PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Hudson to sign with the Sox

CoopaLoop
05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/orlando-hudson-to-sign-with-white-sox.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Season is saved.

russ99
05-19-2012, 05:41 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/orlando-hudson-to-sign-with-white-sox.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Season is saved.

Kenny always gets his guy. Can't hurt to have him coming off the bench.

Now move Beckham back to 3B and send Morel to AAA.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2012, 06:10 PM
If Morel's back is as bad as they say more like the DL.

Wish they had signed Hudson four or five years ago...

Lip

Boondock Saint
05-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Kenny always gets his guy. Can't hurt to have him coming off the bench.

Now move Beckham back to 3B and send Morel to AAA.

Who didn't see this post coming?

DonnieDarko
05-19-2012, 06:20 PM
If Morel's back is as bad as they say more like the DL.

Wish they had signed Hudson four or five years ago...

Lip

How's he been lately?

JB98
05-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Don't understand the point of this. He doesn't play 3B.

LITTLE NELL
05-19-2012, 06:49 PM
My wild guess is that Dan Johnson is going to be called up to play 3B and Hudson will be our utility guy with Escobar going down and Morel to the disabled list.

soxinem1
05-19-2012, 06:52 PM
I guess going from a last place team to a middling team will spark Hudson. :scratch:

KW does eventually get his man, even if it is five years too late.

Not sure how Bacon takes this. Is it a threat, or a 'Yeah, Right' moment?

Zakath
05-19-2012, 06:55 PM
How's he been lately?

Lifetime .276 hitter, but he's drop off the last few years:

2010 in Minnesota, .268.
2011 in SD, .246.
2012 in SD, .211.

Never been a big hitter, but gets about 25-30 doubles a year. Draws a fair amount of walks (40-60 a year usually) and doesn't strike out a lot (never topped 100).

palehozenychicty
05-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Typical White Sox signing. Get him when the value is ROCK BOTTOM.

WhiteSox5187
05-19-2012, 06:58 PM
This would have been a good move five years ago but now it's just silly.

JB98
05-19-2012, 07:11 PM
My wild guess is that Dan Johnson is going to be called up to play 3B and Hudson will be our utility guy with Escobar going down and Morel to the disabled list.

The problem is there is no evidence Hudson can play that role. He's never played anywhere other than 2B (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hudsoor01-field.shtml) in his 11-year career.

ChiSoxGal85
05-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Typical White Sox signing. Get him when the value is ROCK BOTTOM.
Value and probably talent, too. Maybe Hudson will be one of those feisty guys who has a resurgence after being released and then picked up by another team. At least that's what I'm hoping. Still need a longer term plan for 3rd, though...much as I've been a Morel supporter, if he can't stay healthy and hit, we need another plan.

tstrike2000
05-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Kenny getting a washed-up veteran retread? That's unlike him.

LITTLE NELL
05-19-2012, 07:18 PM
The problem is there is no evidence Hudson can play that role. He's never played anywhere other than 2B (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hudsoor01-field.shtml) in his 11-year career.

Would they move Beckham to 3B and have Hudson play 2B?

JB98
05-19-2012, 07:20 PM

I suppose they could, but why? That weakens the infield defense which is one of the few strengths this club has and doesn't make the offense significantly better. Hudson was hitting .211 at San Diego. I assume he was let go for good reason.

ChiSoxGal85
05-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Beckham's just starting to get back on track at the plate, I'd hate it if they moved him now.

I'll bet they either play Escobar at 3rd and use Hudson and Lillibridge as bench players, or put Hudson at 3rd.

LITTLE NELL
05-19-2012, 07:25 PM
I suppose they could, but why? That weakens the infield defense which is one of the few strengths this club has and doesn't make the offense significantly better. Hudson was hitting .211 at San Diego. I assume he was let go for good reason.

I agree but what are their plans for this guy, maybe he can play 3B.

JB98
05-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Wish I knew what their plans are. Seems like square peg, round hole to me. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

TomParrish79
05-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Well it has been a quiet week, we needed a reminder about how our GM could make terrible decisions.

