PDA

View Full Version : Brent Morel on 15-day DL

#1swisher
05-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Chicago White Sox

White Sox have placed Brent Morel on 15-Day DL (retroactive to 5/18) w/ lumbar back strain.

SoxSpeed22
05-22-2012, 02:03 PM
At least it's just a strain, but back injuries are never to be taken lightly.

thomas35forever
05-22-2012, 04:22 PM
As long as he doesn't have Crede syndrome, hopefully no huge cause for concern.

hawkjt
05-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Been bothering him since spring training....no wonder he could not hit anything on that outside corner with a shovel. Tough break for him at this critical point in his career. Get well, Brent, we need ya to come back and be good.

ChiSoxGal85
05-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Been bothering him since spring training....no wonder he could not hit anything on that outside corner with a shovel. Tough break for him at this critical point in his career. Get well, Brent, we need ya to come back and be good.
This...I hope he can heal up and be more like the hitter he was late in 2011.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2012, 05:26 PM
His back acted up with two weeks to go in spring training...back in March.

I don't think a "strain" lasts two months, nor would it involve a cortisone shot like he got a few weeks ago.

Me thinks this is more than a "strain" at least that's what I'm being told.

Lip

TomBradley72
05-22-2012, 05:37 PM
I thought he had a bulging disk?

Lip's right- he's been dealing with this since mid-March- I doubt he comes back this year-

Zakath
05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
He was swinging the bat like he was waist-deep in concrete: all arms.

Somewhat upset that they didn't notice this earlier and get him out of the lineup instead of continually sticking him in the 2 spot and watching him flail away.

#1swisher
05-24-2012, 05:41 PM
He won't need surgery, a physical on Tuesday showed the issue to be
centered on the facet joint around the disc.
After it calms down the trainers and Morel can stay on top of it easier than imagined. :)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120523&content_id=32092876&notebook_id=32094626&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

MetroPD
05-25-2012, 04:06 AM
His back acted up with two weeks to go in spring training...back in March.

I don't think a "strain" lasts two months, nor would it involve a cortisone shot like he got a few weeks ago.

Me thinks this is more than a "strain" at least that's what I'm being told.

Lip
as one who has had back problems including multiple shots and eventually surgery, I can only wish the very best for him. I fear that you and others are right in that a "back strain" isn't usually remedied after 2 months with cortisone shots. Get well Brent and I wish you all the best.
He won't need surgery, a physical on Tuesday showed the issue to be
centered on the facet joint around the disc.
After it calms down the trainers and Morel can stay on top of it easier than imagined. :)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120523&content_id=32092876&notebook_id=32094626&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120523&content_id=32092876&notebook_id=32094626&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws)

That where I received the last 4 of my injections..... and then I had to get my facet joints drilled and cleaned out from arthritic bone growth. I hope you are right in that this will calm down.

Bucky F. Dent
05-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Good Grief! Another back-injury at third base. Let's hope Big-O can carry the day. Sounds like he's going to be our first option for the majority of the season.

sox1970
05-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Morel 2-3, double off Liam Hendriks in his first rehab game.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2012, 08:29 PM
I hate that he has a back issue. Let's hope this treatment helps him keep it at bay. This also explains his poor performance. I also thought that Crede's back issues messed with his swing, too.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Story at Tribune tonight says that the Sox (Ventura) isn't sure he'll be activated Saturday when he can come off the DL.

Robin says he wants to see where he is completely and Hudson's play is factoring in.

Maybe Morel becomes part of a deal in July if the Sox are still in this?

Lip

DSpivack
05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Story at Tribune tonight says that the Sox (Ventura) isn't sure he'll be activated Saturday when he can come off the DL.

Robin says he wants to see where he is completely and Hudson's play is factoring in.

Lip

Does he have much value?

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2012, 09:15 PM

Lip

Do the Sox have any other third baseman in the minors? Silviero remains a long way off and Hudson is not a long term option. Not sure Morel would interest any teams that match up with us. I think the pitching prospects would have more trade value.

sox1970
05-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Like it or not, a healthy Morel is better for the Sox than a healthy Hudson at 3B.

