PDA

View Full Version : Great photo of old Comiskey

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I have 4 books on old Comiskey and have a bunch of pictures on my computer but I've never seen this one. The park looks great and my guess is it was taken in 58 or 59 because the new press box and concession area in the upper deck behind home plate are in place. They were added after the 57 season due to a fire in the old press box which needed a fire. Veeck painted the park white after the 59 season and was ready for the 60 season along with the new scoreboard.
If you look at my regular photo of the park which is probably early 50s because the Sox are playing the St Louis Browns and they moved to Baltimore in 1954, you can tell the difference that I'm talking about in the concession area.
Why Veeck painted it white I'll never know.

PS Just figured out that the picture was taken during the 59 World Series, if you look at the roof behind home plate you will see a bunch of camera men behind a yellow fence that they built for the series. If it was taken Oct 2, 1959, yours truly was there.
Also on the scoreboard instead of out of town games they had the batting orders of the Dodgers and the Sox.

Brian26
05-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Its always amazes me to think about the undertaking it must have been to build the Dan Ryan Expressway....the amount of stuff that had to knocked down and the amount of dirt that needed to be hauled away.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Its always amazes me to think about the undertaking it must have been to build the Dan Ryan Expressway....the amount of stuff that had to knocked down and the amount of dirt that needed to be hauled away.

Plus we had to walk from the El station at 35th and State.

I remember when the Eisenhower was being built, they tore a bunch of stuff down for that one, BTW it was called the Congress St Expressway in its early years.

doublem23
05-25-2012, 02:02 PM

It takes a lot of work to blight a neighborhood

Golden Sox
05-25-2012, 02:15 PM
I've seen this photo before and I'm absolutely positive this photo was taken during the 59 World Series. I not only wondered why Veeck painted the park white, I've never understood why he traded Callison, Romano, Battey Cash and Mincher after the 59 season.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
I've seen this photo before and I'm absolutely positive this photo was taken during the 59 World Series.

It was, I added a PS to my OP.

Irishsox1
05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
That photo was in the 1950's but before Veeck painted the exterior white to make it "look" better. Typical Veeck with a cheap solution to a bigger problem that required money he didn't have.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2012, 03:11 PM
I've seen this photo before and I'm absolutely positive this photo was taken during the 59 World Series. I not only wondered why Veeck painted the park white, I've never understood why he traded Callison, Romano, Battey Cash and Mincher after the 59 season.

He thought that the Sox could not repeat without some power so he brought back Minnie and picked up Sievers and Freese in two other trades.
It worked for a time as we were tied for 1st in mid August of 1960 but faded in the stretch and finished 3rd.
We sure as hell traded away some fine young talent and when we won over 90 games in 63,64 and 65 with great pitching and defense and very little power it proved that he made a mistake. At old Comiskey you built the team for pitching and defense, not power. The biggest mistake the Sox made in those years was being in the same league as the Yankees.

white sox bill
05-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I have 4 books on old Comiskey and have a bunch of pictures on my computer but I've never seen this one. The park looks great and my guess is it was taken in 58 or 59 because the new press box and concession area in the upper deck behind home plate are in place. They were added after the 57 season due to a fire in the old press box which needed a fire. Veeck painted the park white after the 59 season and was ready for the 60 season along with the new scoreboard.
If you look at my regular photo of the park which is probably early 50s because the Sox are playing the St Louis Browns and they moved to Baltimore in 1954, you can tell the difference that I'm talking about in the concession area.

PS Just figured out that the picture was taken during the 59 World Series, if you look at the roof behind home plate you will see a bunch of camera men behind a yellow fence that they built for the series. If it was taken Oct 2, 1959, yours truly was there.
Also on the scoreboard instead of out of town games they had the batting orders of the Dodgers and the Sox.
Is that you to the right of the scoreboard six rows down? In the green Tee?:smile:

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Is that you to the right of the scoreboard six rows down? In the green Tee?:smile:

Box seats above the aisle pretty far down the right field line.
Tee? Nobody wore tees to the park in those days, suits and hats for the men, ladies wore dresses.
I was at game 2 and will never forget this. Notice the suits and ties.
No Sox caps or jerseys, only kids wore caps and I had mine on that day.

http://90feetofperfection.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/alsmith1959worldseries.jpg

FielderJones
05-25-2012, 03:57 PM
As the beer was raining down on Al Smith I was blowing out five candles.

