PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That was a fundamentally sound shutout 5-23 post-gamer

vinny
05-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Smooth Sale-ing...
:)

Zakath
05-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Paulie hitting .567 (17-30) during his 9-game hitting streak. That's unconscionable.

Now leads the AL in average at .381.

johnnyg83
05-23-2012, 09:43 PM
When Peavy and Sale pitch, I'm in a better spot than I've been in a few seasons with our starting pitchers.

I just wish we could get the consistency from Danks, Humber and Floyd.

ChicagoG19
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Back to .500:dtroll: Now gotta get over the Humb(er) tomorrow.

johnnyg83
05-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Paulie hitting .567 (17-30) during his 9-game hitting streak. That's unconscionable.

Now leads the AL in average at .381.

It's freaking insane that a slow-footed power hitter can hit that high. Maybe it's having Dunn hit in front of him. Maybe, it's that the guy can hit anything. There's no fastball he can't hit.

FielderJones
05-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Take us home, JB. :D:

SoxSpeed22
05-23-2012, 09:48 PM
That's better.

JB98
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
ZOMG! The Twins own us! We are their bitches! They are so fundamentally sound! We can never beat them in meaningful games!

Oh, bull****. The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

chisoxfanatic
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
The Sox won convincingly over the Twins. What world are we in?

LoveYourSuit
05-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Sale is the real deal. My God is he good!

MarySwiss
05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
The Sox won convincingly over the Twins. What world are we in?
Don't stop now, boys!!!

kittle42
05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Nice to have one you don't have to worry about once in a while.

Frater Perdurabo
05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Win the series tomorrow

Foulke You
05-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Hudson made two nice plays at 3B which made me feel better about his defense. Looked smooth out there. Great to see Rios go yard again. Probably was the biggest hit of the game. Sale is filthy. Take the series tomorrow boys.

ChiSoxGal85
05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
It's freaking insane that a slow-footed power hitter can hit that high. Maybe it's having Dunn hit in front of him. Maybe, it's that the guy can hit anything. There's no fastball he can't hit.
It's crazy, it's insane, and it's awesome. Before he got hit in the eye, he'd even been in a mild slump; two games into his return and he comes back even deadlier than before. I heart Paulie.

ZOMG! The Twins own us! We are their bitches! They are so fundamentally sound! We can never beat them in meaningful games!

I heartily approve.

Boondock Saint
05-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Sale is so damn talented, and you can just see how special he can be when he's out on the mound.

tstrike2000
05-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice to see a Sox pitcher who can dominate a crappy Twins team.

DSpivack
05-23-2012, 10:05 PM

:bandance:

soxinem1
05-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Hudson made two nice plays at 3B which made me feel better about his defense. Looked smooth out there. Great to see Rios go yard again. Probably was the biggest hit of the game. Sale is filthy. Take the series tomorrow boys.

Maybe due to injury, but Hudson's 4AB with us have been better than Morel's last 40.

So much for youth.:D:

Zakath
05-23-2012, 10:06 PM
It's crazy, it's insane, and it's awesome. Before he got hit in the eye, he'd even been in a mild slump; two games into his return and he comes back even deadlier than before. I heart Paulie.

8-for-11 in the 3 games before he got hit is a mild slump? :scratch:

soxinem1
05-23-2012, 10:11 PM

He made three outs. Drop him to #9 in the lineup!!

palehozenychicty
05-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Maybe due to injury, but Hudson's 4AB with us have been better than Morel's last 40.

So much for youth.:D:

It's kind of sad, too. But we'll take the win.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Sale sure looks like the real deal. Maybe a Sox draft pick that finally turns out to have a long good career aka Buehrle.

And a home run tonight with someone on base? Incredible! And a home win?? Over the Twins???

Somebody pinch me.

Lip

SteveFakeBlood
05-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Sale was brilliant yet again and Paulie didn't miss a beat. I'm reminded of 10 years ago when he was hit in the head by a Cubs pitcher and then homered in his next two at bats to help lead the Sox back from an 8-0 deficit to win. Apparently, hitting him in the head just makes him stronger.

