PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-24 DeAza Slams Up a Hot Dish, SOX 11, MIN 8 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Hey, we won a home series

TheOldRoman
05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
I was not pleased with the Sox breathing life into the corpse of Justin Morneau. Three homers for him this series. Really bad pitching for the Sox this series outside of Sale, but at least we outscored them tonight and took two of three. It's always good to beat the Twins, no matter how bad they are.

Zakath
05-24-2012, 11:28 PM
First home series outright win since Detroit in mid-April, which was the only one so far this year.

Nice to come back after Humber blew the 3-run lead. de Vries and Dunsing hung some pitches in the 6th that our boys didn't miss.

WhiteSoxOnly
05-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Always sweet to beat these guys, no matter what their record is. By the way, what place are the twins in ?

Zakath
05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Always sweet to beat these guys, no matter what their record is. By the way, what place are the twins in ?

29th. Only one team worse. Guess who?

SoxSpeed22
05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
A little discouraged when it was 5-4, but at least they beat themselves against us for a nice change.

ElevenUp
05-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Hopefully tonight was a preview of what we will be seeing from this offense as the weather heats up. Nice to be over .500.:gulp::gulp:

tstrike2000
Nice offensive outburst against a crappy team.

PeteWard
I was not pleased with the Sox breathing life into the corpse of Justin Morneau. Three homers for him this series. Really bad pitching for the Sox this series outside of Sale, but at least we outscored them tonight and took two of three. It's always good to beat the Twins, no matter how bad they are.

Lower part of bullpen looking bad. Morneau's first was a monster. I don't remember anyone hitting one that deep to center at the Cell since Thomas.

But Konerko continues to amaze this year. I have to admit I expected him to dip a bit because of age. I am happy to admit I am wrong.

Now the first big series of the year. Hope the call-up comes through tomorrow!

cheezheadsoxfan
We're over .500. :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl
05-24-2012, 11:31 PM

That asshat has made a career off of White Sox pitching. I think his home run in the eighth inning was his 21st against the Sox. That's an unbelievable statistic. Yes, Kubel and Cuddyer are gone (thank God), but Morneau is still around and wreaking havoc on our pitching. :mad:

JB98
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

As I assured everyone after Tuesday's loss, the Twins don't own the Sox anymore. We all need to get that foolishness out of our heads. We're going to win our fair share against this Minnesota team this season.

WhiteSoxOnly
29th. Only one team worse. Guess who?

Um...might it be the team with the blue "L" flag ?

ChiSoxGirl
05-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Lower part of bullpen looking bad. Morneau's first was a monster. I don't remember anyone hitting one that deep to center at the Cell since Thomas.

But Konerko continues to amaze this year. I have to admit I expected him to dip a bit because of age. I am happy to admit I am wrong.

Jim Thome's home run in the Blackout game went about 450' to center and landed in a similar spot.

Brian26
05-24-2012, 11:33 PM

Thome.

all*star quentin
05-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Last 10 Game - Sox Home Runs

Tank - 5
Paulie - 4
Donkey - 3
Bacon - 3
AJ - 2
Alex - 2
DeAwesome - 1

PeteWard
05-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Jim Thome's home run in the Blackout game went about 450' to center and landed in a similar spot.

But of course. How could I forget?

LoveYourSuit
05-24-2012, 11:37 PM

Thome hit 2 that cleared the schrubbs and into the area just below the fan deck. One of them was game 163.

vinny
05-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Um...might it be the team with the blue "L" flag ?
Actually, they're tied right now, both at 15-29. But they both suck equally hard.

tstrike2000
05-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Thome.

I don't remember who Thome's was against (I believe it was in '08), but I think it went about 460 feet.

Crooked Number
05-24-2012, 11:41 PM
It was great seeing Jose, Caballo, Frank & Maggs clobber their way to victory to compensate for the mediocre pitching. **

**2002 Sox turn back the clock night

Lip Man 1
05-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Crooked:

That's true.

But you take the win anyway you can get it.

Lip

The Immigrant
That asshat has made a career off of White Sox pitching. I think his home run in the eighth inning was his 21st against the Sox. That's an unbelievable statistic.

Paulie has something like 45 homers against Cleveland.