WhiteSox5187
05-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Wow! That is a great picture! I have never seen a color picture of Old Comiskey before it was painted white. I always thought it looked better after it was painted white plus when I was a kid I thought it was cool that the White Sox played in a white park. Of course, I was three when they tore down Old Comiskey so that didn't last long.

Medford Bobby
05-25-2012, 04:29 PM
No matter how much time goes by....still miss the old lady:whiner:

white sox bill
05-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Box seats above the aisle pretty far down the right field line.
Tee? Nobody wore tees to the park in those days, suits and hats for the men, ladies wore dresses.
I was at game 2 and will never forget this. Notice the suits and ties.
No Sox caps or jerseys, only kids wore caps and I had mine on that day.

http://90feetofperfection.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/alsmith1959worldseries.jpg
Isn't this alcohol abuse?

BigKlu59
05-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Never understood the white wash. The brick and arches were a defining characteristic of the hallowed ball yard. Gave it that "part of the neighbourhood" feel to it. Thanks for digging this one up. I'm really big on all things sports in an historical sense.. Yes, Fedora, shirt and tie and "Ladies Best" day or evening wear.. I remember Dad calling from work when he got tickets and having to wear a little mans suit to the game at Comiskey for the Sox w/ matchin glove :D:, Wrigley for Da Bears, or the Stadium for the Hawks... I dont think it was untill the early 70's that casual came into fashion..

On a side note, is there a way I can download this as to enlarge it?

PS Bring back the white stirrups with the bands..

BK59

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Never understood the white wash. The brick and arches were a defining characteristic of the hallowed ball yard. Gave it that "part of the neighbourhood" feel to it. Thanks for digging this one up. I'm really big on all things sports in an historical sense.. Yes, Fedora, shirt and tie and "Ladies Best" day or evening wear.. I remember Dad calling from work when he got tickets and having to wear a little mans suit to the game at Comiskey for the Sox w/ matchin glove :D:, Wrigley for Da Bears, or the Stadium for the Hawks... I dont think it was untill the early 70's that casual came into fashion..

On a side note, is there a way I can download this as to enlarge it?

BK59

I found it in a message board called Baseball Fever and they had 35 pages of old Comiskey messages and pictures.
If you click on my attachment click it again to enlarge then you can right click and save to your pictures.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/

BigKlu59
05-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks Nell... Much appreciated !!!! Now to get lost in sweet nostalgia :D:

BK59

fisk4ever
05-25-2012, 06:11 PM
I found it in a message board called Baseball Fever and they had 35 pages of old Comiskey messages and pictures.
If you click on my attachment click it again to enlarge then you can right click and save to your pictures.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/

I wish you had brought home a win in Game 2. I was in junior high and our homeroom teacher had promised that we could go to the gym and watch Game 1 on tv, but privilege was taken away when the teacher thought one of the kids sassed him. I am still bitter.

Thanks for the link. Many interesting forums there, including "Statistics, Analysis & Sabermetrics."

Paulwny
05-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the picture Nell. It brought back my teen yrs.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2012, 06:34 PM
I wish you had brought home a win in Game 2. I was in junior high and our homeroom teacher had promised that we could go to the gym and watch Game 1 on tv, but privilege was taken away when the teacher thought one of the kids sassed him. I am still bitter.

Thanks for the link. Many interesting forums there, including "Statistics, Analysis & Sabermetrics."

That 2nd game was the killer when we were rallying in the 8th but Sherm Lollar was out by a mile trying to score the tying run. He was out by so much he didn't bother to slide.

fisk4ever
05-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Lollar was not blessed with speed.
You've probably seen these highlight reels: http://www.baltimoresun.com/videogallery/69087978/Sports/White-Sox-in-1959-World-Series

Paulwny
05-25-2012, 06:50 PM
You've probably seen these highlight reels: http://www.baltimoresun.com/videogallery/69087978/Sports/White-Sox-in-1959-World-Series

The Go-Go Sox had one player who was slow-slow.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Seen it many times. I was a vendor in 1962 and remember the guy selling programs at the beginning of the clip.

SI1020
05-25-2012, 07:03 PM
The usually reliable third base coach Tony Cuccinelo sent Lollar home. It killed the rally and all the momentum from game 1 was lost. I was just shy of my 9th birthday and had a sick feeling after that game.

