PDA

View Full Version : Oh, where are you

Paulwny
07-24-2002, 11:07 AM
In this vast country isn't there a mega- millionaire who all his life wasn't a die hard sox fan? The man/woman who would buy this franchise wanting to take the team to div. titles and possibly a ws, not caring about the bottom line. An owner who would take the team profits and reinvest them in the team, not using the team to acquire more wealth.
Or, are we the few, the proud, the poor?

CuckTheFubs
07-24-2002, 11:15 AM
Cross this free wheeling owner off your list.

WinningUgly!
07-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs
Cross this free wheeling owner off your list.
I'd kill to get Cuban to buy this team!

CuckTheFubs
07-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Cuban did say that he's may be interested in owning a MLB team, IF MLB gets it's labor situation straightened out.

If Cuban owned the Sox, seems like it would at least be interesting. Cuban out fighting with umps, etc.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-24-2002, 11:32 AM

It's worth noting that Jerry Colangelo, owner of the world champion Arizona Diamondbacks, grew up in south suburban Chicago Heights. He graduated from Bloom Township (same school as "Ball Four" author Jim Bouton, BTW).

Colangelo comes back to visit every summer. He has deep South Side roots. He would make the perfect Sox owner to finally bring Chicago a world championship.

Instead we're stuck 21+ seasons with this carpetbagger from Brooklyn:

:reinsy
"Did I ever tell you the story about how heartbroken I was when O'Malley moved the Dodgers to L.A.? Not that that would stop me from doing the exact same thing, but I digress..."

Iwritecode
07-24-2002, 11:35 AM
"I will sell this franchise for one billion dollars."

"A billion?!? That's unfair."

"Unfair to the payer, but fair to the payee."

Kudos to the poster that can name the movie this quote came from.

BTW, anyone know if Bill Gates is baseball fan?

CuckTheFubs
07-24-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It's worth noting that Jerry Colangelo, owner of the world champion Arizona Diamondbacks, grew up in south suburban Chicago Heights. He graduated from Bloom Township (same school as "Ball Four" author Jim Bouton, BTW).

Colangelo comes back to visit every summer. He has deep South Side roots. He would make the perfect Sox owner to finally bring Chicago a world championship.

Instead we're stuck 21+ seasons with this carpetbagger from Brooklyn.

The former owner of the Marlins (I can't remember his name at the moment) was also I believe from the South Side. I believe he was from South Holland.

Being a South Sider though is no guarantee that an individual is a Sox fan.

Moses_Scurry
07-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

"Unfair to the payer, but fair to the payee."

"and you're going to pay it, or else."

"Or else what?"

"Tell him, Vinny"

"Or else Pizza will send out for you!"

-Spaceballs

PaleHoseGeorge
07-24-2002, 11:44 AM

The former owner of the Marlins (I can't remember his name at the moment) was also I believe from the South Side. I believe he was from South Holland.

True, but they certainly weren't Marlins fans or Diamondbacks fans before buying those teams either.

Let's not forget the MLB owners always use the excuse of "preferring local ownership" whenever they get an offer from somebody they don't want to accept. (Does "Nintendo" and "Seattle Mariners" ring a bell?) They couldn't use that excuse for new Sox ownership, could they?

We should start a "Draft Jerry Colangelo" campaign to run the carpetbagger from Brooklyn out of town.

Paulwny
07-24-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Let's not forget the MLB owners always use the excuse of "preferring local ownership" whenever they get an offer from somebody they don't want to accept. (Does "Nintendo" and "Seattle Mariners" ring a bell?) They couldn't use that excuse for new Sox ownership, could they?

They also didn't use it when King George was buying the yankmees.

Randar68
07-24-2002, 11:49 AM

Wayne Huizenga. I caddied for he and his brother at LaGrange CC when I was a kid once. (his brother is a member)

Iwritecode
07-24-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
"and you're going to pay it, or else."

"Or else what?"

"Tell him, Vinny"

"Or else Pizza will send out for you!"

-Spaceballs

"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine! Let's see how well you handle it."

I love that movie. Wonder how long til these posts get moved to the PL?

xil357
07-24-2002, 02:28 PM
...when if just 1000 of us on WSI can come up with about $600 each, we'll have $600,000, the same amount that George W. Bush came up with in 1990 to leverage it for more money from his daddy's friends to buy the Texas Rangers. He then proceeded to use his (and daddy's) influence to convince the city leaders in the City of Arlington, Texas, to build the brand spanking new Ballpark at Arlington. When he sold the team -- when he was "elected" governor of Texas in 1994 -- he turned that $600,000 loan into multimillions on the backs of the taxpayers of the City of Arlington who are paying off the municipal construction bonds.

This plan has precedent and we could apply it to an effort to buy the Sox.

If there is just one person here on WSI with the last name Daley, or if we could tie our plan to O'Hare expansion, it just might work and we could come up with $250 million or so to buy the White Sox!

Are there enough disgruntled WSI-ers out there that are willing to chip in to fix the mess at 35th and Shields? Would it be enough to convince Mike Veeck to sell his minor league teams and buy the White Sox?

Could this work?

Who am I kidding....look at the stock market.