Wedema
05-19-2012, 09:20 PM

According to Scott Merkin, he will play third and second.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 09:23 PM
This would have been a good move five years ago but now it's just silly.

It lets Morel and/or Beckham to go back to AAA and hopefully find their game; just as silly to keep them up here in a deep funk.

TomBradley72
05-19-2012, 09:23 PM
In the spirit of signing:

Ken Hill
Roberto Alomar
Ken Griffey Jr.
Manny Ramirez

doublem23
05-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Well it has been a quiet week, we needed a reminder about how our GM could make terrible decisions.

People have been bitching for weeks that Morel needed to be sent down to find his swing, this allows that to happen now.

It's one thing if he traded for an aging veteran; picking him up for nothing is a fine move.

A. Cavatica
05-19-2012, 10:00 PM
According to Scott Merkin, he will play third and second.

Now that's great range...

WhiteSox5187
05-19-2012, 10:12 PM
It lets Morel and/or Beckham to go back to AAA and hopefully find their game; just as silly to keep them up here in a deep funk.

Except that Beckham is starting to hit of late and Hudson can only play second base.

SI1020
05-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Except that Beckham is starting to hit of late and Hudson can only play second base. He's older and slower now and has played all 1268 games in the field at second. Now at this late date he's going to play third?

soxinem1
05-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Vizquel is just sitting around in TOR. Maybe we should do the Daily Double and get two guys who are old enough to collect SSI.

asindc
05-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Except that Beckham is starting to hit of late and Hudson can only play second base.

Maybe KW should have picked up Abreu instead.

Zakath
05-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Now that's great range...

Or a helluva big shift.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Then ****, what do I know, Escobar plays 3B regularly and Hudson becomes the IF sub, either way it gets Morel the **** out of town which is just fine with me. Or Hudson just sucks it up and plays 3B. Ball gets hit to you, you pick it up, and throw it to first. Got it? Good. People need to stop taking the shortview with these moves, Hudson's not here because he's the missing piece of the 2012 puzzle, he's here, I am sure, so Brent can go back to AAA and work on his swing so the Sox can hopefully salvage him as a long-term solution at 3B. Being overmatched at the MLB level's not exactly helping him out.

BTW, Beckham is starting to hit to the tune of .206/.279/.333... I've been fooled by Gordon before, I'm not exactly sold he's turned the corner yet.

You know what would actually be a stupid move? Trading a player to Boston for Kevin Youkilis's corpse.

Foulke You
05-20-2012, 12:05 AM
People have been bitching for weeks that Morel needed to be sent down to find his swing, this allows that to happen now.

It's one thing if he traded for an aging veteran; picking him up for nothing is a fine move.

Agree. I love the angst on this thread over picking up a veteran for nothing. Typical WSI cynical knee jerk. Morel is awful and hurt. Obviously this is a precursor to Morel going on the DL or AAA. This is a GOOD thing. Maybe Hudson has something left, maybe not. It won't cost us anything to find out. He isn't blocking a Longoria like prospect or anything if he does ending up playing 3B.

thomas35forever
05-20-2012, 03:11 AM
He just got released by the Padres. No reason to expect anything big here. If he provides some pop, then that's just gravy.

LITTLE NELL
05-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Story in one of the papers said that Hudson played a lot of 3B in the minors, so there you go.

soxfanreggie
05-20-2012, 08:11 AM
He just got released by the Padres. No reason to expect anything big here. If he provides some pop, then that's just gravy.

For how much we have up for him (nothing) and how much we'll play him, we can't expect a savior. If he gets us any mediocre production it will be an upgrade.

Tragg
05-20-2012, 11:00 AM
The trouble is that the Sox wed themselves to these washed up veterans when they bring them on board. It's fine to throw him out there for a couple of games...but this guy was cut from baseball's worst team, so if he can't play, cut him and try someone else.
I thought it was all Guillen. And while Oz loved his veterans who couldn't hit, Fukudome's continued presence on this team suggests it wasn't all him.

hawkjt
05-20-2012, 11:06 AM
So, I presume they are putting Morel on the disabled list to make room for Hudson? So, this is a two week experiment or until Morel gets fixed at the minor league level?

