PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Our rookie Manager beat your rookie Manager postgame sweep thread

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Peavy was great

Flowers with a nice game at the plate

Bacon and Dunn with back to back jacks to open the scoring

Four game winning streak; halfway to one of our patented eight game streaks

Back at .500

DumpJerry
:sweep:
4-1 road trip!

soxinem1
Peavy solid again, and another Dunn bomb against LHP.

Back @ .500:bandance::bandance:

Sing it Jake and Elwood!!

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Three post-game threads get posted simultaneously!

GoGoCrede
Someone get me a broom. :gulp:

soxnut1018
The BP Cup is ours!!!! :bliss:

04854XqcfCY

GoGoCrede
05-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh, the Cup, what an unimaginably wonderful honor. Beats the World Series, truly.

teal is very much implied

SoxSpeed22
05-20-2012, 05:21 PM
That was easier than anticipated. Jake got himself in and out of trouble plenty in this game. We need to cut down on those walks when we start playing better teams.
The ball was going to fly out today with the wind blowing out and a hot day, and the Sox were the ones hitting the ball out. A sweep is always nice.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
I liked my thread title better, and it was posted first. :)

tstrike2000
05-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Cubs stink. Nice to have offense, defense, and pitching really do their job this weekend. Also nice to be back to .500.

Soxman219
05-20-2012, 05:24 PM
BP Cup champs for the 3rd year in a row! We're talking dynasty right now!

Seriously though, nice sweep of the Flubs, now time to make a run.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2012, 05:25 PM
How sweep it is!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Frontman
Back to .500, and welcome back Adam Dunn!!!!

I noticed Fox's graphic yesterday about Dunn being behind only Pujols in home runs since 2004. Had Dunn even had an average year last season, he would of been pretty close to even with Albert.

Nice to see good baseball out of the Sox. Now, enough of this AAA teams, bring on a challenge!!! :wink:

Foulke You
Sweep feels good. This Cubs team is awful though. Easily the worst team we've faced all year but I will definitely take it. The L Flag got lots of use on the North Side this weekend.:D:

Rikirk
05-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Peavy was excellent, and so were the bats...

Lets see more of this.

:)

dwitt76
05-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Finally sweep those bums. Seems we get close the past couple years only to let it slip away

ChiSoxGal85
05-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Always nice to beat the Cubs. Peavy was great; Dunn and Beckham providing an effective 2-3 punch; Flowers - wow, what a bomb.

Now...can we please transfer the winning over to the Cell? Please?

October26
05-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Someone get me a broom. :gulp:

Soox win! Sox win! Sox win! :bandance::bandance::bandance:Here you go: :sweep:sweep:sweep

Lip Man 1
05-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Third sweep (second at Wrigley) overall for the Sox in this series.

Nice to be back even.....now comes the dreaded playing at home situation.

The Twins are crappy, they are perpetual losers (especially this year) even the Sox should be able to take care of them and get back over the .500 mark.....right? :?:

Lip

LongLiveFisk
05-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Awesome sweep. :D:

And the Cubs are very, very bad.

voodoochile
05-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I think Selig had it wrong. The Sox need to play the flubbies at least 85 times a year.

:sweep

:soxwin:

:)

:moonwalk:

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2012, 05:32 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa8HuwxwgnlbFZm8NPGLKHZVJ4UYc2M bdMSL6cTXDEM6JojF7E

Soxman219
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Third sweep (second at Wrigley) overall for the Sox in this series.

Nice to be back even.....now comes the dreaded playing at home situation.

The Twins are crappy, they are perpetual losers (especially this year) even the Sox should be able to take care of them and get back over the .500 mark.....right? :?:

Lip

The Sox don't have Ozzie kissing Gardy's behind anymore and the Twins are abysmal, so they should be more aggressive against them.

TomBradley72
05-20-2012, 05:34 PM
A nice accomplishment for the "Robin Ventura" White Sox- a road sweep is always nice and this can energize the White Sox fan base a little- BUT they need to keep it up and take at least 2/3 from Minn- setting up a nice early season weekend vs. Cleveland.

Viciedo seems to really be settling in as a LF and with the bat as well-

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
The Sox don't have Ozzie kissing Gardy's behind anymore and the Twins are abysmal, so they should be more aggressive against them.

I don't know what they did today but they had won 4
in a row.

EDIT: Brewers pounding them 16-4 in the 9th.

voodoochile
05-20-2012, 05:37 PM
The BP Cup is ours!!!! :bliss:

04854XqcfCY

LMAO!

POTW! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=4261)

Foulke You
05-20-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't know what they did today but they had won 4
in a row.

EDIT: Brewers pounding them 16-4 in the 9th.
Jason Marquis pitched that game and lasted only about 1 2/3 innings. Too bad we are going to miss seeing him this week.

TheOldRoman
05-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Sweep feels good. This Cubs team is awful though. Easily the worst team we've faced all year but I will definitely take it. The L Flag got lots of use on the North Side this weekend.:D:They are, but the Sox have had a tendency to play down to competition over the past few years. They have also played down to the Cubs many times during this series. It was good to see them stomp on the throats.