Hudson looks alright out there. Obviously, not a long term solution, but hopefully he'll be a good stopgap. Nice to see Alex homer, we could use a little more pop from him.

Does it seem strange to anyone else that a .500 team should have four (possibly even five) representatives at the All-star game? I guess that just speaks to how shaky the rest of the team has been :(:.

We really need to wail on the Twins this season- it's payback time.
I missed last night's game, but I'm thinking that was the aberration and the Twins really are this bad this season. This team seems to be the bizarro-world opposite of the Twins teams that won 6 division titles in the last decade- or maybe just the playoff series version of those teams.

~ Steve

johnnyg83
05-23-2012, 10:44 PM
S

Does it seem strange to anyone else that a .500 team should have four (possibly even five) representatives at the All-star game? I guess that just speaks to how shaky the rest of the team has been :(:.

~ Steve

who're you suggesting: Peavy, Dunn. Konerko, Sale?

Crooked Number
05-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Just got home from this gem of a ballgame. Like my buddy texted me, baseball is a funny, quirky game. Sox hit into 4 double plays the first 5 innings and were up 3-0. Diamond was throwing a ton of ground balls, but we hit the mistakes. Dunn and AJ ripped their balls, while Rios and Pauly provided the power.

Tonight we got to see the horrid Twins play horrid ball. With the stuff that Gavin featured yesterday, I think even the season starting 0-21 '88 Orioles could have lit him up.

Fun times at the park, a beautiful, picturesque night for baseball and a Sox victory.

Also, thank the baseball gods that the decision to keep Sale as a starter worked out. That kid can play.

sullythered
05-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Chris Sale is fantastic.

Crooked Number
05-23-2012, 11:19 PM

I heartily approve.

The Bonerko Gals agree that..http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7380&d=1334378966

thomas35forever
05-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Got back from the game about 30 minutes ago. Sale's offspeed stuff was filthy all night. Lots of Twins went down on strikes from it. The offense got hits when they were needed and some nice defense (especially in the infield minus Gordon's error) got the Sox out of jams. Didn't expect to go to a Twins game where things would have gone this smoothly, but hey, I won't complain.

Also, is it bad that sitting out in right field, I pointed and laughed at Mastroianni after he dropped the routine fly ball?:D:

DSpivack
05-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Sale was brilliant yet again and Paulie didn't miss a beat. I'm reminded of 10 years ago when he was hit in the head by a Cubs pitcher and then homered in his next two at bats to help lead the Sox back from an 8-0 deficit to win. Apparently, hitting him in the head just makes him stronger.

Hudson looks alright out there. Obviously, not a long term solution, but hopefully he'll be a good stopgap. Nice to see Alex homer, we could use a little more pop from him.

We really need to wail on the Twins this season- it's payback time.
I missed last night's game, but I'm thinking that was the aberration and the Twins really are this bad this season. This team seems to be the bizarro-world opposite of the Twins teams that won 6 division titles in the last decade- or maybe just the playoff series version of those teams.

~ Steve

Yeah, I don't see that, either. We'll be lucky to get both Peavy and Konerko in.

ChiSoxGal85
05-23-2012, 11:21 PM
You are correct about those games. I had commented on 5/15 that it seemed he was in a slump recently. He was 11 for 46 (.239) from 5/1 - 5/14, which is what I was commenting on then, and what I had stuck in my head - conveniently forgetting about those last 3 games before the Cubs series. My bad. "Slump" is not really the right word, either...just a cool down from his great start.

DSpivack
05-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Got back from the back about 30 minutes ago. Sale's offspeed stuff was filthy all night. Lots of Twins went down on strikes from it. The offense got hits when they were needed and some nice defense (especially in the infield minus Gordon's error) got the Sox out of jams. Didn't expect to go to a Twins game where things would have gone this smoothly, but hey, I won't complain.