LongLiveFisk
05-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Wow, the cars in the parking lot all look like square Matchbox cars neatly parked together. :D:

fisk4ever
05-25-2012, 07:20 PM
About :40 into this video you can see Lollar being waved around. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0JsWgz4fg

Nellie_Fox
05-26-2012, 12:20 AM
I remember when the Eisenhower was being built, they tore a bunch of stuff down for that one, BTW it was called the Congrees St Expressway in its early years.My grandmother lived a couple of blocks away from the Congress Street Expressway in Maywood. We'd walk down there and look into the excavation while it was being built. Those were mammoth projects.

SI1020
05-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Plus we had to walk from the El station at 35th and State.

I remember when the Eisenhower was being built, they tore a bunch of stuff down for that one, BTW it was called the Congrees St Expressway in its early years. The Kennedy was called the Northwest Expressway when it was first built. One of my grammar school classmates was displaced when they were building it. Those expressways all cut through many Chicago residential neighborhoods

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 12:04 PM
The Kennedy was called the Northwest Expressway when it was first built. One of my grammar school classmates was displaced when they were building it. Those expressways all cut through many Chicago residential neighborhoods

My fathers boyhood home was at Congress and Sacramento and it was torn down for the Congress Expressway.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 12:12 PM
My grandmother lived a couple of blocks away from the Congress Street Expressway in Maywood. We'd walk down there and look into the excavation while it was being built. Those were mammoth projects.

My cousin lived in Hillside one block east of Wolf Road and next to the Expressway. At that point it is elevated and it was a great hill for sledding at the time.

BTW in your visits to Maywood did you ever take in a movie at the Lido Theatre or have a root beer at Streutzels? (not sure of the spelling)

doublem23
05-26-2012, 12:21 PM
My grandmother lived a couple of blocks away from the Congress Street Expressway in Maywood. We'd walk down there and look into the excavation while it was being built. Those were mammoth projects.

I wish someone had some photos of them building the expressways, I can't even imagine.

My high school alma mater was originally on the Near West Side, at Des Plaines and Adams, next to Old St. Pat's Church, but was displaced by the Eisenhower, too, so they moved out to the Northwest Side.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 12:54 PM
I wish someone had some photos of them building the expressways, I can't even imagine.

My high school alma mater was originally on the Near West Side, at Des Plaines and Adams, next to Old St. Pat's Church, but was displaced by the Eisenhower, too, so they moved out to the Northwest Side.

Here's the Congress just west of the post office.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-08/41843489.jpg

doublem23
05-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Here's the Congress just west of the post office.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-08/41843489.jpg

I take it that elevated train line in the background is the now demolished Garfield Park Line?

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 01:25 PM
I take it that elevated train line in the background is the now demolished Garfield Park Line?

I think you are right, did it not branch off from the Lake St line and go south passing the Chicago Stadium and south for a few more blocks before turning to the west as you see in the photo.

Brian26
05-26-2012, 01:40 PM
My cousin lived in Hillside one block east of Wolf Road and next to the Expressway. At that point it is elevated and it was a great hill for sledding at the time.

BTW in your visits to Maywood did you ever take in a movie at the Lido Theatre or have a root beer at Streutzels? (not sure of the spelling)

I found this article. I think it was "Strutzels".

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-30/news/ct-x-w-0430-wht-strutzels-root-beer-20100430_1_stands-parking-lot-schooners

As you can imagine, that neighborhood has changed quite a bit. I drive through there on my way home sometimes to avoid the congestion on the Ike between Manheim and Austin. Seems like 5th Avenue used to be a mecca of family entertainment.

Brian26
05-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Nell-

Here's another forum that has memories/stories of Maywood & Melrose. There's some discussion about Strutzel's about halfway down.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/melrose-park-il/TCI0EBL7NQSCSJ48L/p12

I had no idea there was a Polk Bros at North & 1st Avenue. I go to the Menard's there quite often.

TomBradley72
05-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Back in 1988- someone should have handed this photo to the architects for the New Comiskey Park- and said "make us a modern version of this".

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 02:01 PM
I found this article. I think it was "Strutzels".