Seriously, though, the Cubs are bad bad. Peavy was not on at all today. As sloppy as he was, he only gave up three hits. Thornton and Crain went walk crazy, and yet we still shut them out. As good as it was to see our pitchers get the outs, we would have given up some runs if we were facing a respectable team. Regardless, great to sweep these losers. Let's keep it up against the Twins and stay above .500 the rest of the year.

Boondock Saint
05-20-2012, 05:48 PM
They are, but the Sox have had a tendency to play down to competition over the past few years. They have also played down to the Cubs many times during this series. It was good to see them stomp on the throats.

Seriously, though, the Cubs are bad bad. Peavy was not on at all today. As sloppy as he was, he only gave up three hits. Thornton and Crain went walk crazy, and yet we still shut them out. As good as it was to see our pitchers get the outs, we would have given up some runs if we were facing a respectable team. Regardless, great to sweep these losers. Let's keep it up against the Twins and stay above .500 the rest of the year.

He wasn't sloppy, he only allowed five baserunners in six and a third innings. He wasn't terribly efficient with his pitches, but he wasn't sloppy. Also, the strike zone was bad.

SI1020
05-20-2012, 05:51 PM
He wasn't sloppy, he only allowed five baserunners in six and a third innings. He wasn't terribly efficient with his pitches, but he wasn't sloppy. Also, the strike zone was bad. When isn't it anymore? It's getting ridiculous and Selig and Co need to notice it and correct it.

Dan H
05-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I went to a Cub fan web site to catch some comments. They said Beckhan was lousy, hoped for Peavy's arm to fall off, and laced into Hawk. One Cub fan wanted his team to forfiet the rest of the season. It was great reading.

Golden Sox
05-20-2012, 05:54 PM
1) Sox Sweep!, Sox Sweep!, Holy Cow, Sox Sweep! 2 ) I don't watch the bad guys from the northside. First of all, I hate them and secondly I have better things to do. Now that I have seen the White Sox win a World Series in my lifetime, I have another major wish. I'm hoping to see the White Sox sweep the Cubs all 6 games in the same year that the White Sox make the playoffs. I' m also hoping that the Cubs end up in last place losing 100 games. And after watching this series, this can actually happen this year. If the White Sox can upgrade the third base position, I don't see why we can't get in the playoffs this year. I knew before this series that the Cubs were bad, but even i didn't think they were this bad. I think they have the potential to finish in last place and losing 100 games.

TheOldRoman
05-20-2012, 05:57 PM
He wasn't sloppy, he only allowed five baserunners in six and a third innings. He wasn't terribly efficient with his pitches, but he wasn't sloppy. Also, the strike zone was bad.Yeah, he didn't walk too many. I meant that he was sloppy in that he couldn't put guys away and threw too many pitches because of it. I think if they were facing a respectable offense, they might have made him pay. And, yes. The strike zone was pretty bad.

Boondock Saint
05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Yeah, he didn't walk too many. I meant that he was sloppy in that he couldn't put guys away and threw too many pitches because of it. I think if they were facing a respectable offense, they might have made him pay. And, yes. The strike zone was pretty bad.

I think he could have gone eight innings easy if the ump would have ever given him the outside strike on lefties.

Frontman
05-20-2012, 06:02 PM
"This just in...... The Protestors are now moving towards the Wrigley Field area, apparently they heard that bear cubs were being slaughtered for the last 3 days!"

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/will-ferrell-ron-burgundy-dreamworks.jpg

amsteel
05-20-2012, 06:02 PM
They said Beckhan was lousy, hoped for Peavy's arm to fall off, and laced into Hawk.

Other than wishing ill on Peavy, that could also be this site.

Foulke You
05-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I think he could have gone eight innings easy if the ump would have ever given him the outside strike on lefties.
Agreed. The ump's zone was pretty awful all game. He missed some pitches for Crain too. Eric Cooper is usually a decent ump so maybe he just had a bad game.

SI1020
05-20-2012, 06:06 PM
I went to a Cub fan web site to catch some comments. They said Beckhan was lousy, hoped for Peavy's arm to fall off, and laced into Hawk. One Cub fan wanted his team to forfiet the rest of the season. It was great reading. You're right it was a hoot, even with very little traffic on the thread. This was a real nice weekend, lousy opponent or not.

soxfanreggie
05-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Great way to end the weekend with a road sweep of the Cubs. Whether you beat the Mariners, Tigers, Cubs, or Pirates, a win is a win. It is just a little bit sweeter for us fans though with some bragging rights over our friends and relatives with allegiance to the North Side ball club.

Great job today guys!

kittle42
05-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Went to all three games and of course loved it.

But I got excited maybe three times the whole weekend. Bleachers Friday and Sunday were almost empty in the corners.

Do we all just not care this year? I, myself, live right by Wrigley and just went home after. As recently as two years ago, I'd have been dancing in the streets.