I like what Hudson brings, but maybe Morel's problems this year are mostly about health. If he comes back and stinks, then he he'll just have to go back to Charlotte and Hudson will still be there to take over.

Noneck
05-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Like it or not, a healthy Morel is better for the Sox than a healthy Hudson at 3B.

I like what Hudson brings, but maybe Morel's problems this year are mostly about health. If he comes back and stinks, then he he'll just have to go back to Charlotte and Hudson will still be there to take over.

If Morel comes back, Escobar will be the one dropped to the minors. Then the backup SS would be Beckham, which is fine. He should get used to being a utility infielder anyway.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
If Morel comes back, Escobar will be the one dropped to the minors. Then the backup SS would be Beckham, which is fine. He should get used to being a utility infielder anyway.

I really doubt that's the case, as Beckham has a very long leash with the Sox. Not to mention, he's come around a bit the last month. I'm sure they're going to be very patient with him, especially considering the magic Manto has worked with Dunn, Viciedo, Rios, etc.

BTW, Beckham's last month he's hit .261/.306/.441. The cumulative league average for a 2B this season is currently is .249/.314/.374, plus Beckham gives you + defense. He's not going anywhere.

Noneck
05-30-2012, 10:37 PM
He's not going anywhere.

Now on a competitive club, I wonder about that. Time will tell.

DonnieDarko
05-30-2012, 10:40 PM
BTW, Beckham's last month he's hit .261/.306/.441. The cumulative league average for a 2B this season is currently is .249/.314/.374, plus Beckham gives you + defense. He's not going anywhere.

Getting mostly 1 hit per game will do that to your stats. What worries me about Beckham is that in clutch, pressure situations, he looks terrible. At least he's gotten on a few times for Dunn and Konerko and hit a few out of the park, I guess, but he needs to be able to be clutch for me to be comfortable with him being an everyday 2B.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Getting mostly 1 hit per game will do that to your stats. What worries me about Beckham is that in clutch, pressure situations, he looks terrible. At least he's gotten on a few times for Dunn and Konerko, I guess, but he needs to be able to be clutch for me to be comfortable with him being an everyday 2B.

Second base is a defensive position, you need guys there who will catch and throw the ball for you, which Beckham does. I wish we had a Robinson Cano, but we don't. Luckily the Sox seem to have enough offense right now that if Gordon is going to merely be a superlative defensive 2B and merely average offensively, they will probably live with that. Plus, he's also been looking sharper at the plate lately, so I'm guessing the Sox will remain patient with their former 1st round pick as he continues to work with a new hitting coach. Some guys take time to figure this stuff out.

Noneck
05-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Luckily the Sox seem to have enough offense right now that if Gordon is going to merely be a superlative defensive 2B and merely average offensively, they will probably live with that.

He hasnt been average offensively this year or last year and maybe barely average in '10. His position may not be safe on a competitive club unless he finally turns it around offensively or the Sox keep up their torrid hitting. The problem is there may not be anyone any better to replace him with. The only possibilities are for the Sox to go out and get a 2nd baseman (chances slim to none) or for Morel to come back strong and Hudson to play as he has previously in his career.

KMcMahon817
05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I really doubt that's the case, as Beckham has a very long leash with the Sox. Not to mention, he's come around a bit the last month. I'm sure they're going to be very patient with him, especially considering the magic Manto has worked with Dunn, Viciedo, Rios, etc.

+10000000. Gordo has been solid recently. Not the golden boy we all hoped we had, but he has been solid. No complaints here. Dude can throw some leather.

doublem23
05-30-2012, 11:23 PM
He hasnt been average offensively this year or last year and maybe barely average in '10. His position may not be safe on a competitive club unless he finally turns it around offensively or the Sox keep up their torrid hitting. The problem is there may not be anyone any better to replace him with. The only possibilities are for the Sox to go out and get a 2nd baseman (chances slim to none) or for Morel to come back strong and Hudson to play as he has previously in his career.

His numbers over the last month have been run of the mill average for a 2B in the American League. Obviously his year numbers are down, but you're missing quite a bit of the forest for the trees if you're not looking deeper into his progression.

