PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/27 'A Sweeping, Scalding, Scalping!!' CLE vs SOX Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Bring out that broom!!! :bandance::bandance:

So much for the Sunday lineups of the past.

And now Bacon and Ramirez may be starting to hit.... Wouldn't that be nice!

Carry it on to TB!!!

Not sure if they can sustain it, but in the last 10-12 games the 2012 White Sox remind me of that stretch the 2000 White Sox had when they scored 7-8-9 runs a night for about three months.

DSpivack
05-27-2012, 05:25 PM
.5 game out of first place. :cool:

LITTLE NELL
05-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Don't stop now boys, driving over for Wednesday's game in St. Pete.

Boondock Saint
05-27-2012, 05:27 PM
The way this offense has blown up is unbelievable.

GoGoCrede
05-27-2012, 05:28 PM
.5 game out of first place. :cool:

****ing awesome. Making mincemeat out of everyone.

Brian26
05-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Not sure if they can sustain it, but in the last 10-12 games the 2012 White Sox remind me of that stretch the 2000 White Sox had when they scored 7-8-9 runs a night for about three months.

That stretch in June of 2000 felt like the Sox would never lose another game again. It was an automatic win every night.

Zakath
05-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Bet the Indians are glad they don't see us again until September.

Five straight at home gets us to 12-13 at home this season, with 9 more at home coming up after the trip to Tampa.

The numbers Paulie's putting up are unbelievable, but probably getting a little boost by the fact that you can't pitch around him, because we're getting offense up and down the lineup.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Should make the trip to Florida a lot better. Nice weekend, but Gavin Floyd...my oh my.

If the Sox can actually stay in this Kenny may have to go out and get a starter come July....Floyd and Danks haven't inspired confidence this season and Humber is off and on.

Lip

October26
05-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Sweet Sweep! And Paulie is now hitting .399 :bandance: Wow.

LITTLE NELL
That stretch in June of 2000 felt like the Sox would never lose another game again. It was an automatic win every night.

2nd half of 1983 was awesome also.

LongLiveFisk
:sweep

YES!!! :)

LITTLE NELL
05-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Should make the trip to Florida a lot better. Nice weekend, but Gavin Floyd...my oh my.

If the Sox can actually stay in this Kenny may have to go out and get a starter come July....Floyd and Danks haven't inspired confidence this season and Humber is off and on.

Lip

I want Buehrle back.

JB98
05-27-2012, 05:34 PM
It's been about four years since I've seen the Sox swing the bats like this.

It comes at a good time, too, since Cleveland is a team the Sox needed to beat. Also, the starting pitching has been mediocre-to-bad lately, but that has been a non-issue because the whole lineup is hot at the same time.

TheVulture
05-27-2012, 05:34 PM
2nd half of 1983 was awesome also.

With Hoyt on the mound, it was over before it even began.

TheVulture
05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I want Buehrle back.

No kidding. The only thing Danks ever had on Buehrle was age.

Soxman219
05-27-2012, 05:41 PM
If you can see me right now, I have a smile from ear to ear. Never seen this consistent offense since early 2006.

guillensdisciple
05-27-2012, 05:44 PM
This team is doing awesome right now and Viciedo should probably start hitting 6th or 5th now. An RBI spot sounds perfect for him, since he is tearing it up right now.

JB98
05-27-2012, 05:48 PM
This team is doing awesome right now and Viciedo should probably start hitting 6th or 5th now. An RBI spot sounds perfect for him, since he is tearing it up right now.

Nah. No reason to tinker now. When things are going well, a good manager sticks with the same lineup, stays out of the way and lets his guys play.

fisk4ever
05-27-2012, 05:50 PM
I want Buehrle back.

Life would be too good! Why don't you swing down to Miami and bring him up to Tampa?

shingo10
05-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Paulie is the MVP.

Obviously a lot can change in the coming months but what he is doing is remarkable. There's nothing more that can be said about how good he is.

Shoeless
05-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Paulie is the MVP.

Obviously a lot can change in the coming months but what he is doing is remarkable. There's nothing more that can be said about how good he is.

It infuriates me that we're going to have to vote him into the all-star game

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2012, 06:05 PM
It was right around this time in 2008 when the Sox got hot after a start in which the bats had been flaccid.

