is the way of the world these days. Just pointing out that it's a pet peeve of mine.

kufram
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Like someone said earlier... a perfect game was blown by an ump last year and dignity prevailed. It can happen.

You don't have to declare the end of the universe because of a decision by an ump... you can actually rise above it. We won the damn game.

SaltyPretzel
06-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Like someone said earlier... a perfect game was blown by an ump last year and dignity prevailed. It can happen.

You don't have to declare the end of the universe because of a decision by an ump... you can actually rise above it. We won the damn game.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. It's like making errors on the baseball field. You can deal with the physical errors, but the mental ones are the ones you get most upset about.

SephClone89
06-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Note: Galarraga's "imperfect game" was 2010, not last year.

Frontman
06-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Actually, yes it is. Especially during the last 10 years they have gotten noticeably progressively worse and worse.

I would have a lot more respect for Selig and MLB if they just admitted that umpires are human and make mistakes like everybody else. This "shut up and accept it, forget about it, pretend it never happened" attitude toward blatantly bad, game-changing calls (not close calls but BLATANTLY bad calls, including the ones in our favor) - treating us as if we don't have eyes or brains - is tarnishing the sport that I have been passionate about for over 40 years.

I thought we were talking about umpires, not the use of PEDs....... :wink:

Seriously, Selig is the Commissioner and all-time expert on the "pretend it never happened" strategy towards how he manages MLB. Can we say disappearing corked bat?

doublem23
06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Not really an apology... Just came off as a sincere effort not to embarrass himself again down the road:

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Change-after-the-rant-Hawk-would-rather-?blockID=717954&feedID=661&awid=8722758169678180887-915

Frontman
06-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Not really an apology... Just came off as a sincere effort not to embarrass himself again down the road:

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Change-after-the-rant-Hawk-would-rather-?blockID=717954&feedID=661&awid=8722758169678180887-915

And at the end of the day, if that's good enough for JR and good enough for MLB; that's good enough for me.

Enough of drama, back to baseball.

Brian26
06-01-2012, 06:41 PM
On Twitter

I find it comical that Brooks is quoted in a couple of the articles as an authoritative figure in the Sox organization, saying "Hawk won't do that again." Big eyeroll to that. That's a bigger joke than anything Hawk said.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I find it comical that Brooks is quoted in a couple of the articles as an authoritative figure in the Sox organization, saying "Hawk won't do that again." Big eyeroll to that. That's a bigger joke than anything Hawk said.
I think it's a big joke that the White Sox' higher-ups even talked to Hawk about the matter. Shouldn't broadcasters be able to speak their mind when they see injustices occur? Isn't Hawk's job supposed to be to inform the fans of the way he sees things?

SephClone89
06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
I think it's a big joke that the White Sox' higher-ups even talked to Hawk about the matter. Shouldn't broadcasters be able to speak their mind when they see injustices occur? Isn't Hawk's job supposed to be to inform the fans of the way he sees things?

Ideally, yes. But if the organization feels that what their employee has said or done is damaging to their reputation or efforts, then they're in their right to reprimand said employee.

Brian26
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM

There's nothing wrong his Hawk's performance being reviewed and evaluated constructively by the Sox higher-ups, but those higher-ups should be Bob Grim and ultimately Jerry Reinsdorf.

Brooks Boyer as a "spokesman" for the Sox organization is starting to annoy me on an Eddie-Einhorn type of level.

ChiSoxGal85
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Methinks Brooks is speaking of that which he does not know. Hawk even said in the Comcast article that he couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't happen again.

Brian26
06-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Methinks Brooks is speaking of that which he does not know.

That's pretty much par for the course.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Couple of things...

- It looks like Boers and Bernstein were right. Even if they were just throwing stuff against the wall to see if it stuck, it did STICK. Hawk was reprimanded by both MLB and the White Sox.Not really. I didn't hear the show, but the way it was phrased here, MLB was looking to punish Hawk any way possible. I doubt they gave it serious thought, realized they couldn't fine/suspend him and then decided having Selig call him would suffice. They absolutely were throwing **** at the wall.

Brian26
06-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Not really. I didn't hear the show, but the way it was phrased here, MLB was looking to punish Hawk any way possible. I doubt they gave it serious thought, realized they couldn't fine/suspend him and then decided having Selig call him would suffice. They absolutely were throwing **** at the wall.