ElevenUp
05-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Great job all around. Hopefully the Sox bats will start heating up with the weather. Now on to the Twins...

Frontman
05-20-2012, 06:41 PM

But I got excited maybe three times the whole weekend. Bleachers Friday and Sunday were almost empty in the corners.

Do we all just not care this year? I, myself, live right by Wrigley and just went home after. As recently as two years ago, I'd have been dancing in the streets.

I don't think its that, I think its more a case of putting things into perspective. Yeah, great to sweep the Cubs, but its only 3 out of 162. The Sox are a team with some holes, and those holes didn't disappear because they won.

Nice to get back to .500, but hopefully the winning streak doesn't stop soon.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Kittle:

It's been a long time since 2005, 2006 and 2008. That tends to dampen the enthusuasm.

If this team can get to five or six games over .500 I think you'll see things start to pick up. Till them fans are taking a wait and see approach.

Lip

TDog
05-20-2012, 06:44 PM
No Konerko. No DH. No problem. Of course, no Cubs runs. The only hit the Cubs got with a runner in scoring position the entire series was by Friday's starting pitcher. And while it tied the game, the same pitcher immediately gave up the lead when he went back to the mound. The

Really a nice game today, very well played by the Whtie Sox. Pregame comments on the lineup were negative (I think someone called it "inexcusable" or words to that effect), but the Sox began to score the second time through the order. Flowers, who must have trouble with his timing as little as he plays, had his best offensive day of the season. I wonder how much of his difficulty hitting this year is due to getting so little playing time behind Pierzynski.

Today, as Friday, Beckham homered to put the White Sox ahead for good. Later he got the fly ball with one out and a runner on third. Dunn seemed more dangerous this weekend against the Cubs, who certainly pitched him carefully. Viciedo hit well after taking Konerko's place. Danks and Peavy had shutout starts, bouncing back from poor outings against the Tigers. It was a nice way to cap off a series where the underdog team has been known to play like it has something to prove.

Happily, the Indians were losing two of three to the Marlins, despite coming into the weekend on a roll. Now all the teams in the division have a losing home record. I thought the Pirates were going to take today's game in Detroit, but the Tigers pulled it out late with enough insurance to escape with a one-run win to take the series.

I don't know that this team is bound for the postseason, but, it seems to be a contender.

SoxSpeed22
05-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Before we would take the first three and lose the third, usually in the most ass way possible, but that was not the case today. I like that hitters are able to make adjustments the second time around.

soxfanatlanta
05-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Nice to see the Sox go into the friendly confines, and take a big dump on the Cubbie's sofa.

Nice, indeed.

Hitmen77
05-20-2012, 07:05 PM
The first Sox sweep at Wrigley since the Mike Caruso era, right?

I noticed that there were a ton of sea gulls sitting on the outfield in the 9th inning. I guess they were waiting for Cubs fans to start throwing garbage on the field. :tongue:

I expect all the Cubs fans I know to be very silent this week....as if no games were played this weekend.

hawkjt
05-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I was not excited with AJ being left out of the lineup today,as hot as he is right now,but Tyler made me eat crow...nice bomb,Tyler!!

I am not about to concede that our pitchers would have given up runs to a better team...it is all about the team we are playing this day,and they did not..so,great job,Jake,Matt,Addison and Jesse!

Only a week ago the Cubs were playing very good ball,and I was commenting on how this week could bury the Sox with the Sunday loss to KC, the Tigers,Angels and Cubs this week...I was envisioning a 1-7 or 2-6 stretch...instead it is 5-3 and the Sox have survived that little test very well.

Now...next test..winning at home. Twins and Tribe in town this week,warm weather forecasted, should be decent crowds and good hitting weather. Hope Sox fans come out and the Sox keep hitting the ball,which is how you draw crowds.

Clearly,no ball-catchers out there in the street for Tylers Bomb..saw it bounce back up off the building above the bleacher level.

The way to draw interest from Sox fans is to keep winning,and keep hitting. I like where our offense is right now...if only PK can come back and not miss a beat from his hot streak.

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2012, 07:14 PM
What makes this sweep even nicer is the fact that the Sox never trailed in any of the games! They were able to get out of jams and tack on runs when necessary. This team took the killer instinct to the Cubs.

I'm so glad Flowers played so well...I questioned not having AJ in the lineup.

Brian26
05-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Its nice to sweep these douchebags, but I cant get too worked up about it when we've seen a World Series title in our lifetime. All that said...no sympathy for these *******s. I want the sweep at the Cell too. Don't think for a second that there would be sympathy from the other side if the shoe was on the other foot. They beat us in 2007 when half the Sox roster was on the DL and ran around the Cell like classless clowns.

Dan H
05-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Other than wishing ill on Peavy, that could also be this site.

The stupid thing about it was that the lousy Beckham did all right against the Cubs. And Sox fans are smart enough not to praise everything assoiciated with team.

The White Sox have 120 games to prove they are a good team. Unlike Cub fans many of us Sox fans don't think the team is going to win the World Series because they win three or four in a row.