Escobar is going to get a chance to show what he can do on an everyday basis at third...he must hit some singles,and field the position.

When Morel comes back,will Hudson or Escobar go away?
I think this might be a two or three week competition between Escobar and Hudson...winner sticks,losers goes to the minors or goes home.

doublem23
05-20-2012, 11:06 AM
The trouble is that the Sox wed themselves to these washed up veterans when they bring them on board. It's fine to throw him out there for a couple of games...but this guy was cut from baseball's worst team, so if he can't play, cut him and try someone else.
I thought it was all Guillen. And while Oz loved his veterans who couldn't hit, Fukudome's continued presence on this team suggests it wasn't all him.

What is the alternative? Play Dan Johnson or Dallas McPherson 6 days a week? Not exactly a killer Plan B. Plus, Hudson is coming from San Diego, one of the most notoriously difficult places to hit, so I'll cut him some slack.

As for Fukudome, I don't know who the Sox should be playing instead... Jordan Danks? That's about it. At least Fukudome has been limited to only 45 PA this year. He's basically the 5th OF, he's not here to swing the thunder.

Wedema
05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Not a bad move picking up a veteran for nothing. It also might make Beckham realize that he needs to keep hitting or he could be back riding the buses in Charlotte.

asindc
05-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Who?

dickallen15
05-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Not a bad move picking up a veteran for nothing. It also might make Beckham realize that he needs to keep hitting or he could be back riding the buses in Charlotte.
Yeah, because there is nothing that screams you better keep hitting than signing a guy who isn't hitting what Beckham's hitting and can't play 2B with him either.

This move was made because Morel is hurt the Sox options at 3B were horrific, and Hudson costs them no players and no more money than a minor league call up. Its certainly not to send a message to Beckham who actually has been hitting pretty well lately, although not getting many breaks.

mark1529
05-20-2012, 11:25 AM
In the spirit of signing:

Ken Hill
Roberto Alomar
Ken Griffey Jr.
Manny Ramirez

:bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss:

kittle42
05-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Why does it seem like everyone expects our bench to be a bunch of awesome young guys who'd be starting if not for the even more awesome guys in the starting 9 every day?

Find me a major league team where that's the case.

NO ONE worthwhile in the minors is being held down because of Fukudome and now Hudson.

This team's minor league system sucks - yet folks always clamor for some unknown savior. He ain't coming.

Wedema
05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah, because there is nothing that screams you better keep hitting than signing a guy who isn't hitting what Beckham's hitting and can't play 2B with him either.

This move was made because Morel is hurt the Sox options at 3B were horrific, and Hudson costs them no players and no more money than a minor league call up. Its certainly not to send a message to Beckham who actually has been hitting pretty well lately, although not getting many breaks.

I can't wait to see Hudson play 3B for the first time in over 11 years.

tstrike2000
05-20-2012, 12:13 PM

You're right about the veterans that Kenny always seems to get. However, why do you keep bringing Fukudome's name up for the past couple of weeks? No, he has played well, and maybe he even isn't a great option off the bench. However, he's a fourth outfielder and has less at bats than both Brent Lillibridge and Eduardo Escobar, both of whom have a lower batting average. The bench as a whole stinks. If you want to focus on Fukudome, that's fine, but when Morel, Beckham, and Alexei are all batting .177, .206, and .213, respectively, those are the guys who need to produce. Morel is not an MLB hitter right now and I don't want to say Beckham's turned any kind of corner yet just because he's raised his average to .206.

DickAllen72
05-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Oz over played his veterans who couldn't hit. So far Ventura doesn't. Fukudome hasn't started all that much so far. I don't have a problem with over the hill former starters comprising your bench as opposed to minor leaguers.

My big question is, does Hudson have the arm to play 3B?