Gospel. Does Boers still have "a guy" that gives him inside information. :rolleyes:

Both guys are buffoons. I love the irony of Bernstein's schtick, being the intellectual sports punduit to an audience of dopes and meatheads. The Boers "my guy told me..." bit is comical as well.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Interesting comments by Hawk. Says that rebukes by JR and "Proud to be your Bud" won't change his style of speaking his mind and that he can't guarantee it won't happen again.

I'll give Hawk credit for sticking to his guns here.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0602-hawk-white-sox-mariners-chicago--2-20120602,0,2697559.story

Lip

sullythered
06-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm not a big fan of Hawk, but it's kinda cool to hear a guy just say, "nope, I meant what I said. I'll try not to do it again, but I'm not making any promises." With a guy like Harrelson, anything else would have come off as pretty hypocritical.

Viva Medias B's
06-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I think Hawk was right when he called out Wegner. MLB does not hesitate to issue press released when a player or manager is disciplined for misconduct; why cannot it do the same for umpires when they screw up?

hawkjt
06-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Interestingly,Joe West was working second base tonite for the Sox game and will be behind the plate on Sunday. Is this a test of Hawk's new-found religion? '' I wish I could cuss right now!''....he will have to whisper it between innings.

I am sure Hawk will be on his best behavior for awhile.
One thing, fans point out how he complimented Wegner earlier in the series for calling the phantom base touch at second correctly....I think that shows the Hawk does not hold a grudge against Wegner and simply calls them the way he sees them.
When Wegner or any ump makes the right call, Hawk praises them,when they make a willful conscious decision like Wegner did on the ejection,Hawk is critical. He rarely complains on physical bang-bang calls,and with pitch tracker,he does not complain about balls and strikes much anymore either,unless it is truly aggregious.

I did notice tonite that late in the game,in the 8th after their guy hit that double down the line, Hawk kind of shut it down. Stoney was making comments and Hawk did not engage....kind of strange,like he went into a funk all of a sudden...but he did pick it back up with the Sox rally in the 8th.

Parrothead
06-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Didn't the Sox beat the Angels in 2005 in the League Championship (AJ steals 1st base) because of a bad call. I know the Hawk wasn't annoucning the game but I did not hear him bitching anywhere about it.

mrfourni
06-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Didn't the Sox beat the Angels in 2005 in the League Championship (AJ steals 1st base) because of a bad call. I know the Hawk wasn't annoucning the game but I did not hear him bitching anywhere about it.

I still think its questionable whether that was a a bad call or not.

Bob Roarman
06-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I still think its questionable whether that was a a bad call or not.

Just like a lot of calls and plays that are unfavorable for the Sox that Hawk routinely goes off the handle for. For innings on end. And referring back to those instances days, weeks,months and sometimes years later as proof of some kind umpire conspiracy against the Sox. It's ridiculous. I know Boers and Bersnstein aren't well liked, but they're absolutely right on this. It all pretty much evens out in the end. You get bad calls, you get lucky breaks. Take it in stride, act like a professional. I don't get why people want to take some kind of weird pride in that Hawk not doing that, acting like an idiot and at the same time perpetuating the pettiness and ridiculousness that (especially when Ozzie was here) is tagged onto the Sox organization and it's fan base. I don't get it.

MISoxfan
06-02-2012, 09:03 AM

No, they didn't. The Sox won the Series 4-1 and the Angels never really had a chance. They won game 2 of the series with a run scored on a controversial call, of which you can see still frame shots of the third strike where it appears to be touching the ground. I would not call it a bad call, but I wouldn't have argued if the call went the other way. It was a very close and quick play. Also, the game was tied 1-1 at that point, and the Sox did not win that game because of a bad call. They certainly didn't win the entire ALCS because of one call.