LoveYourSuit
It was great seeing Jose, Caballo, Frank & Maggs clobber their way to victory to compensate for the mediocre pitching. **

**2002 Sox turn back the clock night

Paulie was part of that bunch also. I think it was 2003 when they led the majors in HRs

Lip Man 1
Strike 2000:

It was off Blackburn in the black out game.

Lip

doublem23
05-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Just got home from a beautiful night at the park. 5 home runs?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2102/2051789754_f86fa7f687.jpg

The Immigrant
05-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Pitcher we had never faced before...CHECK

Division game against a crappy opponent...CHECK

Chance to win a home series for the first time since early April...CHECK

Anyone bellyaching about this game deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

doublem23
05-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Paulie was part of that bunch also. I think it was 2003 when they led the majors in HRs

2004 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2004.shtml)

Konerko hit 41, Caballo hit 31, ****.. Jose Valentin hit 30. Try to wrap your head around that.

ChiSoxGirl
05-24-2012, 11:51 PM

OK, but at least Paulie is a well-respected ballplayer whose had a pretty damn good career. He's also hit 406 home runs during that time. Similar to dudes like Lew Ford, Jacque Jones, Matt LeCroy and Bobby Kielty, Morneau would be selling insurance if it weren't for White Sox pitching.

SoxSpeed22
05-24-2012, 11:54 PM
We just had a bad approach against Morneau. Those home runs were all up and middle-in. Plenty of power hitters would turn those into home runs.
At least they made a lot of bad pitches against us and we did not miss them.

DSpivack
05-24-2012, 11:55 PM
OK, but at least Paulie is a well-respected ballplayer whose had a pretty damn good career. He's also hit 406 home runs during that time. Similar to dudes like Lew Ford, Jacque Jones, Matt LeCroy and Bobby Kielty, Morneau would be selling insurance if it weren't for White Sox pitching.

Konerko is a .284/.360/.503 career hitter. Morneau is a .280/.352/.498 career hitter. The difference is that Paulie has stayed healthy and consistent over 16 seasons, while Morneau has had an injury-prone 10-year career (most of those injuries occurring over the last 3 seasons).

ZombieRob
05-24-2012, 11:56 PM
The hitting was great to see, I really think the turning point in this game was the Rios relay throw to Beckham to A.J to gun the runner out at home. That was a huge play of the game I believe. Outfield D had been very solid this year.

tstrike2000
05-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Strike 2000:

It was off Blackburn in the black out game.

Lip

Ahh, yes. One of the greatest games I've been to.

GlassSox
05-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Ahh, yes. One of the greatest games I've been to.

I agree

The Immigrant
05-25-2012, 12:01 AM

I think I missed the year when Lew Ford was the MVP of the American League.

By the way, Morneau has just as many career HRs against Detroit and Kansas City and only two fewer against Cleveland.

tstrike2000
05-25-2012, 12:03 AM
We just had a bad approach against Morneau. Those home runs were all up and middle-in. Plenty of power hitters would turn those into home runs.
At least they made a lot of bad pitches against us and we did not miss them.

Especially the two homers Morneau hit off of Floyd and Ohman. Floyd's was a changeup left right over the heart of the plate, and Ohman's was a 88mph fastball right in Morneau's wheelhouse. Both pitches begging to be murdered.

05-25-2012, 12:04 AM
2004 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2004.shtml)

Konerko hit 41, Caballo hit 31, ****.. Jose Valentin hit 30. Try to wrap your head around that.

Imagine if Frank and Maggs weren't injured for a majority of that season.

Good lord.

Noneck
05-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Konerko is a .284/.360/.503 career hitter. Morneau is a .280/.352/.498 career hitter. The difference is that Paulie has stayed healthy and consistent over 16 seasons, while Morneau has had an injury-prone 10-year career (most of those injuries occurring over the last 3 seasons).

And Morneau had one MVP and was 2nd once also. He was a very good player and more than just a Sox killer before the injuries started.

PeteWard
05-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Don't look now but the Sox lead the AL Central in runs scored. :o:

doublem23
I think I missed the year when Lew Ford was the MVP of the American League.

By the way, Morneau has just as many career HRs against Detroit and Kansas City and only two fewer against Cleveland.

Yeah, Morneau is definitely not one of these Twins scrubs that just rakes on the Sox, he's a bona fide star whose career has just been derailed by injuries. Kind of like their Carlos Quentin, only a lot better.

JB98
Ehh ... Minnesota plays Detroit next. Morneau can stay hot this whole weekend for all I care.

