PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-29 Welcome fo First Place, Population Us; SOX 7 TB 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2012, 08:55 PM
We are on a roll

LongLiveFisk
05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
It feels good. :)

LITTLE NELL
How sweet is, now lets stay there the rest of the way.

ChiSoxGal85
7 wins in a row!

Love how this team is playing right now. DSNB!

ElevenUp
05-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I love it. This team has been a lot of fun to watch over the last few weeks.:bandance::gulp::bandance::gulp:

Bucky F. Dent
05-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Get out the brooms, boys!!!!!

Loving this team!!!!

:)

BleacherBandit
05-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Nice, satisfying rally off of Shields steeped in fundamental hitting.

We win even when Konerko strikes out three times. Since when was that possible?

RKMeibalane
Tank is on fire. It's hilarious to look at his April/May splits, and see the difference in his production. I agree with Wimpy. I'm not sure that he got all of that pitch in the eighth, but he got more than enough of it.

vinny
Great to see the bats wake up again tonight when needed. Humber got a much-needed win.

Sorry to see Paulie's streak end, but the only streak that really matters is now up to seven.

This is so much better than last season.

thomas35forever
Good vibes means good baseball, which means a happy fan base. Let's stay in first the rest of the year!:bandance::bandance::bandance::gulp:

johnnyg83
05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Great game, against a pitcher who was rolling. Tank continues to impress. Nice game by Humber and the BP.

DoItForDanPasqua
With the exception of a few games the Sox are winning by several runs. They seem in control of every game.

voodoochile
WOOHOO!!!

Great birthday present. Thanks, Sox!

Nice to see we can beat the good teams soundly too.

Heck of a team effort all the way around, again...

:soxwin:

Just a little guy, but he actually means something...

:bandance:

Hendu
Nice 5-run inning with some clutch hits. Don't stop now boys!

LITTLE NELL
Get out the brooms, boys!!!!!

Loving this team!!!!

Bringing my broom to the Trop tomorrow.

thomas35forever
05-29-2012, 09:01 PM

:happybday

aryzner
05-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Phenomenal. That's the word I'm using to describe how I feel right now.

Absolutely love it.

JB98
05-29-2012, 09:02 PM
The offensive approach is so much better than it has been for the last three years. It's night and day.

Dan H
I cannot believe this. The Sox look like a contender. I didn't expect this, but if it turns out that I was wrong, I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

Golden Sox
1) Did anybody see all this coming? I sure didn't. 2) I heard Bill Melton on the SCORE today. He said the White Sox plan on putting Brent Morel starting at 3rd base when he gets recalled. Hudson had a big hit tonight. If he keeps getting big hits I don't see how they can start Morel. 3) After Tank hit his home run it appeared as if the White Sox had alot of fans at the game tonight.

guillensdisciple
05-29-2012, 09:03 PM
This team is hot. Viciedo will be the future of the organization and will most likely be a 40 120 guy in the very near future. At this pace he may end the season at 30 100. That means three guys in the line up like that. Pretty sick if you ask me. Will remind me of the Pre world series days when paulie mags and lee would come up to bat. Oh ye, we have De Aza too- not bad if you ask me.

We are seventh in the bigs in runs scored, 12th in batting average, 11th in on base, 7 th in slugging percentage. Uhhh that's really freaking good.

6th in quality starts, 6th in whip, and 5th in baa.

Hmmm, I'm not saying, but there might me a possibility this team goes to the postseason..... Just saying.

QCIASOXFAN
That 6th inning was the smoothest inning at the plate I have seen from the Sox in years. Good times! :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
The offensive approach is so much better than it has been for the last three years. It's night and day.

To what extent do Manto and Robin merit credit?

amsteel
05-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Magic Number = 113

LITTLE NELL
05-29-2012, 09:05 PM

Watching the Rays post game show and they just brought up Robin and Manto and what a great job they are doing.

DoItForDanPasqua
05-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Magic Number = 113

I love that you figured this out!

