PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-30 How Sweep It Is; SOX 4 RAYS 3 Postgamer

soxinem1
05-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Even with the bogus ejection, WHITE SOX WIN!!!!

aryzner
05-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Hell yeah!!

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Whew!

dwitt76
YES SIR!:bandance:

samurai_sox
Cutting it a little too close there boys,

but of course, SOX WIN!!!

:gulp::bandance:

vinny
:sweep:sweep:sweep
****ing awesome. Left a lot of runners on today though.

Moses_Scurry
1.5 game lead makes me feel funny ... Like climbing the rope in gym class.

Boondock Saint
05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Somebody needs to run to the store-we're wearing out these brooms.

October26
Another Sweet Sweep! And eight straight wins is great! :bandance: :gosox: :bliss:

all*star quentin
I knew the White Sox could do it! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

EDIT: Alexei was AWESOME!

Frater Perdurabo
The Sox won today because they overcame adversity, something they really did not do the last few years.

cbone
05-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Holy crap! Great way to spend an afternoon! Go Sox! :bandance::gulp:

JB98
It was a struggle today, but when you're hot, you're hot. Sox found a way. Even with Longoria out, Tampa is tough to beat in that dome. An impressive sweep, for sure.

Corlose 15
That final popout was a little scary. Very nice series. :bandance:

Aesero
First time the team has won a game when in first place in quite a while yes? I can't think of the last time they did it, but I don't recall it happening this year and I remember someone saying the last time was mid season last year.

doublem23
Thanks for the 3 easy wins, *******s

Crestani
05-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Another Sweet Sweep! And eight straight wins is great! :bandance: :gosox: :bliss:

This says it all...!!!

FielderJones
I'm going to enjoy cranking up the old DVR tonight :D:

First. Place!

That was impressive, sweeping the AL East co-leader.

ChiSoxGal85
Nice pitching by Quintana. Too bad the ump was an idiot and an *******. I'd love the hear what the final word was: Was a warning ever given, or no warning given?

Dunn & Konerko didn't hit that well this series, but the bottom part of the order stepped it up and filled in.

Love how this team is playing! :bliss:

Bring that winning streak on back here and keep it going.

soxinem1
Cutting it a little too close there boys,

but of course, SOX WIN!!!

:gulp::bandance:

Hey, they overcame a lot of BS and still win; can't score 9-10 runs every time. :D:

A year ago, they lose this type of game.

thomas35forever
:sweep:gosox::bliss::moonwalk:

soxinem1
05-30-2012, 03:14 PM
thanks for the 3 easy wins, *******s

That is White Sox Baseball at it's finest :d:

TheOldRoman
Hell yes! Great to pull out a win like this. The hitters were due for an off day, and today they missed a whole bunch of chances to put up runs. A lot of times it seems like teams get burned when they have an early lead and miss a bunch of chances to tack on, but not today. The hitters picked up the pitchers last week, and the pitchers have picked up the hitters twice in this series. This is a good team, folks.

Hopefully De Aza is okay and hopefully the home plate umpire is fined or suspended. At least the Sox are sticking up for their hitters this year.

Cangelosi CF
is De Aza going to be ok? those ejections were B.S.:angry:

Heffalump
Great win today!...Way to stick together and hold on!...Enjoy the day off, boys!

Frater Perdurabo
Hey, they overcame a lot of BS and still win; can't score 9-10 runs every time. :D:

A year ago, they lose this type of game.

They've lost this type of game many times between 2009 and 2011.

voodoochile
05-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Great team effort again. Tank is hot as a player can be and it seems to be rubbing off on TCM.

Nice job by the bullpen after the home ump crapped the bed horribly.

:tiphat: Quintana for sticking up for his teammates.

:sweep

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :bandance:

DonnieDarko
Thanks for the 3 easy wins, *******s

The only win in this series that was easy was the second game against Shields. I dunno what you're talking about.

GoIllini
One thing that we definitely do not do last year...? Not score with basis loaded and no outs and then go onto score the following inning. Last year our offense would shut down after an inning like the second.

Man this team is fun to watch right now!

Noneck
I havent seen these kind of emotional expressions on the Sox players faces in a very long time.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Fun is winning, winning is fun ... or something like that. :bandance:

Rikirk
05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
The team has cooled a little bit, so lets stoke the fires and get back to burnin up the joint.

:smile:

doublem23
05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
The only win in this series that was easy was the second game against Shields. I dunno what you're talking about.

We had 'em the whole way

thomas35forever
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Now that I've got the celebrating out of my system, let me just say I'm glad this team is looking out for each other. When one system fails, the other picks it up. If that happens more frequently, this team will win enough to take this division. Can't wait to see all this play out.

pythons007
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Can someone explains the ejections?

KMcMahon817
05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Whew. May have acquired a few grey hairs in that game, but well worth it.

As has been said, the umpiring was atrocious. I hope the SOX give Quintana another shot. He has done nothing but impress and that ejection was horse ****.

Hope de Aza is alright. He makes this team much better. Go Sox...gotta love it. Haven't seen those dark clouds out in a while.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 03:23 PM

Cobb plunked Beckham in the 1st. He plunked AJ in the 2nd. Supposedly that was retaliation for AJ sliding hard into Zobrist yesterday and spiking him. Quintana threw a pitch behind the legs of Zobrist in the 4th. Wegner ejected Quintana on the spot and Ventura sometime later. Seems to be conflicting reports as to whether or not there had been a waring issued to the teams before the ejections. Hawk went berserk.

Foulke You
05-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Has there been any update on De Aza's health? I only had radio. How bad did it look on TV?

KMcMahon817
05-30-2012, 03:25 PM

AJ nailed just below the neck in the 2nd. No warnings issued. Quintana throws behind Zobrist in the bottom of the 4th below the belt. Misses by several feet. The HP umpire, without hesitation, immediately tosses Quintana. AJ, who is quite heated, gets in the umpires face. Ump says, "What did you expect me to do? You cannot throw behind a player."

amsteel
05-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Hey Tampa, remember when you plunked AJ and he came around and scored? We won by one run.

I would wish a 100-loss season on you, but if a ****ty team loses 100 games in a empty stadium no one really cares.