I think we'll be lucky to win one in Tampa, but coming back home we should have a right to expect to sweep Seattle, win 2/3 from Toronto, and sweep Houston.

If so, that puts us around 35-25 on June 11. If so, is KW a "buyer?"

fram40
05-27-2012, 06:12 PM

There's no way the players don't vote him in as a backup. No way

The next ten series are interesting - 3 series against last place teams (Seattle, Cubs, Minn), two more against dogs (Milwaukee and Houston), two more interleague (St Louis and LAD) and three against good teams from the ALEast (Toronto, TBR, and 4 games vs. Yankees)

31 games - how about 20 wins? Would put the Sox at 46 - 33 with a day off and a home stand with Tex and Tor on deck.

Chez
05-27-2012, 06:21 PM
I'll be interested to see if the bats can keep it up against the Rays pitching.

In the last seven games they've won, the Sox have not entered the 9th inning in a save situation.

TDog
05-27-2012, 06:24 PM

Perhaps, but I was thinking all of a sudden it was 1977 again, especially with the pitching giving up so many runs, especially after the White Sox grabbed a big lead today and Viciedo gave up an out at third and De Aza was thrown out at home after the second of the back-to-back triples. Plenty of offense, but the Sox really could have scored more than 12 runs. And it didn't seem to matter how dangerous the other team looked at the plate. Today, the offense overcame Floyd's inability to hold an early lead, two early leads in fact.

Not to compare this team with the 1977 team. This team is two games off the 1977 pace after 48 games. The 2000 team also had a 28-20 record. And, of course, the standard is the wire-to-wire 2005 best-record-in-the-AL-and-only-one-postseason-loss White Sox, who were 33-15 at this point.

Still, there is reason to like this team. I never thought the offense this year was that bad, and I don't think it is as good as it was the last five games of the homestand. But I have always believed this team could be a legitimate contender.

Today it was Beckham with the four-hit-plus-a-walk game. In 2005, "the Cubans" were pitchers who would do heroic things in the postseason. Today "the Cubans" combined for four RBIs. But it was Konerko who put the Sox ahead with his first RBI and again put the Sox ahead with his next three. Hitless in his first two at bats, but he still ended up increasing his gaudy .396 batting average and .473 on-base percentage before the day was out.

Suddenly, the White Sox are a strong home team. I hope they continue to hit and haven't forgotten how to win on the road as they travel to the site of Konerko's only career inside-inside-the-park home run. Of his 400 with the White Sox, one didn't stay in the yard, officially anyway. The Rays are where they are because they play so well at dome.

DickAllen72
05-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Congratulations to "Mr. 400"!!! :gulp:

And kudos to Jeff Manto!!! :bandance:

What a great week it's been! :)

Shoeless
05-27-2012, 06:36 PM

The next ten series are interesting - 3 series against last place teams (Seattle, Cubs, Minn), two more against dogs (Milwaukee and Houston), two more interleague (St Louis and LAD) and three against good teams from the ALEast (Toronto, TBR, and 4 games vs. Yankees)

31 games - how about 20 wins? Would put the Sox at 46 - 33 with a day off and a home stand with Tex and Tor on deck.

I would hope for 20 wins. I'm just not sure about starting pitching at this point. The problem with winning 12-6 is the 6. Cleveland's offense has been very good this year, so maybe this is just an indication of our guys beating theirs. But i can't imagine us scoring on par with the Bears long term.

hawkjt
05-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Peavy gets a pass last nite because I think the ball was flying so well that kipnis homers were cheap.

Gavin today? He had a strong fastball,but his breaking ball was just ok,and he did not have command. So it goes. I prefer good stuff that is not in command to just not having stuff.

I think that some of this week's offensive explosion can be attributed to the park in the heat...for both sides. Soxpark is a hitters park in the summer,for both sides. Just have to make sure the Sox are on top in the end.

Now, the Rays park is not a hitters paradise. Sox face Shields, and two other starters. Tough test. They are a good team that does not beat themselves,but are not full of big hitters.

Houston is a bit resurgent,just a game or two under .500. Jays are tough.
Seattle is our fav. These next 12 games...love to win 8. Dodgers are best team in baseball,and Sox go out there for another 3 day west coast swing...who made this schedule again? Jim Leyland? Cards are world champs. And then the cubs again. Love to go 6-3 in that stretch. 14-7 would be fantastic.

