PDA

View Full Version : Sign at tonight's game

Jerry_Manuel
07-23-2002, 11:52 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020723/capt.1027477265twins_white_sox_cxs105.jpg
Chicago White Sox fans in center field show their opinion about the team during a game against the Minnesota Twins at Comiskey Park in Chicago, Tuesday, July 23, 2002. (AP Photo/Frank Polich)

ISUSoxfan
07-24-2002, 01:28 AM
I think those were Cub fans. That's a sign like I would take to Wrigley about the Cubs if I had a little less class.

doublem23
07-24-2002, 02:14 AM
Truth hurts, eh?

ISUSoxfan
07-24-2002, 05:29 AM
The truth is that a strike won't save anything. The only thing that can save the Sox is getting the labor situation solved so we can start making moves that will help us next year. We might need a new GM too. If the strike goes through the off-season, no trades or signings can be made, and the Sox cannot improve. If next season is delayed, all fans will suffer.

If the post-season is cancelled again due to a strike, MLB is done as a major sport for a while. While some extremely selfish fans of underachieving teams may be looking forward to a strike, all real baseball fans are looking forward to the possibility of an exciting post season. Pennant races and playoff games are fun to watch even when the Sox aren't involved, and there are lots of fans in other cities that would be crushed by a strike, like we were in 1994.

Sox fans who want to see a strike are like the little kid in the dodge ball game who took his ball and went home as soon as he got out, even though the game wasn't over.

doublem23
07-24-2002, 07:59 AM
Dude, I think your overreacting to a meaningless sign designed to make you chuckle, not sit down and think about all the ins and outs of it.

I think its pretty ****in funny.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-24-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
The truth is that a strike won't save anything. The only thing that can save the Sox is getting the labor situation solved so we can start making moves that will help us next year. We might need a new GM too. If the strike goes through the off-season, no trades or signings can be made, and the Sox cannot improve. If next season is delayed, all fans will suffer.

If the post-season is cancelled again due to a strike, MLB is done as a major sport for a while. While some extremely selfish fans of underachieving teams may be looking forward to a strike, all real baseball fans are looking forward to the possibility of an exciting post season. Pennant races and playoff games are fun to watch even when the Sox aren't involved, and there are lots of fans in other cities that would be crushed by a strike, like we were in 1994.

Sox fans who want to see a strike are like the little kid in the dodge ball game who took his ball and went home as soon as he got out, even though the game wasn't over.

MIGHT need a new GM?? LOL!!!! What's this MIGHT jazz?? We need a new GM yesterday!

hold2dibber
07-24-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan

Well, since the Sox are not going anywhere and since I believe the current system in place to be an absolute joke that is leading to the ruin of the game, I wouldn't mind a strike if, and only if, it results in a true overhaul of the system (i.e., true revenue sharing, luxury tax, minimum payroll, limits on compensation to draft choices, international draft, etc.).

foulkesfan11
07-24-2002, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure what the strike is for? How much more money can the players demand? I think that all teams other than the Yankees and Atlanta should strike until there is a salary cap put on baseball!

ma-gaga
07-24-2002, 09:48 AM
How much more money can the players demand

:smile: Yeah but... the players aren't DEMANDING MORE MONEY. No matter which side of the fence you are on, you should understand that the PLAYERS aren't demanding MORE. They want to hold on to what they have previously bargained for.

Anyone who tells you otherwise wasn't/isn't paying attention. :)

PaleHoseGeorge
07-24-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

:smile: Yeah but... the players aren't DEMANDING MORE MONEY. No matter which side of the fence you are on, you should understand that the PLAYERS aren't demanding MORE. They want to hold on to what they have previously bargained for.

Anyone who tells you otherwise wasn't/isn't paying attention.

The misinformation that floats around on this subject is ridiculous. Sportswriters are the biggest jokes in the journalism community.

Right here in Chicago, the biggest dope is Phil Rogers. He presents himself as an expert, which makes him the worst of the lot. Yesterday's Cubune had a column from him that was nothing but an op/ed piece on why the players' union isn't being reasonable. Why doesn't this crap get published where it belongs, in the editorials section? The Cubune sucks!

The owners have the right to declare an impasse and unilaterally impose their own work rules next year. They also have the right to lockout the players if they don't go along. This is precisely what the NBA did to its union a few years ago.

The MLBPA is trying to prevent this from happening. They want to keep the old work rules. THEY HAVE NO DEMANDS OF THE OWNERS BUT THE STATUS QUO. They're best hope of preventing MLB from imposing new work rules is to strike first. This is precisely what they did in 1994 when faced with similar circumstances.

If you're getting your news of the world from the morons writing sports in the newspaper, or blabbing into a microphone on Sports-Blab radio, chances are you haven't a clue what is going on. As for those grinning talking heads on sports TV (local and national)--the less said the better.

Avoid making yourself look foolish by reading up on the subject elsewhere. Reading the opinions of COMPLETE DOPES like Phil Rogers does not count.

Jerry_Manuel
07-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The misinformation that floats around on this subject is ridiculous. Sportswriters are the biggest jokes in the journalism community.

If you're getting your news of the world from the morons writing sports in the newspaper, or blabbing into a microphone on Sports-Blab radio, chances are you haven't a clue what is going on. As for those grinning talking heads on sports TV (local and national)--the less said the better.

Avoid making yourself look foolish by reading up on the subject elsewhere. Reading the opinions of COMPLETE DOPES like Phil Rogers does not count.

What if I'm getting my opinions from one Gord Ash? Ol' Gord is writing a column for TSN up in Canada.

Maybe it's not all doom and gloom (http://tsn.ca/gordash/)

ma-gaga
07-25-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Everytime I read someone that says, "team ___ will lose $20MM this year...", I want to scream. Apparently to become a sportswriter you have to believe and propogate ownership's statements as truth. There are writers that won't propogate these rumors, but they are few and far between.

Here is a great article (http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col/barra/2002/07/18/baseball_strike/index.html) that takes on the journalistic approaches taken by the media.

Gah!! The Salon hired Keith Obermann... good lord, I don't know if that's good or bad? :)