There is a clear difference between a call where the umpire has to make a judgement call on whether the ball was in the dirt or caught cleanly and Wegner throwing out the Sox pitcher without a warning. Umpires are human and plays happen quickly, a runner can be called safe even if the ball beat him by a fraction of a second because the human eye can't be expected to compete with a slow motion replay. Wegner's ejection had nothing to do with a physical error. If he considered everything even with the first instance being AJ's hard slide and the second AJ being plunked, then he should have warned both benches immediately after AJ was hit.

dickallen15
06-02-2012, 09:24 AM
No, they didn't. The Sox won the Series 4-1 and the Angels never really had a chance. They won game 2 of the series with a run scored on a controversial call, of which you can see still frame shots of the third strike where it appears to be touching the ground. I would not call it a bad call, but I wouldn't have argued if the call went the other way. It was a very close and quick play. Also, the game was tied 1-1 at that point, and the Sox did not win that game because of a bad call. They certainly didn't win the entire ALCS because of one call.

There is a clear difference between a call where the umpire has to make a judgement call on whether the ball was in the dirt or caught cleanly and Wegner throwing out the Sox pitcher without a warning. Umpires are human and plays happen quickly, a runner can be called safe even if the ball beat him by a fraction of a second because the human eye can't be expected to compete with a slow motion replay. Wegner's ejection had nothing to do with a physical error. If he considered everything even with the first instance being AJ's hard slide and the second AJ being plunked, then he should have warned both benches immediately after AJ was hit.
I don't think the Angels would ever have scored that night in October 2005, but the problem I had with the call is the umpire clearly called AJ out then let AJ influence him into the drop 3rd strike call. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it happened, and I think the Sox would have won anyway, but he called AJ out then went back on it.

TomBradley72
06-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't think the Angels would ever have scored that night in October 2005, but the problem I had with the call is the umpire clearly called AJ out then let AJ influence him into the drop 3rd strike call. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it happened, and I think the Sox would have won anyway, but he called AJ out then went back on it.

No he didn't.

And all the call did was put a guy on 1st base with 2 outs- Crede's drive off the wall won the game.

TheVulture
06-02-2012, 10:28 AM

I suppose next you'll tell me Bartman kept the Cubs from winning the World Series.

Tragg
06-02-2012, 10:38 AM
The rant was unprofessional (although strong critiquing of umpiring is acceptable) and he just roots too much when calling a game, which is also unprofessional.

I don't think he's more of a homer than most other announcers (the Braves in the TBS, Skip Carey days were far more biased and homers, as were the Cubs in the Chip Carey days; the current Rangers announcers are awful homers). The difference is that he roots with his "Yes" and all of that silly stuff.

gobears1987
06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Interesting comments by Hawk. Says that rebukes by JR and "Proud to be your Bud" won't change his style of speaking his mind and that he can't guarantee it won't happen again.

I'll give Hawk credit for sticking to his guns here.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0602-hawk-white-sox-mariners-chicago--2-20120602,0,2697559.story

Lip
I have a lot more respect for Hawk now and less than I did for Reinsdorf before this incident. I'd say I have less respect for Bud, but I can't since I never had an ounce of respect for him before.

I hope Hawk reacts just as he did on Wednesday the next time the Sox get royally hosed by a Joe West or Hunter Wendelstedt.

The two afternoon buffoons on 670 might go on about how umpires are reviewed all the time, but that's crap for if it were true Joe West would've been fired a decade ago.

gobears1987
06-02-2012, 10:51 AM

The umpire NEVER called AJ out. He called the strike, but did NOT call AJ out.

My memory isn't 100%, but the umpire in question had a motion he always used to call someone out. AJ noticed that the umpire didn't call him out and THAT is when he ran. AJ got the base because Josh Paul's head was in the clouds and wasn't paying attention to the call of Doug Eddings.

Eddings even stated after the series that he never made the motion to call AJ out.

thomas35forever
06-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Amen, brotha. I will never apologize for how I feel over something because it only means you're being dishonest with yourself publicly. I highly doubt Hawk is sorry for anything deep down. He was just trying to appease his boss' boss and boss' boss' boss. It really says something about the society we live in today. People are sensitive beyond belief, so others have to make amends for their "wrongdoings". This whole thing never should have gotten so big, but that's impossible to ask for in the Internet age.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Link (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7995172/ken-hawk-harrelson-says-umpire-tirade-happen-again)

Hawk left a message for Mark Wegner Saturday, apologizing for his outburst, and was also "escorted" by Reinsdorf to the umpires' room to speak with Joe West Friday evening. It really does seem that Hawk may have been fired if he hadn't cooperated with Selig and Reinsdorf. It's a shame that Hawk was forced to apologize for speaking the truth, while a piece of **** like West spews out nonsense, saying "it's a great day for baseball."