ChiSoxGirl
05-29-2012, 09:08 PM
1) Did anybody see all this coming? I sure didn't. 2) I heard Bill Melton on the SCORE today. He said the White Sox plan on putting Brent Morel starting at 3rd base when he gets recalled. Hudson had a big hit tonight. If he keeps getting big hits I don't see how they can start Morel. 3) After Tank hit his home run it appeared as if the White Sox had alot of fans at the game tonight.

Tropicana Field has been the Comiskey Park of the southeast for quite awhile. I went down to Tampa for the four-game series in '07, which the Sox ended up sweeping, and with the number of fans cheering for the Sox around me, I felt like I was watching them play at home.

I absolutely love what Robin and his coaching staff have done for this team and the organization. From the moment Ventura was hired, I knew he'd be a breath of fresh air in that clubhouse.

In relation to tonight's game, the sixth inning was a thing of beauty. Rather than relying on someone to hit a home run, the Sox just rattled off a bunch of clutch hits. We're in first place, friends! :bliss:

Lip Man 1
Playing very well. Keep it going boys!

Lip

kittle42
I said two weeks ago this team's high water mark for the season would be when they were 10-6.

I was wrong.

I'm not sold, but I'm enjoying it.

JDub35
It's so nice to be talking about winning baseball and not twitter and other off the field nonsense of year's past....don't stop now boys!

Tragg
05-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Gotta love the Tank. "Mercy".

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I realize we are buoyed by the hot streak, and as prone to exaggeration now as during the doldrums.

Nevertheless, to what extent are we agreed that the changes to the coaching staff have made a difference?

The better the Sox play under Robin, Parent and Manto, the worse Ozzie, Cora and Walker look in comparison.

PalehosePlanet
05-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Third straight good outing by Humber; that's good news. Now hopefully Gavin will get out of his slump and we can keep this roll going.

Orlando Hudson working the pitcher, taking walks, putting good wood on the ball makes a huge difference from the automatic out that Morel was. Amazing what an offense can do without automatic outs in the lineup, huh?

Also, IMO, this is the best win of the year thus far; the five run 6th was beautiful!

GoGoCrede
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Amazing day to be a Sox fan. :)

Zakath
05-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Now tied with Texas for 2nd best road record in the majors. Only Baltimore (15-7) is better.

LITTLE NELL
05-29-2012, 09:15 PM

In a way yes because we had played well on the road and it was a matter of time before we started to win at home.
One other thing, never judge hitting until the weather warms up.

JB98
05-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Success or failure is always mostly about players, but the environment around the Sox is obviously better this year. The manager is the one who sets the tone for that. Robin gets the credit for fostering a better attitude.

I wanted Walker gone for a long, long time, and it wasn't for no reason. The hitters needed to hear a different voice. Manto has done a good job. There's no question he's been a godsend for Dunn.

It remains to be seen whether the Sox have enough talent to stay in the hunt all year. There are a lot of challenges ahead. But I have faith that we won't lose because of our manager or our hitting coach. I wouldn't have said that last year or the year before.

DoItForDanPasqua
05-29-2012, 09:16 PM
I think they can stay in first if Peavy and Sale remain healthy and the offense produces, not even at the level they are now, but better than last season. Cleveland is playing over their heads, like last year at this time, and Detroit seems vulnerable. It may not take even 90 wins to take this division.

Tragg
05-29-2012, 09:19 PM
I realize we are buoyed by the hot streak, and as prone to exaggeration now as during the doldrums.

Nevertheless, to what extent are we agreed that the changes to the coaching staff have made a difference?

The better the Sox play under Robin, Parent and Manto, the worse Ozzie, Cora and Walker look in comparison.

I can't answer that. You've gotta think it makes a difference, but who knows. I really like Ventura's demeanor, from what I've seen of it. And his teams to slump after tough beats (neither did Guillen's), which is a good sign.
But the development of De Aza, Tank and Sale, plus the resurgence of Rios and Dunn = contender, if sustained.

I like the bullpen too. I know a lot of people don't trust Santiago, but I like him. I'm sort of hoping he can be a starter in the future, as he was for most of his time in the minors.