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-30/news/ct-x-w-0430-wht-strutzels-root-beer-20100430_1_stands-parking-lot-schooners

As you can imagine, that neighborhood has changed quite a bit. I drive through there on my way home sometimes to avoid the congestion on the Ike between Manheim and Austin. Seems like 5th Avenue used to be a mecca of family entertainment.

Great article, the part about the softball teams was special to me, we lived in Maywood in 1954 and 1955 before moving to Rogers Park and I played on the Cub Scout team (2nd base with my Nellie Fox glove) and if we won the scoutmaster treated us at Strutzels for a schooner, if we lost we got the smaller mug.
5th Ave was the main drag with the Lido Theatre, Sears, Dunaway Chevrolet, a lot of drug stores, diners and soda fountain shops.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Nell-

Here's another forum that has memories/stories of Maywood & Melrose. There's some discussion about Strutzel's about halfway down.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/melrose-park-il/TCI0EBL7NQSCSJ48L/p12

I had no idea there was a Polk Bros at North & 1st Avenue. I go to the Menard's there quite often.

Amlings Flowerland and Kiddieland were over in that area also. Amlings at Halloween had a great Haunted House.

Brian26
05-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Amlings Flowerland and Kiddieland were over in that area also. Amlings at Halloween had a great Haunted House.

Yes, Kiddieland is now the site of Costco.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Back in 1988- someone should have handed this photo to the architects for the New Comiskey Park- and said "make us a modern version of this".

If they had built Camden Yards a couple of years earlier we just might have got our wish.

doublem23
05-26-2012, 02:27 PM
I think you are right, did it not branch off from the Lake St line and go south passing the Chicago Stadium and south for a few more blocks before turning to the west as you see in the photo.

No, the Garfield Park Line came west off the Loop at Van Buren and Wells, the jog you are seeing in the photo, I think, is just after exiting the Loop, the train crossed the river between Van Buren and Jackson but west of Des Plaines it turned south again and basically followed Jackson all the way to the West Side and beyond. The Garfield Line was demolished and replaced with the present day Blue Line that runs in the center of the Eisenhower.

I think what you are referring to is the present day Pink Line, formerly known as the Douglas Park Line. That line follows Lake Street out of the Loop but then turns south at Paulina, past the UC, before turning west just north of Cermak and basically following that to it's terminus in Cicero.

Here... 1954 CTA map shows what I'm talking about:

http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1954map.jpg

You can see the Dearborn Street Subway had just opened, so the Logan Square Line (now Blue Line) along Milwaukee Ave. goes all the way into the city center, but the Eisenhower hadn't been built yet, so the station at LaSalle and Congress was the southern terminus for the line. The Garfield Branch is still in service, but it would be demolished in 1958 when the Congress Expressway Line was put into service.

TomBradley72
05-26-2012, 02:34 PM
If they had built Camden Yards a couple of years earlier we just might have got our wish.

Or if Reinhorn had any vision at all- they were too busy drooling over 2 levels of luxury boxes, JR's dream of a "symetrical" ballpark and the curiously chosen blue plastic seats- plenty of people at the time proposed a "modern version" of Comiskey as well as alternative locations that would be closer to downtown/provide a view of the skyline,etc- the Sox leadership completely ignored all that potential-

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 02:39 PM
No, the Garfield Park Line came west off the Loop at Van Buren and Wells, the jog you are seeing in the photo, I think, is just after exiting the Loop, the train crossed the river between Van Buren and Jackson but west of Des Plaines it turned south again and basically followed Jackson all the way to the West Side and beyond. The Garfield Line was demolished and replaced with the present day Blue Line that runs in the center of the Eisenhower.

I think what you are referring to is the present day Pink Line, formerly known as the Douglas Park Line. That line follows Lake Street out of the Loop but then turns south at Paulina, past the UC, before turning west just north of Cermak and basically following that to it's terminus in Cicero.

Here... 1954 CTA map shows what I'm talking about:

http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/maps/1954map.jpg

You can see the Dearborn Street Subway had just opened, so the Logan Square Line (now Blue Line) along Milwaukee Ave. goes all the way into the city center, but the Eisenhower hadn't been built yet, so the station at LaSalle and Congress was the southern terminus for the line. The Garfield Branch is still in service, but it would be demolished in 1958 when the Congress Expressway Line was put into service.

I can't open the link, says its forbidden
So the line that went by the Stadium is now in use?
All those years I went to hockey games that section of track just stood there like an abandoned building.