The Orioles and Rays are starting Robert Andino and Will Rhymes at 2B most often right now. They are hitting .258/.316/.354 and .277/.338/.308 entering today, and they were tied for 1st in the most competitive division in baseball entering the day.

Beckham's approach and results at the plate have been a lot better lately. Perhaps it's his work with Jeff Manto paying dividends. Perhaps he's just been lucky lately. Whatever the case is, he's been better recently. Just because he's never going to be the star a lot of us hoped he'd be doesn't mean it's a prudent move to try and find a fit for a hole that's currently not there. Especially when one of the answers is to give more playing time to Brent Morel, whose been decidedly worse than Beckham, both this year, and every comparable year of their development.

Noneck
05-30-2012, 11:52 PM
His numbers over the last month have been run of the mill average for a 2B in the American League. Obviously his year numbers are down, but you're missing quite a bit of the forest for the trees if you're not looking deeper into his progression.

The Orioles and Rays are starting Robert Andino and Will Rhymes at 2B most often right now. They are hitting .258/.316/.354 and .277/.338/.308 entering today, and they were tied for 1st in the most competitive division in baseball entering the day.

Beckham's approach and results at the plate have been a lot better lately. Perhaps it's his work with Jeff Manto paying dividends. Perhaps he's just been lucky lately. Whatever the case is, he's been better recently. Just because he's never going to be the star a lot of us hoped he'd be doesn't mean it's a prudent move to try and find a fit for a hole that's currently not there. Especially when one of the answers is to give more playing time to Brent Morel, whose been decidedly worse than Beckham, both this year, and every comparable year of their development.

.224/.280 is really bad and .230/.296 is also bad. Morels are probably worse but last year was only his 1st half year and maybe this year he had injury problems or maybe he just stinks also. I am just hoping Morel comes back strong and Hudson plays like he has previously, then I dont have to wait anymore for the Beckham resurrection which may never occur. Time will tell soon enough.

doublem23
05-31-2012, 12:01 AM
.224/.280 is really bad and .230/.296 is also bad. Morels are probably worse but last year was only his 1st half year and maybe this year he had injury problems or maybe he just stinks also. I am just hoping Morel comes back strong and Hudson plays like he has previously, then I dont have to wait anymore for the Beckham resurrection which may never occur. Time will tell soon enough.

I have no idea what those numbers represent, but again, the average 2B in the American League this year is hitting: .249/.314/.374

Look, I know we all want Cano at 2B for us but that's just not the case. In May, Beckham has hit: .261/.306/.441. You can try and dice and slice it anyway you want, but Beckham has been average-to-slightly above average for his position the last month. Whether or not that's a sign he's turned a corner or it's just a lucky streak remains to be seen. But I personally would try my luck and stick with him over Brent Morel, whose never been a Gordon Beckham at any level... ever and washed up Orlando Hudson.

Noneck
05-31-2012, 12:12 AM
I have no idea what those numbers represent, but again, the average 2B in the American League this year is hitting: .249/.314/.374

Average and On Base Percentage for 2012 and 2011.

I am really disgusted at Beckham but you are probably right, Morel is not the solution. So my hope is that Hudson plays as he has in the past, moves to the 2nd slot and Beckham is buried in the 9 hole for the rest of the year.

hawkjt
05-31-2012, 02:31 AM
I hope they leave Morel down in the minors until he really starts hitting consistently well...then bring him back and make a decision on Escobar or Hudson.

Morel might have better bat with a healthy back.
As for Beckham,he is playing winning ball in May,and having a doubleplay combo like him and Alexei is more important than high average hitting.

Some fan will never be happy...Sox have won 12 of 13 and are leading the world in offense the last few weeks and they are''disgusted '' with our #2 hitter. This lineup has been golden,do not change a thing.

Hitmen77
05-31-2012, 08:08 AM

The problem with Beckham and Morel earlier in this season was that they were total black holes in a lineup that wasn't exactly on fire in most of the other spots either.

We can live with Beckham hitting .250 if the big hitters on our team do their job. Same with 3B. Hudson isn't going to set the world on fire with his bat, but he hasn't been an automatic out either. Maybe Morel's problems at the plate were due to his injury, but he was just brutal when he was here.

