PDA

View Full Version : Sox should win the division

LITTLE NELL
05-29-2012, 02:54 PM
According to these guys 66% chance of winning the Central.
http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_team.asp?id=CHW&sn=2012

DSpivack
05-29-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm guessing a lot of that is because after scoring 46 runs in 4 games their run differential is #2 in the AL.

FielderJones
05-29-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm guessing a lot of that is because after scoring 46 runs in 4 games their run differential is #2 in the AL.

Pythagorean FTW! :tongue:

tstrike2000
05-29-2012, 03:09 PM
It's nice to be optimistic, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

LITTLE NELL
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Somebody believes in us.

jdm2662
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Seriously, before Thursday, they hadn't won a home series in over a month. Let's just enjoy the ride and hope it continues.

DSpivack
05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Pythagorean FTW! :tongue:

I wonder where Fibonacci would have the Sox finishing...

BigKlu59
05-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Works for me... Its a wonder they dont win this division 75% of the time. Its funny how a matter of 10 games in this division determines who comes out on top..

BK59

ElevenUp
05-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Almost a third of the remaining schedule are games against the Royals, Cubs and Twins. I would imagine this is a big factor in this prediction.

LITTLE NELL
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Almost a third of the remaining schedule are games against the Royals, Cubs and Twins. I would imagine this is a big factor in this prediction.

Yeah, but we can't beat the Royals.

LITTLE NELL
05-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Works for me... Its a wonder they dont win this division 75% of the time. Its funny how a matter of 10 games in this division determines who comes out on top..

BK59

Ain't that the truth.

DonnieDarko
05-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah, but we can't beat the Royals.

Maybe this year will be different?

Oh, who am I kidding? How many games are we slated to have against Cy Chen? We should just rack those up as automatic losses right now. :tongue:

Ain't that the truth.

Indeed.

fram40
05-29-2012, 04:30 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. The Sox have five series vs the Royals after the ASB, four vs Twins.

They have only 9 (NINE!) home games from 6/25 through 8/02. 23 games on the road and and 9 at home. Altho they have played better on the road

voodoochile
05-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Now THIS is a great thread for a Pollyanna like me to find on his birthday. Thanks and may I say, "curse me for doubting." GO SOX!

HomeFish
05-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Tigers will win the Central.

thomas35forever
05-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Here we go again.:rolleyes:

Dan H
05-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I am just going to enjoy this for what it is worth. Right now, the team is contention and that's great. However, two years ago, the Sox went on a 25-5 tear, hit the hell out of the ball during that stretch and ended up winning nothing.

Having said this, many of the ifs are working out. Dunn and Peavy have rebounded and the young players are developing. It is hard not to be optimisitc. But there are 112 games left, and there will be another cold streak. Winning the Central still won't be easy.

FielderJones
05-29-2012, 11:45 PM
However, two years ago, the Sox went on a 25-5 tear, hit the hell out of the ball during that stretch and ended up winning nothing.

At least this team is over .500 at game 50; the 2010 team was 6-under at game 50, and eventually fell to 9-under. The 25-5 tear came after they were 24-33 on June 8. Not starting in a hole works wonders for your chances at a division championship.

Nellie_Fox
05-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I wonder where Fibonacci would have the Sox finishing...With a record of 1.61803399 wins per loss; a golden season!

IronFisk
05-30-2012, 12:35 AM
I am just going to enjoy this for what it is worth. Right now, the team is contention and that's great. However, two years ago, the Sox went on a 25-5 tear, hit the hell out of the ball during that stretch and ended up winning nothing.

Mainly against the National League my friend. This time we are piling up wins within our own division...ahead of interleague. I'm intrigued.

That said baseball is the trickiest sport to figure out - such a long season. Who would have thought 2005 would have turned out that way? Not many. I like our horses, and we should compete to the wire. Nice to have another playoff spot too.

Just enjoying the ride :)

TDog
05-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Seriously, before Thursday, they hadn't won a home series in over a month. Let's just enjoy the ride and hope it continues.

Both the White Sox and Tigers are a game below .500 at home. Seven of the 14 American League teams have losing home records. Most of the teams above .500 are within a series sweep away from being at or below .500 (i.e., the Tigers were swept at home by the Mariners and the Rangers were swept at home in a two-game series against the Royals). And the White Sox losing home record didn't keep them from having a 5-1 homestand last week.

Overall, the White Sox have 28 wins in their first 50 games. Two teams in the East have 29, including the team that still has the league's best home record after losing two home games to the White Sox. Another team in the West has 31 wins, even after losing a game at home to the Mariners.