October26
05-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Great picture, Little Nell. Thanks for sharing. By the time my family and I arrived in Chicago, Comiskey Park had already been painted white, so I never got to see it in its original color. Comiskey Park looks terrific in this photo.

doublem23
05-26-2012, 02:47 PM
I can't open the link, says its forbidden
So the line that went by the Stadium is now in use?
All those years I went to hockey games that section of track just stood there like an abandoned building.

That's weird, maybe because it's a huge image. Anyways, I got it from this site:

http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/index.html

You can look at any of the old maps, but I linked to 1954. But there's hours of stuff to look at and read there for anyone into CTA and Chicago history. One of my favorite websites.

And yeah, the Paulina Connector's back in use now. They started rebuilding it early in the 2000's because the CTA has some long-standing plans to build a "Circle Line" that would allow for transfers without having to to go all the way into the Loop, but the eventually started running trains on it again in 2006ish when they introduced the Pink Line.

LITTLE NELL
05-26-2012, 02:58 PM
That's weird, maybe because it's a huge image. Anyways, I got it from this site:

You can look at any of the old maps, but I linked to 1954. But there's hours of stuff to look at and read there for anyone into CTA and Chicago history. One of my favorite websites.

And yeah, the Paulina Connector's back in use now. They started rebuilding it early in the 2000's because the CTA has some long-standing plans to build a "Circle Line" that would allow for transfers without having to to go all the way into the Loop, but the eventually started running trains on it again in 2006ish when they introduced the Pink Line.

Thanks Doub, I could open that site and might be spending a lot of time myself looking at stuff there.

DSpivack
05-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Fascinating website, especially in comparing how the routes and system map have changed over the years. I noticed that the site doesn't have updated maps with the two new el stations, then I went to the CTA's website to compare... and noticed that those aren't updated yet, either. :tongue:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/maps/htsystemmap.aspx

soxinem1
05-26-2012, 06:26 PM
No matter how much time goes by....still miss the old lady:whiner:

Me too...:(:

russ99
05-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Or if Reinhorn had any vision at all- they were too busy drooling over 2 levels of luxury boxes, JR's dream of a "symetrical" ballpark and the curiously chosen blue plastic seats- plenty of people at the time proposed a "modern version" of Comiskey as well as alternative locations that would be closer to downtown/provide a view of the skyline,etc- the Sox leadership completely ignored all that potential-

Remember, Reinsdorf grew up as a Dodgers fan in Brooklyn. The scale, the color, the levels, the dimensions and the outfield of New Comiskey were lifted from Dodgers Stadium in LA.

I thought as you did at first too, but I can 't be too hard on Jerry for this, since he spent a lot to turn the park from what it was then, a cold sterile Dodgers stadium copy to what it is now.

I really miss Comiskey too. I spent large parts of my formative years in the 70s and 80s there. In the 70's with my dad, and the 80s wandering every nook and sitting in every seat I could - until the Andy Frains kicked me out...

WhiteSox5187
05-26-2012, 09:35 PM

I read somewhere that the original plan for New Comiskey was pretty much that, an updated version of Old Comiskey and ownership said no.

Remember, Reinsdorf grew up as a Dodgers fan in Brooklyn. The scale, the color, the levels, the dimensions and the outfield of New Comiskey were lifted from Dodgers Stadium in LA.

I thought as you did at first too, but I can 't be too hard on Jerry for this, since he spent a lot to turn the park from what it was then, a cold sterile Dodgers stadium copy to what it is now.

I really miss Comiskey too. I spent large parts of my formative years in the 70s and 80s there. In the 70's with my dad, and the 80s wandering every nook and sitting in every seat I could - until the Andy Frains kicked me out...

This is what plagued and still kind of plagues the stewardship of the White Sox under Reisendorf. Up until something like 2004-ish the White Sox just wanted nothing to do with their history and alienated a lot of their core constituency. The building of New Comiskey is a good example of this, there was no input from the fans and no attempt to incorporate much history from the old ballpark at all. Ownership pretty much said "This is the new park. We like it. You damned well better as well."

TomBradley72
05-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I read somewhere that the original plan for New Comiskey was pretty much that, an updated version of Old Comiskey and ownership said no.