Brian26
05-25-2012, 12:19 AM

Are they running express trains to Lincoln Square now or did you leave early?

doublem23
05-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Are they running express trains to Lincoln Square now or did you leave early?

Ha, no, we ended up driving down... Combination of things, Mrs. Doub has to work in the morning, I was stuck late in the office, and since I got the tickets for free from a friend I can justify the insane price of parking.

Dan Ryan to the Stevenson to Lake Shore Drive... As long as the lights downtown cooperate, I can get home from the park in about 15 minutes.

Brian26
05-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Ha, no, we ended up driving down... Combination of things, Mrs. Doub has to work in the morning, I was stuck late in the office, and since I got the tickets for free from a friend I can justify the insane price of parking.

Dan Ryan to the Stevenson to Lake Shore Drive... As long as the lights downtown cooperate, I can get home from the park in about 15 minutes.

Oh yeah, this time of the night the expressways fly. I was envisioning you on the Red to the Brown and wondering how the hell you were walking in your front door less than 30 minutes after the game. :tongue:

sullythered
05-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Don't look now but the Sox lead the AL Central in runs scored. :o:

And run differential.

chisoxfanatic
05-25-2012, 12:49 AM
I heard the boom booms from the fireworks twice while in the shower. Came back to the tv and five runs were up. Mercy! Nice to finally win a home series.

Is this season flying or what?

Foulke You
05-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Imagine if Frank and Maggs weren't injured for a majority of that season.

Good lord.

We were in first place in '04 and just added Freddy Garcia in a trade and then Frank and Maggs go down. We'll never know but they definitely could have won the division. You just don't recover from losing a 3 and 4 hitter. It would be like the 2012 Sox losing Konerko and Dunn in the span of about a week. Season ovah.

DumpJerry
05-25-2012, 12:56 AM
I was at the game. It was 1977 all over again.

A couple from Minnesota was sitting next to us. I told them they cannot have a worse record than the Cubs. I strongly suggested to them that their team make sure they have a better record at the expense of the Tigers and Indians.

TheVulture
05-25-2012, 01:07 AM

We've been expecting him to dip every year since 2006. Fortunately, male pattern baldness seems to have no effect on the ability to hit a baseball.

TheVulture
05-25-2012, 01:17 AM
That asshat has made a career off of White Sox pitching. I think his home run in the eighth inning was his 21st against the Sox. That's an unbelievable statistic. Yes, Kubel and Cuddyer are gone (thank God), but Morneau is still around and wreaking havoc on our pitching. :mad:

I hate to break up a good rant, but Morneau's PA per HR rate against the Sox is actually slightly worse than his overall rate. He's hit a homerun every 23.6 PA against the Sox compared to one every 22.8 PA overall.

The Tigers are the team that should cry when Morneau comes to town - .319/.398/.570 compared to .269/.347/.475 against our Sox.

hawkjt
05-25-2012, 01:23 AM
The Sox offense was sad two weeks ago,but the last 10 games it has gotten hot. Sox are 7-3 in those games. Unfortunately,the Tribe are 8-2 in the same stretch.

Big comeback win tonite...had to have it after the Tribe beat Verlander today.
Sox pitching is starting to leak outside of Sale and Peavy.
Quintana is on the spot tomorrow nite vs a hot lefty hitting Indian team.
Sox have got to keep mashing to win this series,as the Indians will put up runs,and have a very strong backend of their bullpen.

Sox need to take 2 of 3,and keep the Indians close at 2.5 games back.
Sox do not see the Tribe again til september.
The Tribe was 30-15 at this point last year,their high water mark,then started getting injuries and finished 80-82, going 50-67 the rest of the way....I think they will hit their rough stretches eventually also, the Sox just need to keep winning series and hanging around.

DeAza has been a revelation...best lead-off man since pods of 2005.
Love how he turns on the ball,but not too much,and still goes the other way most of the time.

Tank is in a good ''see ball,hit ball'' stretch...hitting it very hard.
Gordo is also...even his outs are hard hit lately.
Rios turns on balls two nites in a row...it is like he is slowly getting confident enough in his stroke to right that he is not as afraid to turn on a ball occassionally....keep up the middle,Alex,and let the homers be accidents.

AJ is rocking.
PK is killing it.

All good,Sox...keep it going!