Chicago5oooh
05-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Hey Tampa, remember when you plunked AJ and he came around and scored? We won by one run.

I would wish a 100-loss season on you, but if a ****ty team loses 100 games in a empty stadium no one really cares.

Well said.

PalehosePlanet
05-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Alex, Dayan and Alexei were the whole offense today hitting out of the 5,7 and 8 spots. Not too long ago if Paulie or Adam didn't have a big hit we'd lose.

I'll admit it though, I had a sinking feeling going into the bottom of the 9th after we had squandered another opportunity. Especially since these are the kind of games Tampa wins. I'm glad I was wrong.

8 in a row!!

Lip Man 1
05-30-2012, 03:30 PM
I LOVE this Quintana kid. Has some stones and is pitching well.

When Danks comes off the DL the need to send Stewart back to Triple A and keep this kid around for long relief and spot starting.

Don't stop now boys.

And it's wonderful to know the Sox aren't just talking **** when guys are thrown at (specifically last year's blowhard manager) but are actually doing something about it.

Lip

ElevenUp
05-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Gotta love the 8 game win streak. I recall the '05 team running off a few 8 game winning streaks on the way to the WS title. :sweep

JB98
05-30-2012, 03:32 PM

When Danks comes off the DL the need to send Stewart back to Triple A and keep this kid around for long relief and spot starting.

Don't stop now boys.

And it's wonderful to know the Sox aren't just talking **** when guys are thrown at (specifically last year's blowhard manager) but ar4e actually doing something about it.

Lip

His success is not a fluke, IMO. He's not overpowering, but he throws strikes, with good movement, and he is not afraid.

Bucky F. Dent
It does not appear to have been the prettiest thing ever, but; Sox Win! Sox Sweep! Holy Cow!!!!:)

GlassSox
Excellent series and the boys are working like a real winning team right now.

Quit throwing behind hitters and just plunk 'em so at least you are ejected for a good reason.

Tragg
05-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Something happen to Quintana?

FUram5585
05-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Could someone refresh my memory on Quintana's background(why he was or wasn't a prospect)-definitely a lefty who looks like he can deal.

Now win some home games!

doublem23
05-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Don't stop now boys.

And it's wonderful to know the Sox aren't just talking **** when guys are thrown at (specifically last year's blowhard manager) but ar4e actually doing something about it.

Lip

Just MO, but I'd prefer to keep Quintana in the minors getting regular work as a SP and have him as the emergency 6th man in case anything happens to Sale, Peavy, etc. I'd hate to see him rot away in the bullpen as the long-relief man. Stewart's only thrown 17 innings so far this year, and he's not really hurt us. Also, dropping Stewart for Quintana leaves the Sox with only a pair of RHP in the bullpen aside from the closer.

Let Quintana keep his rhythm every 5th day and then throw him in the competition for the starting rotation in 2013. Sox may have found another gem.

JB98
05-30-2012, 03:37 PM

He got ejected. Pitched terrific until that point.

Harry Potter
05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Dunn & Konerko didn't hit that well this series, but the bottom part of the order stepped it up and filled in.

Dunn got a hit when it mattered most on Monday.

Great sweep on the road. Can't wait to be at the ballpark on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!

Noneck
05-30-2012, 03:38 PM
The ejection as it turned out is good for the Sox. Since Quintana went less than 4, he should be ready in the pen later this weekend for relief, if Danks is ready to come off the DL.

Tragg
05-30-2012, 03:39 PM

Ha Ha - Love it. What did he do?

The ejection as it turned out is good for the Sox. Since Quintana went less than 4, he should be ready in the pen later this weekend for relief, if Danks is ready to come off the DL.

Hell, put Danks in relief. Leave Quintana in the rotation.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 03:40 PM

He was ejected in the 4th inning

Could someone refresh my memory on Quintana's background(why he was or wasn't a prospect)-definitely a lefty who looks like he can deal.

Now win some home games!

Quintana was signed by the Mets as a free agent out of Colombia when he was 17. He only pitched a few games for them in organized ball before being released and spent the last few seasons toiling away in the Yankees' system, never moving above A-ball, despite having a relatively successful season with the Tampa Yankees last year. Sox picked him up as a minor league free agent this off-season.

I have no idea what Cooper or KW saw in this kid, but if they can turn him into a dependable, MLB-quality starter, this has to go down as a Mark Buehrle-type steal.

JB98
05-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Ha Ha - Love it. What did he do?

Threw a pitch behind Zobrist after the Rays had plunked Pierzynski intentionally.

Tragg
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Threw a pitch behind Zobrist after the Rays had plunked Pierzynski intentionally.

I presume they plunked AJ for that spike-job yesterday? That was pretty bad really.

JB98
05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I presume they plunked AJ for that spike-job yesterday? That was pretty bad really.

I believe so, yes. They hit Beckham early in the game as well. Don't think that was intentional though.

At any rate, both HBPs scored, and the Sox won by one. Rays screwed themselves.

shingo10
05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I think this was one of those "defining series" of a season where you really see a club coming together. Everyone pitched in and there is no way that the chemistry on this club didn't improve after you go through something like what happened today.

And Tank could be hitting 5th in the near future if he keeps up imo.

Just wonderful, wonderful series.

thomas35forever
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM

Even better, the 'pen didn't let up. This group is really working like a well-oiled machine. The offense is timely, the rotation is going deep, and the 'pen is strong. There's some good defense going on too. No reason this run can't keep up.

Noneck
05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Hell, put Danks in relief. Leave Quintana in the rotation.

The greater the options , the greater are the possibilities for success.

Tragg
05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
At any rate, both HBPs scored, and the Sox won by one. Rays screwed themselves. Beautiful.

Golden Sox
05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
1) If Quintana is this good, wouldn't the White Sox be better off keeping him on the team and either move Ohman off the team or keep Quintana in the rotation and trade Gavin Floyd for somebody who can fill one of our holes. 2)'m sure if the White Sox knew the umpire was going to throw Quintana out of the game after throwing at one of the Rays hitters, they probably would of been better off hitting the batter. 3) Alex Cobb pitched for the Rays today. Does anybody know if he's related to Ty Cobb?

central44
05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
The Sox believe they are going to win every time they step onto the field, just like last year they seemed to believe it was over at the first sign of adversity.

