PDA

View Full Version : Dunn in HR Derby? - Discuss

roylestillman
05-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Not that I thought this would ever be an issue a year ago, but given that Adam Dunn is number 2 in home runs in the AL right now, would you like to see him represent the Sox in the All Star Game Home Run Derby? Anybody know how that is decided and whether players or teams can refuse?

To be honest, I think this contest has run it's course and seems to throw off players' timing for weeks after. My thought is at this point in his career, Dunn has nothing to proove.

FielderJones
05-24-2012, 11:54 AM
My preference is that no White Sox slugger ever participate in Home Run Derby again.

DSpivack
05-24-2012, 11:58 AM
My preference is that no White Sox slugger ever participate in Home Run Derby again.

I agree.

Steelrod
05-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Leave him alone. It's all good now and he's a cinch for comeback player of the year!

hawkjt
05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Leave him alone. It's all good now and he's a cinch for comeback player of the year!

Agree....leave well enough alone...decline if asked,please Adam.

SephClone89
05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
The Home Run Derby is seriously awful. No idea how I enjoyed it so much when I was a kid.

DumpJerry
05-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Jake Peavy would like a word with you.

I don't like my team's players in the Home Run Derby or the All-Star Game. The Derby messes us the hitter for months afterwards and the ASG is a season-ending injury waiting to happen, even though Pete Rose is no longer in it.

doublem23
05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
I really wouldn't mind if he did. Sox aren't going anywhere this year and it would be good PR for them if he had a nice showing.

Foulke You
05-24-2012, 12:30 PM
While it would be cool to have a Sox player to root for in the derby, my hope is that Dunn doesn't enter the contest. I just don't want anything to happen to the big man that might mess up his swing. I won't fault the guy for playing in it if he gets asked though. I'm sure the players get lots of pressure from MLB, the MLBPA, and even their agents to compete in these things. Also, not every player goes into a funk after the Derby. Jermaine Dye competed in the event in 2006 and had a monster second half that year (.313 avg, 19HRs, 52RBI). I know the "post derby" funk has happened before to some players but sometimes I wonder if it is overblown.

I used to like the HR Derby when I was younger but my biggest complaint about the event now is the fact that ESPN turns what should be a 90 min event into a 3+ hour show. The derby now has something like 2 hours of commercials and 1 hour of actual HR hitting. Also, Chris Berman usually saves his most obnoxious behavior for the derby and makes it almost unwatchable.

peelwonder
05-24-2012, 12:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken don't you have to be selected to the All Star team in order to compete in the derby?

If so I can't see him making the all star team.

doublem23
05-24-2012, 12:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken don't you have to be selected to the All Star team in order to compete in the derby?

If so I can't see him making the all star team.

I don't see why he couldn't, the game's in Kansas City so there's a DH and as of today, Dunn's AL ranks are 2nd in HR, 4th in RBI, 5th in XBH, 2nd in AB/HR, 10th in OBP, 5th in SLG, and 5th in OPS.

Tragg
05-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Agree

SephClone89
05-24-2012, 01:10 PM

I don't think so. But I could be confusing it with the slam dunk contest.

chisoxfanatic
05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't see why he couldn't, the game's in Kansas City so there's a DH and as of today, Dunn's AL ranks are 2nd in HR, 4th in RBI, 5th in XBH, 2nd in AB/HR, 10th in OBP, 5th in SLG, and 5th in OPS.
I don't see the Sox having 3 representatives, and I'd see Konerko and Peavy both being selected.

thomas35forever
05-24-2012, 01:12 PM
I was just thinking about this recently and I'd like to see it. It'd be the ultimate proof to the world that the man is back.

Procol Harum
05-24-2012, 01:22 PM
No, no, no, no. He's worked hard to get his stroke back to normal I don't want to chance gumming it up because of the theatrics of the HR Derby.

TheVulture
05-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Also, not every player goes into a funk after the Derby. Jermaine Dye competed in the event in 2006 and had a monster second half that year (.313 avg, 19HRs, 52RBI). I know the "post derby" funk has happened before to some players but sometimes I wonder if it is overblown.

Good point, but I think its fair to say Dunn walks a fine line mentally. I wouldn't want to risk anything disrupting him, it could be a train wreck. To be honest, I hope he doesn't even read this post.

LITTLE NELL
05-24-2012, 01:43 PM
No, don't upset the apple cart.

Madvora
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
This topic is always blown out of proportion. I don't believe a hitter is ruined by hitting a couple homeruns for about 20-30 minutes on one day. Big deal.
I also don't give a crap about seeing guys with backward hats giggling and hugging each other.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
No thank you. His swing doesn't need to be screwed up trying to put on a show.

Lip

samurai_sox
05-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I still enjoy the Home Run Derby, Josh Hamilton's performance in Yankee Stadium was amazing.

As someone posted earlier, the Sox are not going anywhere this year, so I would not mind if Dunn participated, I don't buy that doing that will screw up his swing.

Steelrod
05-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Jake Peavy would like a word with you.

I don't like my team's players in the Home Run Derby or the All-Star Game. The Derby messes us the hitter for months afterwards and the ASG is a season-ending injury waiting to happen, even though Pete Rose is no longer in it.
Spoke to Jake and he agrees. Told him he'll be in the top 5 for Cy Young! Made him happy.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Samurai:

At this point its an open question as to if the Sox "are going anywhere this year" don't you think.

If they are 3 1/2 out at the All Star Break I certainly don't want Dunn being possibly screwed up do you?

Now if they are nine out that's a different story.

Lip

Frontman
05-24-2012, 10:17 PM
No, I don't. If there isn't anyone from the Sox in the HR derby, I then don't feel compelled to suffer through the "back, back, back.....gone" of Chris Berman's diarreha of the mouth.

TheVulture
05-25-2012, 12:39 AM
This topic is always blown out of proportion. I don't believe a hitter is ruined by hitting a couple homeruns for about 20-30 minutes on one day. Big deal.

I would tend to agree, but if there was an effect it would surely be mental which is why I wouldn't want Dunn anywhere near it.