TheOldRoman
05-29-2012, 09:19 PM
It's so fun watching baseball when your team is on a roll like this. No matter how many runs the pitching gives up, you just have the feeling that we are going to come back and win. It's nice to see the pitching rebound from the slump last week. Let's win tomorrow and never look back on second place.

OmahaSoxFan
05-29-2012, 09:20 PM
I like this team!!! First place! :bandance::bandance::bandance: Don't stop now boys!

Zakath
05-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I think they can stay in first if Peavy and Sale remain healthy and the offense produces, not even at the level they are now, but better than last season. Cleveland is playing over their heads, like last year at this time, and Detroit seems vulnerable. It may not take even 90 wins to take this division.

We have to take advantage of the upcoming schedule. 9 straight against teams that we should beat. It gets a lot tougher in the middle of the month with the trip to St. Louis and LA and at the end with the trip to NYC.

Hitmen77
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
This team was 4.5 games out and in 3rd place heading into that Cubs series. What an amazing run since then!

They'll come back down to earth at some point, but we may as well enjoy this run while it lasts.

After 50 games last year, the Sox were 9 games out. Two years ago, they were 8 games out.

WOOHOO!!!

:happybday

fisk4ever
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Who was it that predicted the Sox would lose 95 games? This does not look like a team that goes 39-73 the rest of the way.

A. Cavatica
05-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I cannot believe this. The Sox look like a contender. I didn't expect this, but if it turns out that I was wrong, I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

+1

This is a fun ride.

Tragg
05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
They'll come back down to earth at some point, but we may as well enjoy this run while it lasts.

As long as it's .500 ball when we come back down, we'll be fine.

05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
So many runs! I almost forgot what a legitimate offense looks like.

Zakath
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Who was it that predicted the Sox would lose 95 games? This does not look like a team that goes 39-73 the rest of the way.

I believe it was SI.

Paulwny
05-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Great run, exciting team, I'm starting to believe.

GlassSox
05-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Bringing my broom to the Trop tomorrow.

Yes indeed and enjoy your day at the Trop :cool:

fisk4ever
05-29-2012, 09:41 PM
I believe it was SI.

Thanks. Found it.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/03/28/si.mlb.2012.preview/index.html

guillensdisciple
05-29-2012, 09:42 PM
I just worry about sale. Chicago sports has had horrible injuries this year when it mattered most. I would not be surprised of it happens again.

Boondock Saint
05-29-2012, 09:50 PM
I just worry about sale. Chicago sports has had horrible injuries this year when it mattered most. I would not be surprised of it happens again.

What has happened to other athletes in other sports has nothing to do with Chris Sale.

all*star quentin
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Nice to be in 1st Place! :):bandance:

cbone
05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks. Found it.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/03/28/si.mlb.2012.preview/index.html

This reminds me of my favorite Taoist quote. "Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know."

Go Sox!!! :bandance::gulp:

Nelfox02
05-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Facing a tough pitcher, in a dome, and watching our starter serve up a 2 run shot in the middle innings? the last few years it felt like that was basically a death sentence for the Sox, often times I would usually turn the game off in a situation like that.......but this year that has not been the case. I actually did not think they would win this game, but I felt they were very still very much in it after that Matsui shot.

cashing in that run after shields errant throw was a big shift in the momentum....the sixth was a thing of beauty at the dish, and Humber was very good at holding the Rays down.

Great series win on the road

I echo what a few other posters said already----the health of Peavy and Sale is critical, if those guys can stay off the DL and remain productive we really might have something going here

fun stuff

guillensdisciple
05-29-2012, 09:59 PM
What has happened to other athletes in other sports has nothing to do with Chris Sale.

It doesn't but it's freaky that it has happened in every major sport. If it happens to us, I will not be shocked.

Foulke You
05-29-2012, 10:03 PM
cashing in that run after shields errant throw was a big shift in the momentum....the sixth was a thing of beauty at the dish, and Humber was very good at holding the Rays down.

That 6th inning was one of the best offensive innings the Sox had in years. They adjusted to Shields and changed their approach. Some great at bats in that inning. How many times in recent years did we see Sox teams give no adjustment to tough pitchers? Gotta give credit to the coaches for having these guys prepared and the players for executing it.