TomBradley72
05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm willing to give Morel the benefit of the doubt due to his health issues (back, unexplained weight loss)- I'd rather have him on the major league roster giving us our only "true" 3rd baseman. Mix him in as a late game defensive replacement and based on match ups.

Hudson gets some starts at 3rd and when Beckham needs a rest.

Escobar down to AAA to play every day and give us a spare part when we need it.

cws05champ
05-31-2012, 08:47 AM
I hope they leave Morel down in the minors until he really starts hitting consistently well...then bring him back and make a decision on Escobar or Hudson.

Morel might have better bat with a healthy back.
As for Beckham,he is playing winning ball in May,and having a doubleplay combo like him and Alexei is more important than high average hitting.

Some fan will never be happy...Sox have won 12 of 13 and are leading the world in offense the last few weeks and they are''disgusted '' with our #2 hitter. This lineup has been golden,do not change a thing.
:thumbsup: ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

ChiSoxGal85
05-31-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm willing to give Morel the benefit of the doubt due to his health issues (back, unexplained weight loss)- I'd rather have him on the major league roster giving us our only "true" 3rd baseman. Mix him in as a late game defensive replacement and based on match ups.

:thumbsup: I think Escobar should be the odd man out here. He should go down to AAA.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
My suggestion was that Morel could be used as part of a deal involving multiple players...I agree, I don't think he has much value even up for anybody.

Lip

TheOldRoman
05-31-2012, 12:35 PM

BTW, Beckham's last month he's hit .261/.306/.441. The cumulative league average for a 2B this season is currently is .249/.314/.374, plus Beckham gives you + defense. He's not going anywhere.Not only that, but he has hit plenty of ropes right at people during the last month. You can't always just look at the stats to see the whole picture. Watching Beckham's stance and approach right now, he is a completely different hitter than a month ago. Maybe he will hit .260 for the year, maybe this is just the start of him putting it together and he will hit much better, and maybe he even goes into a massive slump and returns to the Walkerian batting-stance-du-jour game. We don't know, but as of right now, I don't see how anybody could be dissapointed with how Beckham is playing.

Foulke You
05-31-2012, 03:38 PM

Both scenarios of Morel coming up to the team soon give me pause.

Scenario 1: Morel gets the starting 3B job handed to him and Hudson goes into a reserve role. I'd hate to do anything that drastic that upsets the offensive groove this team has gotten into. Hudson has provided decent defense to go along with many walks and quality ABs at the 9 slot. Even a healthy Brent Morel has exactly one good month in a Sox uniform. (September 2011) I shudder at the thought of going back to Morel's low OBP/high strikeout combo back in the 9 hole.

Scenario 2: Morel gets his MLB roster spot back and slides into a reserve backup role as a late inning sub or on a day game after night game situation. The problem with this scenario is that the likely "odd man out" is Eduardo Escobar who has more value as a bench player than Morel. He plays 2B, SS, and 3B at an above average level and is a speedy pinch runner. Brent Morel can only play 3B and has average speed.

Morel seems like a great kid but the Sox don't owe him anything. This is the big leagues and they are in a pennant race now. I'd leave him in Charlotte until he can show improvement on offense and show that the back issues are behind him.

LITTLE NELL
05-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Both scenarios of Morel coming up to the team soon give me pause.

Scenario 1: Morel gets the starting 3B job handed to him and Hudson goes into a reserve role. I'd hate to do anything that drastic that upsets the offensive groove this team has gotten into. Hudson has provided decent defense to go along with many walks and quality ABs at the 9 slot. Even a healthy Brent Morel has exactly one good month in a Sox uniform. (September 2011) I shudder at the thought of going back to Morel's low OBP/high strikeout combo back in the 9 hole.

Scenario 2: Morel gets his MLB roster spot back and slides into a reserve backup role as a late inning sub or on a day game after night game situation. The problem with this scenario is that the likely "odd man out" is Eduardo Escobar who has more value as a bench player than Morel. He plays 2B, SS, and 3B at an above average level and is a speedy pinch runner. Brent Morel can only play 3B and has average speed.