Also, is it bad that sitting out in right field, I pointed and laughed at Mastroianni after he dropped the routine fly ball?:D:

Not at all! I remember sitting in the bleachers a number of years ago and laughing at Bobby Kielty's ineptness in the OF. Although Torii Hunter robbing a HR may have gotten the last laugh in that one (not sure I'm even thinking of the same game).

ChiSoxGal85
05-23-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't think it's bad...I think it's your responsibility! :bandance:

sullythered
05-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I don't see that, either. We'll be lucky to get both Peavy and Konerko in.

I think Paulie and Peavy are locks, Dunn has a shot, and Sale is probably gonna be on the outside lookin' in, mainly because of name recognition.

It's crazy how topheavy the Sox are this year. We have the #2 and 5 OPS guys in the league so far, and with AJ, we have three guys in the top twenty. That's the most top twenty OPS guys from one team in the American League. Unfortunately, there is a slight dropoff in the bottom half of our lineup. :tongue:

TaylorStSox
05-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Sale sure looks like the real deal. Maybe a Sox draft pick that finally turns out to have a long good career aka Buehrle.

And a home run tonight with someone on base? Incredible! And a home win?? Over the Twins???

Somebody pinch me.

Lip

Can't you say Sale's a stud without an anti-Sox caveat. Jesus, man. You must be fun at parties.

Moses_Scurry
05-24-2012, 12:26 AM

Without looking up to see what other catchers are doing, I would add AJ to the list, Possibly even moreso than Dunn.

Is there a DH this year? I haven't even paid attention to the all-star game.

BigHurt3515
05-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Without looking up to see what other catchers are doing, I would add AJ to the list, Possibly even moreso than Dunn.

Yeah, Im not even sure what C are even doing good in the AL except Weiters who I am sure will be the starter

hawkjt
05-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Now thatsa nice!!

Diamond's 1.40 ERA went boom tonight.
Gordo is hitting the ball hard,but nothing to show for it.
PK is 14 of his last 20....yikes.

AJ is really stroking it well,and playing great overall.

Chris Sale? 3 runs or less in every start this year? That Chris Sale?
Thank god his MRI was clean. Please stay healthy young man.

I like how Humber and Danks pitched last weekend,and Peavy and Sale are steady good....and Gavin had a nice run until the Angels last wednesday.

So, right now is a good time to make a bit of a run at the hot Tribe,and put some distance between the Sox and Tigers.

Tomorrow is a huge game,as the Tribe face Verlander,and probably lose. If ths Sox win,they could be 2.5 back,and be close enough to catch the Tribe if they sweep them this weekend...a guy can dream,eh?

sullythered
05-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Yeah, Im not even sure what C are even doing good in the AL except Weiters who I am sure will be the starter

AJ is leading all AL catchers in BA and OPS.

BigHurt3515
05-24-2012, 01:44 AM
AJ is leading all AL catchers in BA and OPS.

IMO he is having the best season of all the catchers in the AL to this point and should start the all-star game if he continues to play like this but I guarantee the fans won't vote AJ as the starter lol

cards press box
05-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Sale sure looks like the real deal.
Lip

Yeah, he sure does. Peavy and Sale have been a fine 1-2 duo. If the Sox can get some consistency from Danks, Humber and Floyd, this could be a fun season.

As for tonight,

:winner

LITTLE NELL
05-24-2012, 05:21 AM
Around 70 more wins like that one would really be nice which would win the division not to mention lowering my blood pressure.

doublem23
05-24-2012, 05:36 AM

There should be, game's in Kansas City

Zakath
05-24-2012, 06:57 AM
IMO he is having the best season of all the catchers in the AL to this point and should start the all-star game if he continues to play like this but I guarantee the fans won't vote AJ as the starter lol

Of course not. He's not a Yankee and his Sox aren't Red.

October26
05-24-2012, 07:19 AM

:thumbsup:

Now thatsa nice!!

Gordo is hitting the ball hard,but nothing to show for it.
PK is 14 of his last 20....yikes.

AJ is really stroking it well,and playing great overall.

Chris Sale? 3 runs or less in every start this year? That Chris Sale?
Thank god his MRI was clean. Please stay healthy young man.