TheOldRoman
05-27-2012, 07:29 PM
The offense has been unbelievable the past week. We know Paulie, Rios and Viciedo have torn it up of late, AJ, Dunn and DeAza have stayed hot, Beckham has been hitting the ball really well (even when he had bad luck a few weeks ago), and hopefully Alexei is turning it around. I love Hudson at the bottom of the lineup as a second leadoff mad. I think he will have a resurgent year and really turn the lineup over.

As for the pitching, it certainly isn't good, but a few times a year teams go through a stretch where nobody can get anybody out. No reason why, it just happens. It usually takes one great start to snap everyone out of it. Hopefully that great start comes tomorrow.

central44
05-27-2012, 07:30 PM

He shouldn't be a backup. He's far and away the the best 1b in baseball right now, and should be #2 in the MVP race behind Hamilton who is also having a ridiculous year.

Whoever is #3 isn't even close.

But we'll see. Odds are the Sox army will have to come through to give him the starting 1B job instead of Adrian Gonzalez.

RowanDye
05-27-2012, 07:43 PM
He shouldn't be a backup. He's far and away the the best 1b in baseball right now, and should be #2 in the MVP race behind Hamilton who is also having a ridiculous year.

Whoever is #3 isn't even close.

But we'll see. Odds are the Sox army will have to come through to give him the starting 1B job instead of Adrian Gonzalez.

Or Mark Teixeira.

soxfanatlanta
05-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Nice to see the pitching finally get some big run support; PK is approaching deity-level at this point.

WhiteSox5187
05-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Or Mark Teixeira.

Or Albert Pujols who still carries a lot of name recognition.

Zakath
05-27-2012, 07:48 PM

If he doesn't get the starter's spot, with the season he's having, they should abolish fan voting.

Or change the All-Star Game to "Yankees-Red Sox vs. The Rest of MLB."

There's no other 1B in the same league as him this year. He's hitting 130 points better than Gonzalez and 150 better than Teixeira.

slavko
05-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Bet the Indians are glad they don't see us again until September.

Five straight at home gets us to 12-13 at home this season, with 9 more at home coming up after the trip to Tampa.

The numbers Paulie's putting up are unbelievable, but probably getting a little boost by the fact that you can't pitch around him, because we're getting offense up and down the lineup.

Pitched around him in the 8th and got burned by Tank.

Having flashbacks to Clobberin' Time. (for you old people)

SoxSpeed22
05-27-2012, 07:58 PM
You knew runs were going to happen this weekend with the weather the way it was. Good to see the Sox bats respond. Nice to get the Tribe when they were missing their best guys. Nice sweep and hope they can keep this up against Tampa.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Or Albert Pujols who still carries a lot of name recognition.

Even though his numbers are crap (compared to Paulie's). As are Teixiera's. As are Gonzalez's. I know though, it's all a popularity contest.

Of course, I preface all this with "it's only the end of May, but..."

Paulie should be the unquestioned starting 1B for the AL. He's hitting absolutely lights out...but what should be and what actually is are two different things. Pitchers may still have to pitch around Paulie even though the people around him are killing the ball too, he's hitting that well.

Paulie should even be the MVP. Hamilton is hitting outstanding, but Paulie is hitting unconsciously...he's doing everything right. Almost .400 after two months? Are you ****ing kidding me? OBP over .470? Seriously?

Paul Konerko, you are unreal. Absolutely un-****ing-real.

TDog
05-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Paulie should even be the MVP. Hamilton is hitting outstanding, but Paulie is hitting unconsciously...he's doing everything right. Almost .400 after two months? Are you ****ing kidding me? OBP over .470? Seriously?

Paul Konerko, you are unreal. Absolutely un-****ing-real.

Some people believe the MVP should be the offensive player of the year, and Hamilton and Konerko are both having incredible offensive years. But Konerko has been more valuable to the second-place White Sox than Hamilton has been to the first-place Rangers.

johnny bench
05-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Holy beans it was really stinkin hot at the old ballpark today.

Congrats, Paulie on number 400. I was there for 300 and look forward to 500.

Back to back triples? Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Some people believe the MVP should be the offensive player of the year, and Hamilton and Konerko are both having incredible offensive years. But Konerko has been more valuable to the second-place White Sox than Hamilton has been to the first-place Rangers.