This weekend exposed the Cub organization what it is: A bad team on the field that is run by a bunch of amatuers. The gulls are starting to outnumber the fans. And all the Cub fans have to hold onto is the hope savior Theo delivers them from this mess. Good luck with that, Cub fans. Meanwhile I am hoping the White Sox can have a decent season. Cub fans have so such hope.

Brian26
05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
A cool photo of Robin and the team with the Cup:

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-game-3-chicago-cubs-white-sox-photos/tablet-chi-cubsmore520120520155355.jpg

Moses_Scurry
05-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Its nice to sweep these douchebags, but I cant get too worked up about it when we've seen a World Series title in our lifetime. All that said...no sympathy for these *******s. I want the sweep at the Cell too. Don't think for a second that there would be sympathy from the other side if the shoe was on the other foot. They beat us in 2007 when half the Sox roster was on the DL and ran around the Cell like classless clowns.

There you have it. What's the point in giving a **** about the Sox vs. cubs series anymore? Until the cubs win a title, we as fans have the Ace of trump. The cubs could run off the next 5 or 6 BP Cups in a row, and it really wouldn't matter. As long as 2005 is still within a decade or so, we have the bragging rights. I am very happy the Sox swept the cubs, but I would also be very happy if the Sox swept the A's or the Royals or the Mariners. I would be even happier if they swept the Indians or Tigers ... in back-to-back 4 game series.

fisk4ever
05-20-2012, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=soxnut1018;2933006]The BP Cup is ours!!!! :bliss:

Don't we have to win a fourth game to take the coveted Cup? Or, in the case of a 3-3 split, win the final game?

Railsplitter
05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
:bandance::gulp:

What a weekend

JB98
05-20-2012, 08:24 PM
The Cubs are just an atrocious team. Maybe the lousiest Cubbie team I've seen in my lifetime, and they've most definitely had some lousy ones before.

That said, I'm glad the Sox took care of them three straight. No playing down to the level of the competition this weekend. The Sox never trailed in the series and dominated two of the three games. Would like to see a few more strikes thrown by a couple pitchers out of the bullpen, but that's really the only criticism about today.

Solid win. Solid weekend. The off day will be enjoyable. Need to turn things around at home this week with two divisional opponents coming in.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2012, 08:33 PM
The Cubs are just an atrocious team. Maybe the lousiest Cubbie team I've seen in my lifetime, and they've most definitely had some lousy ones before.

That said, I'm glad the Sox took care of them three straight. No playing down to the level of the competition this weekend. The Sox never trailed in the series and dominated two of the three games. Would like to see a few more strikes thrown by a couple pitchers out of the bullpen, but that's really the only criticism about today.

Solid win. Solid weekend. The off day will be enjoyable. Need to turn things around at home this week with two divisional opponents coming in.

I remember some very lousy Cub teams during the 50 and 60s and the College of Coaches. They were a real joke back then and what made it better was that we were contenders almost every year with 17 straight winning seasons.

JB98
05-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I remember some very lousy Cub teams during the 50 and 60s and the College of Coaches. They were a real joke back then and what made it better was that we were contenders almost every year with 17 straight winning seasons.

That was before I was born. I'm 35, soon to be 36. I would compare this year's Cubs to those of 2006. Those guys were 96 losses bad. This Cubs team looks like it might be worse.

ZombieRob
05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
That was before I was born. I'm 35, soon to be 36. I would compare this year's Cubs to those of 2006. Those guys were 96 losses bad. This Cubs team looks like it might be worse.
I remember the late 70's and 1980 81' team the worst Cub teams I have ever seen.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2012, 08:45 PM

When Leo D. took over after the 65 season he said this is not an 8th place club, he was right, ln 1966 they lost 103 games and finished 10th.

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Don't we have to win a fourth game to take the coveted Cup? Or, in the case of a 3-3 split, win the final game?
They changed it where the Sox will continue retaining it until the Cubs have a season with a winning record against us. I'd imagine the Cup will stay on the south side for a LONG time.

Noneck
05-20-2012, 09:15 PM
In order to compete a team should always take care of the chump teams. They did this series and hopefully more down the line.

fram40
05-20-2012, 09:16 PM
When Leo D. took over after the 65 season he said this is not an 8th place club, he was right, ln 1966 they lost 103 games and finished 10th.

One of the all-time great quotes

cards press box
05-20-2012, 09:29 PM

No doubt, this is one of worst Cub teams that I have ever seen and I have been watching baseball since the early '70's.

Absolutely right. It would nice to see the Sox play well against the Twins and the Indians. But for the moment, it's also nice to say:

:winner

GlassSox
05-20-2012, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=Frontman;2933039]"This just in...... The Protestors are now moving towards the Wrigley Field area, apparently they heard that bear cubs were being slaughtered for the last 3 days!"

:rolling:

TDog
05-20-2012, 09:42 PM

That's true, but in 1967, the Cubs won 89 games and finished third, and in 1968, the White Sox were playing some of their home games in Milwaukee.

