PDA

View Full Version : Is Baltimore for real?

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2012, 10:34 PM
The Orioles haven't had one of the best records in baseball this late into the season in a LOOOOOOOOOONG time! Do you think they're for real, or will they fall into oblivion over time?

HomeFish
05-20-2012, 11:25 PM
There are three teams in that division that are more talented, and two of them are notorious as bad early season starters. I have faith that all is right in the world and that NYY/BOS/TB will re-assert their authority in time.

Orioles fans become obnoxious whenever they have one of these good starts, and let's not forget who the manager is. I can't wait for this team to collapse.

DSpivack
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
There are three teams in that division that are more talented, and two of them are notorious as bad early season starters. I have faith that all is right in the world and that NYY/BOS/TB will re-assert their authority in time.

Orioles fans become obnoxious whenever they have one of these good starts, and let's not forget who the manager is. I can't wait for this team to collapse.

The Rays look fine as it is. Even before this season, I looked at the Red Sox and did not see a good team. I think they'll be around .500 all season long. The Yankees I think will, and are, good but not great--that rotation is a mess. Another intriguing story there is the Blue Jays. Their hitters have only started to heat up lately and their pitching has been pretty good.

As for the Orioles, count me in as a non-believer, although I would love to see them succeed.

WLL1855
05-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Baltimore will fade over the next few months. Though I'd pay good money to have standings turn out at the end of seasons to be the same as they are now. Boston and New York need a good helping of bitterness heading into the offseason.

Thome25
05-21-2012, 11:31 AM
@ Chisoxfanatic it's funny you ask because I was going to start the same thread today after seeing Paul Swydan's ESPN insider article. (Also, got into a small twitter debate with him about it as well.)

After seeing them first hand, (I live in Maryland and work 30 miles north of Baltimore) in my opinion, they are for real....and good for them. They're pitching well (and Britton isn't even back yet) and hitting the cover off the ball.

It's been a long time coming for this suffering franchise and fandom. I hope they stick it to the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays and win the AL East.

asindc
05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes.

Thome25
05-21-2012, 11:33 AM

This post is the reason the O's will continue to do well deep into the season....because it's coming from Homefish. :tongue:

In all seriousness, have you ever been to an Orioles game at Camden Yards? I live halfway between Philly and Baltimore and I've been to Camden Yards a few times. Orioles fans are anything but obnoxious even when the team is winning. Phillies fans on the other hand are a whole different story.

05-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Although he is probably still a year away from MLB, Dylan Bundy is for real.
The 19 year old who was in High School a year ago has still not given up a earned run on the season.

30IP
2BB
0.00 ERA
5 Hits allowed

Thome25
05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
The 19 year old who was in High School a year ago has still not given up a earned run on the season.

30IP
2BB
0.00 ERA
5 Hits allowed

Sorry with the last name Bundy I had to do it:

:bundy

With those numbers, he is absolutely for real.

TDog
05-21-2012, 12:07 PM
It rather depends on your definition of "for real."

I don't expect them to win the division. I don't expect them to be close in September, although the wilder play-in wild card might give fans more hope than they otherwise should have. The wild card is so wild this year that some baseball people wonder if there will be any major trades at the deadline this year.

I do expect the Orioles to win a high number of games this year, and they seem to have a foundation where they won't fall back to being a 90-loss team in 2013.

At worst, their fans have the opportunity to enjoy the summer.

SI1020
05-21-2012, 03:12 PM
We were asking the same thing about the Pirates last year. I know it's two different organizations and the Orioles do appear to have some real talent. Time will tell. After you've been down so long it's hard to pull yourself back up. The Orioles did it before once upon a time, and for about a quarter century played mostly winning baseball.