Teams that reach this point become very difficult to beat. Taking out a tough Rays team on the road should only solidify their confidence.

ChiSoxGal85
05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
I think this was one of those "defining series" of a season where you really see a club coming together. Everyone pitched in and there is no way that the chemistry on this club didn't improve after you go through something like what happened today.

And Tank could be hitting 5th in the near future if he keeps up imo.

Just wonderful, wonderful series.
I really enjoyed watching the team seeming to feed off of and rally around each other.

It's gotta be nice for Konerko to not have to feel like he must carry the team at the plate. Lot of guys are hitting the ball well right now. Fun to watch!

Crooked Number
05-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Only got to see the last two innings, but I think Reed proved once again why he won the job. He was squeezed on the leadoff walk to Pena, and then gave up a basehit that was rifled by Joyce. However, what did he do? He threw strikes. He said here you go, try to beat me, and he got 3 pop ups.

Another close game one run winner, Sox are proving they can win different types of games. Bullpen has been stellar, so has the D. 11 LOB is not good, but they still scored 4 runs and it was enough. Enjoy the day off boys, I will try to be there this Saturday!

TomBradley72
05-30-2012, 03:58 PM
1) If Quintana is this good, wouldn't the White Sox be better off keeping him on the team and either move Ohman off the team or keep Quintana in the rotation and trade Gavin Floyd for somebody who can fill one of our holes.

We need the pitching depth in case of injury- Quintana can be the 2012 version of Brandon McCarthy in 2005- it's almost unheard of for a rotation to make it through an entire season without a significant injury to one of their starters.

thomas35forever
05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
We need the pitching depth in case of injury- Quintana can be the 2012 version of Brandon McCarthy in 2005- it's almost unheard of for a rotation to make it through an entire season without a significant injury to one of their starters.
Yep. Just ask the Phillies and Angels.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 04:01 PM
1) If Quintana is this good, wouldn't the White Sox be better off keeping him on the team and either move Ohman off the team or keep Quintana in the rotation and trade Gavin Floyd for somebody who can fill one of our holes.

Quintana provides solid organizational depth at SP. Moving him up to the big leagues to either pitch in the pen for Ohman or replace Floyd just creates another hole, probably one larger than whatever return we'd get for either of those guys. Even the near-perfect '05 Sox needed 10 starts and 67 innings from Brandon McCarthy when El Duque couldn't go.

Keep him in the minors, in regular rhythm and stretched out to be a starter. If the opportunity to be a SP with the Sox in 2012 arises, then he's ready. If he has to wait until 2013, that's life. Given the always uncertain health issues regarding Jake Peavy and Chris Sale, there's nothing wrong with having another man ready and waiting in the wings.

asindc
05-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I really enjoyed watching the team seeming to feed off of and rally around each other.

It's gotta be nice for Konerko to not have to feel like he must carry the team at the plate. Lot of guys are hitting the ball well right now. Fun to watch!

I think that is a key point for his great start so far this year. He knows he can relax and take it as it comes. So far with Hudson in the lineup and Beckham and Alexei showing signs of snapping out of their doldruns, lately there have been no automatic outs in the lineup. I'm guessing that the better hitters on the team are not putting any pressure on themselves (yes, I mean you, Alex) and just swinging free and easy. Very nice to watch after the frustration-fest that was 2011.

amsteel
05-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan (https://twitter.com/#%21/CST_soxvan) De Aza said he is OK and will play Friday.

whitesox4eva
05-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan (https://twitter.com/#%21/CST_soxvan) De Aza said he is OK and will play Friday.

That makes me happy! :happyguy:

GlassSox
05-30-2012, 04:17 PM

That's great news that he is not injured. :D: He has worked hard to become a solid performer and a big contributor.

Crestani
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Quintana provides solid organizational depth at SP. Moving him up to the big leagues to either pitch in the pen for Ohman or replace Floyd just creates another hole, probably one larger than whatever return we'd get for either of those guys. Even the near-perfect '05 Sox needed 10 starts and 67 innings from Brandon McCarthy when El Duque couldn't go.

Keep him in the minors, in regular rhythm and stretched out to be a starter. If the opportunity to be a SP with the Sox in 2012 arises, then he's ready. If he has to wait until 2013, that's life. Given the always uncertain health issues regarding Jake Peavy and Chris Sale, there's nothing wrong with having another man ready and waiting in the wings.

Well said...!!!

TDog
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
1.5 game lead makes me feel funny ... Like climbing the rope in gym class.

And it should be party time even in Aurora after today's win. Maybe in Spanish, considering the role the White Sox Cuban connection played today and last night. It was a game where everything seemed to go wrong -- except the pitching.

Sometimes you don't know when a game turns until it's over. The same applies for a baseball season. But when the White Sox failed to score with the bases loaded, none out and the top of the order coming up, on the road, and the home team ties the game in the bottom of the inning, that looks like a game changer. When your starter, who has only allowed one baserunner, albeit a solo home run to tie the game, is ejected with to outs in the bottom of the fourth, that feels like a game-changer. When your sparkplug leadoff man has to leave the game after being hit with an attempted pickoff throw, and the pinch runner is thrown out at third to clear the bases, that feels like a game-changer.

Even in the ninth with one on and two out this felt like a game the Sox were going to lose, but fortunately the leadoff walk wasn't moved to second and the white was showing in the glove, not on the ground at the end of the game.

I don't think the ejection was bogus. I'm assuming there was no previous warning. Umpires can and probably should eject pitchers they believe are deliberately throwing at batters without a warning having been issued. There should have been an ejection after Konerko was hit in Wrigley. The exchange that day probably led to the quick ejection today. I wouldn't be surprised, especially with the quickness of the ejection, if umpires had been briefed to look out for such a thing, specifically from the White Sox.

When baseball first addressed throwing at hitters with the warning system a little bit more than four decades ago, it was aimed at situations where teams might retaliate after pitches where the intent was questionable. It evolved into a system where many fans and managers believe the team initiating the conflict is getting a free shot. It looks like baseball is making a stronger effort to rein that in. Throwing behind a hitter, and the White Sox have done it twice in retaliatory situations, is more obviously intentional than throwing off the plate inside.