DumpJerry
05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
1. Bad injuries happen to teams in all cities.
2. What do other athletes' injuries have to do with Sale's health? Absolutely nothing.

JB98
05-29-2012, 10:07 PM
That 6th inning was one of the best offensive innings the Sox had in years. They adjusted to Shields and changed their approach. Some great at bats in that inning. How many times in recent years did we see Sox teams give no adjustment to tough pitchers? Gotta give credit to the coaches for having these guys prepared and the players for executing it.

Exactly. It was time to accept what Shields was giving them and swing for base hits.

Wouldn't have happened last season.

amsteel
05-29-2012, 10:11 PM
95 wins took the division last year. Sox need to go 67-45 the rest of the way to achieve that.

Not impossible, but not easy either. But it seems alot more plausible now than it did 15 days ago.

DrCrawdad
05-29-2012, 10:14 PM
So cool! So cool!

Win or lose tomorrow, time for a warm welcome for the Sox on Friday at The Cell.

DumpJerry
05-29-2012, 10:14 PM
95 wins took the division last year. Sox need to go 67-45 the rest of the way to achieve that.

Not impossible, but not easy either. But it seems alot more plausible now than it did 15 days ago.
1. It does not follow that 95 wins is needed this year.
2. If 95 wins are needed, the Sox have to easiest burden at this point.

Tragg
05-29-2012, 10:15 PM

It won't take 95 to win this season. Detroit went on a 6 week tear at the end last year.

amsteel
05-29-2012, 10:22 PM
It won't take 95 to win this season. Detroit went on a 6 week tear at the end last year.

Fair, but what's stopping Detroit from going on a 6 week tear this year? They're only 2 behind where they were at this point last year.

Either way, if they Sox play 0.600 baseball from here on out, there will be some very meaningful games in September, if not October.

And honestly, I think this team can win 6 out of every 10 games from here on out.

RockJock07
05-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Tropicana Field has been the Comiskey Park of the southeast for quite awhile. I went down to Tampa for the four-game series in '07, which the Sox ended up sweeping, and with the number of fans cheering for the Sox around me, I felt like I was watching them play at home.

I absolutely love what Robin and his coaching staff have done for this team and the organization. From the moment Ventura was hired, I knew he'd be a breath of fresh air in that clubhouse.

In relation to tonight's game, the sixth inning was a thing of beauty. Rather than relying on someone to hit a home run, the Sox just rattled off a bunch of clutch hits. We're in first place, friends! :bliss:

I'm also really impressed with Robin, I had no clue what to expect but it wasn't 1st place by June 1st. There is still a long way to to go but it seems to working out.

SoxSpeed22
05-29-2012, 10:24 PM
With the way Shields started this game, I didn't think we would score off of him, but they fortunately proved me wrong. I love what O-Dog brings to this team.

slavko
05-29-2012, 10:27 PM

That 6th inning was the smoothest inning at the plate I have seen from the Sox in years. Good times! :gulp:

This team was 4.5 games out and in 3rd place heading into that Cubs series. What an amazing run since then!

Cubs. Good for what ails ya.

That 6th inning rally. Is that what they call situational hitting, putting the ball in play, not swinging for the back row of the bleachers no matter what the pitch is? I like it. Can't remember when I last saw it.

ChicagoG19
05-29-2012, 10:27 PM
It's official, firing Greg Walker worked!:D:

I couldn't decide if I should put that in teal or not.

chisoxfanatic
05-29-2012, 10:33 PM
It doesn't but it's freaky that it has happened in every major sport. If it happens to us, I will not be shocked.
Ryan will go in the Dumpster if anything! :cool:

Tankman is on fire!!!

chisoxfanatic
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM
The guy deserves some props...Here's to you, TANK!!!

:worship:http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Dayan_Viciedo.jpg

ohthosechisox
05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
My birthday is tomorrow, and a Sox sweep of the Rays (& staying in first place) would sure be a nice present. :praying:

Tragg
05-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Fair, but what's stopping Detroit from going on a 6 week tear this year? They're only 2 behind where they were at this point last year.

