PDA

View Full Version : More Cubs Love

Golden Sox
05-24-2012, 11:36 AM
I realize that this is a different era but PK's numbers are better than Ron Santo. If the Pizza Man got into the HOF, I see no reason why PK can't be voted into the HOF.

sox1970
05-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I realize that this is a different era but PK's numbers are better than Ron Santo. If the Pizza Man got into the HOF, I see no reason why PK can't be voted into the HOF.

Seriously stale bit.

Ron Santo is one of the top 10 3B of all time. He got in late because 20-year careers used to be more valued. His peak value from 1961-1971 at a premium position in the dead ball era makes him a clear Hall of Famer. But whatever...

Paul has an outside shot if he hangs around the rest of his 30's and stays healthy.

doublem23
05-24-2012, 11:48 AM

:rolleyes:

Keep the Cubs **** in the right forum.

kittle42
05-24-2012, 12:05 PM

Shouldn't you be suiting up to go punch out Jeff Samardzija?

Domeshot17
05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Apples to Oranges. I don't believe Santo was a HOF personally, but he was higher on the all time 3b list than PK was on the all time 1b list.

Boondock Saint
05-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Every position has a different set of standards for what is considered HOF-worthy, and the standards for 3B are lower than for 1B. Despite his good power numbers, he's only finished top 5 in MVP voting once, and he's never finished top five in batting average or RBI. He also has no gold gloves. I would love for Paulie to be in the HOF some day, but I don't see it happening.

Domeshot17
05-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Every position has a different set of standards for what is considered HOF-worthy, and the standards for 3B are lower than for 1B. Despite his good power numbers, he's only finished top 5 in MVP voting once, and he's never finished top five in batting average or RBI. He also has no gold gloves. I would love for Paulie to be in the HOF some day, but I don't see it happening.

He basically has to get to 500. If he does, He is in, if he does not, he is Fred McGriff.

SephClone89
05-24-2012, 01:33 PM

I swear, half your posts are about Ron Santo. Give it a rest, man.

kittle42
05-24-2012, 01:43 PM
I swear, half your posts are about Ron Santo. Give it a rest, man.

Hey, it's tough to harbor that kind of a grudge for 50 years, I imagine!

Chez
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey, it's tough to harbor that kind of a grudge for 50 years, I imagine!

Hard to get past 1974.

Foulke You
05-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Seriously stale bit.

Ron Santo is one of the top 10 3B of all time. He got in late because 20-year careers used to be more valued. His peak value from 1961-1971 at a premium position in the dead ball era makes him a clear Hall of Famer. But whatever...

Paul has an outside shot if he hangs around the rest of his 30's and stays healthy.
Not to be nitpicky, but the dead ball era was from around the turn of the century to about the early 1920s. The 1960s were definitely a pitching oriented era though.

FielderJones
05-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Not to be nitpicky, but the dead ball era was from around the turn of the century to about the early 1920s. The 1960s were definitely a pitching oriented era though.

I think the elimination of the spitball in 1920 marks the end of the dead ball era. The five inch lowering of the pitcher's mound in 1969 marks the end of the pitching-dominated 1960s era.

TheVulture
05-25-2012, 02:08 AM
He basically has to get to 500. If he does, He is in, if he does not, he is Fred McGriff.

The Crime Dog and Frank Thomas, aside from hitting a ton of homeruns over their careers, have one thing in common. Both players had more top 10 MVP seasons than all star appearances. McGriff made the top 10 list six times to only four all star appearances.

TheVulture
05-25-2012, 02:25 AM

You'd have a better argument and a more apt comparison with Tony Perez. If Fred McGriff were anything like Ron Santo with his thirst for the HOF, he'd probably be crying himself to sleep every night thinking about Tony Perez.