I like how Humber and Danks pitched last weekend,and Peavy and Sale are steady good....and Gavin had a nice run until the Angels last wednesday.

So, right now is a good time to make a bit of a run at the hot Tribe,and put some distance between the Sox and Tigers.

Tomorrow is a huge game,as the Tribe face Verlander,and probably lose. If ths Sox win,they could be 2.5 back,and be close enough to catch the Tribe if they sweep them this weekend...a guy can dream,eh?

Good post - I like the way you think.

I was unable to pay close attention to the game last night as I was helping my daughter prepare for a summer job interview. But I did get a chance to hear Hawk's homerun calls for both Alex & Paulie's homers. :D: Speaking of Paulie, I am so relieved to see that he is okay after getting hit near the eye last Friday. I was worried; so glad to see Paulie back in the Sox lineup and doing well. :bandance: I really want to see the Sox win the game tonight and win this series. Go Sox!

Chez
05-24-2012, 07:57 AM

*cough* Kerry Wood *cough*

Golden Sox
05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
The White Sox are coming, Tra La, Tra La.

Bruizer
05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
It was a great game to be at for all the fireworks that... wait, there were no fireworks because it was Dog Day! :o:

hawkjt
05-24-2012, 09:18 AM
No fireworks allowed the TV audience to fully hear the awed reaction of Rahm Emanual to the PK homer in the booth with Hawk and Stoney...as a Cub fan he has not seen such majestic blows like that one by PK last nite:D:..that was a classic hang it-bang it shot by PK.

PK murdered it.
Glancing at the AL hitting leaders in baseball reference today, it is pretty apparent to this point that Josh Hamilton and Paul Konerko are kings of the AL so far. ...these two are 1-2 in most of the statistical categories.
PK has had an insane year so far, and yet, Hamilton is right there with him.
Adam Dunn shows up in the top 5-6 of many stat categories also.

Alexei Ramirez leads the league in a dubious category of ''Outs Made''.
The Sox have had some blown saves,and have those black holes in the lineup offensively...the only two things that have held them back. Those two issues seem to be getting figured out....fingers crossed.:smile:

Some stats for this season to date:
Save opportunities= 16
Blown saves= 7....44% of opportunities blown...ouch.

Season record= 22-22
Divisional record = 11-11
Out of divisional record = 11-11
April record = 11-11
May record= 11-11

Weird symmetry....tonite is the tie-breaker...go Sox!

Lip Man 1
05-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Hawk:

The other serious issue is the struggles they have at home. I agree four blown games where they had a lead in the 7th inning or later and wound up losing (three games in the 9th) is huge.

Lip

TomBradley72
05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
First 6 weeks of the season- new manager/coaching staff and lots of young/rookie players in the mix (Reed, Santiago, Jone, Viciedo, etc.)- with Robin sorting through everything (as he said he would be)-seems like the dust is settling, roles are being defined- if Alexei and Danks can get back to where they need to be and we stay healthy (which is out achilles heal- we have no depth anywhere to weather any injuries) I like our chances.

FielderJones
05-24-2012, 12:43 PM

Not really. Those fundamentally sound Twins errors meant that only two of the five runs scored against him were earned. His ERA is still only 1.78 (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1787649/scott-diamond). Kudos to the Sox for making the Twins pay for their errors.

SteveFakeBlood
05-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Yep. Peavy and Sale are both in the Top 10 in the AL in Wins, ERA, Batting Average Against, WHIP and Sale is just outside the Top 10 in K's (he'd no doubt be up there if not for the skipped start). Paulie is Paulie and Dunn is 2nd in the league in homers and 5th in OPS. Also,with no other AL catchers lighting the world on fire- a case could be made for AJ as well (he is leading AL catchers in average and RBIs).

Yeah, it won't happen- especially since I wouldn't be totally shocked if two of the four of them end up in the "Final Vote" ballot pitted against each other, but all of them are playing well enough to be there. If we were 5 over or were drawing bigger crowds, it might be different.

~ Steve