TDog
05-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Frankly, I am glad the Twins are leaving town. They swept a two-game series in Detroit, took two of three in Milwaukee and hit the crap out of the deciding game in their visiting series against the White Sox. Really, if I am a Twins fan, I have to be wondering how my team lost tonight. Twice leaving the bases loaded isn't part of a winning strategy. And the idea that putting up a starting pitcher to make his major league debut against the White Sox didn't work tonight. Bert Blyleven DeVries was not.

As much trouble as Humber et.al. had against the Twins tonight, they still kept the game close. Tuesday when the Sox took a 1-0 lead, the Twins came back with four against Floyd. Tonight, Peavy limited the damage to one. The Twins could have put the Sox away in the fifth, but Jones didn't let it get worse than a one-run game.

It looked like De Aza tied it right away if you were following on GameDay, but he ended up striking out. Not to worry, though, Konerko, who put the Sox ahead in the third right after the Twins tied it, tied the game. (Really, it's impressive how many of his RBIs are big RBIs.) Rios untied it and De Aza found a better spot to hit his fourth home run.

The grand slam essentially put the game away, although Morneau would make it closer in his next two at bats. This might have been the most fun home game this year. The Sox took advantage of their opportunities, leaving only three runners on base the entire game.

The Sox have won six of their last seven. Hopefully they can keep it up with the Indians coming to town. The Indians have already seen the rookie southpaw who will be taking Danks' place. Hopefully he can shut them down again. The Indians come into Chicago hot, but so did the Twins.

MUsoxfan
05-25-2012, 02:17 AM
The White Sox will win the division. It's an unexpectedly fun team

samurai_sox
05-25-2012, 03:00 AM
I took this game in from the bleachers, my only gripe is I didn't get to see Snoop Dogg throw out the first pitch.

Zakath
05-25-2012, 07:09 AM

43, which puts them 3rd on his HR list. Does have more RBI vs. Cleveland (160) than anyone else, though.

Has his most HR vs. the Twins at 45. Detroit is next at 44.

It's admirable how he evenly distributes the pain to AL Central opponents.

TomBradley72
05-25-2012, 08:22 AM
I was at the game. It was 1977 all over again.

I was thinking the same thing- including Wil Ohman doing his Randy Wiles impression following Humber's reincarnation of Chris Knapp.

But I doubt Zisk-Orta-Essian ever pulled off the relay that Rios-Beckham-AJ delivered. :cool:

A few other random observations-

Rios isn't just improved at the plate or in RF vs. CF last year- but he seems like a completely different person- watching him in the dugout,etc.- he just seems so much more fired up/animated then I've ever seen him.
Hudson so far looks like a nice stop gap at 3rd- double the other way from left side- if Morel comes back and he becomes the super sub with Escobar goes back to AAA- its a nice upgrade. I liked his quote in the paper yesterday about playing 3rd- "a grounder is a grounder".
Ohman is becoming the "Juan Agosto" of this century- I feel a complete sense of doom when he comes in from the bullpen.
I think Dayan is shaping up as one of our best left fielders in recent memory- I think he's covering LF well and improving each month as he settles in, provides the strongest arm I can remember in LF, and is delivering power from the position we haven't seen since CLee- I'd take Dayan over Lee/Pods/Quentin/Pierre for overall tools (hit/hit for power/field/run/throw) vs. any of his recent predecessors.
Both Konerko and AJ are having tremendous, veteran seasons- I hope both get serious All Star consideration.
Heading into a Memorial Day weekend- in 2nd place playing the 1st place Indians at home- what a great surprise- before the season I would have expected the Sox to be an afterthought by now. The Peavy vs. Lowe match up tomorrow afternoon will be awesome. I hope the fans really turn out- could be a "springboard" weekend for the team and the season.

Wedema
05-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Thome hit 2 that cleared the schrubbs and into the area just below the fan deck. One of them was game 163.

There is a plaque on the wall by the stairs to the Fan Deck commemorating the Blackout game and where Thome's home run landed in that game.

chisoxfanatic
05-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Why does Ohman even have a roster spot?

Wedema
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Frankly, I am glad the Twins are leaving town. They swept a two-game series in Detroit, took two of three in Milwaukee and hit the crap out of the deciding game in their visiting series against the White Sox. Really, if I am a Twins fan, I have to be wondering how my team lost tonight. Twice leaving the bases loaded isn't part of a winning strategy. And the idea that putting up a starting pitcher to make his major league debut against the White Sox didn't work tonight. Bert Blyleven DeVries was not.

