PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Four Score and Bombs Away' 5/26 CLE vs CWS Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Looks like some bats are coming to life, and hats off to Peavy for hanging in there.

I knew Lowe's luck would run out sooner or later with his brutal peripherals.

Paulie @ .396!!!!! WOW!!

Get those brooms out tomorrow.

Boondock Saint
05-26-2012, 06:50 PM
South Side Lumber Company, they supply the wood.

doublem23
05-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Paulie is 1 hit away from .400

Goodness this has been a fun couple of weeks

October26
05-26-2012, 06:52 PM
The 2012 South Side Hitmen. :bandance:Sox win! Sox win! :)

Zisk77
05-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Poleaxed???

fram40
05-26-2012, 06:53 PM
After Kipnis' second homer pulled teh Tribe to 8 - 7, Peavy and the bullpen retired the last 14 batters.

Depsite the rough day for Peavy, the bullpen was not over-taxed. They should be in good shape for tomorrow

Soxman219
05-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Hawk was crazy today, must mean the Sox are doing good things. When do we start the MVP chants for Paulie?

LoveYourSuit
05-26-2012, 06:56 PM
This is one amazing run we are on.

Please sweep tomorrow!

roylestillman
05-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Poleaxed???
My favorite Hawkism of the day.

soxinem1
05-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Hawk was crazy today, must mean the Sox are doing good things. When do we start the MVP chants for Paulie?

After PK got his fourth hit I looked up to see what 1B was doing better. All the way around? No one.

He not only deserves to be the starting 1B in the All-Star game, but the MVP recognition has to grow.

He will not hit this high all year, however it seems he has never been this good with pitch selection before.

Give credit also to Dunn, Rios, and AJ for Konerko's season. Dunn's OPS, Rios going to all fields, AJ's so-far career year, and Tank's power show have suddenly made the 3-7 part of this lineup tough to pitch through without something happening.

De Aza gets praise too. Having a solid lead-off man that has several offensive weapons for the first time in ages also helps.

Golden Sox
05-26-2012, 07:07 PM
I know it's early and it's a long season. I never try to count my chickens before they're hatched, but I can't help but wonder, are we witnessing a Miracle on 35th Street? Did anybody expect Dunn, Rios and Peavy to be this productive? I sure didn't. Hopefully this can keep up the rest of the year.

doublem23
05-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Don't forget Viciedo, who's on an absolute tear right now

samurai_sox
05-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Paulie hitting .396!?

That's "Chuck Norris-in-a-slump" type numbers!

fram40
05-26-2012, 07:09 PM
After PK got his fourth hit I looked up to see what 1B was doing better. All the way around? No one.

He not only deserves to be the starting 1B in the All-Star game, but the MVP recognition has to grow.

He will not hit this high all year, however it seems he has never been this good with pitch selection before.

Give credit also to Dunn, Rios, and AJ for Konerko's season. Dunn's OPS, Rios going to all fields, AJ's so-far career year, and Tank's power show have suddenly made the 3-7 part of this lineup tough to pitch through without something happening.

De Aza gets praise too. Having a solid lead-off man that has several offensive weapons for the first time in ages also helps.

And even when that leadoff man has a rough day - the team can still score 14 runs due to the 3-7 part of the lineup

This was an impressive offensive performance to say the least

guillensdisciple
05-26-2012, 07:12 PM
viciedo is the future. Man is going to be a monster.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2012, 07:14 PM
"Winning is fun...fun is winning..." -- Ozzie Guillen.

Don't stop now boys...

Lip

shingo10
05-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Paulie and Tanks are lethal right now. If you throw it over the plate they are crushing it.

If we can feel this good all summer long at home with the bats then the division is ours. Simple as that.

At any rate it is freaking nice to not be 11 games under .500 at this point.

Looking for Gavin to pitch like a respectable big leaguer tomorrow. Hopefully he can get us deep into the game.