I don't think the Cubs are as bad as their record indicates they are this year, and I think fans should be giving the White Sox more credit. But having been abused by Cubs fans my entire life because I root for the White Sox, I like to see the Cubs lose, especially to the White Sox. Cubs fans will pretend these games don't matter as much as their series against the Red Sox because of their history, but that would be a lie.

I would love to see the Cubs sweep the Tigers and Twins in June, though. I would even like to see them beat the Red Sox before getting beaten up on the South Side.

Viva Medias B's
05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
I thought the 1994 Cubs were horrible. Remember when then manager Tom Trebelhorn held the meeting with fans outside the fire house on Waveland Avenue?

slavko
05-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Dim memory of reading this somewhere, but they went 2-1/2 years in the 50's without winning 3 in a row. Talk about bad. Just as the Sox were getting good.

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2012, 10:28 PM
This is how we play pinata on the South Side!

Brian26
05-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Resident mope, Dale Sveum, says it doesn't get any worse than getting swept by the White Sox at home. Actually, it could be worse....if someone invented a time machine to bring Sveum's 1990 Brewers (74-88) to town for a three game sweep in Wrigley, with Sveum leading the charge with his mighty batting average that year of .197.

Enjoy your time holding that seat warm until Francona gets over his pill problem and wants to manage again, Mendoza.

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Resident mope, Dale Sveum, says it doesn't get any worse than getting swept by the White Sox at home. Actually, it could be worse....if someone invented a time machine to bring Sveum's 1990 Brewers (74-88) to town for a three game sweep in Wrigley, with Sveum leading the charge with his mighty batting average that year of .197.

Enjoy your time holding that seat warm until Francona gets over his pill problem and wants to manage again, Mendoza.
He really said that? So, he thinks the Sox are the Cubs' biggest rival? Wouldn't it be worse if this were the Cards or Brew Crew doing what the Sox did this weekend to the Cubs?

Brian26
05-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Sveum just said they need to do better "against the medicore 3, 4 and 5 starters on other teams."

Humber (5), Peavy (1) and Danks (2).

This guy is a moron.

doublem23
05-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Sveum just said they need to do better "against the medicore 3, 4 and 5 starters on other teams."

This guy is a moron.

He's just hamming it up for his constituency.

tstrike2000
05-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Agreed. The ump's zone was pretty awful all game. He missed some pitches for Crain too. Eric Cooper is usually a decent ump so maybe he just had a bad game.

I couldn't believe how bad he was, for the entire game. Reed had a couple of fastballs that were belt high and had the entire plate and Cooper called them both balls.

Frontman
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM

This guy is a moron.

I would of loved for a reporter to respond:

"Of course you should, but what about this series?"

tstrike2000
05-20-2012, 11:56 PM

This guy is a moron.

He sounds like he's either on sedatives or imitating an airline pilot before takeoff.

Brian26
05-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I would of loved for a reporter to respond:

"Of course you should, but what about this series?"

Dionne Miller on Fox 32 doesnt look like she can name more than ten people on either baseball roster. What a joke that show is.

samurai_sox
05-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Adam ****ing Dunn was in Beast Mode this weekend, Beckham has actually looked liked a major leaguer and how about that monster shot Flowers had today?

:gulp:

Brian26
05-21-2012, 12:20 AM
From Mark Gonzalez' crappy phone

https://p.twimg.com/AtXl96KCMAAm3dl.jpg:large

TheVulture
05-21-2012, 12:22 AM

This guy is a moron.

Based on what I saw this series, Sveum is a horrible manager. Every move he made went wrong. Sure, that will happen with a crap team, but you could see his moves going wrong before the plays even happened. Seeing this guy, I hope Sox fans are grateful to have someone like Ventura in the captain's seat.

TheVulture
05-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Beckham has actually looked liked a major leaguer

I think it has already been established Beckham can hit AAA pitching. Let's see what happens when he has to face major league pitching again.

sullythered
05-21-2012, 01:02 AM
At some point I need to get an answer as to what really happened to Adam Dunn last year. Unprecedented drop in performance, and now right back to the player he always was. My thought is that it had to be the appendectomy, but no one is saying that that is the case.

Noneck
05-21-2012, 01:10 AM
At some point I need to get an answer as to what really happened to Adam Dunn last year. Unprecedented drop in performance, and now right back to the player he always was. My thought is that it had to be the appendectomy, but no one is saying that that is the case.

Or some personal problems. I never remember someone dropping from so high to so very low and then back up again, without a reason why.

DrCrawdad
05-21-2012, 01:42 AM
I went to a Cub fan web site to catch some comments. They said Beckham was lousy, hoped for Peavy's arm to fall off, and laced into Hawk. One Cub fan wanted his team to forfeit the rest of the season. It was great reading.

Cubs fans over at BCB (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/) comment more about Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson then they do about Andre "The Hawk" Dawson. And it's not just during the Crosstown games either.

The first Sox sweep at Wrigley since the Mike Caruso era, right?