Either way, if they Sox play 0.600 baseball from here on out, there will be some very meaningful games in September, if not October.

And honestly, I think this team can win 6 out of every 10 games from here on out.

Nothing, other than the law of averages. What they did last year is similar to what we did the last 2 months of 1983 (long time ago, I know). These late season rolls can be deceptive....a lot of opponents are in quitting mode by that time. And then there are my own opinions - I saw Valverde pitch a ton as an Astro - he's an average closer who had an epic/career/never to be repeated year. That team has holes, imo.

CoopaLoop
05-29-2012, 11:42 PM
That sixth inning of first and third baseball was just beautiful.

CoopaLoop
05-29-2012, 11:43 PM

31 K's in April
3 in May

He is figuring it out. And with that power watch the hell out!

FielderJones
05-29-2012, 11:50 PM
I love what O-Dog brings to this team.

Yeah, I have misgivings about plugging Morel back into the lineup.

CoopaLoop
05-29-2012, 11:52 PM

I don't really understand the thoughts floating around that Morel shouldn't lose his job to injury. He lost his job because he is awful.

Anyone think Morel losing his gig is going to tear apart the clubhouse? Yeah, me neither.

Tragg
05-30-2012, 12:03 AM
There's an argument to send Morel back to AAA. He still has promise, so some coaching and playing everyday should help.
Escobar, on the other hand, just looks like a utility infielder to me with a low ceiling. I suppose I could be wrong on that and, if so, he should go to the minors and Morel can play utility infielder.
Regardless, why take Hudson out of the lineup?

BigHurt3515
05-30-2012, 12:06 AM
If Tank keeps hitting like this I really hope he is named to the all-star team. He will have 20 home runs by the all-star break at the least I think. That is pretty damn good for his first "full" season in the majors and with the start he had. Can believe just 17 days ago he was batting .197

johnnyg83
05-30-2012, 12:07 AM
There's an argument to send Morel back to AAA. He still has promise, so some coaching and playing everyday should help.
Escobar, on the other hand, just looks like a utility infielder to me with a low ceiling. I suppose I could be wrong on that and, if so, he should go to the minors and Morel can play utility infielder.
Regardless, why take Hudson out of the lineup?

100% agree. And although Hudson's numbers aren't amazing since he's been here, the hits seem to be incredibly clutch. I don't remember much clutch in Brent. Brent had a great September but lost his stroke. He needs to play every day. I also like that Hudson has speed and bats from both sides.

.420 OPS vs. .655 .... neither great but one far superior.

JB98
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
100% agree. And although Hudson's numbers aren't amazing since he's been here, the hits seem to be incredibly clutch. I don't remember much clutch in Brent. Brent had a great September but lost his stroke. He needs to play every day. I also like that Hudson has speed and bats from both sides.

.420 OPS vs. .655 .... neither great but one far superior.

One other thing about Hudson, the guy works the count and will take a walk. Even though his numbers aren't great, the opposing pitcher actually has to work to get him out. That wasn't the case with Morel.

cards press box
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM

They merit a lot of credit. RV has changed the whole culture and attitude of this club. Manto has the Sox hitters using the whole field.

It's all been great and thanks to that terrific 6th inning,

:winner

Irishsoxfan
05-30-2012, 05:11 AM

But they only needed 81 as it turned out - we can do that easy:smile:

doublem23
05-30-2012, 06:15 AM

I hear the Knights need a third baseman.

TomBradley72
05-30-2012, 07:03 AM
One of the real highlights last night was the pitching- great to see Humber going 7 innings w/a quality start and I like the way Ventura is nursing an extra inning here and there from the starters to preserve the bullpen.

Thornton now has 7 appearances without allowing a run- Santiago's ERA is down to 3.79 (he a got a "wow" from Wimpy on that last pitch).

Come back soon Wimpy! :whiner:

And I hope Robin keeps Hudson in there even when Morel returns- if for no other reason than Hudson takes walks, sees a lot of pitches- a great guy to add to the mix in a line up dominated by free swingers.