Seriously, the White Sox play at home this year isn't nearly the harbinger of doom many make it out to be.

Dan H
05-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Mainly against the National League my friend. This time we are piling up wins within our own division...ahead of interleague. I'm intrigued.

That said baseball is the trickiest sport to figure out - such a long season. Who would have thought 2005 would have turned out that way? Not many. I like our horses, and we should compete to the wire. Nice to have another playoff spot too.

Just enjoying the ride :)

You raise good points, and I agree the Sox are actually in a much better position now than in 2010. I just want to keep perspecitve especially when Danks and Floyd take the mound.

However, all I wanted at this point of the season was some hope. We have that now. And actually, the overall future looks much better now for several reasons. So I am much happier than I was at the start of the season. We will see about the playoffs. Like I said, there is hope now. The other side of that hope is that any slump won't be too devastating.

gobears1987
05-30-2012, 06:49 AM

We knew you would show up in this thread.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 06:56 AM
We knew you would show up in this thread.

And yet people feed the trolls.

cws05champ
05-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Now they have the Sox predicted record at 94-68....I still don't see this team winning that many games. Could compete for the division but I see the division winner at around 90-91 wins.

asindc
05-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Now they have the Sox predicted record at 94-68....I still don't see this team winning that many games. Could compete for the division but I see the division winner at around 90-91 wins.

They who?

doublem23
05-30-2012, 08:49 AM
They who?

Whoever is running projections in the link the OP provided.

gobears1987
05-30-2012, 08:54 AM
And yet people feed the trolls.

He's not actually trolling when he really believes what he is typing.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 08:56 AM
He's not actually trolling when he really believes what he is typing.

Who ****in cares whether he believes it or not, it was still a post that was made to get an obvious rise out of people.

Zisk77
05-30-2012, 08:57 AM

This coming from the man who said the playoff series was over (in favor of the Cubs) after ZAMBRANO drove in a run in game one in Arizona. :scratch:

voodoochile
05-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Agree with enjoying the ride concept. It's baseball and just like all sports, the journey is the destination. If the journey gets extended it simply makes the destination that much more fun...

Harry Chappas
05-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I couldn't post in the game thread last night, but that was one of the most impressive wins I've seen by the Sox in a long, long, time. It set up for a typical "let down" with Shields having his way with Sox hitters early on and then Humber unraveling a bit (I expect the flood gates to open after Matsui's HR). But the hitting clinic they put on in the 6th was nothing short of miraculous when you consider how woeful this team has been over the past few years in terms of RISP and stringing together hits, working the count, etc.

At the risk of getting ahead of myself, I think this team is more than capable of winning this division provided they don't get derailed by injuries.

cub killer
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Isn't there a rule that if a poster makes a prediction (e.g. Tiigers will win the division), they have to back it up with a sig bet or forum departure bet?

doublem23
05-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Isn't there a rule that if a poster makes a prediction (e.g. Tiigers will win the division), they have to back it up with a sig bet or forum departure bet?

No

PeteWard
06-01-2012, 03:05 AM
No

I actually think the Tigers will win it, too. But I am not saying it is a certainty. Their starting pitching is a mess and I think their D is suspect.But that hitting lineup is potentially the best outside of Texas.

kufram
06-01-2012, 04:44 AM
I have developed the art of taking the White Sox game by game. I don't want to get it into my head that we should win anything because this is baseball. You only need look at the recent Texas/KC result to know that anything can happen.

I'm only looking at today's game.

It allows me to get maximum enjoyment and minimum disappointment. I am aware that we've been on a very good run and I'm equally aware that it will end soon..... hopefully, not today.

doublem23
06-01-2012, 06:11 AM
My theory is that since the Sox pretty much walked away with the division in '83, '93, '00, and '05, we're not programmed for these kind of "take it a day at a time" kind of races. It's June 1. We should know now whose going to win the Central!

Maybe we'll win. Maybe Detroit will. Maybe Cleveland will. I don't know. This was supposed to be a lost summer, but I'm having a blast. Just bought tickets for another couple of games for me and my wife. :bandance:

voodoochile
06-01-2012, 09:48 AM
I have developed the art of taking the White Sox game by game. I don't want to get it into my head that we should win anything because this is baseball. You only need look at the recent Texas/KC result to know that anything can happen.

I'm only looking at today's game.

It allows me to get maximum enjoyment and minimum disappointment. I am aware that we've been on a very good run and I'm equally aware that it will end soon..... hopefully, not today.

Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is uncertain, but today is a gift that is why we call it the present...