I noticed that there were a ton of sea gulls sitting on the outfield in the 9th inning. I guess they were waiting for Cubs fans to start throwing garbage on the field. :tongue:

I expect all the Cubs fans I know to be very silent this week....as if no games were played this weekend.

Cubbie fans mantra used to be:

Sox win: "These games are the World Series for Sox fans..."

IF the Cubs win a series (or heck, even a game): Dance in the streets, wave the "W" flag (even at The Cell) and sing their dopey song.

TDog
05-21-2012, 01:48 AM

This guy is a moron.

Has anyone mentioned recently that the first season after the White Sox let Dale Sveum go they won the AL West for the first time in a decade?

doublem23
05-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Has anyone mentioned recently that the first season after the White Sox let Dale Sveum go they won the AL West for the first time in a decade?

Since it probably has nothing to do with his managerial skills, I would doubt it, although I guess I feel inclined to then point out that the current and previous Sox managers were let go as players 1 and 2 seasons before the Sox won their 1st AL Central title.

CoopaLoop
05-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Why are they posing with the Cup already? What happens if the Cubs were to sweep at the Cell?

Nellie_Fox
05-21-2012, 02:25 AM
Why are they posing with the Cup already? What happens if the Cubs were to sweep at the Cell?I think that, in the case of a 3-3 tie, the team that won it last retains it. So, the Cubs needed to win 4, the Sox only needed to win 3 to keep the coveted cup.

CoopaLoop
05-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Oh, figures a silly cup would have a silly rule like that.

pudge
05-21-2012, 03:12 AM
They changed it where the Sox will continue retaining it until the Cubs have a season with a winning record against us. I'd imagine the Cup will stay on the south side for a LONG time.

That's odd. I guess I get the concept of if you want to steal the cup you have to actually win more games than the team that currently has it, but I thought the idea of the last game of a split series deciding it was pretty smart.

doublem23
05-21-2012, 03:13 AM
Why are they posing with the Cup already? What happens if the Cubs were to sweep at the Cell?

I think that, in the case of a 3-3 tie, the team that won it last retains it. So, the Cubs needed to win 4, the Sox only needed to win 3 to keep the coveted cup.

I thought the rule was that if the season series was tied 3-3 the team that won the last game wins the cup, and since almost every year the series has been 3-2 going into the final Sunday, that last game is almost assured to be for the cup.

Must have been wrong.

hawkjt
05-21-2012, 03:18 AM
These three Cub starters were all going very strong coming into this series. Dempster had a 1.74 ERA, Smarmy was just over 2, and Maholm had 5 straight strong starts....and the Cubs had been playing very well until they played those two vs Philly right before the Sox.

So, for all the Sox fans who are saying this was a rollover series for the Sox, think again. Sox shut down a decent hitting team,and knocked around some good starters. Their bullpen sucks,no doubt,but the Sox did damage to their starters.

The Twins had won 4 in a row until they had Marquis on the bump vs the brewers on Sunday,who lit him up. But the Twins are playing good ball right now,so this next series will not be easy.

Don't tell me what a teams record is...tell me how they are playing in the last ten games...and I will know if they are beatable or not.

As for Sveum, he kind of reminds me of the killer in Fargo...Buscemi's partner...who put him in the woodchipper.

doublem23
05-21-2012, 03:40 AM
I'm not sure the Cubs count as a "decent hitting team," but it was nice to get good starts from Humber and Danks who have struggled most of the season and Peavy who had a mini-meltdown last time out.

More encouraging was the offense which was overall pretty good even sans Konerko for 2.5 of 3 games.

gobears1987
05-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Sweeping the Cubs is nice. Now let's win a series at home for once.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
That's odd. I guess I get the concept of if you want to steal the cup you have to actually win more games than the team that currently has it, but I thought the idea of the last game of a split series deciding it was pretty smart.
I thought it was the opposite of smart. It was the silliest of all possible "tie breakers." You shouldn't be rewarded for trailing something and winning the last game to just tie it up. The first to 3 wins is more like it. But, unarguably the BEST "tie-breaker" would have been run differential.

I'm glad that things are the way they are now, because I don't see the Cubs winning a season series in a very long time. So, the Sox should retain it for quite a while.

cws05champ
05-21-2012, 08:21 AM
These three Cub starters were all going very strong coming into this series. Dempster had a 1.74 ERA, Smarmy was just over 2, and Maholm had 5 straight strong starts....and the Cubs had been playing very well until they played those two vs Philly right before the Sox.

So, for all the Sox fans who are saying this was a rollover series for the Sox, think again. Sox shut down a decent hitting team,and knocked around some good starters. Their bullpen sucks,no doubt,but the Sox did damage to their starters.
The Cubs had not been shut out all year before Sunday(remarkably). And we really should have had 2 shout outs in a row against them. I thought it wasn't just the Cubs playing poorly but the sox played fairly well. Most importantly they are back to .500 and back to 2nd in the division.

Big week coming up...we have to at least 4-2 against the division rivals.

TDog
05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Since it probably has nothing to do with his managerial skills, I would doubt it, although I guess I feel inclined to then point out that the current and previous Sox managers were let go as players 1 and 2 seasons before the Sox won their 1st AL Central title.