Of course, the game shouldn't have been that close. The Rays only had five baserunners. They could have won with six. The White Sox had three times the baserunners, and it wasn't as if they didn't have clutch hitting. Rios drove in a run with a two-out single. Ramirez followed his one-out sacrifice fly with a two-out RBI double. The White Sox had a runner in scoring position in seven of nine innings, and didn't score in the innings where they got runners to second or third with none out.

Fortunately, the pitching came through and only seemed to be threatened in the ninth. I was having flashbacks of July 4, 2003, before the last out.

The Rays did an excellent job in the series of holding Konerko this week. The Cubans, not so much. Still, it will be great to get back outside. I hope De Aza is OK. The Sox leave Florida with a road sweep against the team that still has the league's best home record while the team with the best home record in the AL Central was losing two out of three at home to the Royals.

Eight straight wins, the last six against teams at the top of their division, and first place is a great way to end May.

Chez
05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
This weekend Maddon was all indignant because he thought Valentine and the Red Sox were throwing at Rays hitters. Sure looked like the Rays were throwing at AJ. Hmmm.

CoopaLoop
05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Basesloaded nobody out and I believe first and second nobody out with no runs coming across. BUT we still win.

It's amazing how different this lineup looks with Viciedo stroking it. Alexei possibly starting to come around with the weather and you can live with Beckham and Hudson.

Starters are fine and with Reed in the role he should have had all along, bullpen looks dynamite.

They can win this division. Wouldn't have said that a month ago.

Tragg
05-30-2012, 04:28 PM
This weekend Maddon was all indignant because he thought Valentine and the Red Sox were throwing at Rays hitters. Sure looked like the Rays were throwing at AJ. Hmmm.

He was indignant about the Red Sox' retaliation for HIS pitchers throwing at Red Sox hitters.
It looks like the umps heeded his message and are giving him cart blanch to order headhunts.

CoopaLoop
05-30-2012, 04:30 PM

Too small of a sample to really know on Quintana, but if Ohman is used properly to just get lefties out, I am fine with him.

amsteel
05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan (https://twitter.com/#%21/CST_soxvan) Rays' Maddon: 'When a pitcher throws behind someone it's obvious what their intent was regardless of denials on the other side.'

Never mind that AJ was clearly thrown at in the upper body. Either way, your misguided vengeance gave us the win.

Maddon needs to keep his mouth shut and focus on the fact they've lost 9 of 13 at home and their division lead is evaporating. Just because you wear librarian glasses that doesn't make you not a ********er, Joe.

SoxSpeed22
05-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Everybody is contributing, even when Dunn and Paulie are off, the Cubans pick up the slack. Fortunately, De Aza is ok, because Lillibridge might be the worst baserunner on this team. The new kid has given us a nice problem to have with pitching depth. I would not be opposed to sending him back down to get more work in, or keeping him in the pen when Danks gets back.

downstairs
05-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Damn this team is on fire!

guillensdisciple
05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
7 games over, 1.5 games up. I don't know what to say. We still have 110 games left in the season so no going overboard and saying we win the world series, but I am impressed. There was discussion today about Viciedo and whether he will continue this streak. I think he is the real deal, I have been talking about him throughout this winning streak. Not because I am enamored, but this kid was talented. Hawk was right about him from day 1. The ball does jump off the bat, and he has monster power. Not only that though, but he hits it hard EVERY time. He is a hitter first and a power hitter second. Funny enough, and this is by mistake, the White Sox may have built themselves an offensive behemoth.

Think about it, De Aza, Rios, Paulie, Dunn, AJ, Viciedo.

A great lead off hitter, mashers in Paulie, Dunn, and Viciedo. Contact and producers in Viciedo and Rios. Then there's the coming to life Alexei.

That's a very potent line up in my opinion.

Now, about Quintana. I want the Sox to trade Floyd and put him in the rotation. I believe Danks is a good pitcher to have for the future. Him and Sale will anchor this staff. Danks has had a poor start, but I don't believe he has the problems Floyd does. Floyd can't be trusted AT ALL. Trade him away, work with that. Quintana looks like a steal, and what has this season been but an emergence of Rookies stepping up to the plate. For all this talk about the White Sox farm system, we sure as hell are raking. Jones, Reed, Escobar, Viciedo, and Sale. All vital to the team. Oh, and add Quintana too.

Seems great so far, keep it up Sox. I want to go to a post season game.

asindc
05-30-2012, 04:51 PM
About HBPs, bottom line: The two Sox batters they hit scored, and the one guy we threw behind did not. 4-3, good guys. Thank you, Joe Madden.

Foulke You
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Now, about Quintana. I want the Sox to trade Floyd and put him in the rotation. I believe Danks is a good pitcher to have for the future. Him and Sale will anchor this staff. Danks has had a poor start, but I don't believe he has the problems Floyd does. Floyd can't be trusted AT ALL. Trade him away, work with that. Quintana looks like a steal, and what has this season been but an emergence of Rookies stepping up to the plate. For all this talk about the White Sox farm system, we sure as hell are raking. Jones, Reed, Escobar, Viciedo, and Sale. All vital to the team. Oh, and add Quintana too.

Seems great so far, keep it up Sox. I want to go to a post season game.
I like what I've seen from Quintana too and I know Floyd has 3 straight bad outings but let's not go too crazy with the Quintana Kool Aid. Not to take anything away from the kid but his only opponents have been the left handed heavy Indians (twice) and a team that historically struggles against leftys in the Tampa Bay Rays. He doesn't have overpowering stuff so he needs to locate well to retire batters. I would like to see how he does against a very tough right handed lineup like the Tigers before handing him the keys to the rotation. Another thing to consider is that adding Quintana to the rotation would give us three lefties which could make us a bit vulnerable to right handed heavy lineups.

JB98
05-30-2012, 05:38 PM
We don't need to be trading or releasing anybody to create a permanent roster spot for Quintana.

The Sox don't have a lot of organizational depth at any position. Right now, Quintana is our pitching depth. I'd say the Sox should keep things as is. If you trade somebody, then somebody gets hurt, then you've got a problem.