As much trouble as Humber et.al. had against the Twins tonight, they still kept the game close. Tuesday when the Sox took a 1-0 lead, the Twins came back with four against Floyd. Tonight, Peavy limited the damage to one. The Twins could have put the Sox away in the fifth, but Jones didn't let it get worse than a one-run game.

It looked like De Aza tied it right away if you were following on GameDay, but he ended up striking out. Not to worry, though, Konerko, who put the Sox ahead in the third right after the Twins tied it, tied the game. (Really, it's impressive how many of his RBIs are big RBIs.) Rios untied it and De Aza found a better spot to hit his fourth home run.

The grand slam essentially put the game away, although Morneau would make it closer in his next two at bats. This might have been the most fun home game this year. The Sox took advantage of their opportunities, leaving only three runners on base the entire game.

The Sox have won six of their last seven. Hopefully they can keep it up with the Indians coming to town. The Indians have already seen the rookie southpaw who will be taking Danks' place. Hopefully he can shut them down again. The Indians come into Chicago hot, but so did the Twins.

Instant replay worked against us as it was clearly a foul ball.

doublem23
05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Instant replay worked against us as it was clearly a foul ball.

Yep

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21725389&c_id=mlb

TheOldRoman
05-25-2012, 10:01 AM
I was thinking the same thing- including Wil Ohman doing his Randy Wiles impression following Humber's reincarnation of Chris Knapp.

But I doubt Zisk-Orta-Essian ever pulled off the relay that Rios-Beckham-AJ delivered. :cool:

A few other random observations-

Rios isn't just improved at the plate or in RF vs. CF last year- but he seems like a completely different person- watching him in the dugout,etc.- he just seems so much more fired up/animated then I've ever seen him.
Hudson so far looks like a nice stop gap at 3rd- double the other way from left side- if Morel comes back and he becomes the super sub with Escobar goes back to AAA- its a nice upgrade. I liked his quote in the paper yesterday about playing 3rd- "a grounder is a grounder".
Ohman is becoming the "Juan Agosto" of this century- I feel a complete sense of doom when he comes in from the bullpen.
I think Dayan is shaping up as one of our best left fielders in recent memory- I think he's covering LF well and improving each month as he settles in, provides the strongest arm I can remember in LF, and is delivering power from the position we haven't seen since CLee- I'd take Dayan over Lee/Pods/Quentin/Pierre for overall tools (hit/hit for power/field/run/throw) vs. any of his recent predecessors.
Both Konerko and AJ are having tremendous, veteran seasons- I hope both get serious All Star consideration.
Heading into a Memorial Day weekend- in 2nd place playing the 1st place Indians at home- what a great surprise- before the season I would have expected the Sox to be an afterthought by now. The Peavy vs. Lowe match up tomorrow afternoon will be awesome. I hope the fans really turn out- could be a "springboard" weekend for the team and the season.
I mostly agree, but remember the would-be 2008 AL MVP. Quentin carried the team on his back the entire season. Even with missing the last 24 games, he hit 36 homers and was on pace for 44. He was passed by Miguel Cabrera for the AL lead on the last day of the season. That team misses the playoffs if not for Carlos. And I still believe that had he been healthy, the Sox would have won more games in September, allowing them to clinch the division a few days earlier and set up their rotation so Vazquez was pitching in game 4 instead of game 1. I really think that with their rotation set and Carlos batting 3, that team had as good a chance as anyone to win the World Series.

But anyway, it's great to see Dayan hitting so well in the past few weeks. Hopefully Alexei can pick it up now. I am liking what I see from this team.

TomBradley72
05-25-2012, 10:09 AM
IAnd I still believe that had he been healthy, the Sox would have won more games in September, allowing them to clinch the division a few days earlier and set up their rotation so Vazquez was pitching in game 4 instead of game 1. I really think that with their rotation set and Carlos batting 3, that team had as good a chance as anyone to win the World Series.

Completely agree- losing TCQ and then having to pitch guys on short rest killed the 2008 team- for me it was similar to 2000- when we lost Eldred, then Baldwin was pitching injured, and the Milkman pulled his hamstring- if we had stayed healthy- we would have given Seattle a much tougher time in the ALCS.

