PDA

View Full Version : Quintana called up, Danks not starting Firday.

eriqjaffe
05-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Per Scott Merkin.

http://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/205768945574219776

Let the speculation begin.

I guess Danks will be the new closer.

sox1970
05-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Danks has "shoulder strain"

eriqjaffe
05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Danks is going on the DL, according to this (http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/5/24/3041806/john-danks-will-miss-start-on-friday-jose-quintana-to-fill-in).

I think he hurt his shoulder carrying those huge sacks of money to the bank.

Seriously, Danks has looked off all year, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a physical reason behind it. Hopefully a couple weeks off will get him back on track.

Harry Potter
05-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Guess we know why he was lifted after only 83 pitches on Saturday night.

#1swisher
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Mark Gonzales

Danks believes he'll return on June 4, said he felt soreness in area he never felt discomfort before (behind left shoulder)

RV also didn't believe danks would need rehab assignment

Danks had MRI this morning, said he was prepared to pitch Friday. "Sub-scap" is the word I've been hearing."

Foulke You
05-24-2012, 05:51 PM
This would certainly explain the drop in velocity and erratic performances from Danks. Hopefully, he gets shelved and comes back as the real John Danks when he comes off the DL.

doublem23
05-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I've been assured on these boards that Danks was just a mental midget who couldn't handle the pressure of being an ace and signing a big contract. Doctors, what do they know?

kittle42
05-24-2012, 06:27 PM
I've been assured on these boards that Danks was just a mental midget who couldn't handle the pressure of being an ace and signing a big contract. Doctors, what do they know?

Thank you for calling out those people.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2012, 06:47 PM
As Kenny told Comcast Sports Chicago's Pat Boyle this morning the Sox will always be cautious when dealing with young pitchers whom Kenny called, "gold."

That being said it's a shame this happened with a big Cleveland series coming up.

Lip

amsteel
05-24-2012, 06:55 PM

The MRI did show alarmingly low levels of grit.

SBSoxFan
05-24-2012, 11:22 PM

Thank you for calling out those people.

Did he say when he felt the soreness? He could be both --- a mental midget and injury prone.

SI1020
05-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Did he say when he felt the soreness? He could be both --- a mental midget and injury prone. Or he could be a pitcher who showed great promise in 08 and hasn't lived up to it since then. As for the injury, I'm not surprised the way he has struggled and lost some zip. Of course I hope he gets better soon.

doublem23
05-25-2012, 12:10 AM
The MRI did show alarmingly low levels of grit.

Hopefully the Sodfather has some dirt he can rub on it!

The Immigrant
05-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Maybe Cooper will now push to move him to the bullpen. :wink:

#1swisher
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Chuck Garfien

John Danks just threw a bullpen session. Went well, but believes he
might throw a rehab start before coming back.

3 Jun

DonnieDarko
06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Chuck Garfien

3 Jun

Am I wrong in thinking this a good thing, if only because I'm severely underconfident in Danks' ability to perform, and thus I'd rather see Quintana on the mound than him, at least in the near term?

DSpivack
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Chuck Garfien

3 Jun

I thought I remember reading on twitter yesterday from one of the beat guys, or maybe Garfein, that Danks will likely make a rehab start later this week before returning to the rotation.

KMcMahon817
06-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Am I wrong in thinking this a good thing, if only because I'm severely underconfident in Danks' ability to perform, and thus I'd rather see Quintana on the mound than him, at least in the near term?

I would obviously like to see Quintana one more time as well before he goes back to the minors. I think he deserves another chance after getting a raw deal on Wednesday.

I also think there is a chance the SOX make a roster prior to Wednesday that involves Quintana. He pitched 2/3 of an inning on Saturday and was up in the pen yesterday in 8th. I don't think that should stop him from making his scheduled start on Wednesday if Danks indeed does need a rehab start. But, I wouldn't be shocked if they optioned him back to AA and gave someone else, most likely Axelrod, the start. I guess we'll see...but I hope the start goes to Quintana if not Danks.

gobears1987
06-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Quintana at the very least deserves another start. As for Danks, a rehab start is good. Let him go out there and throw without a damn for the outcome of the game just so we are certain he's ready to return.