ElevenUp
05-26-2012, 07:20 PM
This is fun! Rios got robbed twice but still managed to do some damage.

Harry Potter
05-26-2012, 07:31 PM
A lot of us targeted a 4-2 record for this week's homestand. Win tomorrow and its 5-1.

Either way, this team has won 8 of the past 9 games = fun baseball! :cool:

SCCWS
05-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Lets also give a tip of the hat to Robin and Manto for the offensive upswing.

fisk4ever
05-26-2012, 07:41 PM

For one brief moment, I thought Hawk was going to let it go...just say "poleaxed" once and shut up. No. He had to go on and on and on.

Also, if he doesn't have time to go through his entire home-run call before the ball lands, could he not skip one of the phrases? He's having to crowd the "back", "stretch" and "he looks up". Just skip one of them and go on to "you can put it on the board. Yes. Yes. Mercy. A blank-run homer for Nickname and the Sox lead it ... "

chisoxfanatic
05-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I know it's early and it's a long season. I never try to count my chickens before they're hatched, but I can't help but wonder, are we witnessing a Miracle on 35th Street? Did anybody expect Dunn, Rios and Peavy to be this productive? I sure didn't. Hopefully this can keep up the rest of the year.
Not only are last year's underperformers working that thing, but the so-called no-namers are also working it. This is a very balanced lineup at this time. Whatever Robin is saying in the clubhouse is working. We're nearing the 1/3 mark of the season. Let's hope it continues.

BigKlu59
05-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Man, this knockin the cover off of the ball baseball is sweet, isnt it. Even when they are making an out its a screamer at somebody. Tough luck for Alex, but we still brought 3 in that inning after Brantley's slight of hand. As for Jake... a couple of hiccups, but he still got the big W. I hope we've reached a concensus that this team could be a team that is never out of any ball game this season.. Yes, that 3-7 anybody can paste ya is a sweet thing to run up there..

BK59

nsolo
05-26-2012, 07:48 PM
all I've got to say is that is it sure nice to NOT leave ducks on the pond....

LongLiveFisk
05-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Awesome win today. :cool:

And for the little punk I saw in the crowd today that had the balls to wear his stupid "SOX SUCK" t-shirt on our turf, BITE IT BUDDY!! :neener:

Rikirk
05-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I had a feeling Dunn would have a better year this year, after all...if your near bottom the only place to go is up. But Dunn is still a good player, but the production from Paulie and the rest of the crew....lovely.

Please...give us more!

cards press box
05-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Just got back from the game. What an offensive explosion! I know that this guy

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/imagebrowser/view/imagecache/31750/Full

would have definitely appreciated this nice win over the Tribe.

:winner

FoulTerritory
05-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Lets also give a tip of the hat to Robin and Manto for the offensive upswing.

This probably deserves its own thread. Every hitter in the sox lineup today was clearly instructed that the way to beat Lowe is to go oppo. So many times, in recent years, with pitchers of that ilk, our lineup would, as a whole, try to pull and ground out. Its so refreshing that there was a rational plan in place for the specific pitcher and that the players listened to the plan and executed it. Credit to Manto, Robin, and the players for that.

Crooked Number
05-26-2012, 07:58 PM
How fun has this recent stretch of games been? I can't remember the last time I have been this entertained. "Are we not entertained?" Jake was shaky again, but when you got guys swinging the bat like Pauly/Tank/AJ/Rios etc we will take it!

Oh yeah, ahem...cue my gals:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7380&d=1334378966

russ99
05-26-2012, 08:03 PM
What a fun game to go to!

Sit in the not too hot sun, get a nice tan, have a few beers and watch the Sox clobber the opposition.

Last year's team would have quit when the Indians took the 5-4 lead. This team is different. I wanted to start the Paulie MVP chant after the last double, that I was sure was a homer.

Go Sox! Go for the sweep!

