PDA

View Full Version : Addison Reed "officially" named closer

kittle42
05-23-2012, 04:41 PM
I can only imagine this will mean he'll be in the starting rotation next week.

http://rotoworld.com/player/mlb/6694/addison-reed

amsteel
05-23-2012, 05:28 PM
No pressure, kid.

#1swisher
05-23-2012, 07:08 PM
"Love pitching when the pressure's on." Congrats, Addison Reed. :gulp:

SteveFakeBlood
05-23-2012, 08:53 PM
So: Santiago, Sale, Reed... third time's a charm? I think he's been talked about as our "closer of the future" since the middle of last year anyway- so the future is now, I guess.

~ Steve

johnnyg83
05-23-2012, 08:59 PM
His stuff has been the best of the bullpen in the games I've seen. I do like Jones too, just not as much. Santiago is OK but his FB is so straight.

soxinem1
05-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Hey, he earned his stripes.

Hope he holds the spot for the next ten years.

DonnieDarko
05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Hey, he earned his stripes.

Hope he holds the spot for the next ten years.

I'd love for this to happen too...but let's be realisitic. There probably won't be another closer like Mariano Rivera ever again. And that's the only guy I can think of who's stayed around and been an effective closer (let alone bullpen arm) for about that long.

doublem23
05-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I'd love for this to happen too...but let's be realisitic. There probably won't be another closer like Mariano Rivera ever again. And that's the only guy I can think of who's stayed around and been an effective closer (let alone bullpen arm) for about that long.

Hoffman? Eckersley? Wagner? Smith?

Hell, even Roberto Hernandez was a pretty solid closer for about 10 years.

hawkjt
05-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Sox have had 16 save opportunities so far this year,and have blown 7 of them.
Thornton- 3
Santiago- 2
Sale-1
Ohman- 1

Reed is 100% so far on his few save opportunities.
Seems like the right move.

russ99
05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I was expecting this out of spring training, so I'm glad the Sox finally settled on the right guy for the job.

TomBradley72
05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm impressed with Reed so far-he "stalks" the pitchers mound like he owns it- he has the demeanor of a closer- I'm sure there will be some growing pains- but between this, Crain coming back healthy and Jones emerging- it feels like Ventura can now settle in on some defined roles and stability for awhile.

cws05champ
05-24-2012, 11:36 AM
So: Santiago, Sale, Reed... third time's a charm? I think he's been talked about as our "closer of the future" since the middle of last year anyway- so the future is now, I guess.

~ Steve
I think it is more like: Santiago, Thornton, Reed....

Hmm.....sounds a lot like:

Takatsu, Hermansson, Jenks

We are going to win it all!!!!!

Nellie_Fox
05-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Hoffman? Eckersley? Wagner? Smith?

Hell, even Roberto Hernandez was a pretty solid closer for about 10 years.Rollie Fingers, Bruce Sutter, Rich Gossage, there were lots.

TDog
05-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Rollie Fingers, Bruce Sutter, Rich Gossage, there were lots.

Gossage came to my mind right away. And Eckersley, of course. I frequently see people wearing Eckersley jerseys.

I actually went to a game on a Friday night in 1976 in which Gossage beat Eckersley, Gossage going nine innings in a 4-1 win. Eckersley started for Cleveland but was knocked out in the fifth after Jorge Orta tripled. Funny how the game wasn't billed as a matchup of two future Hall of Famers.

SCCWS
05-25-2012, 08:41 AM
luckily Reed wasn't closing last night. Maybe they shouldn't "name" a closer. Seems like it could be a jinx this year. Maybe Robin needs a secret closer. Are mask's illegal?

doublem23
05-25-2012, 08:53 AM
luckily Reed wasn't closing last night. Maybe they shouldn't "name" a closer. Seems like it could be a jinx this year. Maybe Robin needs a secret closer. Are mask's illegal?

As long as he doesn't cough the lead up, I'm not going to worry too much how a closer does in a non-save situation where the guy just needs an inning of work to stay fresh. Not a great pitch that Morneau crushed, but again, 5 run lead with 1 out already in the 9th, you just throw strikes. Even after Morneau's HR, the Twin's win expectancy was under 1.5%.

hawkjt
05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
I understand it is a fine line between using a closer enough to keep them in a groove vs overuse,but I wondered why Robin wasted an outing with a big lead. With the Tribe coming to town,then the Rays,the Sox play 6 in the next 6 days. Reed may need to come in the next 5-6 days in a row.

Perez of the Tribe closed all three games the last three days vs the Tigers. They were saying that he may not be able to go tonite.
I would have liked the edge in closer in this series.

slavko
05-25-2012, 10:57 AM
I like Reed. Most of you love him. Jones has better stuff.

soxnut67
05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I like his stature on the mound. He just has this attitude of nard-nosed successful closer. I think being a closer is very much a mentality, and of course you have to have the stuff to go with it, and I think he's got it.

Huisj
05-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Sox have had 16 save opportunities so far this year,and have blown 7 of them.
Thornton- 3
Santiago- 2
Sale-1
Ohman- 1

Reed is 100% so far on his few save opportunities.
Seems like the right move.

Blown saves are misleading though. A reliever who comes in and blows the game in the 7th or 8th gets a blown save even though they weren't in to get a save. If they are successful, they get a hold, which then doesn't count in the successful saves column.

If you just look at the save opportunity stats, the Sox have had 16 of those and have 7 blown saves. But if you look deeper and go to the number of times a pitcher entered a game in a save situation, the Sox have had 33 save situations, resulting in 9 saves, 7 blown saves, and 16 holds. To break it down more, it'd be cool to sift through boxscores and see how many of those 7 blown saves were actually in the 9th by a closer and how many happened earlier than that.

Huisj
05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Blown saves are misleading though. A reliever who comes in and blows the game in the 7th or 8th gets a blown save even though they weren't in to get a save. If they are successful, they get a hold, which then doesn't count in the successful saves column.

If you just look at the save opportunity stats, the Sox have had 16 of those and have 7 blown saves. But if you look deeper and go to the number of times a pitcher entered a game in a save situation, the Sox have had 33 save situations, resulting in 9 saves, 7 blown saves, and 16 holds. To break it down more, it'd be cool to sift through boxscores and see how many of those 7 blown saves were actually in the 9th by a closer and how many happened earlier than that.

Blown saves that were in actual save situations:
-Santiago in 9th against Baltimore, April 16
-Santiago in 14th against Oakland, April 25
-Thornton in 9th against Detroit, May 4

Blown saves that were in hold situations:
-Sale in 8th against Cleveland, May 8 (this one could go either way as it's right after he was named closer and could have been in for a 2 inning save)
-Thornton in 7th against KC, May 13
-Ohman in 6th against Detroit, May 15
-Thornton in 7th against Cubs, May 18

So that means 3 or 4 of the blown saves are more like blown holds.

hawkjt
05-25-2012, 01:07 PM
I agree that it is misleading to cite the raw numbers.
But, giving up a lead after the 7th is tatamount to a blown save in my book,and is not acceptable.
I know that it will happen,but it has to be much more rare than it has been this season. The Sox should have at least 3-4 more wins,imo.
But, I know, it happens,and every team has weaknesses.