PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-19 Sun Rises, Sox beat Cubs 7-4, Sun Sets Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2012, 10:10 PM
It's always nice to beat the North Side pukes to get revenge for Paulie.

Zach Stewart blows.

GoGoCrede
05-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Fun stuff.

LITTLE NELL
05-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Get the brooms out, but I didn't need that 9th inning.

cws05champ
I would have really enjoyed the shutout though....

TomBradley72
Viciedo looks like he's really coming into his own- that could be huge for the offense-

Stewart = Paniagua :cool::cool:

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2012, 10:14 PM
There's a reason why Stewart is the mop up guy; glad the Sox had enough runs plated to keep him from blowing the game.

Golden Sox
05-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Sox Win!, Sox Win!, Holy Cow, Sox Win! Hopefully we'll have that broom out tomorrow.

Bucky F. Dent
05-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Dayan has found that quick powerful bat!:D:

JB98
05-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I feel like I've seen this movie before. The Sox often win the first two games of the crosstown series, only to blow the third game in some idiotic fashion.

Don't let it happen this time. This is one of the worst Cubs teams you're going to see. Kick their asses again tomorrow.

Frater Perdurabo
Along with Viciedo, Alexei is starting to get hot as well. Maybe these Cubans just need warm weather to hit. Perhaps the next renovations at the Cell should be massive propane heaters.

slavko
Dayan has found that quick powerful bat!:D:

Went through a bad period last year when they tried to make him more selective at bat. This is the Original Tank. Stewart's cannon fodder, still a nice win. Ain't they all?

soxinem1
05-19-2012, 10:18 PM
There's a reason why Stewart is the mop up guy; glad the Sox had enough runs plated to keep him from blowing the game.

If it stayed 4-0 he would have never been in......... I think.

The only scare I had was seeing Ohman warming up in the ninth. :o:

Mohoney
05-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice to see John Danks leave that game with something to build on. He was fantastic tonight.

Zakath
05-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Good thing we put up that 3 spot in the eighth.

Stewart's just not a major-league pitcher.

Nice night from Viciedo and Dunn. 4 BB and a HR.

3-5 in our lineup were 5-11, 5 R, 5 RBI, 3 HR, 4 BB, 2 K.

Peavy gets the ball tomorrow for the sweep.

ChiSoxGal85
05-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Nice game by Danks...I only saw parts of the first 5 innings but he was perfect for quite a while there. Good to see him succeed.

Love the back-to-back HRs and Dunn - 1 HR and 4 walks. Great stuff.

Let's sweep tomorrow.

soxinem1
05-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Along with Viciedo, Alexei is starting to get hot as well. Maybe these Cubans just need warm weather to hit. Perhaps the next renovations at the Cell should be massive propane heaters.

Or a humid, climate controlled domed stadium.......

Or a trade to Miami...

cheezheadsoxfan
05-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Makes sense to me.:D:

FielderJones
05-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Meh, two meaningless home runs. Stewart did exactly what you're supposed to do with a big lead -- throw strikes. I'd have been more upset if those baserunners had walked.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Meh, two meaningless home runs. Stewart did exactly what you're supposed to do with a big lead -- throw strikes. I'd have been more upset if those baserunners had walked.

Fair enough.

The difference in this game was great starting pitching, and Viciedo, AJ and Alexei making the Cubs pay for walking Dunn four times.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Stat of the Day:

JB mentioned the Sox often winning the first two games of a three game series with the Cubs yet failing to get the sweep.

It has happened...a lot.

This is the 13th time in the history of the Cubs-Sox series, the Sox have won the first two games of a three game set.

The Sox have only been able to sweep these clowns twice...once at Wrigley.

We'll see if the 13th time is a lucky charm tomorrow.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
05-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Stewart = Paniagua

Teal implied?

This.

hawkjt
05-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Nice solid win. Tank is hot. AJ is hot. Dunn is warm, PK was red-hot, Alejandro is warm, Alexei is warm,and Alex is luke warm...that is enough to score enough runs.