Tragg
05-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Oz over played his veterans who couldn't hit. So far Ventura doesn't. Fukudome hasn't started all that much so far. I don't have a problem with over the hill former starters comprising your bench as opposed to minor leaguers.

My big question is, does Hudson have the arm to play 3B?
I would just suggest that since Fukudome can't hit, give someone else a chance - he couldn't do any worse. A bench bat would be nice.

#1swisher
05-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Mark Gonzales

Rv said Hudson will play some third, hopes to arrive on tues or Wed. Morel more likely for DL, beckham to stay at second

Daryl Van Schouwen

Third base in cards for Hudson, DL for Morel.

Hudson played 242 minor-league games at third base coming up with Toronto. He has played only second base in the majors.

blog
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

hawkjt
05-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Looking at Hudson's numbers...he has 26 hits all year,but 1 homer and 5 triples!...11 rbis

Morel has 20 hits,with only 2 doubles and 5 rbis..

doublem23
05-20-2012, 02:20 PM
I would just suggest that since Fukudome can't hit, give someone else a chance - he couldn't do any worse. A bench bat would be nice.

Given Fukudome's career pinch hit numbers, I'd say it's just as likely, if not more, that he would break out of of his slump than any of the stiffs in our minor leagues would come up here and light it up. The only guys worth anything need to be playing everyday in Birmingham, Charlotte, or wherever, not riding the pine 6 days a week.

Foulke You
05-20-2012, 03:08 PM
I can't wait to see Hudson play 3B for the first time in over 11 years.
We have an outfielder playing 3B today (Lillibridge). At least Hudson is a four time gold glove infielder.

Wedema
05-20-2012, 03:28 PM
We have an outfielder playing 3B today (Lillibridge). At least Hudson is a four time gold glove infielder.

Lillibridge was a shortstop in the Braves organization and had not played one game in the outfield when the Sox acquired him before the 2009 season. He is a better option at 3B than Hudson.

doublem23
05-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Lillibridge was a shortstop in the Braves organization and had not played one game in the outfield when the Sox acquired him before the 2009 season. He is a better option at 3B than Hudson.

Except that Lillibridge is our primary 4th OF

KMcMahon817
05-20-2012, 03:53 PM

I have heard that Johnson has been playing some 3B in AAA the past few weeks but cannot seem to find confirmation of that online. Anyone know for sure?

EMachine10
05-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I have heard that Johnson has been playing some 3B in AAA the past few weeks but cannot seem to find confirmation of that online. Anyone know for sure?
He has.

Tragg
05-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Given Fukudome's career pinch hit numbers, I'd say it's just as likely, if not more, that he would break out of of his slump than any of the stiffs in our minor leagues would come up here and light it up. The only guys worth anything need to be playing everyday in Birmingham, Charlotte, or wherever, not riding the pine 6 days a week.
We'll, he's 35 years old, had a terrible stint with Cleveland last year and, obviously, dreadful this year. It may be a lot more than a slump. And he doesn't have any power in his best years. I certainly wouldn't bring up a prospect to replace him - I'm just not convinced that a AAAA player couldn't do better.

Foulke You
05-20-2012, 06:07 PM
There is a reason the Sox moved Lillibridge to outfield. He is terrible as a middle infielder.

Wedema
05-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Except that Lillibridge is our primary 4th OF

Fukudome may not be able to hit anymore but is still a solid defensive outfielder.

Brian26
05-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Its been a long time since I've heard Hawk rip into someone like he did to Fukudome today.

:hawk
"He hasn't hit the ball 20 feet all day."

:hawk
"Those are the three quickest at bats I've seen in all my 53 years in baseball."

sachin
05-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Re:Morel: I feel bad saying this, but Morel isn't major league material. He's pretty much a guaranteed inning's worth of outs and his defense ain't so hot. If that means sending him down to AAA and getting a marginally better veteran, then it's kinda no brainer...