He is a former White Sox player who is just a footnote in the team's history because, with the team on the verge of a championship, he left by apparent mutual consent after he was acquired to replace Ozzie Guillen who went down with an injury. He was also a teammate of Robin Ventura, playing next to him on the infield in 1992 and making a bunch of errors and Sunday makes comments disrespecting a pitcher who has thrown a perfect game this season and a former Cy Young Award winner. You could forgive him disrespecting the Sox oipening-day starter because WSI has been all over that.

I would think the fact that he couldn't even fill Guillen's shoes as a player and has a tenuous grasp of baseball history might be mentioned in postgame comments in a forum where I read many times in recent years complaints that Guillen was a crappy player who was twice victimized by the hidden-ball trick.

JB98
05-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure the Cubs count as a "decent hitting team," but it was nice to get good starts from Humber and Danks who have struggled most of the season and Peavy who had a mini-meltdown last time out.

More encouraging was the offense which was overall pretty good even sans Konerko for 2.5 of 3 games.

They do not. They are a dreadful offensive team, 28th in MLB in runs scored. Only Pittsburgh and San Diego are worse.

doublem23
05-21-2012, 02:26 PM
I thought it was the opposite of smart. It was the silliest of all possible "tie breakers." You shouldn't be rewarded for trailing something and winning the last game to just tie it up. The first to 3 wins is more like it. But, unarguably the BEST "tie-breaker" would have been run differential.

The Crosstown Cup is a completely meaningless trophy, contrived solely for corporate sponsorship reasons, so to have the tiebreaker be the winner of the 6th game in a 3-3 series adds whatever amount of drama you can get. It's not like the World Series or something anyone actually cares about.

Jimmy Piersall
05-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Does anybody know the updated numbers for the City Series after yesterday ? apologies in advance in case it has already been posted somewhere and i missed it...

doublem23
05-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Does anybody know the updated numbers for the City Series after yesterday ? apologies in advance in case it has already been posted somewhere and i missed it...

Sox 48, Cubs 39

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head-games.cgi?team1=CHW&team2=CHC&from=1901&to=2012&submit=Submit

Harry Potter
05-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Sox 48, Cubs 39

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head-games.cgi?team1=CHW&team2=CHC&from=1901&to=2012&submit=Submit

Sox have won 14 of the last 18 games in the series :cool:

hawkjt
05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
They do not. They are a dreadful offensive team, 28th in MLB in runs scored. Only Pittsburgh and San Diego are worse.

I was looking at BA...they have 6 of their 8 position players hitting .270 or higher,with 3 over .300.

The Sox have only 4 of 9 starting hitters over .270..with only PK and AJ over .300.

Now, after the Sox shut them down for 6 runs in 3 games,they have dipped,while the Sox have jumped up off of a solid week of hitting.

Now,scoring runs, I agree the Cubs have languished.
They stink,but not as bad as they looked vs Sox pitching.

jdm2662
05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
The Crosstown Cup is a completely meaningless trophy, contrived solely for corporate sponsorship reasons, so to have the tiebreaker be the winner of the 6th game in a 3-3 series adds whatever amount of drama you can get. It's not like the World Series or something anyone actually cares about.

Seriously, it's a joke to the players, too. It was just another excuse for more sponsor money for both teams. The whole idea was stupid and amateurish. But, whatever makes the suits happy.

Now Sox, start winning home series, please.

kittle42
05-21-2012, 03:06 PM
I was looking at BA...

Proving the case that BA is less and less useless a stat.

Hitmen77
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Thousands of Lawless Thugs Riot in Chicago After Sox Sweep Cubs

:redneck

Sox 48, Cubs 39

Sox have won 14 of the last 18 games in the series :cool:

....and yet, if the Cubs win the next series against the Sox, their fans will strut around with W flags crowing about how they humiliated "the Sux".

Actually, that recent record is reminiscent to me of the pre-interleague annual Cubs-Sox exhibition games of the 1980s-1990s. If I'm not mistaken, the Sox were practically undefeated in those games. I think there was one tie.

doublem23
05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
....and yet, if the Cubs win the next series against the Sox, their fans will strut around with W flags crowing about how they humiliated "the Sux".

Any team who loses a series to this pathetic Cubs team should be humiliated

TDog
05-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Or does it prove that RBIs is a more useful stat than ever?

SI1020
05-21-2012, 04:32 PM

Or does it prove that RBIs is a more useful stat than ever? Oh man life used to be a lot simpler and less complicated. Long ago when I was still young I knew that BA and W-L record, among other stats could be deceptive and not necessarily an accurate indication of an individual player's worth. Still I would never say this stat or that stat is meaningless. Just look at all of them and also don't discount what you've seen (heresy to some) and you can usually tell who is and isn't good. W-L records can be deceptive but if you've won 511 games pitching I think you might have been pretty good. Same thing if you have over 2000 rbis. On another note baseball-reference has totally revamped its WAR ratings particularly DWAR. I tried to get a discussion going on this elsewhere on the site and failed miserably. My Q rating might be somewhere between the **** list and irrelevance but I think I'll stick around anyway. In the meantime the new stats thing seems to me to be getting from the sublime to the ridiculous.

doublem23
05-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Or does it prove that RBIs is a more useful stat than ever?