Maholm has been good lately,and Sox stink vs lefties...so tomorrow looms as a tough game. Jake has to be razor sharp.

As for Stewart....up 7-0,he is supposed to throw strikes,which he did. He does not have dynamic stuff,but I will not quickly forget his big outing that saved the game on Monday vs the Tigers.

Tomorrow will be when the fatigue of the trip west really hammers the Sox...fight thru it,and get a day off on Monday,Sox.

vinny
05-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Glad to see Danks pitch out of some jams and not give up any runs.

Did anybody notice on the Soriano HR that a young Sox fan got it threw it back on the field? Nice.

ChiSoxGirl
05-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I feel like I've seen this movie before. The Sox often win the first two games of the crosstown series, only to blow the third game in some idiotic fashion.

Don't let it happen this time. This is one of the worst Cubs teams you're going to see. Kick their asses again tomorrow.

This would be preferred, considering tomorrow is my TBGR day!

That home run by Dunn was absolutely killed.

While the shutout would've made the victory sweeter, at least we hung on and got the win. At least Robin didn't go to Stewart yesterday when the Sox only had a one-run lead. Let's hope he doesn't trot the top-to-bottom Sunday lineup out there tomorrow; we need to sweep the Cubs!

guillensdisciple
05-19-2012, 10:51 PM
My guy viciedo doing work lately and I love it. Looks like we have a good 3-5 when konerko returns.

TDog
05-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Good thing we put up that 3 spot in the eighth.

Stewart's just not a major-league pitcher. ...

Yet in his last game, when the Sox needed him to hold the Tigers, he came in in relief of Danks with two on and none out in the fourth losing 5-2 and left the game three shutout innings later as the pitcher of decision in a 7-5 win. Tonight he had a bad inning when it didn't matter in a Sox win. Tonight, the runs were cosmetic.

A great start tonight by Danks, who hasn't been turning in enough of those this season. The ninth just reminded us that the Cubs aren't automatic outs.

I was most impressed with Viciedo taking Konerko's place. And he actually did his impression of the maturing dangerous Konerko before doing his impression of Paulie GDIP later in the game. In victory its sort of cute.

The Pierzynski home run, I believe, was the first since the WSI thread about his impressive power season.

Dick Allen
05-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Don't let it happen this time. This is one of the worst Cubs teams you're going to see. Kick their asses again tomorrow.Last year, they took the first two games at the Urinal, only to lose to the immortal Rodrigo Lopez on Sunday.

By the way, I'd ship Stewart's ass out tonight. And the rest of him for that matter. :redneck. A HR to Joe Mather? Really?

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2012, 11:00 PM
After featuring Wood's retirement ceremony, WGN News at Nine shows the three Sox homers and a Danks strikeout, but the only postgame interview clips they show are from Sveum and Dempster. One would think TribCo still owned the Cubs; the Sox might as well be the Pittsburgh Pirates given the amount of attention they got.

I loathe the pro-Cubs news media.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Zach Stewart blows.

Meh, when you got a 7-run lead in the 9th inning, just challenge the hitters and just throw strikes. Worst thing you can do is start trying to paint corners and giving up walks and working your way into jams.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Any chance we can just stay in the NL? :tongue: Or just play the Cubs another 70 times? :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Meh, when you got a 7-run lead in the 9th inning, just challenge the hitters and just throw strikes. Worst thing you can do is start trying to paint corners and giving up walks and working your way into jams.

Throwing strikes is great, but his strikes get pounded.

hawkjt
05-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Caught Dempster(#2 in the NL with a 1.74 ERA) on an off nite,evidently.

Thank god for Stewart or the Sox fans would have nothing to complain about and that would not be right.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Throwing strikes is great, but his strikes get pounded.

Eh, has been mentioned, his last outing he threw three scoreless innings against a much better offense (Detroit) in which he allowed only a single hit, walk, and punched out a pair.