This is what plagued and still kind of plagues the stewardship of the White Sox under Reisendorf. Up until something like 2004-ish the White Sox just wanted nothing to do with their history and alienated a lot of their core constituency. The building of New Comiskey is a good example of this, there was no input from the fans and no attempt to incorporate much history from the old ballpark at all. Ownership pretty much said "This is the new park. We like it. You damned well better as well."

Very well said they pretty much paved over the orginal White Sox history and culture.

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2012, 12:13 AM
BTW in your visits to Maywood did you ever take in a movie at the Lido Theatre or have a root beer at Streutzels? (not sure of the spelling)Oh, yeah, during the summers I'd spend a lot of time at my grandparents'. They lived at 1922 S. 5th. I'd walk down to the Lido a lot. Strutzel's was the best root beer I've ever had. Five cents for a mug, ten cents for the schooner, ice cold and creamy.

PeteWard
05-27-2012, 04:13 AM

Nice one. What is the field house-looking structure outside of right center?

LITTLE NELL
05-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Nice one. What is the field house-looking structure outside of right center?

IIRC it was a National Guard Armory.

LITTLE NELL
05-27-2012, 06:35 AM
Oh, yeah, during the summers I'd spend a lot of time at my grandparents'. They lived at 1922 S. 5th. I'd walk down to the Lido a lot. Strutzel's was the best root beer I've ever had. Five cents for a mug, ten cents for the schooner, ice cold and creamy.

I asked about the Lido because I saw many movies and Saturday morning cartoon shows there as my great uncle was one of the projectionists there for many years and I always got in free.

Rounding_Third
05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
In the mid-late 70's-early 80's, I occasionally labored for a small outfit that performed minor masonry repairs/replacements in the park; mostly in the offseason and sometimes during long road trips. I was heartbroken to see examples of her nearing the end of her days. There were groups who were fighting to save her but we all knew it was impossible. I would have been right there with those groups had I not known. Despite that sadness, they were the most thrilling days of my life. I couldn't wait to get to the park even in the middle of winter. I was so incredibly lucky to have that time there and cherrished every moment.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Sox 5187:

In the book, "Ballpark: The Building of Camden Yards..." the author quotes the folks at HOK architecture (the people who built both Camden Yards and Comiskey Park II) as saying that they offered the Camden Yards plans to Jerry Reinsdorf and offered to build that style for him and hesaid no.

They used his name by the way, not a representative of the club which seems to indicate that JR had the final say.

Lip

Over By There
05-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Doub, if you haven't seen this site, you might find it interesting.

http://www.cookexpressways.com/

Bucky F. Dent
05-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Anyone have the link to the old pictures of the City that was floating around "the Parking Lot" earlier this year.

fisk4ever
05-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Doub, if you haven't seen this site, you might find it interesting.

http://www.cookexpressways.com/

Love the photos ("Expressway Photos" tab). Makes me tired just contemplating that amount of work.

Brian26
08-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Oh, yeah, during the summers I'd spend a lot of time at my grandparents'. They lived at 1922 S. 5th. I'd walk down to the Lido a lot. Strutzel's was the best root beer I've ever had. Five cents for a mug, ten cents for the schooner, ice cold and creamy.

I'm bumping this thread for just a moment as I clean out some old photos on my phone. Took this shot about a month ago one morning on my way to work. Thought it was cool to see the old-time gas pumps....this is on 5th Avenue.

EdHerman12
08-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Here's a nice photo Comiskey circa 1967..Love tHE advertisement for WFLD the new UHF station..

GO WHITE SOX!

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Here's a nice photo Comiskey circa 1967..Love tHE advertisement for WFLD the new UHF station..

GO WHITE SOX!

Jim Katt pitching to Pete Ward.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 05:33 PM

GO WHITE SOX!

Here is one of my favorites, Billy the Kid on the bump with Teddy Ballgame waiting to step into the batters box. Sherm Lollar behind the plate.
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln5mzeFz7c1qfgi90o1_500.jpg

SephClone89
08-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Here is one of my favorites, Billy the Kid on the bump with Teddy Ballgame waiting to step into the batters box. Sherm Lollar behind the plate.

Yeah, this one's fantastic.

It was my Facebook cover photo for a few months.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Yeah, this one's fantastic.

It was my Facebook cover photo for a few months.

It is fantastic, something about it that I can't explain except how it represents the Golden Age of Baseball.