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Re:Morel: I feel bad saying this, but Morel isn't major league material. He's pretty much a guaranteed inning's worth of outs and his defense ain't so hot. If that means sending him down to AAA and getting a marginally better veteran, then it's kinda no brainer...

If Morel needs a DL stint, then it might be wise for him to do an extended rehab assignment at Charlotte, with either Johnson or McPherson getting the call up if Hudson can't hack it.

California Sox
05-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Fukudome may not be able to hit anymore but is still a solid defensive outfielder.

If we want a solid defensive outfielder who cannot hit, I suggest JorDanks. Much better defensively than Fukudome and can pinch run.

doublem23
05-21-2012, 03:47 AM
If we want a solid defensive outfielder who cannot hit, I suggest JorDanks. Much better defensively than Fukudome and can pinch run.

OK, so you DFA Fukudome and bring up Danks. What happens if Danks gets hurt? What's next?

tstrike2000
05-21-2012, 08:28 AM
OK, so you DFA Fukudome and bring up Danks. What happens if Danks gets hurt? What's next?

And from all accounts, Danks is not an MLB caliber player. So, it's not a matter of defending Fukudome, it's there is no magical solution in AAA. Maybe they can get rid of Fukudome so we stop talking about him, but I think that just lines up the next player that isn't good that we'll be talking about.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Fukudome is a known quantity, a veteran in decline.

Danks hasn't put it together at the plate (although he's better this year than 2010 and 2011) in the minors but is better defensively and faster on the base paths. At this point, I think Danks would be a small upgrade.

TaylorStSox
05-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Fukudome is a known quantity, a veteran in decline.

Danks hasn't put it together at the plate (although he's better this year than 2010 and 2011) in the minors but is better defensively and faster on the base paths. At this point, I think Danks would be a small upgrade.
It doesn't do Danks any good to rot on the bench. You might as well let him get AB's in Charlotte.

JB98
05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
It doesn't do Danks any good to rot on the bench. You might as well let him get AB's in Charlotte.

Not exactly. He's 25 years old (soon to be 26) and playing at the AAA level for a third straight year. I wouldn't consider him a prospect who needs ABs anymore.

The most he will ever be at the MLB level is a bench guy. So, if the Sox wanted to bring him up to fill that role, I can't say I'd be bothered by that. He would almost certainly suck, just as Fukudome sucks.

Fortunately, Fukudome isn't getting enough ABs to really hurt the Sox chances anyway.

Foulke You
05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Not exactly. He's 25 years old (soon to be 26) and playing at the AAA level for a third straight year. I wouldn't consider him a prospect who needs ABs anymore.

The most he will ever be at the MLB level is a bench guy. So, if the Sox wanted to bring him up to fill that role, I can't say I'd be bothered by that. He would almost certainly suck, just as Fukudome sucks.

Fortunately, Fukudome isn't getting enough ABs to really hurt the Sox chances anyway.
Agreed. I'm not going to have too much angst about Fukudome right now. He barely plays and is mostly a late defensive sub and an occasional pinch hitter. They could always decide to add a veteran bench guy later on like they did with Hudson or simply promote from within. Mark Kotsay might be available from SD! (half teal)

doublem23
05-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Yeah, basically. The only thing Danks does it provide a slim margin of organizational depth, he's clearly good enough to be a Fukudome-esque 4th or 5th OF in the Majors, but behind him there is absolutely nothing. So if Danks provides no real improvement over Fukudome, may as well just keep Kosuke, keep Danks in AAA, and then if something happens to one of the OF we have a guy in AAA who can come up and fit in his slot. If we dump Fukudome and bring up Danks, then if something happens, the next guy in line I guess is Greg Golson? No thank you.

russ99
05-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Plus I don't see Kenny eating the cash he spent on Fukudome, he'd rather hope he can break out his bad run at some point this season and help the team.

doublem23
05-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Plus I don't see Kenny eating the cash he spent on Fukudome, he'd rather hope he can break out his bad run at some point this season and help the team.