I'm not going to worry too much about a guy pumping pitches right over the plate with a 7 run lead in the 9th inning against a bad team.

Brian26
05-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Escobar let a playable ball get through late in the game. Offensively he looks like Joey Cora light. I wonder if Dan Johnson is worth a look at the hot corner.

Frater Perdurabo
I'm not worrying, either. That doesn't mean he's good, though. There's a reason he's the mop up guy, and we saw it tonight.

Johnny Mostil
Caught Dempster(#2 in the NL with a 1.74 ERA) on an off nite,evidently.

Thank god for Stewart or the Sox fans would have nothing to complain about and that would not be right.

Is it just my imagination that Dempster doesn't do particularly well against the Sox? (Maybe it is: his numbers against them do appear to be a little worse than against other teams, but not dramatically so.)

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2012, 11:21 PM
It's always nice to beat the North Side pukes to get revenge for Paulie.

Zach Stewart blows.
I thought the best part of the whole game is how great Paulie's lineup replacement did. Well played game, Tank! That's how you get real revenge!
Was the Mike Caruso game REALLY the only time we've swept a series at Wrigley?

Fact: Sox have widened their interleague series gap on the Cubs to 47-39.

DrCrawdad
05-19-2012, 11:21 PM

Stat of the Day:

JB mentioned the Sox often winning the first two games of a three game series with the Cubs yet failing to get the sweep.

It has happened...a lot.

This is the 13th time in the history of the Cubs-Sox series, the Sox have won the first two games of a three game set.

Lip

Hopefully that trend ends tomorrow. No fielding a sub-par Sunday lineup, as was the MO for Ozzie and Jerry Manuel.

Agreed. I wanted a shut-out so I didn't like the HR's but the Sox won and it didn't make for much drama.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 11:24 PM
FWIW, the Cubs' WE (Win Expectancy; odds of winning the game based on the score, inning, situation, etc.) in the 9th inning never got higher than 0.3% so it really didn't matter.

http://www.fangraphs.com/livewins.aspx?date=2012-05-19&team=Cubs&dh=0&season=2012

gosox41
05-19-2012, 11:36 PM

Don't forget tomorrow is Sunday so we have to have our C Line Up in the game.

I absolutey hate that, for what it's worth.

Bob

Lip Man 1
05-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Fanatic:

That's correct. The Caruso home run sealed the only time the Sox swept the Cubs at Wrigley, they also swept them once a few years ago at U.S. Cellular.

Very hard in this type situation to sweep a team, personal pride comes into play.

And by the way the Sox have now won 17 of the last 23 games against the Clowns dating back to 2008.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Gosox:

Nothing wrong with a C lineup...if they can actually play. That's been the rub though...generally they can't.

Lip

Zakath
05-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Fanatic:

That's correct. The Caruso home run sealed the only time the Sox swept the Cubs at Wrigley, they also swept them once a few years ago at U.S. Cellular.

Very hard in this type situation to sweep a team, personal pride comes into play.

And by the way the Sox have now won 17 of the last 23 games against the Clowns dating back to 2008.

Lip

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head-games.cgi?team1=CHW&team2=CHC&from=1997&to=2012 for all of the games.

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Fanatic:

Lip
I remember that. It took the sting out of being swept at Wrigley that same season.

I think the Sox have some venom with the whole Konerko situation. They looked like they were playing for him tonight. Let's hope they take more jabs at the Cubs tomorrow in the form of nice hitting.

cards press box
05-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Sox Win!, Sox Win!, Holy Cow, Sox Win! Hopefully we'll have that broom out tomorrow.

That would be great but for tonight, it's great to say:

:winner

Foulke You
05-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Stat of the Day:

It has happened...a lot.