:gulp:

TDog
05-26-2012, 08:12 PM
After Kipnis' second homer pulled the Tribe to 8 - 7, Peavy and the bullpen retired the last 14 batters.

Depsite the rough day for Peavy, the bullpen was not over-taxed. They should be in good shape for tomorrow

I saw the replays on GameDay with the Indians broadcasters doing Indians highlights. The first Kipnis home run was initially described as a pop up and the second second seemed to carry much better than they expected. I don't know if they just weren't getting a good read on the ball or if flies to right were carrying unusually well. Not that the home runs were flukes, and I am sure, though, that there were some Sox fans wondering why Peavy was left in so long.

I get the impression from friends back in the Chicago area that Sox fans believe Ventura leaves his starters in too long. Still, Ventura isn't burning out the bullpen. Today, he had the luxury of sending out Peavy to start the seventh after he had already allowed seven runs. Today's win sort of balances out Peavy's 1-0 loss, although it remains unfortunate that he couldn't beat the Tigers after being staked to a 6-0 lead.

The Indians came into the game not only hot and in first place, but as a team that had played better on the road, only topping .500 at home this year by sweeping the Tigers before coming to Chicago. (It's a little odd that most AL teams, including all AL Central teams, have played better on the road this year. That's even true for the Rangers and Orioles.) The Sox, who had only won one 2012 series at home a week ago, have now clinched their second straight winning home series and have won four straight. They also have beaten the Indians four straight overall. The White Sox have outscored them by 13 runs in the last two games.

Konerko has been absolutely incredible -- three doubles a single and a walk. His first two months have been Ted Williams-esque. Rios, after knocking out the Indians catcher Friday night with a foul ball, was on everything today, robbed of a home run in the first before getting one late in the game (not unlike De Aza earlier the the homestand who just missed a home run against the Twins before coming up later to hit a grand slam.) Viciedo has recovered mightily from his slow start. Except for the loss to the Twins in Floyd's previous start, everything has gone right since the sweep at Wrigley.

Despite my '70s flashbacks when the Indians pulled ahead and then made it 8-7, I like this team, mainly because I believe it has superior pitching, which wasn't on display in two innings today. When the pitching isn't there, it's nice to know winning isn't out of the question.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Some friends called and asked to go out to dinner right after the Sox scored 4 in the 3rd, I hated to leave the game but what are you going to do, gotta keep the little woman happy.
The boys are on fire and it would be great if we can go on a run like we did this time of the year in 2010.
We might be seeing the start of a tremendous career by the Tank. I will go out on a limb and say he might have numbers close to the Big Hurt by the time his career is over.

Boondock Saint
05-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Some friends called and asked to go out to dinner right after the Sox scored 4 in the 3rd, I hated to leave the game but what are you going to do, gotta keep the little woman happy.
The boys are on fire and it would be great if we can go on a run like we did this time of the year in 2010.
We might be seeing the start of a tremendous career by the Tank. I will go out on a limb and say he might have numbers close to the Big Hurt by the time his career is over.

That's one hell of a limb to go out on.

GlassSox
05-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Just got home from the game. That was an absolute great game and played very well. Paulie continues to be outstanding. There were some Indian's fans near us in upper deck and they got quieter and quieter and then complete silence.

cws05champ
05-26-2012, 08:33 PM

More like a tiny branch to go out on when you weigh 250lbs. I'm encouraged by the Tank but he will never hit for a high average like Thomas did and he doesn't take walks.

The Sox may want to start thinking of an extension for him though since he is Arb eligible for the first time after this year.

FielderJones
05-26-2012, 08:34 PM
The 2012 South Side Hitmen. :bandance:Sox win! Sox win! :)

Break out the wide-collared shirts in white and navy! :tongue:

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 08:38 PM

I did say ''might'' but you have to think positive.

tstrike2000
05-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Paulie hitting .396!?