They don't even owe him $1 million at this point, so I doubt that's a concern.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2012, 04:11 PM
My speculation as to why they are signing Hudson instead of calling up Johnson (or McPherson) right now:

1. They don't have a firm timetable for Morel's back to recover - maybe he's fine in 7 days, maybe he's out all year;

2. After the Sale fiasco, they are revealing as little information as possible about Morel's back;

3. If Johnson (or McPherson) is promoted and Morel is fine in a week or two, he may be able to refuse reassignment to Charlotte; keeping Johnson (McPherson) in Charlotte now gives the Sox an opportunity to see if Morel responds to treatment;

4. The Sox may feel better about Hudson playing third than Johnson, who has mostly played first base in his career. (McPherson probably is better defensively at third than Johnson, but doesn't have the same offensive upside.)

None of these things are mutually exclusive; all, some or none of them may or may not be the case.

A "best case" scenario would be Johnson takes to third like a duck to water, and comes up and provides a stout LH bat and league-average defense at the hot corner. Too bad we can't combine Morel's glove with Johnson's bat.

TaylorStSox
05-21-2012, 04:18 PM
My speculation as to why they are signing Hudson instead of calling up Johnson (or McPherson) right now:

1. They don't have a firm timetable for Morel's back to recover - maybe he's fine in 7 days, maybe he's out all year;

2. After the Sale fiasco, they are revealing as little information as possible about Morel's back;

3. If Johnson (or McPherson) is promoted and Morel is fine in a week or two, he may be able to refuse reassignment to Charlotte; keeping Johnson (McPherson) in Charlotte now gives the Sox an opportunity to see if Morel responds to treatment;

4. The Sox may feel better about Hudson playing third than Johnson, who has mostly played first base in his career. (McPherson probably is better defensively at third than Johnson, but doesn't have the same offensive upside.)

None of these things are mutually exclusive; all, some or none of them may or may not be the case.

A "best case" scenario would be Johnson takes to third like a duck to water, and comes up and provides a stout LH bat and league-average defense at the hot corner. Too bad we can't combine Morel's glove with Johnson's bat.
I'd guess Morel's done for an extended period and while Hudson sucks, McPherson and Johnson suck even worse.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
One more thing:

I think Ventura strongly values defense, especially in the infield. I think this explains why he has been so patient with Beckham and Morel, despite their struggles at the plate. (Whether or not you agree with this "fielding first" philosophy, it certainly contrasts with our previous manager having very little patience with young players who played good defense but struggled at the plate.) Both are excellent fielders, and I think Ventura may want to get Morel back on the field as soon as he is healthy. This probably also helps explain why Morel has not yet been placed on the DL.

JB98
05-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Agreed. I'm not going to have too much angst about Fukudome right now. He barely plays and is mostly a late defensive sub and an occasional pinch hitter. They could always decide to add a veteran bench guy later on like they did with Hudson or simply promote from within. Mark Kotsay might be available from SD! (half teal)

Yeah, there would be greater cause for angst if Fukudome was finding his way into the lineup three or four times a week. That simply isn't the case. I roll my eyes every time I see his name in the batting order, but since it's only happening once a week, I can deal with that.

Most likely, Fukudome will finish with 160-180 ABs this year. He will do little to help the team, but he won't play enough to harm the team either. It won't be like 2010 when Kotsay was inexplicably allowed to make 350+ plate appearances.

I still don't think much of this Hudson acquisition, but I guess the Sox feel like they have no other option. I doubt Hudson will hit, so I'll cross my fingers and hope he catches the ball at 3B.

Lip Man 1
05-21-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm hearing Morel's injury is going to put him on the DL for awhile...like a month or so at best.

Lip

Chez
05-21-2012, 06:47 PM
No one on our bench can hit. Even cult hero Brent Lillibridge is under .200. I don't understand the Orlando Hudson acquisition at all and would have preferred to see Dan Johnson brought up.

dickallen15
05-21-2012, 07:32 PM
No one on our bench can hit. Even cult hero Brent Lillibridge is under .200. I don't understand the Orlando Hudson acquisition at all and would have preferred to see Dan Johnson brought up.
You do know Dan Johnson hasn't hit over .200 in the major leagues since 2007 don't you? I think if Lillibridge or Fukudome were in Charlotte, they would have no problem hitting .300.