Lip
I was thinking the same thing Lip. If memory serves, this will also be the fifth straight chance we've had to sweep them too. Pretty sure 2010 and 2011 saw us take the first two, only to fail to nail the coffin shut at both ballparks. Maholm is exactly the type of pitcher that gives us fits. Soft tossing lefty we haven't faced since 2007 in a loss at PNC Park where he dazzled us. (I unfortunately attended that game.) Peavy will be on the bump against this bad Cubs team, and even with a Sunday lineup, this is a game you should win. It would be nice to keep the L flag flying for a third day.

TheOldRoman
05-20-2012, 03:26 AM
The games against the Cubs have always been harder-fought than they needed to be. More often than not over the past 15 years, the Sox were the better team. In 2007 and 1998, the Sox were really bad and the Cubs were good, and the the Cubs won both years 5-1 and 3-0 respectively. However, when the Sox were much better than the Cubs (2000, 05, 06, 10) they always found a way to lose 1-2 games they absolutely shouldn't have. Hopefully that changes this year. The Sox, for all their faults, are MUCH better than this Cubs team. Let's sweep these losers and get back to .500.

hawkjt
05-20-2012, 03:36 AM
With the lefty Maholm going tomorrow,who can Robin actually plug in besides Flowers for AJ? I suppose Lilly for Escobar at third? Fukadome is not going in vs a lefty,and we have no replacement for Dunn,so not many options. I hope he leaves AJ in there,he is hot,and he loves hitting at Wrigley...and there is a day off on monday.

Sox have struggled all year vs lefties.....not good.

kufram
05-20-2012, 06:32 AM
I understand people wanting to beat the Cubs, stomp them into the ground, and water their grave naturally.... city rivalry and all, but to me the Cubs are just another team that I want the White Sox to beat.

It is hard for any MLB team to beat any other MLB team 3 games in a row. It just is.

The Sox have won 17 of the last 23, taken the last 8 series, and own the overall record fairly convincingly if I am not mistaken. That is good enough for me.... if they could own Central rivals like that I'd be even happier.

Just saying. I want a sweep tonight because I can watch live. I'm that selfish. I was up til 3:00 am last night watching... luckily gave up after the top of the 9th, but I don't care that Stewart gave up runs... he needed some work and it didn't matter. I want him to be good when a game is on the line. That's mop up.

Zakath
05-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Sox have struggled all year vs lefties.....not good.

vs. LH: 64-313, 31 R, 12 2B, 3 3B, 8 HR, 31 RBI, 38 BB, 73 K, .204 AVG, .295 OBP, .634 OPS - lowest AVG vs. lefties in MLB

vs. RH: 280-1079, 137 R, 43 2B, 5 3B, 35 HR, 132 RBI, 93 BB, 257 K, .259 AVG, .322 OBP, .728 OPS - 12th in MLB in AVG

What makes no sense of all of this is that the usual lineup has 6 right-handed hitters and only 3 lefties (De Aza, Dunn, Pierzynski). Out of our usual nine:

Konerko: .367; .389 vs. RH, .303 vs. LH
Pierzynski: .301; .296 vs. RH, .321 vs. LH
De Aza: .284; .339 vs. RH, .108 vs. LH :o:
Rios: .267; .287 vs. RH, .194 vs. LH
Viciedo: .248; .242 vs. RH, .269 vs. LH
Dunn: .246; .283 vs. RH, .163 vs. LH
Ramirez: .213; .197 vs. RH, .273 vs. LH
Beckham: .206; .223 vs. RH, .143 vs. LH
Morel: .177; .170 vs. RH, .200 vs. LH

Alejandro's drop-off is stunning. 4-37, but somehow an equal number of walks and K's (7). The fact that AJ actually hits lefties better than righties, and better than anyone else on the team (at least for this year), explains why he's catching a lot more games than usual (lifetime he's about 30 points better vs. RH than LH).

C-Dawg
05-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Did anybody notice on the Soriano HR that a young Sox fan got it threw it back on the field? Nice.

Ha ha really? I wonder if security pounced on and ejected that person?

Dan H
05-20-2012, 08:55 AM
I understand people wanting to beat the Cubs, stomp them into the ground, and water their grave naturally.... city rivalry and all, but to me the Cubs are just another team that I want the White Sox to beat.