Paul Konerko is the only person Chuck Norris has allowed to start on his fantasy team, which is especially an honor since every other position is Chuck Norris.

TomBradley72
05-26-2012, 08:42 PM
AND some very nice defense from Tank and TCM today- Viciedo is quickly becoming a + LF.

I think Robin is doing a good job of handling the pen- I'm sure he's anticipating an important game tomorrow plus a challenging 3 game series at TB.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2012, 08:43 PM
For one brief moment, I thought Hawk was going to let it go...just say "poleaxed" once and shut up. No. He had to go on and on and on.

Also, if he doesn't have time to go through his entire home-run call before the ball lands, could he not skip one of the phrases? He's having to crowd the "back", "stretch" and "he looks up". Just skip one of them and go on to "you can put it on the board. Yes. Yes. Mercy. A blank-run homer for Nickname and the Sox lead it ... "

Agreed. And thought I know he's had significant problems with his vision, he needs to be more careful about how and when he uses "stretch." There's no reason to say it when the ball is on course to land several rows deep in the bleachers, nor does he need to throw it out there on a ball that leaves the park so quickly, as Viciedo's low line drive to RF did.

It's nice to hear excitement in his voice after such a terrible season in 2011, but he would do better to stop insisting on the same home run call every time someone goes deep. Variety is never a bad thing.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Agreed. Konerko deserves credit for the gradual improvements he's made over the course of his career. He seems to be getting better at an age when most players- including Frank Thomas- are on the decline. That being said, Frank Thomas' greatness rested in his ability to dominate every category of the offensive stat sheet, and I will be shocked if any player is able to even approach the kinds of numbers he posted during the first ten seasons of his career.

Konerko may approach Thomas' career totals with the Sox, but he's not going to be able to duplicate Frank's day-to-day numbers. Only a handful of players in the history of MLB have been able to do that.

Brian26
05-26-2012, 08:59 PM

He has every reason to be. The offense is on fire.

vinny
05-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Just got back from the game. Man, they shot a load of fireworks today. I spent most of the game in the Fundamentals area but got to see most of the action. Even after the Tribe went up 5-4, I wasn't depressed like I would have been last season. Lots of smoking hits, plus we took advantage of some misplays on their part. Gorgeous weather to boot. Go go White Sox!

Brian26
05-26-2012, 09:04 PM

If you've got the game on DVR, watch the opening with Hawk and Stone before the game. Hawk referred to last night's pitcher as Jose "Quintara" or "Contrara". I think he had Jose Contreras on his mind.

Brian26
05-26-2012, 09:08 PM
viciedo is the future. Man is going to be a monster.

And to think people were worried because we got nothing back from San Diego for Quentin.

slavko
05-26-2012, 09:21 PM

ESPN late afternoon wrapup guys called him "Best First Baseman in Baseball." They're right, for anyone who has HOF hopes for him.

WSI. The place where we complain about hitting so many home runs that Hawk needs another call to avoid boring us. :D: Suffer.

mrfourni
05-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Was there any reason why Bob Saget sang the national anthem? He sounded terrible

GlassSox
05-26-2012, 09:33 PM
AND some very nice defense from Tank and TCM today- Viciedo is quickly becoming a + LF.

I think Robin is doing a good job of handling the pen- I'm sure he's anticipating an important game tomorrow plus a challenging 3 game series at TB.

Viciedo is getting better with experience, his foul ball catch was very nice.

Zakath
05-26-2012, 10:17 PM

There's no one even close. The only other true 1B in the majors that's even in the same ballpark with Paulie is Votto, and he's in the NL.

Paulie actually leads the majors now in BA, since Wright was 0-3 today for the Mets and dropped to .390.

CHISOXFAN13
05-26-2012, 10:18 PM
ESPN late afternoon wrapup guys called him "Best First Baseman in Baseball." They're right, for anyone who has HOF hopes for him.

WSI. The place where we complain about hitting so many home runs that Hawk needs another call to avoid boring us. :D: Suffer.