QCIASOXFAN
06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Hawk (love him or hate him) is a dying breed of announcer who is passionate about his team and is willing to say what is really on his mind. Selig is a total #####.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2012, 11:46 PM
jM3QlGI2EiA

gobears1987
06-03-2012, 05:20 AM
I have almost no respect left for Reinsdorf now. Having Hawk apologize to Joe ****ing West? Joe West deserves from Hawk the same thing that Hawk delivered to Mariotti in the press box 8 years ago.

Hawk having to speak with West, I'll quote Hawk on what that is. "That is absolute BS."

Chez
06-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Everytime I go back and listen to the rant, it cracks me up! "What are you doing, Wegner?" Great stuff.

tebman
06-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Link (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7995172/ken-hawk-harrelson-says-umpire-tirade-happen-again)

Hawk left a message for Mark Wegner Saturday, apologizing for his outburst, and was also "escorted" by Reinsdorf to the umpires' room to speak with Joe West Friday evening. It really does seem that Hawk may have been fired if he hadn't cooperated with Selig and Reinsdorf. It's a shame that Hawk was forced to apologize for speaking the truth, while a piece of **** like West spews out nonsense, saying "it's a great day for baseball."

It's galling that he had to apologize to Joe West of all people. Unfortunately, West is the head of the umpires' union and is the official representative of that bunch. Harrelson's problem isn't what he said but how he said it -- he's a former ballplayer and reacted like one when this all happened. If he had been on the field he would've said the same things with more colorful invectives thrown in.

It could've been more effective if he showed irritation while pointing out some things: that there had been no warnings, that Sox players had been hit X number of times, that a good umpire knows that a plunk for a plunk is the code of the ballfield, and that Ventura's conversation with Wegner was about those very subjects. Hawk would've made the point about umpire malfeasance and done some viewer education at the same time.

But this was an opportunity lost and now we have the gruesome specter of Bud Selig and Joe West singing in harmony about a great day in baseball. Oh, please.

Bob Roarman
06-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I guess we can include that lady who touched the ball as part of the decades long conspiracy the umps have had going on the Sox. Come on. Felt sorry for Hawk? Because he had to apologize? He was being an idiot. No one else in the league does stupid stuff like that, that's why you don't see other damn announcers, a play by play guy, be made this sort of spectacle of. Remind you of another type of person they had not too long ago?

doublem23
06-03-2012, 08:30 AM
I hope Hawk told Joe West to shove it up his ass. That would explain that moronic balk call on Hector yesterday, too. Which makes me feel better, I can handle umps being petty and holding grudges, whatever, it's harder for me to swallow that they're that incompetent.

Over By There
06-03-2012, 08:44 AM
I do feel sorry for Hawk now. Joe West is a pathetic, self-promoting ******* who thinks fans spend their money to see him. Anyone having to apologize to him for anything, while he continues to make a mockery of his profession (with no apparent consequences), is sad.

hawkjt
06-03-2012, 09:24 AM
This is playing out like a cheap soap opera.

Wed.- Hawk goes off on Wegner.
Thurs- Selig and Reinsdorf publically admonish Hawk.
Fri- Hawk is forced to do a public mea culpa to both Wegner,and then in person to the evil head villian - West.
Sat- West twists the knife further by screwing the Sox on a balk call...no doubt looking up into the Sox booth with a ****-eating grin afterward.
Sun- West behind the plate....who knows what evil lurks?

I think Hawk was telling the absolute truth to West when he said

''Joe,I would rather have a fistfight with you than go thru what I have gone thru the last 3 days''

I think Hawk would love to have a fistfight with that fat slug. He would kick his butt back to his twinkie cache.

soltrain21
06-03-2012, 10:12 AM
This is playing out like a cheap soap opera.