Let's just be glad we've got a "13th pitcher" who can come up and perform competently as a spot starter or long reliever.

hawkjt
05-30-2012, 05:40 PM
And it should be party time even in Aurora after today's win. Maybe in Spanish, considering the role the White Sox Cuban connection played today and last night. It was a game where everything seemed to go wrong -- except the pitching.

Sometimes you don't know when a game turns until it's over. The same applies for a baseball season. But when the White Sox failed to score with the bases loaded, none out and the top of the order coming up, on the road, and the home team ties the game in the bottom of the inning, that looks like a game changer. When your starter, who has only allowed one baserunner, albeit a solo home run to tie the game, is ejected with to outs in the bottom of the fourth, that feels like a game-changer. When your sparkplug leadoff man has to leave the game after being hit with an attempted pickoff throw, and the pinch runner is thrown out at third to clear the bases, that feels like a game-changer.

Even in the ninth with one on and two out this felt like a game the Sox were going to lose, but fortunately the leadoff walk wasn't moved to second and the white was showing in the glove, not on the ground at the end of the game.

I don't think the ejection was bogus. I'm assuming there was no previous warning. Umpires can and probably should eject pitchers they believe are deliberately throwing at batters without a warning having been issued. There should have been an ejection after Konerko was hit in Wrigley. The exchange that day probably led to the quick ejection today. I wouldn't be surprised, especially with the quickness of the ejection, if umpires had been briefed to look out for such a thing, specifically from the White Sox.

When baseball first addressed throwing at hitters with the warning system a little bit more than four decades ago, it was aimed at situations where teams might retaliate after pitches where the intent was questionable. It evolved into a system where many fans and managers believe the team initiating the conflict is getting a free shot. It looks like baseball is making a stronger effort to rein that in. Throwing behind a hitter, and the White Sox have done it twice in retaliatory situations, is more obviously intentional than throwing off the plate inside.

Of course, the game shouldn't have been that close. The Rays only had five baserunners. They could have won with six. The White Sox had three times the baserunners, and it wasn't as if they didn't have clutch hitting. Rios drove in a run with a two-out single. Ramirez followed his one-out sacrifice fly with a two-out RBI double. The White Sox had a runner in scoring position in seven of nine innings, and didn't score in the innings where they got runners to second or third with none out.

Fortunately, the pitching came through and only seemed to be threatened in the ninth. I was having flashbacks of July 4, 2003, before the last out.

The Rays did an excellent job in the series of holding Konerko this week. The Cubans, not so much. Still, it will be great to get back outside. I hope De Aza is OK. The Sox leave Florida with a road sweep against the team that still has the league's best home record while the team with the best home record in the AL Central was losing two out of three at home to the Royals.

Eight straight wins, the last six against teams at the top of their division, and first place is a great way to end May.

Totally disagree. AJ was clearly hit intentionally,so if Wegner was going to be a hanging judge, then Cobb should have been gone immediately.
Barring that, with no warning, then he should have let Quintana stay,but warn both teams.

I also do not think that Smarmy should have been ejected for hitting konerko,but then I also think that it was ok for Humber to throw behind LaHair...then warnings.

Wegner went overboard today....it was a shame,because Quintana was in the best groove yet as a Sox pitcher....he had good command,and was not behind hitters all day like his last start.

As for Quintana's future, I would not mind having him make another start if Danks is at all rusty,but then,he probably should go down and stay ready in case of injury. Do not trade any starting pitching...Floyd might find it in his next start and have one of the 1.3 ERA months of June and July as he has done before.

The Cubans and Alex were huge this whole series. It is so nice to have multiple weapons like this to pick up a cooler PK or Dunn.

Friday nite pitching matchup...King Felix vs Jake....big game for the Sox..if they can beat the King...look out the rest of the homestand.

SCCWS
05-30-2012, 05:57 PM
I know in hindsight the Quintana ejection did not cost us a win, but I definitely think it was the right move by Robin. AJ is a team leader and like Paulie last week, opposing teams need to know the White Sox will retaliate.

Moses_Scurry
05-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Send Quintana to Charlotte when Danks is ready. Bring him back to have a 6 man rotation during the dog days when everybody has dead arms. Print playoff tickets.

soxinem1
05-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Lip

If we do that, I say we go for it, get rid of Reed, Crain, and Jones and go for an all LHP bullpen!! :D:

TDog
05-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Totally disagree. AJ was clearly hit intentionally,so if Wegner was going to be a hanging judge, then Cobb should have been gone immediately.
Barring that, with no warning, then he should have let Quintana stay,but warn both teams. ...

I don't know if it was that clear that Pierzynski was hit intentionally if there was not even a warning issued. When you throw behind a hitter it is clearly intentional.

If you are throwing behind a hitter, whose initial reaction to an insdie pitch is to back away from the plate, a pitch that would follow that hitter out of the batter's box is clearly intentional. After recent incidents, the only problem I have with the call is that it came against the White Sox, and that really isn't the umpire's fault. The White Sox are complaining that they don't get their free shot.

In reality, the only problem Harrelson had with the call was that it went against the White Sox. He would have applauded an ejection if it had come with Pierzynski being hit.

The White Sox shouldn't have retaliated if they wanted to win the game. Still, they won the game. Really, you don't know if they would have won if Quintana had stayed in the game. And the credibility Quintana built with his teammates should be a positive. As long as no one was hurt (or suspended as was the case in the 2000 fight that helped bring that team together), the White Sox got both the win and an experience that could bring this team together.

If Quintana is fined, it wouldn't surprise me if Pierzynski paid it.

soxinem1
05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
I know in hindsight the Quintana ejection did not cost us a win, but I definitely think it was the right move by Robin. AJ is a team leader and like Paulie last week, opposing teams need to know the White Sox will retaliate.

Unlike those Vicente Padilla drilling AJ games when Hawk would say 'Ozzie will put this in the file and deal with it later', then later never arrived.

chisoxfanatic
05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Alex, Dayan and Alexei were the whole offense today hitting out of the 5,7 and 8 spots. Not too long ago if Paulie or Adam didn't have a big hit we'd lose.

I'll admit it though, I had a sinking feeling going into the bottom of the 9th after we had squandered another opportunity. Especially since these are the kind of games Tampa wins. I'm glad I was wrong.