Morel seems like a great kid but the Sox don't owe him anything. This is the big leagues and they are in a pennant race now. I'd leave him in Charlotte until he can show improvement on offense and show that the back issues are behind him.

That is the right scenario.

Hitmen77
06-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Morel 4 for 8 in his first two rehab games:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-soxs-morel-collects-four-hits-in-1st-two-rehab-games-20120531,0,5822004.story

delben91
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-soxs-morel-collects-four-hits-in-1st-two-rehab-games-20120531,0,5822004.story

Still think giving him an extended stretch at AAA would be the way to go. Make sure he's fully healthy and get more of a sample size to indicate if the injury was the main culprit in his terrible start to the season offensively.

FielderJones
06-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Brent's ability to hit minor league pitching has never been in question.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=morel-001bre

He did well against September call-ups last year as well. MLB veterans seem to have found something in his swing or approach that they can exploit.

russ99
06-01-2012, 12:30 PM

He did well against September call-ups last year as well. MLB veterans seem to have found something in his swing or approach that they can exploit.

I'm a fan of Hudson, but Morel is still the future at 3B. So the Sox should give him the full rehab to get his confidence back and if he can hit decently move Hudson into a reserve role.

IMO, the same goes with Youkilis if Kenny goes after him.

sox1970
06-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Morel was replaced after 2 AB tonight. He got a walk and a single, and a pinch runner came in.

LITTLE NELL
06-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Morel was replaced after 2 AB tonight. He got a walk and a single, and a pinch runner came in.

Why did they pull him, was he hurt?

sox1970
06-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Why did they pull him, was he hurt?

Nothing on Twitter. Maybe it was a planned 2 AB's tonight, and they're getting him on a plane tonight so he can play tomorrow and then have an off day Monday.

Hope he's ok, because Hudson got exposed today.

LITTLE NELL
06-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Nothing on Twitter. Maybe it was a planned 2 AB's tonight, and they're getting him on a plane tonight so he can play tomorrow and then have an off day Monday.

Hope he's ok, because Hudson got exposed today.

Yes he did, I just posted that in the post game thread.

sox1970
06-04-2012, 09:26 PM
0-4, 2 k tonight

The Immigrant
06-04-2012, 10:29 PM
0-4, 2 k tonight

He's in midseason form!

slavko
06-04-2012, 11:26 PM

And they're keeping it a secret, makes sense. Never talk about these things in the bullpen or clubhouse. Why help rookies?

Can't understand why none of our other dolts had a September surge, though.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Ventura tonight said before the loss to Toronto, Morel was going to stay in Charlotte... that he keeps occasionally having issues with that "lower lumbar strain..."

Like I said 'lower lumbar strains' don't last 2 1/2 months with the best medical care available and require a cortisone shot.

I was told he was going to be out when this first happened, at least a month and it doesn't look like that timetable is changing any.

Lip

sox1970
06-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Morel struck out in his first AB, and was removed from the game.

soxinem1
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Back issues and White Sox 3B are very common the last 40 years.

Melton, Soderholm, Perry, Ventura, Crede, Morel, to name a few.....

Lip Man 1
06-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't think Eric had back issues. I think it was the knee that he ripped apart when he was with the Twins and fell into a hole.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Morel back in Chicago seeing specialist tomorrow than he said he's seeing another one in L.A. Wants to do anything he can to avoid surgery.

Guess it's not a "lower lumbar strain" after all... not if you are using the word surgery in the same sentence.

Lip

Foulke You
06-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Morel back in Chicago seeing specialist tomorrow than he said he's seeing another one in L.A. Wants to do anything he can to avoid surgery.

Guess it's not a "lower lumbar strain" after all... not if you are using the word surgery in the same sentence.

Lip

Doesn't sound good for Morel. Chronic back issues rarely just heal themselves. Hudson pickup is looming pretty big right now. Still just a band aid though but an important one.

doublem23
06-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Back issues and White Sox 3B are very common the last 40 years.

Melton, Soderholm, Perry, Ventura, Crede, Morel, to name a few.....

I don't recall Robin ever having any debilitating back issues, just his ankle he tore up in 1997