Just nine days ago, Phil Rogers said he's give the nod to Bryan LaHair as the all-city first baseman.

LOL

SephClone89
05-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Was there any reason why Bob Saget sang the national anthem? He sounded terrible

He didn't sound terrible.

Terrible was the anthem singer for tonight's US-Scotland friendly. Yeeeesh.

Senerch23
05-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Can anyone explain how Konerko keeps getting better every year at this point in his career? He's been great to watch over the last 13+ years, hopefully he ends his career with the White Sox. It would be even better to see him win another World Series before he retires.

Foulke You
05-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Paulie hitting .396!?

Unlike last year, teams cannot pitch around Paulie. Dunn is hitting in front of him and blasting HRs and getting on base. AJ or Rios bat behind him and both of them are scorching hot.

On a side note, this has to be the best 10 game stretch of offense the Sox have had since 2008. I remember a 4 game sweep of the Twins at home in '08 where we blew them out the whole series. This 2012 run might be better.

vinny
05-26-2012, 10:57 PM
He didn't sound terrible.
Seriously. I missed it live but when I listed to it on MLB.com, it wasn't bad at all. A little low (and thus harder to hear), but on pitch and nothing fancy, no melismas or other ridiculous ****.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Got back from game about an hour ago. It bears repeating, an absolutely fun day! There is a definite good vibe going on right now. They don't lay down and die. And the nacho helmet is awesome. Now Brewer fans can't give me crap anymore. :cool:

GoSox2K3
05-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Damn you, White Sox! Instead enjoying this run for however long it lasts, I wish they'd start losing so that people will stop believing this team has a shot at the playoffs this year!

JB98
05-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Awesome game to be at this afternoon. The first five games I went to this season, I saw the Sox score a total of 12 runs. Today they had 14. It's been awhile since we've seen the bats being swung like this on the South Side.

Maybe Walker was to blame. :D:

hawkjt
05-27-2012, 02:31 AM
Amazing three games of offense....explosion after explosion.
It is fun while it lasts...lets hope it lasts for awhile.

But,just in case, Gavin better pitch better tomorrow.
Gonna be very hot,the ball will be jumping again,and Choo is waiting.

LITTLE NELL
05-27-2012, 07:43 AM
On Hawks homer calls, thats one of his trademarks.
Did people ever get tired of Harry's ''It could be, it might be, it is a home run''. Or Brickhouse with ''Back, back, back, Hey, Hey, that a way Minnie!!''.

Zakath
05-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Unlike last year, teams cannot pitch around Paulie. Dunn is hitting in front of him and blasting HRs and getting on base. AJ or Rios bat behind him and both of them are scorching hot.

On a side note, this has to be the best 10 game stretch of offense the Sox have had since 2008. I remember a 4 game sweep of the Twins at home in '08 where we blew them out the whole series. This 2012 run might be better.

June 6-9. Wraparound series. 10-6, 11-2, 12-2, and 7-5. Earlier in the week, they had swept KC at the Cell in a 3-game series: 9-5, 6-4, and 6-2.

Later in June, they took 3 from the Pirates at the Cell - 16-5, 8-2, 13-8.

Unfortunately, after the Minnesota series, they went to Detroit and got swept, and then after the Pittsburgh series went to Wrigley and got swept.

Moral of the story: Enjoy the feast, because you never know when the famine's coming.

doublem23
05-27-2012, 08:16 AM

I'm as big a Viciedo backer as there is around here, and I don't know if I'd go that far... Overall his range leaves a lot to be desired, a lot of his liabilities are hidden by U.S. Cellular Field which is a very small, symmetrical OF.

He is getting better though and, at the very least, is in no way a downgrade over Pierre. The OF defense of Viciedo-De Aza-Rios is so much better than Pierre-Rios-Quentin, it's laughable.