8 in a row!!
I was a little worried following it from work on gamecast. What a nice sweep...And, if you think of it, had we not lost the first game against Minnesota, we'd have 4 straight 3-game sweeps. This team is clicking.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Riding an 8-game win streak tends to make things look better than they are, but we cannot argue with wins. We are tied with BAL, TB and WAS for the third most wins in the majors (29), behind only LAD (32) and TEX (31).

Soxman219
05-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!!!:)
Hope the Sox take advantage of the upcoming homestand and win at least 6 games.

LITTLE NELL
05-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Just back from the game with my broom. Lots of Sox fans there today. Got a little scary in the 9th. 1.5 game lead.
What happened to DeAza, from our view the ball hit him in the knee.

cards press box
05-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Hawk went berserk.

Boy, he sure did. That rant was a thing of beauty.

And it's wonderful to know the Sox aren't just talking **** when guys are thrown at (specifically last year's blowhard manager) but are actually doing something about it.

Lip

Ventura doesn't say anything but simply makes sure that whatever needs to be done is done. That is, to say the least, very refreshing.

He was a prospect with the Yankees but the Yanks did not keep him on their 40 man roster. Quintana was eligible for the minor league draft and the Sox selected him. Glad he is with the club.

Just MO, but I'd prefer to keep Quintana in the minors getting regular work as a SP and have him as the emergency 6th man in case anything happens to Sale, Peavy, etc. I'd hate to see him rot away in the bullpen as the long-relief man. Stewart's only thrown 17 innings so far this year, and he's not really hurt us. Also, dropping Stewart for Quintana leaves the Sox with only a pair of RHP in the bullpen aside from the closer.

Let Quintana keep his rhythm every 5th day and then throw him in the competition for the starting rotation in 2013. Sox may have found another gem.

I, too, would make sure that Quintana starts every fifth day in either Charlotte or Chicago. Regardless of whether the Sox create some opening in the starting rotation through a trade, I suspect that Quintana will make more starts with the Sox in 2012 and will be in the Sox rotation in 2013. That is good news and so is this:

:winner

and the Hamms' bear approves!

:hamms

GlassSox
05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Just back from the game with my broom. Lots of Sox fans there today. Got a little scary in the 9th. 1.5 game lead.
What happened to DaAza, from our view the ball hit him in the knee.

Glad you had the opportunity to use the broom.

De Aza was hit in the knee but it is reported that he is okay and will play Friday night.

JB98
05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
What happened to DaAza, from our view the ball hit him in the knee.

That's precisely what happened. Caught him on the right knee. Reportedly, he's OK.

Brian26
05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Unlike those Vicente Padilla drilling AJ games when Hawk would say 'Ozzie will put this in the file and deal with it later', then later never arrived.

Haha...Ozzie had a tendency to misplace that file after the game; meanwhile, Robin and Parent wrote it on a post-it note and stuck it to the top step of the dugout.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Hawk was openly wondering on the TV broadcast if the pitcher was 'throwing' at De Aza because the throw was so badly off line. He thought that no pitcher could miss a target that badly.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Glad you had the opportunity to use the broom.

De Aza was hit in the knee but it is reported that he is okay and will play Friday night.

Good to hear that, thats all I worried about on our 90 minute drive home.
Who would bat leadoff if we lost D.

KMcMahon817
05-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Hawk was openly wondering on the TV broadcast if the pitcher was 'throwing' at De Aza because the throw was so badly off line. He thought that no pitcher could miss a target that badly.

Lip

I think I agree with Hawk. The throw was 10 feet off. Sure looked like Howell threw the ball right at him.

soxinem1
05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Haha...Ozzie had a tendency to misplace that file after the game; meanwhile, Robin and Parent wrote it on a post-it note and stuck it to the top step of the dugout.

They posted it an inning later!! :smile:

GoGoCrede
05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Between this and getting hired for a paid internship, I hereby dub this the best week of 2012. Ever.

DSpivack
05-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Between this and getting hired for a paid internship, I hereby dub this the best week of 2012. Ever.

Congrats!

Sad I missed today's game.

GoGoCrede
05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Congrats!

Sad I missed today's game.

Thanks, and me too. I logged on randomly while at work today and there were a whopping 75 people in the gamethread during the game. I figured I was missing something awesome, and turns out I did. And then of course I forgot to set the DVR tonight. I hope I don't miss it again.

#1swisher
05-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Quintana through an interpreter, said he was throwing a fastball, then saw AJ call for a changeup. He continued to throw it, rather than cross over his catcher, but the ball slipped out and went behind Zobrist.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120530&content_id=32491910&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

tstrike2000
05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
This is the kind of White Sox baseball we haven't seen in a long time. Fundamentally sound baseball, great offensive support, pitching that steps it up in cruch time, winning against good teams, and an attitude of fun and not afraid of a challenge. It's fun to see and hope that it it continues.

Reminds me a lot of the winnings streaks in June of '01, July of '03, and July '10. Unfortunately, those seasons ended with the Sox falling short of the division. Lets see if the Sox have what it takes to take this team to that next step. It was those '01 and '03 teams where I see the Sox showing some of that same fight they do now, irconically under Jerry Manuel. If those teams didn't start out the year so poorly (and Jose Paniagua) things may have been different.

Zakath
05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Win games you're not expected to win (2 out of 3 in Tampa would have been stellar, and we get the sweep) and now we have to win games we're expected to win.

The schedule works well in our favor for the first 10 days of June, before the trip to St. Louis and LA. Don't want to put a number on it, but we're better than Seattle, Toronto, and Houston, and need to show it. Cleveland hosts Minnesota, but then has to go to Detroit and St. Louis during this stretch, while the Tigers after hopefully getting swept by Boston host the Yankees before Cleveland and then head to Cincinnati.

Opening up a little breathing room at the top of the division is important now. The iron is hot.

FielderJones
05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Quintana through an interpreter, said he was throwing a fastball, then saw AJ call for a changeup. He continued to throw it, rather than cross over his catcher, but the ball slipped out and went behind Zobrist.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120530&content_id=32491910&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

Attaboy, Quintana. Protecting your players, your catcher, and your manager. I see a bright future for this young man.

kevingrt
05-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Attaboy, Quintana. Protecting your players, your catcher, and your manager. I see a bright future for this young man.