Wed.- Hawk goes off on Wegner.
Thurs- Selig and Reinsdorf publically admonish Hawk.
Fri- Hawk is forced to do a public mea culpa to both Wegner,and then in person to the evil head villian - West.
Sat- West twists the knife further by screwing the Sox on a balk call...no doubt looking up into the Sox booth with a ****-eating grin afterward.
Sun- West behind the plate....who knows what evil lurks?

''Joe,I would rather have a fistfight with you than go thru what I have gone thru the last 3 days''

I think Hawk would love to have a fistfight with that fat slug. He would kick his butt back to his twinkie cache.

I don't think I could eyeroll harder at that line. Oh yes, Hawk. You've just been through SO MUCH HARDSHIP over the last three days. Maybe you shouldn't act like an idiot in the booth.

doublem23
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't think I could eyeroll harder at that line. Oh yes, Hawk. You've just been through SO MUCH HARDSHIP over the last three days. Maybe you shouldn't act like an idiot in the booth.

FWIW, I would rather get in a fist fight with Joe West than do just about anything else, hardship or not. He sucks.

MarySwiss
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM

I think you're right, and West just didn't get it. :smile:

Bob Roarman
06-03-2012, 04:22 PM

For Hawk it's not just the last 3 days either. It's been years and years of being singled out, targeted by umpires. A comment here and there is fine, but the kind of stuff he does, the way he just goes on and on about calls that he feels were "bad" (whether they actually were or not) is just as dumb as whatever Joe West has alleged to have done to the poor White Sox.

Frontman
06-03-2012, 07:33 PM
For Hawk it's not just the last 3 days either. It's been years and years of being singled out, targeted by umpires. A comment here and there is fine, but the kind of stuff he does, the way he just goes on and on about calls that he feels were "bad" (whether they actually were or not) is just as dumb as whatever Joe West has alleged to have done to the poor White Sox.

Clearly you haven't watched enough games that Joe West umped that the Sox were a part of. The so-called "balk" move that Mark had was clearly evident of a grudge West had against the Sox.

I feel for Hawk, having to apologize to that pompus asshat named Joe West. But as many have pointed out, Hawk will go on these tirades when they aren't obvious blown calls, and include calls that just didn't go the Sox way.

Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Sox
06-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Totally agree. Love the hawkisms and the fact that he is so passionate about the Sox. He didn't do any more or say anymore than any other fan would have said minus the profanities said or implied. Hawk had every right to react that way because if the truth were told we as fans would have reacted the same way.
Well maybe except for the Hawk Haters on this board of course.:whatever:

gobears1987
06-04-2012, 04:12 AM
FWIW, I would rather get in a fist fight with Joe West than do just about anything else, hardship or not. He sucks.

If Hawk got into a fistfight with West, West would come out the loser. Just ask Mariotti's nose about what a fistfight with Hawk will do to you. I'd love to see that happen to Joe West.

kufram
06-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Totally agree. Love the hawkisms and the fact that he is so passionate about the Sox. He didn't do any more or say anymore than any other fan would have said minus the profanities said or implied. Hawk had every right to react that way because if the truth were told we as fans would have reacted the same way.
Well maybe except for the Hawk Haters on this board of course.:whatever:

The trouble is Hawk is supposed to be a broadcaster, which has some responsibilities other than just being a fan. He could disagree with the umps and be clear in doing so without lowering himself to an uncontrolled rant. That just diminishes his arguments with them. It would appear that even Hawk would agree since he left a message to the ump in question after thinking about it overnight.

I think Hawk is a caricature of himself at times and he is as biased for the Sox as any ump is against the Sox. Obviously, I don't mind Hawk's bias because I am a fan but that doesn't make it any less true.

Parrothead
06-04-2012, 06:16 AM
I suppose next you'll tell me Bartman kept the Cubs from winning the World Series.

no.

MISoxfan
06-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Do you maintain that the Sox won the ALCS because of a blown call?

Parrothead
06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Do you maintain that the Sox won the ALCS because of a blown call?

Nope. But no one will ever know tho.

Just pointing out for every bad call that benefits the Sox, all Hawk ever says is "we caught a break". Why not get pissed off for bad calls for all teams ? But that does not happen. A bad call happens to every team but you don't hear other teams announcers going on for years about bad umps, bad calls etc.... The Hawk blows and needs to be put out to pasture. Again that day it happens will be one of the happiest days in my life.