Morel is the defensive replacement and maybe against lefties.

Chez
05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
I LOVE scoring runs without the benefit of a home run.

October26
05-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Gotta love the Tank. "Mercy".

Love it! :bandance:

I have been a huge fan of Dayan Viciedo since I met and spoke with him at SoxFest. I'm thrilled to see Tank hitting so well right now. Last night I listened to the game on the radio (weeknights are hectic for me) and then ran in front of the TV to see that fantastic offensive explosion in the top of the 6th. Kudos to AJ, Dayan, Alexei, Orlando, and Alejandro (hustled to 1st on a groundout so Alexei could score). Sox pitching was awesome as well: Humber, Thornton, & Santiago. Super fun time to be a Sox fan right now. Keep on winning, White Sox!

TomBradley72
05-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Starting to be a very fun ride- reminds me of all of our other "surprise" seasons when a May/June run propelled the team into contention and grabbed the fans attention (1972, 1977, 1990, 2000, 2005).

IF we stay healthy I think we're a legitimate contender for the Division title- but we won't be able to withstand many injuries due to our lack of depth- can't control injuries- so I am going to simply enjoy the ride with a good group of guys who seem to play the game the right way. :gulp:

The Immigrant
05-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Morel is the defensive replacement and maybe against lefties.

Escobar will get sent down and Morel will be the backup at 3B unless he can prove that the job belongs to him. Competition for playing time is always a good thing, in my view. That whole "wait until September to start hitting" business is not going to cut it this time.

One could argue that Morel should be the one sent to AAA instead of Escobar, but Morel's numbers are slightly better and I don't think he would benefit from more time in AAA.

TomBradley72
05-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Escobar will get sent down and Morel will be the backup at 3B unless he can prove that the job belongs to him. Competition for playing time is always a good thing, in my view. That whole "wait until September to start hitting" business is not going to cut it this time.

One could argue that Morel should be the one sent to AAA instead of Escobar, but Morel's numbers are slightly better and I don't think he would benefit from more time in AAA.

I'm willing to give Morel a chance- this article in the Sun Times describes some pretty severe health issues- escecially unexplained weight loss (:?:) that may have contributed to his early season performance

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/cowley/12710854-452/white-sox-3b-brent-morel-hopes-to-escape-fate-of-joe-crede.html

I prefer Morel over Escobar so we have at least one "true" 3rd baseman for defensive purposes.

white sox bill
05-30-2012, 08:44 AM
WOOHOO!!!

Nice to see we can beat the good teams soundly too.

Heck of a team effort all the way around, again...

:soxwin:

Just a little guy, but he actually means something...

:bandance:
Was this your Bday Jim? Hope it was a happy one and many more!!

Chez
05-30-2012, 08:57 AM

The problem with sending Escobar down is then you have no true back-up shortstop. Lillibridge? No way. I think Fukodome may get DFA'd. It would weaken our outfield depth, but you still have Lillibridge as the primary back-up at all three positions and Dunn as an emergency fill-in at the corners.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 09:00 AM
The problem with sending Escobar down is then you have no true back-up shortstop. Lillibridge? No way. I think Fukodome may get DFA'd. It would weaken our outfield depth, but you still have Lillibridge as the primary back-up at all three positions and Dunn as an emergency fill-in at the corners.

I really doubt Fukudome is going anywhere as he is one of the few lefties on the bench.

I suspect Morel will get an extended trip to Charlotte and will not be seen again unless he tears the cover off the ball and Hudson proves to be too erratic for the hot corner.

Chez
05-30-2012, 09:06 AM
I really doubt Fukudome is going anywhere as he is one of the few lefties on the bench.

I really suspect Morel will get an extended trip to Charlotte and will not be seen again unless he tears the cover off the ball and Hudson proves to be too erratic for the hot corner.

Fukodome can't hit -- the fact that he's lefthanded (but still can't hit) shouldn't save his job. You may be right about an extended trip to Charlotte for Morel -- though the Trib this morning made it sound like Morel's stay in AAA will be a short one.