Agree.

#1swisher
05-30-2012, 09:02 PM
What Zobrist and Maddon have to say.:rolleyes:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/tampa-bay-rays-ben-zobrist-not-buying-chicago-white-soxs-excuse-for-wild/1232788

GlassSox
05-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Congrats

Shoeless
05-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Good for Robin showing some serious fire when he didn't like what he saw. Also good that he's only been ejected once this year. I like this team.

chisox59
05-30-2012, 11:23 PM

Does anyone know if Quintana has any minor league options left? He came from another organization and they might have been used up and that's why we were able to claim him.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Does anyone know if Quintana has any minor league options left? He came from another organization and they might have been used up and that's why we were able to claim him.

The Sox have already used the option on Quintana for the year, he can bounce up and down between Birmingham or Charlotte and Chicago as much as need be. Don't know how many he has left for the next few years, but considering he'd never pitched above High-A ball prior to this season, I would assume he's good to go for several seasons.

elrod
05-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Meanwhile, the Mariners put 3 touchdowns on the board against the Rangers tonight. Hopefully they've gotten that "offense" thing out of their system...:cool:

TDog
05-31-2012, 12:13 AM

Because only Cole Hamels would be stupid enough to say otherwise.

hawkjt
05-31-2012, 02:42 AM
I don't know if it was that clear that Pierzynski was hit intentionally if there was not even a warning issued. When you throw behind a hitter it is clearly intentional.

If you are throwing behind a hitter, whose initial reaction to an insdie pitch is to back away from the plate, a pitch that would follow that hitter out of the batter's box is clearly intentional. After recent incidents, the only problem I have with the call is that it came against the White Sox, and that really isn't the umpire's fault. The White Sox are complaining that they don't get their free shot.

In reality, the only problem Harrelson had with the call was that it went against the White Sox. He would have applauded an ejection if it had come with Pierzynski being hit.

The White Sox shouldn't have retaliated if they wanted to win the game. Still, they won the game. Really, you don't know if they would have won if Quintana had stayed in the game. And the credibility Quintana built with his teammates should be a positive. As long as no one was hurt (or suspended as was the case in the 2000 fight that helped bring that team together), the White Sox got both the win and an experience that could bring this team together.

If Quintana is fined, it wouldn't surprise me if Pierzynski paid it.

AJ got hit smack in the middle of his upper back. I don't know how you make a more intentional pitch to hit a player.
When Smarmy hit PK, everyone immediately said ''oh,it just slipped''....and gave him a total pass.
Now, Quintana says that his pitch slipped,and he is guilty as hell, while Cobb is innocent as an angel? Bullcrap.
The mere fact that the Rays are talking about AJ's slide the day before makes it so obvious,that a good ump would have warned both sides immediately after AJ and Gordo got hit.

I guess the rule is that opposition get to hit multiple Sox but if the sox come close,guilty as charged....bullcrap.

doublem23
05-31-2012, 06:58 AM
AJ got hit smack in the middle of his upper back. I don't know how you make a more intentional pitch to hit a player.
When Smarmy hit PK, everyone immediately said ''oh,it just slipped''....and gave him a total pass.
Now, Quintana says that his pitch slipped,and he is guilty as hell, while Cobb is innocent as an angel? Bullcrap.
The mere fact that the Rays are talking about AJ's slide the day before makes it so obvious,that a good ump would have warned both sides immediately after AJ and Gordo got hit.

I guess the rule is that opposition get to hit multiple Sox but if the sox come close,guilty as charged....bullcrap.

You get a lot from a pitcher's reaction, Samardzija seemed legitimately upset when he hit Konerko in the face... Even the biggest *******s in this sport know you don't go after a guy high. A) Smaller target, B) Potentially serious consequences.

You can see Cobb plunking AJ here... About 20 seconds into the game recap:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21896481&c_id=mlb

No remorse. Guy knew exactly what he was doing. And that's fine, he's just sticking up for his guy. Whatever. But to get all high and mighty when Quintana throws back at them? Please.

I hate agreeing with Bobby V., but god, this Rays team is not too hard to dislike. ****ing whiners.

russ99
05-31-2012, 07:23 AM
IMO, this beanball payback that so many here embrace is ridiculous jock macho BS.

If the Sox don't like that a team hit one of your guys, just beat them. No need for eye-for-an-eye. It's like kindergarten, and these are grown men.

As much as I like Hawk's rant, there's no way that pitch was a mistake. If it were a breaking ball, you could say maybe. But a fastball behind a hitters legs is uncalled for. One shade better than throwing at a guy's head.

hawkjt
05-31-2012, 09:14 AM
IMO, this beanball payback that so many here embrace is ridiculous jock macho BS.

If the Sox don't like that a team hit one of your guys, just beat them. No need for eye-for-an-eye. It's like kindergarten, and these are grown men.

As much as I like Hawk's rant, there's no way that pitch was a mistake. If it were a breaking ball, you could say maybe. But a fastball behind a hitters legs is uncalled for. One shade better than throwing at a guy's head.

Ok,so PK getting hit in the eye only a shade worse than a pitch a foot behind Zobrist's calves? Right....give me an example of a guy's career being ended like Conigliaro from being hit below the knee with a pitch?
A shade? Right.

As for the eye for the eye...it is baseball. It is as old as the game. Some fans and media might not understand the way it self-polices the game, but it is not kindergarten, it is grown men playing for their livelihoods,with their careers hanging in the balance when a 96mph fastball is headed to their eyeball. Giving the opposing teams carte blanche on hitting your guys with no fear of reprisals endangers your teammates careers and lives. This is serious business.

TomBradley72
05-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Ok,so PK getting hit in the eye only a shade worse than a pitch a foot behind Zobrist's calves? Right....give me an example of a guy's career being ended like Conigliaro from being hit below the knee with a pitch?
A shade? Right.

As for the eye for the eye...it is baseball. It is as old as the game. Some fans and media might not understand the way it self-polices the game, but it is not kindergarten, it is grown men playing for their livelihoods,with their careers hanging in the balance when a 96mph fastball is headed to their eyeball. Giving the opposing teams carte blanche on hitting your guys with no fear of reprisals endangers your teammates careers and lives. This is serious business.