TomBradley72
05-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Call up Johnson and release Fukudome- Johnson can be a back up in OF corners and 1B/3B against tough righties and be the LH pinch hitter when needed.

Between Johnson, Lillibridge and Escobar- you'd have three guys that can play multiple positions and provide RH/LH balance off the bench.

Hudson probably won't be much of a solution at 3rd base- but he's better than any of the internal options- which should embarrass KW.

DonnieDarko
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Is Dan Johnson seriously the only internal option we have at 3B?

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Is Dan Johnson seriously the only internal option we have at 3B?

Dallas McPherson is hitting OK for the Knights

Parrothead
05-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Great another guy who can't hit.

Daver
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Dallas McPherson is hitting OK for the Knights

And he fields with his face.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Great another guy who can't hit.

If the Sox had a guy who could field well at third base and was hitting well, don't you think he'd be on the verge of being promoted, or already be on the team?

Look around, there just aren't a ton of quality third baseman out there; it's one of the harder positions to fill given the set of skills demanded (strong and accurate arm, quick instincts, stout bat).

It's easy to find sluggish sluggers who aren't good fielders; they play 1B, LF and DH. And there are a ton of guys who can play great infield defense but can't hit MLB pitching.

I happen to think you can win with a great fielding, light-hitting third baseman, provided that he can do things like bunt, sacrifice, hit to the right side, work pitchers and make productive outs. But most of the braintrust disagrees, maintaining 3B must be a "power position."

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2012, 08:47 PM
And he fields with his face.

If he's that bad, what would Johnson field with at the hot corner? His left nut?

JB98
05-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I believe McPherson just returned to the Charlotte lineup over the weekend after missing a month with an injury. Lately, he's been neither hitting OK, nor fielding with his face. He's been doing nothing baseball-related whatsoever.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2012, 08:53 PM
I believe McPherson just returned to the Charlotte lineup over the weekend after missing a month with an injury. Lately, he's been neither hitting OK, nor fielding with his face. He's been doing nothing baseball-related whatsoever.

I was looking at the stats when I posted he was hitting OK. But if he was fielding with his face previously, it would explain his DL stint as well as not doing anything baseball-related. Fielding with his face likely would make his face swell his eyes shut.

:haddock:

:stars:

JB98
05-21-2012, 09:08 PM
I was looking at the stats when I posted he was hitting OK. But if he was fielding with his face previously, it would explain his DL stint as well as not doing anything baseball-related. Fielding with his face likely would make his face swell his eyes shut.

:haddock:

:stars:

Ha! I believe McPherson was actually sidelined with an abdominal strain. Perhaps he fielded a few grounders with his stomach. Tonight, he is serving as the DH in Charlotte. (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t494&t=g_box&gid=2012_05_21_chraaa_dubaaa_1) Johnson is playing 3B.

doublem23
05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Hudson probably won't be much of a solution at 3rd base- but he's better than any of the internal options- which should embarrass KW.

Eh, probably not, 3B is a pretty thin position everywhere. Super genius GMs Billy Beane and Theo Epstein have resorted to Brandon Inge and Ian Stewart.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Eh, probably not, 3B is a pretty thin position everywhere. Super genius GMs Billy Beane and Theo Epstein have resorted to Brandon Inge and Ian Stewart.

Our best 3B "prospect" is probably Juan Silviero at Winston-Salem.

Daver
05-21-2012, 10:37 PM

Our best 3B prospect is playing second.

Brian26
05-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Josh Fields is batting .306 for the Dodgers AAA team.

FielderJones
05-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Josh Fields is batting .306 for the Dodgers AAA team.

His ability to hit AAA pitching was never in doubt.

doublem23
05-22-2012, 12:14 AM
His ability to hit AAA pitching was never in doubt.