TaylorStSox
05-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Didn't Borchard hit one up onto the concourse in RF once?

October26
05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
The hitting was great to see, I really think the turning point in this game was the Rios relay throw to Beckham to A.J to gun the runner out at home. That was a huge play of the game I believe. Outfield D had been very solid this year.

Good point. That was a great relay from Alex to Gordon to AJ. I loved how AJ flung himself across the plate to tag out the runner. Awesome play! :D:

Yes sir!

Kudos to:
- AJ
- Alex
- Paulie
- Alejandro (De Awesome grand slam)
- Dayan

What a great offensive showing by the Sox last night on a day when we received the news about Danks going on the DL. Also, Humber's shaky outing was a bit disappointing (better luck next time). I like how the Sox players are pulling for each other. I noticed that after Dayan hit his double in the 6th inning, Dayan was standing on 2nd base, pointing to Alexei who was at the plate and sending him encouragement. Alexei obliged by hustling to get an infield single. I thought the Sox played a solid game/series against the Twins despite their pitching challenges.

I realize the Twins are crappy (thanks, JB) but it still feels great to see the Sox beat them. :bandance:

amsteel
05-25-2012, 10:33 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2102/2051789754_f86fa7f687.jpg

I love this.

Stupid question: I assume the wind was blowing out? I'm confused because I looked it up before the game and the forecast was for 22mph South winds, which I thought meant winds out of the South, meaning in from RF. But that would conflict with all the HRs. Help please?

TomBradley72
05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
I like how the Sox players are pulling for each other. I noticed that after Dayan hit his double in the 6th inning, Dayan was standing on 2nd base, pointing to Alexei who was at the plate and sending him encouragement. Alexei obliged by hustling to get an infield single.

I agree- I give Ventura alot of credit for setting the tone and creating the atmosphere that has everyone pulling together- they seem to be laughing/smiling/really pulling for each other- I notice Viciedo and Rios talking on the bench- the whole dynamic in the dugout is a complete turnaround vs. 2009-2011.

This is a very likeable team- even when they are bouncing around at the .500 level- they still are playing the game the right way on defense- and we have very few self inflicted wounds vs. previous years.

ChiSoxGal85
05-25-2012, 10:46 AM
I missed most of this game, but since I have it on DVR, I think I'll be watching it during the day today - it's worth it. :D:

I'm still quite hopeful for this season.

I realize the Twins are crappy (thanks, JB) but it still feels great to see the Sox beat them. :bandance:
+10,000!!
I love this.

Stupid question: I assume the wind was blowing out? I'm confused because I looked it up before the game and the forecast was for 22mph South winds, which I thought meant winds out of the South, meaning in from RF. But that would conflict with all the HRs. Help please?
I can attest that the strong winds out here were more from the Southwest-to-West, as I was out in an open field watching my son and his team wrestle with the wind playing Ultimate Frisbee...what an adventure!

DonnieDarko
05-25-2012, 10:49 AM

That it was. I was sitting directly behind homeplate from the 3rd inning on, and it was the biggest blast I've had at the ballpark in a long, long time. The ball was simply jumping off of players' bats last night, and it showed in the boxscore. I love that everyone on the Sox got at least one hit, too. I was at the Red Line L stop when Ramirez hit his home run sadly.

I also have to say that I love what I've seen out of Hudson last night. I don't remember him fielding many balls (can't even remember if any were hit his way before the 7th), but every time he hit the ball he made straight-up solid contact. In his first at-bat, I could very clearly hear the ball get hit hard. Made a wonderful sound. Probably louder than any HR hit that night, even. Is it the bat that he's using, maybe? Whatever it is, I hope it continues.

TheOldRoman
05-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I love this.

Stupid question: I assume the wind was blowing out? I'm confused because I looked it up before the game and the forecast was for 22mph South winds, which I thought meant winds out of the South, meaning in from RF. But that would conflict with all the HRs. Help please?Maybe the wind changed pattern midgame. Konerko and Morneau each had very hard hit balls which the wind knocked down in play. Then again, AJ's homer was wind aided.