+1

The pick off throw that hit De Aza was more likely to cause injury than the pitch behind Zobrist-

FielderJones
05-31-2012, 10:30 AM

This is baseball, and this is how it's been played for the past 100+ years. If you don't like it, maybe you should take up cricket so you can enjoy tea and crumpets with the opponents during the breaks.

asindc
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
This is baseball, and this is how it's been played for the past 100+ years. If you don't like it, maybe you should take up cricket so you can enjoy tea and crumpets with the opponents during the breaks.

I say bring back the studs-up slide as well. Why change anything at all?

DickAllen72
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
If the Sox don't like that a team hit one of your guys, just beat them.
I think the Sox should just beat every team they play in every game they play no matter if the other team hits one of their guys or not. I don't know why they don't just go 162 - 0 every year.

doublem23
05-31-2012, 11:25 AM
I think the Sox should just beat every team they play in every game they play no matter if the other team hits one of their guys or not. I don't know why they don't just go 162 - 0 every year.

:thumbsup:

russ99
05-31-2012, 11:45 AM
A shade? Right.

Throwing at and hitting a guy are two different things. I'm not comparing a ball thrown behind Zobrist and Paulie or Conigliaro getting hit in the head. I'm comparing two kinds of purpose pitches. And there a are plenty of high and inside purpose pitches that doesn't hit the batter.

Also, eye for an eye is perception. So when we play the Rays again, will they want to throw purpose pitches "to get even"? If so, it's a vicious cycle and yes, it's stupid and childish.

As for it being part of the game for 100 years, spitballs were part of the game too and they're gone, so why can't this be frowned upon for the better of the game as well...

kufram
05-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I think the ump got it wrong and there should have been warnings before ejections. I'm not sure if there were warnings or not. Nobody needed to be tossed for what happened.

Having said that I think the incident should have ended with AJ's plunking. I don't agree with payback by beanball but it does exist. AJ's slide was unnecessary and potentially injurious although it was just AJ being AJ.

The payback for payback just seems silly to me. Where does that end?

TDog
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM

If your goal is winning, you don't retaliate. A guy gets hit, he takes a base. The two guys the Rays hit Wednesday scored, and the Sox won by one run.

If your goal is to make a statement that you won't be pushed around, in turn, enhancing your ability to win, you retaliate and play to overcove putting a man on base.

If you play not to get thrown out of the game, you retaliate with plausible deniability -- you hit somebody on an inside pitch, you pitch off the plate inside, you hit a runner with a pickoff throw. This is hardball. Sorry I hit that guy in the face the at bat that he homered off of me. Sorry I hit that guy in the knee after he stole second on me. If you're the receiving team on the receiving end of that, you don't really care if the ball got a bit away from the pitcher. If the pitcher didn't have enough control to be throwing there and not hit you, he shouldn't have been throwing there.

If you don't care if you get thrown out of the game, you throw behind a hitter. There is no question of intent. There is no plausible deniability. It is far from unprecedented for umpires to throw a pitcher out of the game without a warning for throwing behind a hitter. I was watching a game last year where umpires ejected a pitcher for throwing behind the first hitter of the game. Umpires probably didn't eject Humber for doing so in Wrigley because of the circumstances with Konerko and their believe that a warning would end it. Maybe the White Sox took the wrong message away from that incident.

If you throw behind a hitter, you can complain about being ejected without warning, but you have lost the plausible deniability and any moral high ground you might have.

But it's over. The White Sox won the game. The White Sox and Rays now have an intense hatred for each other, and the incident may have brought the White Sox as a team closer together, which is an element missing from recent White Sox teams.

The incident is over. The White Sox overcame it and won and may be a better team for it. If Quintana is suspended, he won't miss a start. There is no consequence left to complain about.

voodoochile
05-31-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't want to see the Sox go high. I wasn't pleased with Humber for going high. I don't condone "beanballs". I also don't believe the pitcher tried to hit De Aza after the stolen base.

However, when something happens like the PK beaning or AJ getting plunked on purpose I don't have a problem with the Sox sending a message by sticking one in an opponent's ribs at the proper time (preferably not the leadoff hitter for example). This carries more so for a team trying to find its identity in a season when they are not expected to compete yet find themselves in the division lead playing a tough opponent on the road.

BigKlu59
05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
If your goal is winning, you don't retaliate. A guy gets hit, he takes a base. The two guys the Rays hit Wednesday scored, and the Sox won by one run.

If your goal is to make a statement that you won't be pushed around, in turn, enhancing your ability to win, you retaliate and play to overcove putting a man on base.

If you play not to get thrown out of the game, you retaliate with plausible deniability -- you hit somebody on an inside pitch, you pitch off the plate inside, you hit a runner with a pickoff throw. This is hardball. Sorry I hit that guy in the face the at bat that he homered off of me. Sorry I hit that guy in the knee after he stole second on me. If you're the receiving team on the receiving end of that, you don't really care if the ball got a bit away from the pitcher. If the pitcher didn't have enough control to be throwing there and not hit you, he shouldn't have been throwing there.

If you don't care if you get thrown out of the game, you throw behind a hitter. There is no question of intent. There is no plausible deniability. It is far from unprecedented for umpires to throw a pitcher out of the game without a warning for throwing behind a hitter. I was watching a game last year where umpires ejected a pitcher for throwing behind the first hitter of the game. Umpires probably didn't eject Humber for doing so in Wrigley because of the circumstances with Konerko and their believe that a warning would end it. Maybe the White Sox took the wrong message away from that incident.

If you throw behind a hitter, you can complain about being ejected without warning, but you have lost the plausible deniability and any moral high ground you might have.

But it's over. The White Sox won the game. The White Sox and Rays now have an intense hatred for each other, and the incident may have brought the White Sox as a team closer together, which is an element missing from recent White Sox teams.

The incident is over. The White Sox overcame it and won and may be a better team for it. If Quintana is suspended, he won't miss a start. There is no consequence left to complain about.

Agree... Nice turn from the tearing apart that has reared its ugly head in the past when things got testy..All for One and One for All aint a bad way to go out on the diamond to achieve the team mission of ultimate 'Team" success.

BK59