TomBradley72
05-27-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm as big a Viciedo backer as there is around here, and I don't know if I'd go that far... Overall his range leaves a lot to be desired, a lot of his liabilities are hidden by U.S. Cellular Field which is a very small, symmetrical OF.

He is getting better though and, at the very least, is in no way a downgrade over Pierre. The OF defense of Viciedo-De Aza-Rios is so much better than Pierre-Rios-Quentin, it's laughable.

I agree to a certain extent on his range- and maybe The Cell's LF protects him a little bit- but he covers the line/corner better than anyone I can remember- for example yesterday he made 2 nice catches- one on a foul ball down the line near the rail, and the other fading away towards the foul pole on a deep fly into the corner- I am sure Pierre and CLee do not get those balls and I doubt Pods or TCQ get them. On top of that- when he covers those balls down the line- he comes up throwing with his bazooka arm which is light years better than anyone else we've had out there that I can remember.

For the overall defense- since Rios has broad range in RF, that frees up De Aza to shade a little more towards LF when needed and cover the gap- freeing up Dayan to focus on straightaway LF and the line.

I think by the end of this season he'll be the strongest defender we've had in LF since Calderon in the early 90's.

Specific to the Central Division- the other LF's are Damon (Indians), Gordon (Royals), Dirks (Tigers), and Willingham (Twins)- I'd put him at #2 in the Division today- behind Gordon.

For the league overall- in addition to Gordon- I'd put Trout (Angels) ahead of Dayan as well- after looking at all of the other LFs in the American League- I'd put Dayan as #3 in the AL. Not only from his personal performance- but also because there are not that many really good LFs in the league this year.

jdm2662
05-27-2012, 09:56 AM
First game of the year. I picked a good game to go to. Perfect weather, lots of offense, and got to spend the night out down there.

Chez
05-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Baseball is a funny game. It's hard to believe that two weeks ago, the Sox were having trouble scoring runs off Luke Hochevar and the rest of the Royals staff. Now they are absolutely mashing.

Konerko, A.J. and Viciedo are using the whole field -- not trying to pull everything. Great approach.

sullythered
05-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Sox currently second in the AL in run differential.

#1swisher
05-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Viciedo drove in five runs and Konerko went 4-for-4.

White Sox Recap
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_05_26_clemlb_chamlb_1&mode=wrap&c_id=cws#gid=2012_05_26_clemlb_chamlb_1&mode=preview

Tragg
05-27-2012, 11:42 AM
That arm of his counterbalances the lack of range. Sure he allows extra hits; but he suppresses runs scoring from 3rd as well; and he minimizes singles turned into cheap doubles.
All in all, Viciedo probably breaks down to at least average.

I don't see a lot of games, but De Aza doesn't seem to me to be that great a defensive center fielder. But as pointed out above, Rios' range in right helps him.

shingo10
05-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Baseball is a funny game. It's hard to believe that two weeks ago, the Sox were having trouble scoring runs off Luke Hochevar and the rest of the Royals staff. Now they are absolutely mashing.

Konerko, A.J. and Viciedo are using the whole field -- not trying to pull everything. Great approach.

The one thing I know is the more I watch baseball the less I understand it.

asindc
05-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Was at game yesterday, first one at Comiskey since 2009. I picked a good one for my return. Was there with brother and nephew, sitting along LF line just before foul pole. The lineup is playing with confidence. I think both Dunn and Pauly are very relaxed at the plate knowing that they will have run scoring opportunities (De Aza getting on base) and don't necessarily need to supply all the power (AJ, Viciedo). Good atmosphere at the park. :bandance:

fisk4ever
05-27-2012, 12:30 PM

This particular Hawk complaint was not that the call is boring, per se, but that "stretch" or "he looks up" could be eliminated when the ball is already over the wall. I agree that I'm picking nits, and I will gladly suffer 4-5 times a game!

soxinem1
05-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Much like his HBO Comedy Special. :D: