PDA

View Full Version : How good is Paul Konerko?

doublem23
05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
This is getting to be nuts.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/5/24/3040328/paul-konerko-professional-animal-hitting-machine

shingo10
05-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Whatever this year turns out to be, I hope people are appreciating just how good Konerko is and has been the past 3 seasons. He is a legitimate MVP and the consistency he has shown is remarkable.

He makes it look easy.

Madvora
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Leading the AL in average right now.

Harry Potter
05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Yet it wouldn't surprise me if we end up having to vote PK in to the ASG via the Final Vote :angry:

Hitmen77
05-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Konerko has really gotten better over time. Remember how inconsistent he was maybe 7 or 8 years ago? Some good hitters seem to be finished at age 31, but that was only the beginning for Pauly.

2 more HRs before his 400th as a White Sox, right?

tstrike2000
05-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Since he's been hitting to all fields consistantly, he's been great. If hitting is contagious, it's been working on guys like Dunn, Beckham, and Viciedo. Hopefully, it spreads to some other guys.

beasly213
05-24-2012, 12:43 PM
In the past few years Paulie has taken over as my favorite player in White Sox history.

hawkjt
05-24-2012, 12:48 PM
PK is in the middle of a stretch where the ball must look like a grapefruit coming up to the plate. He is hitting .321 for the season with an 0-2 count? Crazy.

This supports my theory that Smarmy of the Cubs knew that PK was all over every pitch he was throwing,and even at a 2-2 count,he knew how ''hitterish'' PK's body language was at the plate,so Smarmy intentionally tried to move him off the plate, with an inside pitch...that got away and came in high and tight to hit PK in the face. This whole outrage from Dave Kaplan that there was no way that Smarmy would even go inside on that 2-2 count is ridiculous. Like Hawk always says, the pitcher can see a lot about a hitter's weaknesses just by watching him swing...and Smarmy could see that PK had no holes from his swings that day...so he moved him back. Rant over.

PK's on base % of .464 is 35 points higher than #2 Hamilton....it does make you really appreciate the Big Hurt maintaining an on base % of around .440 many seasons,and a career number of .405...back to back 1st basemen like the Hurt and then PK...Sox fans have been lucky!!

doublem23
05-24-2012, 12:54 PM

Yes

LITTLE NELL
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
In the past few years Paulie has taken over as my favorite player in White Sox history.

He has been #2 in my book since 2005. Nellie will always be #1 with me but if PK keeps it up maybe Nellie will be 1-A and PK 1-B.
PK is like fine wine, gets better with age.
One other thing, JR must keep him in a Sox uniform until he retires. The next day #14 should go up on the left field wall with a statue not too much later.

DumpJerry
05-24-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpaS2v-r7cE

fram40
05-24-2012, 01:07 PM
He has been #2 in my book since 2005. Nellie will always be #1 with me but if PK keeps it up maybe Nellie will be 1A and PK 1B.
One other thing, JR must keep him in a Sox uniform until he retires. The next day #14 should go up on the left field wall with a statue not too much later.

I have to agree with Beasley - PK has become #1 - he has surpassed Frank.

I am not quite old enough to remember Nellie. But I agree with the rest of Nell's post. Perhaps the Sox have another WS run in them - this year? - and PK has another monster post-season to earn some HOF credentials.

beasly213
05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
He has been #2 in my book since 2005. Nellie will always be #1 with me but if PK keeps it up maybe Nellie will be 1-A and PK 1-B.

If he gets a statue it has to be his follow through swing after the grand slam in the World Series

JB98
05-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Yet it wouldn't surprise me if we end up having to vote PK in to the ASG via the Final Vote :angry:

Yeah, Teixeira will probably be elected to start even though he's having a terrible year.

There's not much question Konerko is one of the most underrated players in the American League. I don't think he's underrated by his peers, but he's rarely mentioned as being among the top hitters in the league by the press. He has earned more credit than he gets.

chisoxfanatic
05-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Whatever this year turns out to be, I hope people are appreciating just how good Konerko is and has been the past 3 seasons. He is a legitimate MVP and the consistency he has shown is remarkable.

He makes it look easy.
Chicago White Sox baseball: Appreciate Paul Konerko
He's almost there for me as well, although Robin Ventura still holds the edge.

thomas35forever
05-24-2012, 02:11 PM
We're officially at the point I think where just about everyone realizes that when they watch him play, they're watching a White Sox legend. Yeah, his legacy was sealed in '05, but he's continued to impress in the time since. Embrace him for all he's worth, Sox fans. He's destined to be up there in team history with Frank, Carlton, Luis and Minnie.

Foulke You
05-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I think the biggest change in Paulie's approach the last few years has been his willingness to always take what the pitcher gives him and spray the ball to all fields. This turned Konerko from a good hitter into a great hitter. I think earlier in his career, he would get a little too "pull happy" sometimes which would cause him to roll over on pitches on the outer half. Recent vintage Konerko deposits those outside pitches into RF for base hits and doubles now.

Also, throughout his career Konerko is one of the best pure fastball hitters I've ever seen. It always amuses me when younger inexperienced pitchers with good heaters think they can sneak a fastball past Paulie. They learn pretty quickly that it doesn't work. For example:

http://cdn1.therepublic.com/smedia/11c9b521662f4d97b3c7ba9e64086cf2/thumb_120518035510.jpg

WLL1855
05-24-2012, 06:40 PM
If you asked the following question to the average person, 'Paul Konerko' would be the answer: "Who's the best baseball player you've never heard of?"

Some of the details of this story might be fuzzy so bear with me.

I was watching Sportscenter in early May with a buddy and they had George Will on the program and were asking him a few questions. I recall one of the interviewers asking who he thought was the best first baseman in the AL (the interviewer casually baited Will with Mark Teixeira and Adrian Gonzalez - he was having none of that) to which he responded "Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox". I was a bit shocked and made a comment "Some producer just got fired for not getting the guest to give the 'right' answer."

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2012, 08:01 PM
If you asked the following question to the average person, 'Paul Konerko' would be the answer: "Who's the best baseball player you've never heard of?"

Some of the details of this story might be fuzzy so bear with me.

I was watching Sportscenter in early May with a buddy and they had George Will on the program and were asking him a few questions. I recall one of the interviewers asking who he thought was the best first baseman in the AL (the interviewer casually baited Will with Mark Teixeira and Adrian Gonzalez - he was having none of that) to which he responded "Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox". I was a bit shocked and made a comment "Some producer just got fired for not getting the guest to give the 'right' answer."

That's a compliment coming from a Cub fan like George Will.

LongLiveFisk
05-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah, Teixeira will probably be elected to start even though he's having a terrible year.

There's not much question Konerko is one of the most underrated players in the American League. I don't think he's underrated by his peers, but he's rarely mentioned as being among the top hitters in the league by the press. He has earned more credit than he gets.

If he played in New York or Boston, he'd have a statue by now.

TDog
05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
I have to agree with Beasley - PK has become #1 - he has surpassed Frank. ...

Konerko has a chance to pass up Thomas as the White Sox all-time home run leader. He isn't going to end up a career .300 hitter and he won't catch Thomas in extra-base hits. But while Thomas established himself early as a star and went into sharp decline in his early 30s, never hitting .300 after he turned 32, quite incredibly Konerko at 34 was as good a hitter as he ever was, and he's a better hitter still at 36. That is more incredible when you consider that baseball people early in Konerko's career believed that he wouldn't be able to play much past 30 because of his bad hip, which we haven't heard about much lately.

Konerko has been unappreciated by White Sox fans for years. Fans have been posting for years about how he has been below average for his position, after 2010 about how he would fall back to his career norms. But during his career, he has worked to make himself a better hitter.

His current batting average is more impressive when you consider his lack of speed. It isn't just that Konerko doesn't beat out infield hits. Teams can position their defenses without regard to the possibility of infield hits, closing up holes than are open for some faster hitters. What he is doing in the first two months of 2012 is truly amazing.

MeteorsSox4367
05-24-2012, 09:59 PM
If he played in New York or Boston, he'd have a statue by now.

Yep. My thoughts exactly. All the man does is put up solid numbers consistently.

Sox fans know how damn good he is, but if Konerko were playing in Boston or for the Yankees, SportsCenter would feature him every time he hit a line drive.

Crooked Number
05-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Pauly with another gem of a game tonight. Just missed one early, but got it later anyway. Hawk's latest: "well, Pauly learned how to use his legs. You do that, and you will do well".

A living legend indeed, and inching closer to the Big Hurt for my fav Sox player of all time. I am tempted to post the Bonerko Girls pic again :D:

Frontman
05-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Frank Thomas is still the best ever to wear a Sox uniform; but I wouldn't begrudge someone making a case for Konerko. The man is all class, and is what a ball player, and a leader, is supposed to be.

It's still Frank, though. Unless Paul plays long enough to surpass Frank's numbers, which is possible, just a bit unlikely.

doublem23
05-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Frank Thomas is still the best ever to wear a Sox uniform; but I wouldn't begrudge someone making a case for Konerko. The man is all class, and is what a ball player, and a leader, is supposed to be.

It's still Frank, though. Unless Paul plays long enough to surpass Frank's numbers, which is possible, just a bit unlikely.

Thomas and Konerko are very interesting opposites. The only thing they have in common, really, is that they were both extremely highly regarded prospects, but Frank burst on to the scene in the early 90s and established himself as a superstar from the get go. For a lot of us who came of age in the early to mid 90s, Frank was White Sox baseball for a long time. But unfortunately, his body ended up betraying him and his brilliance burned out too quickly.

Paulie didn't really ever live up to the hype for a long time. He had some good seasons, but at best, he was an average offensive 1B for most of his career. But so far, from 2010 on, his OPS+ is 157 in his season ages 34-36. That is ridiculous. Guys don't put up OPS+ of 150 at that age. You're not just talking Hall of Famers, you're talking inner circle HOFs like Hank Aaron, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays type stuff. ****, he's beating Gehrig (151) and Mays (154). This is borderline uncharted waters in baseball history. It's amazing.

MetroPD
05-25-2012, 05:03 AM

It's still Frank, though. Unless Paul plays long enough to surpass Frank's numbers, which is possible, just a bit unlikely.I have to agree in that talent wise, the Big Hurt is unsurpassed. His talent level was far beyond anything we've seen prior to or after. With that being said, I have to agree with Konerko as being as fine of a ballplayer as any team could realistically ask for. Konerko is indeed a current White Sox legend and a fine all time ball player.

Zakath
05-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Konerko has really gotten better over time. Remember how inconsistent he was maybe 7 or 8 years ago? Some good hitters seem to be finished at age 31, but that was only the beginning for Pauly.

One now.

Also now has a 5-point lead in average over Hamilton, and only one other 1B in the majors is within 70 points of him in average (LaHair).

Carneyman14
05-25-2012, 10:24 AM
If he gets a statue it has to be his follow through swing after the grand slam in the World Series

Nah, running down the 1st base line with his hands in the air. Everytime I think of 2005, that moment flashes up in my head.:bandance:

WisSoxFan
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Nothing to add about Konerko, but I also liked the "Bonus Fun Fact" about Dunn with his 7 hits versus lefties (7 for 28 and 3 HRs) this year vs. last year's 6-94 and 0 numbers.

DonnieDarko
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Nah, running down the 1st base line with his hands in the air. Everytime I think of 2005, that moment flashes up in my head.:bandance:

This. That fist bump is what his statue should be, IMHO. :)

beasly213
05-25-2012, 11:07 AM
This. That fist bump is what his statue should be, IMHO. :)

How about a sequence statue? All 3 poses.

DonnieDarko
05-25-2012, 11:08 AM
How about a sequence statue? All 3 poses.

I like your style, sir. Agreed!

Harry Chappas
05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
PK is easily my favorite Sox player. He earned that place in '05 and has only solidified it since then. I'm 42 and have followed the team closely for as long as I can remember. While I appreciate the skill of Frank Thomas, his off-the-field stuff sort of soured me. I know that shouldn't matter, but it's hard not to take it into consideration when picking an all-time favorite. Konerko, on the other hand, has always struck me as a down-to-earth guy not unlike Ventura or Crede.

It'll be a sad day when he hangs up the spikes.

Hitmen77
05-25-2012, 10:30 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0526-bits-white-sox-indians-chicago--20120526,0,2817323.story

spongyfungy
05-25-2012, 10:56 PM
PK is underpaid relatively speaking

2012 1B salary

1 Mark Teixeira New York Yankees $ 23,125,000
2 Prince Fielder Detroit Tigers $ 23,000,000
3 Adrian Gonzalez Boston Red Sox $ 21,857,142
4 Miguel Cabrera Detroit Tigers $ 21,000,000
5 Ryan Howard Philadelphia Phillies $ 20,000,000
6 Justin Morneau Minnesota Twins $ 15,000,000
7 Paul Konerko Chicago White Sox $ 12,000,000

Pujols makes 12 million but his escalates quickly. Joey Votto has a huge deal too.

Carneyman14
05-25-2012, 11:15 PM
7399 best I could do from youtube haha

Zakath
05-26-2012, 10:36 PM
63 hits now in 47 games for the club (44 for Paulie). Unbelievable.

FielderJones
05-26-2012, 10:41 PM
The Soxogram may have to be slightly modified tomorrow, with the addition of a period in front of the number.

What an incredible season for the captain!

DumpJerry
05-26-2012, 10:45 PM
When I was at one of the Twins games this week, I started doing a Konerko tribute based on the "Most interesting man in the world" ads. This was obviously tongue in cheek. I called it "The slowest man in the world." (you have to admit that speed is not an asset of his)

"I don't always run, but when I do, it takes a while."
"I had a pet turtle once. It escaped and I could not catch it."
"Stay slow, my friends."

Foulke You
05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
When I was at one of the Twins games this week, I started doing a Konerko tribute based on the "Most interesting man in the world" ads. This was obviously tongue in cheek. I called it "The slowest man in the world." (you have to admit that speed is not an asset of his)

"I don't always run, but when I do, it takes a while."
"I had a pet turtle once. It escaped and I could not catch it."
"Stay slow, my friends."

Dan Bernstein of the Score suggested that the music from Dig Dug should play when Paulie is running the bases. :tongue: Paulie is easily the slowest Sox player in my lifetime. The funny thing is that he is in great physical shape and gives max effort on the bases. He is just really slow.

Zisk77
05-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Dan Bernstein of the Score suggested that the music from Dig Dug should play when Paulie is running the bases. :tongue: Paulie is easily the slowest Sox player in my lifetime. The funny thing is that he is in great physical shape and gives max effort on the bases. He is just really slow.

Not mine...Greg Luzinski...Marc Hill...Mike Lavaillere

samurai_sox
05-26-2012, 11:59 PM
This is the definitive Paulie pose IMO.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/160/629/55990099.jpg.25933_display_image.jpg?1266598440

cheezheadsoxfan
05-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Sherm Lollar belongs on the slow list.

BigKlu59
05-27-2012, 12:49 AM
The guy has done everything else in the Pale Hose... Maybe he's purposely trying to hit for average just to see if he can flirt with .400. He knows he can go long, but with this line up, he doesnt have the albatross of being the only guy to go long to carry the team. If the situation deems spraying the ball to keep an inning alive, he's more than happy to oblige. The ball must look like a beach ball coming in fron 60'-6" right now..

Whatever he's doing I'm loving the **** out of it..:gulp:

BK59

michned
05-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Sherm Lollar belongs on the slow list.

Gotta put Ed Herrmann on that list, too!

WLL1855
05-27-2012, 01:12 AM

Good lord I had forgotten how horribly slow Spanky was.

FoulTerritory
05-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Paul Konerko is an absolute animal.

Who woulda thought that of the three sluggers that Schueler grew (Carlos Lee, Mags Ordonez, and Paul Konerko) that Paulie would be the one to have a chance at the HOF.

I think 10 years ago most people, including me, thought that the other two had higher upside, but Pauly's dedication to the art of hitting over the course of 14 years has paid off.

Hawk said he ages like a Bordeaux, but there has to be a better wine to make this analogy . . .

Edit: And damit, 500th post can't get me above "WSI regular"? What do I have to do. I had a bottle of campaign ready . . .

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Edit: And damit, 500th post can't get me above "WSI regular"? What do I have to do. I had a bottle of campaign ready . . .501 gets you "personality."

New at WSI 0-15 posts WSI Regular 16-500 posts WSI Personality 501-1500 posts WSI Church Elder 1501-5000 posts WSI High Priest 5001-12,000 posts WSI Prelate 12,001-25,000 posts WSI Guru 25,001-50,000 posts WSI Oracle 50,000+ posts

FoulTerritory
05-27-2012, 01:29 AM
501 gets you "personality."

New at WSI 0-15 posts WSI Regular 16-500 posts WSI Personality 501-1500 posts WSI Church Elder 1501-5000 posts WSI High Priest 5001-12,000 posts WSI Prelate 12,001-25,000 posts WSI Guru 25,001-50,000 posts WSI Oracle 50,000+ posts

Thanks for the clarification. I'll pop my bottle now. Been slowly posting for a long time :)

Go Sox.

hawkjt
05-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Paul Konerko is an absolute animal.

Who woulda thought that of the three sluggers that Schueler grew (Carlos Lee, Mags Ordonez, and Paul Konerko) that Paulie would be the one to have a chance at the HOF.

I think 10 years ago most people, including me, thought that the other two had higher upside, but Pauly's dedication to the art of hitting over the course of 14 years has paid off.

Hawk said he ages like a Bordeaux, but there has to be a better wine to make this analogy . . .

Edit: And damit, 500th post can't get me above "WSI regular"? What do I have to do. I had a bottle of campaign ready . . .

Happened to catch some of the Dodger-Astro game tonite and Carlos Lee was up in the 9th, and they flashed a stat....28+ homers and 100+ rbis the last 12 years.....not bad. PK is better,but El Cabello can hit.

PeteWard
05-27-2012, 05:10 AM

Ed Hermann

Frontman
05-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Doesn't Paul have a bad back? I always thought that was why he runs slow.

DumpJerry
05-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Doesn't Paul have a bad back? I always thought that was why he runs slow.
Nope. He is not Carl Lewis because he is not built for speed.

kufram
05-27-2012, 09:34 AM
I was unable to see Frank play. I was already living abroad and traveling a lot at that time. But I followed his stats in the International Herald Tribune on a daily basis (albeit a day late!) and never quite believed my eyes.

Some of you won't believe this but when i was a kid in Indiana the only way I knew what my favourite WS players looked like was from baseball cards.... and they were few.

Frank was a true great, surely, but Paul Konerko is something even more rare in my opinion. He is still getting better and showing younger players how to do it. The White Sox could benefit from that for years to come.

IF there was such a thing as a franchise player in baseball Paulie would be the definition. I think, if he wants to, he will be a great hitting coach one day. The double down the right field line yesterday should be used as the standard training video on what to do with an outside pitch.

Dibbs
05-27-2012, 09:47 AM
I was unable to see Frank play. I was already living abroad and traveling a lot at that time. But I followed his stats in the International Herald Tribune on a daily basis (albeit a day late!) and never quite believed my eyes.

Some of you won't believe this but when i was a kid in Indiana the only way I knew what my favourite WS players looked like was from baseball cards.... and they were few.

Frank was a true great, surely, but Paul Konerko is something even more rare in my opinion. He is still getting better and showing younger players how to do it. The White Sox could benefit from that for years to come.

IF there was such a thing as a franchise player in baseball Paulie would be the definition. I think, if he wants to, he will be a great hitting coach one day. The double down the right field line yesterday should be used as the standard training video on what to do with an outside pitch.

Frank was better than Paulie is, or ever will be. Frank is much more rare, and one of the greatest hitters of all time.

TomBradley72
05-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Frank was better than Paulie is, or ever will be. Frank is much more rare, and one of the greatest hitters of all time.

Frank was a better "pure hitter" than Paulie and about 99% of anyone to ever play baseball anywhere- any time.

But Paulie is a better overall baseball player and leader than Frank ever was.

Paulie never brought a note from his doctor to hand to the manager in spring training. :stirpot:

mzh
05-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Happened to catch some of the Dodger-Astro game tonite and Carlos Lee was up in the 9th, and they flashed a stat....28+ homers and 100+ rbis the last 12 years.....not bad. PK is better,but El Cabello can hit.
This is very interesting, since Caballo has only posted 28+ homers six times in his career, last in 2008 :tongue:

hawkjt
05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
This is very interesting, since Caballo has only posted 28+ homers six times in his career, last in 2008 :tongue:

You are correct,sir!:smile:

I thought the late hour was playing tricks with me,so I went and looked at CLee's numbers. What he has done is average 28 hrs and 100 rbis his last 12 years...I am sure I read it wrong. My bad.

Tragg
05-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Getting Konerko was one of the great trades in Sox history. I just wonder what Scheuler saw in him to grab him. Maybe it was just that Cameron had come off of a terrible season, but Konerko had shown little in the majors (admittedly in limited opportunities).
Olney has been giving Konerko some hall of fame love on Twitter (not that he says he's a hall of famer, but that he's edging closer).

doublem23
05-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Getting Konerko was one of the great trades in Sox history. I just wonder what Scheuler saw in him to grab him. Maybe it was just that Cameron had come off of a terrible season, but Konerko had shown little in the majors (admittedly in limited opportunities).
Olney has been giving Konerko some hall of fame love on Twitter (not that he says he's a hall of famer, but that he's edging closer).

I'm pretty sure at one point in his MiLB career, Konerko was one of BA's top 5 or 10 prospects in all of baseball. It's not exactly as if he was a diamond in the rough.

fisk4ever
05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Last week at this time I was just hoping Paulie could come back after the eye/face hit and pick up where he left off. Not to worry.

Noneck
05-27-2012, 12:43 PM

Ill say Smoky Burgess and Ed Herrmann.

TDog
05-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Frank was a better "pure hitter" than Paulie and about 99% of anyone to ever play baseball anywhere- any time.

But Paulie is a better overall baseball player and leader than Frank ever was.

Paulie never brought a note from his doctor to hand to the manager in spring training. :stirpot:

Thomas was one of the greatest hitters of his generation, and when he and Konerko were teammates, Thomas was clearly the better hitter. When their career is over, Thomas will be considered the better hitter, without question.

There was a bit of reported friction between them at one time, but most of that may have been with the way the Chicago media stirs things up and fans support their doing so. Konerko had more physical issues to deal with and had to work harder to be less successful. While Thomas was the offensive force that the rest of the lineup was built around in the 1990s, Konerko is the respected team captain.

Still, Konerko has 399 home runs as a White Sox player. Thomas hit 448. If Konerko end up hitting more White Sox home runs than Frank Thomas, part of the reason will be that Konerko has spent more time in a White Sox uniform. But what is amazing about Konerko isn't that he has had a better career than Thomas. What is amazing is that while Thomas declined sharply after the age of 32, Konerko is appears to be having a career season at 36 after he appeared to have a career season at 34.

You don't see that with many good hitters. Luis Aparicio hit .313 for the 1970 White Sox at 36, and the only other year he hit at least .280 was 1969. But he didn't get in the Hall of Fame because of his bat. Ted Willaims hit .388 at the age of 38. But his career year was 1941, when he was only 22.

In the end, I don't see Konerko hitting close to .400 this year. The long season can wear hitters down. But what may impress me most in this big-money free agency era is almost a matter of character and pride. Konerko isn't putting up big numbers while playing for a contract. He is playing to fulfill it.

Carneyman14
05-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Not one who usually complains about a bias, but not 1 5-10 second blurb about Paulie flirting with .400 or his 400th hr with the Sox, or the fact that we are on a little winning streak on SportsCenter this morning. BUT they did talk about Jeter getting 3,155th hit and Roy Halladays shoulder. :mad:

BigKlu59
05-28-2012, 12:02 PM
When are people gonna realize that to the media elite only Two coasts exist. Any land mass between those two coasts is full of crickets,sagebrush and tumbleweeds and each lead will begin with ,,"and by the way, so and so from that desolate outpost" ... Meanwhile the Yankees,Mets,Dodgers,Giants and Red Sox continue to thrill the baseball faithful with wonderous play and film noir nite life...

Paulie could be hitting .500 and cranking out 2 homers a game and it still would be an aside of a blip of coverage..

BK58

Lip Man 1
05-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd leave out the Dodgers, Mets and Giants myself in your comment. They don't seem to be getting a ton of coverage either.

There's only two teams the Eastern Sports Programming Network follows.

Lip

Carneyman14
05-28-2012, 12:24 PM
When are people gonna realize that to the media elite only Two coasts exist. Any land mass between those two coasts is full of crickets,sagebrush and tumbleweeds and each lead will begin with ,,"and by the way, so and so from that desolate outpost" ... Meanwhile the Yankees,Mets,Dodgers,Giants and Red Sox continue to thrill the baseball faithful with wonderous play and film noir nite life...

Paulie could be hitting .500 and cranking out 2 homers a game and it still would be an aside of a blip of coverage..

BK58

I'd leave out the Dodgers, Mets and Giants myself in your comment. They don't seem to be getting a ton of coverage either.

Lip

I know guys sorry. I understand the coast biases. That's why I was expecting a condensed highlight 10-20 seconds. Even just inclusion in a highlight montage, but nope. I believe this isn't a bias its more a slap in the face.

Zakath
05-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Lip

Winner winner chicken dinner.

LoveYourSuit
05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Hearing all the "is Paulie now the greatest Sox over the big hurt?"

Let's not get carried away here. Hurt posted 1.000+ ops in 7-8 seasons for the Sox. This is the first season Paulie is in this territory. Hurts numbers resembled those of the greatest hitters who ever played! 3 MVPs and a batting title.

Paulie by far is the second best and we should all be proud and enjoy this crazy run he is making

NoNeckEra
05-28-2012, 01:25 PM
What was the stat that only so many hitters have gone into June with a .400 average in baseball history?
I think the number was way less than 100 players.

Anyone hear this stat over the past few days?

chisoxfanatic
05-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I remember when Carlos Lee had some crazy 27-29 game hitting streak in 02 or so. Does anyone see Paulie getting to that territory?

34rancher
05-28-2012, 02:43 PM

You must not have seen sandy alomar jr. run with the sox. I remember Paulie even stating he could beat him in a race.

But, let's lay off Paulie, how many of us have an inside the park home run.

TDog
05-28-2012, 02:50 PM
I remember when Carlos Lee had some crazy 27-29 game hitting streak in 02 or so. Does anyone see Paulie getting to that territory?

That was 28 games in 2004. It was stopped in a 4-0, 3-hit shutout pitched by Carl Pavano of the Florida Marlins in Miami. That was Pavano's 18-8 season. Juan Uribe, Joe Crede and starting pitcher Scott Schoenweis all doubled off of him in different innings, but Lee went 0-for-for-4 with two strikeouts.

I don't imagine Konerko will approach 28 games because I could see him going 0-for-2 with a sacrifice fly and a walk. And if he got hit in the face with a pitch after grounding out instead of hitting a home run, because pitches get away from pitchers regardless of the situation, the streak would end.

MetroPD
05-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Hearing all the "is Paulie now the greatest Sox over the big hurt?"

Let's not get carried away here. Hurt posted 1.000+ ops in 7-8 seasons for the Sox. This is the first season Paulie is in this territory. Hurts numbers resembled those of the greatest hitters who ever played! 3 MVPs and a batting title.

Paulie by far is the second best and we should all be proud and enjoy this crazy run he is making
No one has said anything of the sort. Being a personal favorite of many does not mean he has the equal skill of Big Frank, a fact that many here have acknowledged.

SteveFakeBlood
05-29-2012, 02:30 AM
I don't know how many new points I'm going to bring up that haven't been stated in a better way earlier, but nevertheless, here goes:

1) I have to go with the consensus and say that Frank was definitely a better hitter than Paulie. That said, Frank's best years were before age 30 and Paul's were after. According to Baseball-reference.com , in four of Frank's first six seasons- the most comparable player to him historically was Hank Greenberg. Unfortunately, I think Greenberg remains one of history's more underrated ballplayers (dude had the 7th highest career OPS of all-time- and would've easily swatted over 500 homers had he not lost almost 5 full seasons to injuries and/or military service). From 1991-97, Frank could reasonably be compared with guys like Greenberg, Gehrig, Williams, etc. Also to do a bit of nit-picking, someone mentioned Frank won 3 MVPs, he actually only won 2 (although, as we know, the 2000 MVP should've been his...).

2) That all said, in the second half of his career, Paulie's been almost an anti-Frank- from 2003 to the end of his career, Frank consciously changed his hitting style into being more free-swinging- Paulie took the more difficult road of adapting into a smarter, more patient and more effective hitter. He never was exactly a free swinger early in his career- but in the last few years I've seen him hit more singles up the middle and opposite field doubles than I ever saw him hit before the '10s.

3) Surprisingly, Paulie's average season from his '30s (31 homers, 95 RBIs, .285/.369/.514/.884) is only slight better than his average season from his '20s (29 homers, 95 RBIs, .283/.353/.498/.851)- but that's also counting his dreadful '08 season and his "meh" 2007 and 2009 seasons. Even ignoring that, the fact that he's been able to improve in his 30s is remarkable. Also, it needs to be said that there's never been a whiff of suspicion about Paulie doing it any way other than 100% fairly makes his success into his mid-30s all the more incredible.

4) I remember a few years ago someone on here saying that Paulie should go in "The Hall of the Very Good"- and I tentatively agree, however, if he puts together two or three more seasons like his 2010-present season- I think he will have enough credentials to be a legit Hall of Famer. 500 homers done without PEDs I think is going to be a big benchmark that should get him in, if he can somehow manage to win an MVP Award that'll help a lot too.

5) He's an underrated defensive first baseman, he's not Teixiera or Pujols out there, but his quick reflexes and ability to scoop low throws have kept him from ever being seen as a liability.

6) People commenting on Paulie's slowness reminded me of one of my friends using a very colorful (and inappropriate- but admittedly amusing) metaphor to describe his lack of speed- the PG version is that he runs like he has a casket tied to his leg (you might be able to extrapolate what the dirtier metaphor is from that).

7) Paulie is pure class- in his role of captain, I'm reminded of the line "great men do not seek power, it is thrust upon them."

~ Steve