It is hard for any MLB team to beat any other MLB team 3 games in a row. It just is.

The Sox have won 17 of the last 23, taken the last 8 series, and own the overall record fairly convincingly if I am not mistaken. That is good enough for me.... if they could own Central rivals like that I'd be even happier.

Just saying. I want a sweep tonight because I can watch live. I'm that selfish. I was up til 3:00 am last night watching... luckily gave up after the top of the 9th, but I don't care that Stewart gave up runs... he needed some work and it didn't matter. I want him to be good when a game is on the line. That's mop up.

I agree with this completely. I cannot stand anything about the Cubs tradition starting with the Tribune shilling for the team to fans who are more than willing to put up with failure, decade after decade, century after century.

In 1999, the Sox swept the Cubs at Wrigley. We Sox fans were beside ourselves with happiness because the sweep was totally unexpected and we had little else to cheer for. But the 1999 Sox finished under .500. The sweep in the end didn't mean much.

I am still hoping that the Sox have some kind of decent 2012 season. But sweeping the Cubs won't mean much if the team goes into another tailspin. The real competiton will be who gets to the next World Series and I'd strongly prefer that to be the White Sox.

doublem23
05-20-2012, 09:28 AM
I think we're all forgetting the real accomplishment from yesterday... We're just 2 wins away from clinching our 2nd straight BP Crosstown Cup Championship!

TomBradley72
05-20-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't necessarily care about sweeping the Cubbies-but I do care that we can get to .500 today.

Coming off a week of Tigers/Angels/Cubs, a trip to the west coast and back, Paulie getting hurt, losing our DH for 3 games, etc.- to enter an off day at .500, in 2nd place with a week of Central Division games in front of us sounds good to me.

I'd like to see Robin stick with AJ today, put Lillibridge in either at 3rd or CF- and based on status of Morel and PK- I think that will be about it.

Today will be a good day for Peavy to back up the bravado and be an "ace".

October26
05-20-2012, 10:25 AM

Or a humid, climate controlled domed stadium.......

Or a trade to Miami...

This entire thread is terrific but these two comments brought a smile to my face. Frater, your post made me envision the installation of enormous propane heaters around the Cell disguised as palm trees that would be used whenever the temperature falls beneath 50 degrees (namely in April & October). Since Ramirez & Viciedo have both played in a warm, tropical climate, I'm thinking this would help to make them feel right at home. I realize my imagination is getting the best of me this morning - I need more coffee. Soxinem1, I would prefer to see Ramirez & Viciedo in a Sox uniform for as long as possible.

My guy viciedo doing work lately and I love it. Looks like we have a good 3-5 when konerko returns.

He sure is. I was delighted with the outcome of yesterday's game especially the outstanding pitching performance by John Danks and the 3 homers by Viciedo, Pierzynski, and Dunn. The Dunn homer was a thing of beauty. :D:

Really hope the Sox can get the win today - for all Sox fans - but most especially for kufram (I admire your devotion to the Sox - don't know if I could stay awake until 3AM to watch a game) and ChiSoxGirl (I admire your loyalty/talented writing). GO SOX!

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I think we're all forgetting the real accomplishment from yesterday... We're just 2 wins away from clinching our 2nd straight BP Crosstown Cup Championship!

3rd, but who's counting? :redneck

white sox bill
05-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Stewart would look good....on the first flight back to Charlotte

CoopaLoop
05-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I tell you what, Dayan Viciedo has the liveliest bat I've seen since Carlos Delgado.

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Was anyone else hoping that Danks himself would homer?

CoopaLoop
05-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Was anyone else hoping that Danks himself would homer?

I was hoping he wouldn't walk the bases loaded before giving up a homer lol.

Tragg
05-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Our haul from having the best starter at the trade deadline is looking mighty sharp. Let's keep up that ace talent evaluation, Kenny Williams.