PDA

View Full Version : This team vs. 1993 team

thomas35forever
05-29-2012, 10:15 PM
I know we still have a LONG way to go in the season, but I'm starting to see some parallels to the '93 Sox. Dunn and Konerko are filling the Frank and Robin roles nicely. Peavy, Sale and Humber are a bit like McDowell, Alvarez and Bere. Alexei is starting to play like Ozzie. Even the Tank is packing power like Bo, if not better. And just for good measure, Orlando Hudson could be the next Ellis Burks.

I was only 4 in '93 and thus have no memory of that team, but like them, the current crop has a good mixture of vets and young players who seem to have found their stride all at once. Plus, they seemed like a very exciting group to watch just like what we're seeing now. I may be coming off as optimistic, but this is a fresh group playing well and looking to exorcise last year's demons. Hope this carries over for the next four months.

Yeah, there may not be any individual awards at the end of the year, but Paulie and AJ have championship experience, something I don't think many '93 guys had (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Keep it up, boys! I want some October baseball on the South Side!

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Good comparison, but that 93 team was favored to win the division.

I think they may be a little more like the 83 team, who IIRC were not preseason favorites. Hudson kind of reminds me of Cruz, either Peavy or Sale could be like Hoyt, they are getting hot after a slow start.

Paulwny
05-29-2012, 10:33 PM

I think they may be a little more like the 83 team, who IIRC were not preseason favorites. Hudson kind of reminds me of Cruz, either Peavy or Sale could be like Hoyt, they are getting hot after a slow start.

Good call, the 83 team.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Of course, I'm no expert on the 83 team, as I was 7 and only moved back to the Chicago area in August. I remember a little more about 93.

Frank had an epic year in 1993, topped only by his aborted 1994 season, when he and Matt Williams were making a run at 61. PK might be having a similar type of year to Franks's 93.

Robin had a great 1993 as well, but I don't see a comparison on this year's team.

The 93 Sox lacked another hitter to protect Frank, other than Robin, so the 2012 team has an advantage with Dunn and Tank who can murder the ball. Bo Jackson was decent and had some great moments, but was a shell of his pre-injury self. DeAza is having a season similar to Raines in 93, who was on the downside of his career but still putting up respectable numbers as a leadoff hitter. Rios is a similar kind of player to Burks.

I don't recall a lot about the 93 bullpen, but I do see some similarities in the rotation. 93 was McDowell's last dominant year, by 94 Fernandez and Alvarez had surpassed him. Peavy has a similar demeanor to Black Jack. I think the 93 rotation was stronger 1-4; the 2012 rotation has a chance to get much better if Floyd and Danks find some consistency.

SoxSpeed22
05-29-2012, 11:28 PM
That 93 team had a ton more talent than this one. '90 would be a decent comparison.

TomBradley72
05-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Feels more like the 2000 team to me- or 1990- low expectations- then a red hot run to break through and get the league and the fans attention.

This team plays defense and the fundamentals like 1990 ("Doin' the l'il things") but brings the lumber out like the 2000 team-

Lip Man 1
05-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Frater:

The 83 Sox were the pick of some of the media to win the division based on how they played in 82 and the fact that they signed Bannister over the off season.

Lip

TDog
05-30-2012, 03:16 AM

I got a chance to see the 1993 opener against the Twins, and Ken Harrelson was saying "if this team catches it, they'll win the division." The first couple of times, I thought he was talking about catching fire, coming together as a team. I came to understand he was talking about fly balls, ground balls, throws from the outfield etc.

The White Sox were favored to win it in 1993. It was a year before the Indians would begin their run. They also were favored by many in 1983, having signed Bannister to complement Hoyt and Dotson and having Baines and Fisk in their lineup. They were considered a disappointing surprise when they traded Tony Bernazard for Julio Cruz at the June 15 trading deadline.

Each year has its own personality. So far, this year for the White Sox has been a year of comebacks of players who failed last year despite high expectations. This year, expectations were low because last year key people underperformed. That really doesn't match the template for any successful White Sox season I can think of.

SteveFakeBlood
05-30-2012, 03:33 AM
That 93 team had a ton more talent than this one. '90 would be a decent comparison.

Agreed. Then again, I'm also a little biased because the 1993 Sox were the first team I really loved. I was 10 and it was the first year where I really was consciously following baseball- watching or listening to almost every game, reading the box score in the newspaper every morning- getting my dad to take me to as many games as possible. I still can recite from memory the averages and home run totals of the whole starting lineup (although that's also partly from playing Ken Griffey Jr's Major League Baseball for Super NES a lot which featured the 1993 team and their stats).

I actually see some comparisons to the '96 Sox- exciting to watch with a fair amount of speed and power with a good bullpen and top of the rotation with a shaky bottom. Although this team is younger and has better pitching and that team had more pop and a deeper bench. Frank's 1996 season was a monster year similar to Konerko's resume thus far- but the likes of Juan Gonzalez, Albert Belle, Rafael Palmiero and Mark McGwire finished ahead of him in the MVP Voting (hmmm, I wonder why- although he was also behind Griffey, Mo Vaughn and Mariners-era A-Rod). Hopefully, this team will not fade as badly in September.

~ Steve

SephClone89
05-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Alexei is starting to play like Ozzie.

This is not a good thing.

Generally, I think it's silly to try to make like-for-like comparisons between players on teams. It jst seems like an incredible stretch to say "this player MUST be this guy" and etc just to fit in an unlikely pattern.

Cangelosi CF
05-30-2012, 09:10 AM
This team plays defense and the fundamentals like 1990 ("Doin' the l'il things") but brings the lumber out like the 2000 team- that is a real good analogy. Last night Hawk mentioned how this team is so much better at fundamentals than the past few seasons.

So Orlando Hudson is the new Milkman? :gulp:

Tragg
05-30-2012, 09:34 AM
The 83 and 93 teams' real strength was starting pitching. They both had 3 or so young starting pitchers that were just coming into their own. (93 had 4 - McD, Fern, Alv, and Bere). (unfortunately, both suffered a lot of staff injuries shortly after those seasons, which made the shelf-life short)
This team has one of young starter, plus a couple of young bullpen pitchers who aren't quite there yet.
The Bullpens on both 93 and 83 were weak. This isn't our best pen, but solid and better than either of those.
This team has more similarities with 2000, imo, with better starting pitching (that team really had a patched-together rotation: Eldred and Baldwin - got a lot out of those 2) but a very deep bullpen.

Hitmen77
05-30-2012, 11:26 AM
The difference for me between this year and 1990 and 2000 is that the Sox had a ton of young talent playing for them the previous season who were ready to break through in the majors.

We do have Sale, Reed, and Viciedo looking good this year, but it's not quite the same as that impressive pool of talent we had in those past years.

Tragg
05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
The difference for me between this year and 1990 and 2000 is that the Sox had a ton of young talent playing for them the previous season who were ready to break through in the majors.

We do have Sale, Reed, and Viciedo looking good this year, but it's not quite the same as that impressive pool of talent we had in those past years.
No question.
Our veteran talent is a lot better this year than in 2000, as well as players like De Aza > Singleton.