I think so...even though the Sox won the games he was out after the HBP by Smarmy.

The Rangers lose Hamilton, they still got Beltre, Young, and Cruz to shoulder the load. The Sox lose Konerko, they really have to lean on Dunn, Viciedo, and Rios. Even though all three have been great lately, who knows if they can keep this pace up (particularly Viciedo)?

Wedema
05-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Holy beans it was really stinkin hot at the old ballpark today.

Congrats, Paulie on number 400. I was there for 300 and look forward to 500.

Back to back triples? Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Yes it was very hot today but remember when it was 40 degrees and rainy for the Red Sox games?

Brian26
05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
If he doesn't get the starter's spot, with the season he's having, they should abolish fan voting.

Or change the All-Star Game to "Yankees-Red Sox vs. The Rest of MLB."

There's no other 1B in the same league as him this year. He's hitting 130 points better than Gonzalez and 150 better than Teixeira.

And, Gonzalez is playing RF for Boston.

TDog
05-27-2012, 08:46 PM
And, Gonzalez is playing RF for Boston.

In 1972, Dick Allen was listed among outfielders on the All-Star ballot. The league somehow counted his votes for first base, where he led all of baseball in votes.

I've seen quite a few national Konerko stories lately. I'm wondering if MLB is trying to influence the fan vote. If Konerko keeps hitting, I wouldn't be surprised if Konerko ends up starting at first.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Zakath:

They should have abolished the fan voting after Lopes was voted in as a starter (he was hitting less than .200) and Schmidt was voted in to start at 3rd base (he retired two months earlier...)

:rolleyes:

Agreed it's not the best players, it's a popularity contest (and yet home field is at stake for the World Series :?:)

A total complete joke.

Lip

GlassSox
05-27-2012, 09:45 PM
What a great weekend at the ball park! Today was a cooker but it was so much fun. It was great to see Beckham's & Ramirez's bats alive and well and Hudson with a triple, wow.

Hitmen77
05-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Congratulations to Paul Konerko for his 400th HR with the White Sox. :gulp::bandance:

His first HR for the White Sox was on April 5, 1999 vs. the Mariners at the Kingdome:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199904050SEA

48 more HRs to tie Frank Thomas as the Sox all time leader.

cards press box
05-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Lip

I think we'll be lucky to win one in Tampa, but coming back home we should have a right to expect to sweep Seattle, win 2/3 from Toronto, and sweep Houston.

If so, that puts us around 35-25 on June 11. If so, is KW a "buyer?"

If KW does try to make a deal for pitching, who would he deal? And who would he try to acquire? It sure seemed that the Sox explored dealing Gavin Floyd in the offseason. Floyd has had some great moments this year but he has been inconsistent, too.

I think that KW will see if the starting can settle down in the next month or so and, if it doesn't, he may try to acquire a Ryan Dempster or an Eric Bedard.

Congratulations to "Mr. 400"!!! :gulp:

And kudos to Jeff Manto!!! :bandance:

What a great week it's been! :)

I agree on all counts and it's great to say:

:winner

and

:indianslose

Lip Man 1
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Cards:

I thought of Dempster myself but I can't see the Cubs making any type of deal with the Sox especially if it could help the Sox potentially make the postseason.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
05-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I could see Dempster going to Detroit or Baltimore. The Mets could also be in the running for him, since they resolved their ownership problems. I would think Epstoyer would try and get some starting pitching out of a Dempster deal.

mzh
05-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Cards:

I thought of Dempster myself but I can't see the Cubs making any type of deal with the Sox especially if it could help the Sox potentially make the postseason.

Lip
That would be an interesting test for the Genius and company. The epitome of choosing to really change and build for the future, or give in to the 'Cubbie Culture.'

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Dempster for half a season, depending on what we'd be parting with.

cards press box
05-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Cards:

Lip

Lip, I agree that the Cubs' new regime would likely not want to deal Dempster to the Sox and then watch him pitch for the Sox in the playoffs or maybe the World Series. But Dempster is a 10 and 5 player and could veto any possible trade. If Dempster wants to stay in Chicago this summer, then the Sox become a possible destination for him.

KMcMahon817
05-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Nah. No way Ron Washington doesn't select him.