No

Nellie_Fox
05-21-2012, 04:59 PM
I thought the rule was that if the season series was tied 3-3 the team that won the last game wins the cup, and since almost every year the series has been 3-2 going into the final Sunday, that last game is almost assured to be for the cup.

Must have been wrong.I think that was just for the first year, since no one had possession of the cup. From then on, you have to win it from whoever holds it.

Lip Man 1
05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Sox have won 17 of the last 23 games vs. the Cubbie Clowns.

Lip

JB98
05-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Sox have won 17 of the last 23 games vs. the Cubbie Clowns.

Lip

It's actually 18 of 24.

They won the last three of 2008, 4-2 in 2009, 4-2 in 2010, 4-2 in 2011 and the first three in 2012.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2012, 07:08 PM
It's actually 18 of 24.

They won the last three of 2008, 4-2 in 2009, 4-2 in 2010, 4-2 in 2011 and the first three in 2012.
I still can't believe that the Cubs actually LED the interleague all-time series by 3 just 4 years ago...And now, we're almost up on them by 10! Large swing.

JB98
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
I still can't believe that the Cubs actually LED the interleague all-time series by 3 just 4 years ago...And now, we're almost up on them by 10! Large swing.

The Cubs led 33-30 after they swept at Wrigley the first series in 2008. Sox got even with a sweep at the Cell the next weekend and have dominated since.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2012, 07:15 PM
The Cubs led 33-30 after they swept at Wrigley the first series in 2008. Sox got even with a sweep at the Cell the next weekend and have dominated since.
And, in the 1st 15 seasons of interleague, the Cubs only won the season series 3 times. There were 4 ties, and the Sox have won the season series 8 times! It's looking like it will be 9 after this season. The Cubs will not return the favor next month.

Are you going to patent a saying for the Cubs like your Twins slogan?

JB98
05-21-2012, 07:31 PM
And, in the 1st 15 seasons of interleague, the Cubs only won the season series 3 times. There were 4 ties, and the Sox have won the season series 8 times! It's looking like it will be 9 after this season. The Cubs will not return the favor next month.

Nah. The Cubs are so pitiful they aren't worth any sort of special slogan. To me, "104 years and counting" works just fine when describing the Cubs.

TDog
05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
No

In the NL, the Cubs rank 13th in on-base percentage and OPS, in a virtual tie for 12th in each case out of 16 teams. They rank a solid 14th in RBIs. Their only hit with a runner in scoring position this weekend against the White Sox was by the starting pitcher in Friday's game. Lack of RBIs appears to be the best indicator of the Cubs' offensive frustration among those statistics.

Maybe the Cubs should hire the Texas Rangers hitting coach to turn them into a better hitting team.

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2012, 08:38 PM

The Sux. How original. :rolleyes:

DSpivack
05-21-2012, 08:49 PM

Nah. The Cubs are so pitiful they aren't worth any sort of special slogan. To me, "104 years and counting" works just fine when describing the Cubs.

I haven't heard that phrase in quite awhile. I wonder if it just wouldn't seem right at this point, like kicking someone when they're down.

DSpivack
05-21-2012, 08:50 PM
In the NL, the Cubs rank 13th in on-base percentage and OPS, in a virtual tie for 12th in each case out of 16 teams. They rank a solid 14th in RBIs. Their only hit with a runner in scoring position this weekend against the White Sox was by the starting pitcher in Friday's game. Lack of RBIs appears to be the best indicator of the Cubs' offensive frustration among those statistics.

Maybe the Cubs should hire the Texas Rangers hitting coach to turn them into a better hitting team.

DrCrawdad
05-21-2012, 10:23 PM

It's might be easy to forget about Rudy Jaramillo since he's mentioned infrequently but when the Cubbies hired him the hype machine kicked into high gear.

doublem23
05-22-2012, 12:11 AM

Really shouldn't be news that the team that is in the bottom 1/4 of the league in putting men on base is also in the bottom 1/4 of scoring runs.

jdm2662
05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
It's might be easy to forget about Rudy Jaramillo since he's mentioned infrequently but when the Cubbies hired him the hype machine kicked into high gear.

Yet, many people on this very board wanted the Sox to hire him.

DrCrawdad
05-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Yet, many people on this very board wanted the Sox to hire him.

It's hard to ignore the hype. When you hear over and over and over about how Jaramillo is the world's greatest hitting coach you start to think there must be something to it.

SI1020
05-22-2012, 07:53 PM
It's also possible that someone could be perfectly competent at what he or she does but just doesn't fit in a particular organization. It happens in the business world all the time, and it certainly has been the case in my own work history. Sometimes you just feel comfortable and things click, and other times it's a struggle to get yourself out the door in the morning.