DonnieDarko
05-25-2012, 11:09 AM
From watching the flags all night, I could see that the wind was blowing out about half the time, mostly to RF/Center. Judging from a few fly balls that were caught, it looked like the wind was swirling, too. De Aza almost missed one or two, if I remember correctly.

chisoxfanatic
05-25-2012, 11:14 AM
I agree- I give Ventura alot of credit for setting the tone and creating the atmosphere that has everyone pulling together- they seem to be laughing/smiling/really pulling for each other- I notice Viciedo and Rios talking on the bench- the whole dynamic in the dugout is a complete turnaround vs. 2009-2011.

This is a very likeable team- even when they are bouncing around at the .500 level- they still are playing the game the right way on defense- and we have very few self inflicted wounds vs. previous years.
I thought this team was going to be "boring bad" pre-season. But, it's so the opposite. We are hitting home runs, and the defense is decent. We just need to get the pitching a little better, and this can be a won division!

Cubs fans are jealous.

slavko
05-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Why does Ohman even have a roster spot? $$$.

Didn't Borchard hit one up onto the concourse in RF once? True.

DumpJerry
05-25-2012, 11:27 AM
From watching the flags all night, I could see that the wind was blowing out about half the time, mostly to RF/Center. Judging from a few fly balls that were caught, it looked like the wind was swirling, too. De Aza almost missed one or two, if I remember correctly.
The flags are not an indicator of which way the wind is blowing. The wind swirls inside Comiskey and oftentimes you'll see the flags high above the RF corner blowing in, while the wind at field level is blowing out.

DonnieDarko
05-25-2012, 11:37 AM
The flags are not an indicator of which way the wind is blowing. The wind swirls inside Comiskey and oftentimes you'll see the flags high above the RF corner blowing in, while the wind at field level is blowing out.

I always wondered. Why is that? Is it because of the...grates, I guess, that are back against the top nosebleed 500-level seats?

hawkjt
05-25-2012, 11:39 AM
As we come to Memorial Day, we are learning some things about the teams in the AL Central :

- Twins still are dangerous with the bats,if the M & M boys start bashing, as they did this week,but their pitching is in complete shambles right now,with at least 4-5 starters down and a bullpen that is day to day.
They had won 5 of 6 coming into Weds. game,so they are doing something right the last week...and they could do damage to the contenders the rest of the way.

- KC is still KC. Full of young hitters and some starting pitching that is capable of taking a series vs the Sox,then beat the rangers and Yankees...but subject to erratic play also...definitely a team that the Sox do not want to play at the wrong time...when they are in a groove.
Paulino is a stud starter and Cy Chen beats a lot of teams,not just the Sox.

- Tigers are sleepy right now. Let them sleep as long as possible because they have to wake up at some point....probably soon. On paper,easily the best team,but Austin Jackson,probably having the best season of anyone,just went on the DL with a ab strain.

- Tribe is the same red-hot team out of the box as last year..30-15 start last year,then 50-67 the rest of the way...mainly due to injuries.
If they stay healthy,they look very solid all the way thru that lineup,and pitching. Pronk is back to very dangerous. Kipnis is their Kinsler. Choo is on fire as the leadoff hitter the last 10 games. They have a very balanced productive lineup. It is all about their pitching,and Lowe has transformed their rotation. Can he maintain it? Perez is a lites out closer. Vinny is a very,very good setup man. Their bullpen is 3 men deep basically...so that could be their vulnerability.

- Sox are the Sox. As usual,slow start offensively,sans PK,DeAza,Dunn,and AJ...but good pitching early. Now, offense heating up,but pitching starting to leak oil. Is it just the nature of playing ball in Soxpark? Same pattern every year. Good pitching in cold weather,bad hitting. Then June comes,hitting comes alive,but pitching starts to struggle.

This could shape up to be an interesting summer,if the Tribe slump at all.
I see a 3 team dogfight unless the Tigers get red-hot.
Too early to really know,but I would love to be in contention in Sept...pennant races rock!!

amsteel
05-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Didn't Dan Pasqua hit one up there too?

chisoxfanatic
05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
He did. It earned him the nickname of LTP here (Light Tower Power).

Jerko
05-25-2012, 12:51 PM

I was standing in RF that day. That ball bounced right over my head. I was figuring he would strike out so I was busy cheesing up a nacho, I hear "CRACK" and the ball was behind me. Some little kid got it after it hit the back wall.

TaylorStSox
05-25-2012, 01:59 PM

He earned that nickname long before then. He got it by launching bombs into the lights from both sides of the plate in college. Oh Joe Borchard, you single handily made me hate prospects.