If Danks is ready to go, you may see the Sox send Quintana down after the game (regardless of how he pitches) and recall another bullpen arm until Danks' turn in the rotation comes up. I suppose the only other option would be keeping Quintana in the bullpen and sending Z. Stewart down.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Fukodome can't hit -- the fact that he's lefthanded (but still can't hit) shouldn't save his job. You may be right about an extended trip to Charlotte for Morel -- though the Trib this morning made it sound like Morel's stay in AAA will be a short one.

He's not hitting but he's also not playing very regularly, either. He's had 50 total plate appearances this season, it's probably a hard adjustment for a guy whose used to being an everyday player for most of his career. If you were to add just 4 singles into his slash line, he'd be hitting .268/.360/.293 on the year, which is just fine for a 4th OF whose able to play all 3 spots pretty well.

At any rate, it's not like the Sox have a lot of OF depth behind him. DFA'ing Fukudome may be a great idea now, but what happens if Rios or Tank are hurt for any amount of time? You're putting Lillibridge in everyday (who also can't hit apparently) and you're bringing up Jordan Danks? Blegh.

I doubt the Sox exercise their option for him next year, but I'd be surprised if Kosuke doesn't finish the year out here.

Chez
05-30-2012, 09:22 AM
He's not hitting but he's also not playing very regularly, either. He's had 50 total plate appearances this season, it's probably a hard adjustment for a guy whose used to being an everyday player for most of his career. If you were to add just 4 singles into his slash line, he'd be hitting .268/.360/.293 on the year, which is just fine for a 4th OF whose able to play all 3 spots pretty well.

At any rate, it's not like the Sox have a lot of OF depth behind him. DFA'ing Fukudome may be a great idea now, but what happens if Rios or Tank are hurt for any amount of time? You're putting Lillibridge in everyday (who also can't hit apparently) and you're bringing up Jordan Danks? Blegh.

I doubt the Sox exercise their option for him next year, but I'd be surprised if Kosuke doesn't finish the year out here.

How about a compromise? Fukodome can stay, but only if he learns to play shortstop. :cool:

TheOldRoman
05-30-2012, 10:49 AM

One could argue that Morel should be the one sent to AAA instead of Escobar, but Morel's numbers are slightly better and I don't think he would benefit from more time in AAA.I honestly don't think Morel comes back up unless Hudson fails. Morel has potential to be a decent player, whereas Escobar will always be a utility man. Morel needs to be playing every day to get better, and we don't have to worry about Escobar being "ruined" by playing once a week. Also, the fact that Morel only plays one position has to be considered. The Sox can't really afford to have a guy who exclusively plays backup 3B, especially when he isn't a power hitter you can plug in at DH every now and then. I don't think we will see Morel until September.

TomBradley72
05-30-2012, 10:55 AM
I honestly don't think Morel comes back up unless Hudson fails. Morel has potential to be a decent player, whereas Escobar will always be a utility man. Morel needs to be playing every day to get better, and we don't have to worry about Escobar being "ruined" by playing once a week. Also, the fact that Morel only plays one position has to be considered. The Sox can't really afford to have a guy who exclusively plays backup 3B, especially when he isn't a power hitter you can plug in at DH every now and then. I don't think we will see Morel until September.

I disagree- I think Robin wants a legitimate 3rd baseman if for no other reason than defense- Ramirez rarely needs a rest- and in those rare instances Lillibridge can spell him- with Escobar a day away at AAA in case of injury.

sox1970
05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I honestly don't think Morel comes back up unless Hudson fails. Morel has potential to be a decent player, whereas Escobar will always be a utility man. Morel needs to be playing every day to get better, and we don't have to worry about Escobar being "ruined" by playing once a week. Also, the fact that Morel only plays one position has to be considered. The Sox can't really afford to have a guy who exclusively plays backup 3B, especially when he isn't a power hitter you can plug in at DH every now and then. I don't think we will see Morel until September.

Morel has to prove he can hit the ball on the outside corner. So if he is actually feeling better and shows that he can swing the bat with some authority on those outside pitches, then I think he'll be back. But he has to earn his way back up. Not just because he says he feels good.