Foulke You
05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
I'd be more inclined to say they are "for real" if they played in a different division. The Rays are really good. Also, as a previous poster pointed out, the Blue Jays bats are starting to heat up a bit too. Also, the Jays GM seems to be "All In" this year so I expect them to be very aggressive at the deadline. You know the Yanks will probably make a trade for a starting pitcher or simply overpay for Oswalt. The Red Sox will eventually get some of their hurt veterans like Jacoby and Crawford back in the lineup which will help them. It's going to be a very competitive division. I'm not sure if the O's can outlast all the talent in that division but it would certainly be a welcome change of pace to see the Yanks and Red Sox sit out this postseason even with two wild cards in play.

hawkjt
05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I think the O's are as good as anyone in that tough division.
It should be a dogfight the rest of the way in that division.

All of which could mean that the second wildcard could come from the AL Central...those teams in the AL East will butcher each other up playing 18 games against each other.

We have been told by some fans on here that the O's,A's,and Royals are garbage....Royals just hammered the Rangers and now the Yanks.
A's are over .500,and the O's have the best record in the league...so nobody knows nothing.

I do know that it is May 22,and the Sox have a record as good or better than the Yanks,Red Sox,Angels and Tigers....all whom have payrolls hugely exceeding the Sox.

sox1970
05-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth if the Orioles won the top wildcard spot and got eliminated by the Yankees in a one-game playoff?

mark1529
05-22-2012, 05:07 PM
a good lineup
but kevin gregg???:?::o::rolleyes:

palehozenychicty
05-22-2012, 05:39 PM
I said no, because the pitching is still not seasoned enough. But they are coming. They look like Tampa in 2006-7. You can see the talent in their lineup. It was just a matter of competing on a nightly basis. Buck has taught them how to execute, and this fast start is evidence.

StillMissOzzie
05-22-2012, 08:13 PM
If by "for real", do you mean that I think they will win their division, then I would have to say no, but with 25% of the season gone, I have to say that their beating of the Sox earlier was no fluke or lucky stretch either.

SMO
:gulp:

TheVulture
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM

30IP
2BB
0.00 ERA
5 Hits allowed

A .233 WHIP to go a long with a 20 to 1 K/BB ratio? I don't care if it's pony league, that is impressive.

TheVulture
05-24-2012, 01:16 PM
a good lineup
but kevin gregg???:?::o::rolleyes:

I don't think having a journeyman reliever at the end of the bullpen really precludes a team from contending does it? I'm pretty sure he's about sixth or seventh in the depth chart looking at their roster.

This is a very young team, it would be hard to predict whether this team is for real or not. Their bench looks pretty weak, though. I don't know if they've got anybody ready at AAA, but it looks like they'll have to avoid the injury bug if they do want to stay in it.

SteveFakeBlood
05-24-2012, 04:55 PM
No. Adam Jones is a good player having a career year, Matt Wieters is a decent hitter who will probably mature into a great one, Markakis is a good hitter destined to never quite take that step into greatness. Mark Reynolds can hit homers, but he's very much a poor man's Adam Dunn. I'm just not convinced the rest of the lineup: Chris Davis, JJ Hardy and the like can hold it together for the rest of the year. Jim Johnson's been unbelievable out of the bullpen and with Chen, Arrieta and Matusz they've got some good young arms in the rotation (granted. the latter two have been incredibly inconsistent)- but I really can't see them doing much more than finishing around .500 and being a year or two away from doing something big. They may well break the losing season's streak- but they can't compete with the Rays' pitching or the Yankees' bats. The Red Sox are in a down year and I'm not fully convinced by the Bluejays (is Edwin Encarnacion really going to keep this up?)- but while the division should be interesting- I think it's the Rays' division to lose, although the Yankees may overtake them if Longoria doesn't come back 100%.

That all said, it's nice to see that the AL East is becoming more balanced- I'm happy for any success out of that division not involving the Red Sox or Yankees.

~ Steve

SCCWS
05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Boston just went in and took 2 of 3 with their 5th, 6th and 7th outfielders playing as 1-4 are on the disabled list. Baltimore's pitching is average and their lineup has a few holes. They are a .500 team in that division once Yankees and Red Sox get some of their walking wounded back.