The PCL is also a hitter's paradise

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Our best 3B prospect is playing second.

Would you rather play him at third?

DonnieDarko
05-22-2012, 08:49 AM

I had a funny dream about that last night, actually. In it, Beckham was moved to 3B, while Hudson went to 2B. Both raised their averages above .250 and within a few weeks, Beckham was on an absolute tear. So much of a tear that he was selected for the All Star Game, even. >_>

Yeah, I can dream, I can dream...

SCCWS
05-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I had a funny dream about that last night, actually. In it, Beckham was moved to 3B, while Hudson went to 2B. Both raised their averages above .250 and within a few weeks, Beckham was on an absolute tear. So much of a tear that he was selected for the All Star Game, even. >_>

Yeah, I can dream, I can dream...

Thank you for not sharing more of your dream...................

Foulke You
05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Not sure if anyone has seen this or it has already been posted, but Orlando Hudson has his own website to raise awareness for autism which is pretty nice. Website has already been updated to show our exploding scoreboard in the background:

http://orlandohudson1.com/

soltrain21
05-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Not sure if anyone has seen this or it has already been posted, but Orlando Hudson has his own website to raise awareness for autism which is pretty nice. Website has already been updated to show our exploding scoreboard in the background:

http://orlandohudson1.com/

He also has a Sox uniform on.

russ99
05-22-2012, 12:41 PM
I would if the demands of fielding the position don't mess him up at the plate.

The concern is that if Beckham were moved to 3B, he'd get out of his comfort zone and his hitting and better at-bats the last 10 days would go back to slumpville.

I think the Sox will wait on that decision until they get a read on Morel and how long he'll be out. If it's for an extended period, I'd prefer Hudson and Beckham in the lineup over the retreads in AAA, and defensively that's better with Beckham at 3B.

Also, at this point the concerns of his ceiling at 3B vs. 2B are pretty much nil, since we have no clue as to his ceiling now.

#1swisher
05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Mark Gonzales

Sox make Hudson signing, Morel DL official

Chicago White Sox

Additionally, the White Sox agreed to a 1-yr deal (thru 2012) with IF
Orlando Hudson. The 2x NL All-Star and 4x gold glover will wear #5.

TaylorStSox
05-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Mark Gonzales

Sox make Hudson signing, Morel DL official

Chicago White Sox

Additionally, the White Sox agreed to a 1-yr deal (thru 2012) with IF
Orlando Hudson. The 2x NL All-Star and 4x gold glover will wear #5.

Damn. I was really hoping he'd wear 13.

palehosepub
05-22-2012, 03:51 PM

When the Sox traded Vasquez to the Braves they received Lilli, Flowers and a 3B named Jon Gilmore who some writers at the time were calling the "sleeper" in the trade... Gilmore is "sleeping" in AA hitting a Morel - like .178.

Chez
05-22-2012, 03:56 PM
The White Sox third base situation has me almost missing Mark Teahen. Almost.

tstrike2000
05-22-2012, 04:15 PM
The White Sox third base situation has me almost missing Mark Teahen. Almost.

I'm sure he could brought back for a minimal price.

JoeyCora28
05-22-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm sure he could brought back for a minimal price.

Naaah, let KW lock him up for 4 yrs. @ 5M/yr.

LITTLE NELL
05-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Does anyone remember what a great job Juan Uribe did at 3B in the second half of 2008? I'm still upset that we didn't keep him. It's a mute point right now but he sure would have been better than Teahen and Morel.

EMachine10
05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Does anyone remember what a great job Juan Uribe did at 3B in the second half of 2008? I'm still upset that we didn't keep him. It's a mute point right now but he sure would have been better than Teahen and Morel.

Mute or moot? :cool:

thomas35forever
05-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Not keeping him around was the right move at the time. Remember, he only came in because Crede's back acted up again. I don't disagree he provided good offense, but also remember, everyone thought Josh Fields was the answer at third base at the time, so they had to make room somehow. Whatever though. It's old news. I've moved on.

LITTLE NELL
05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Mute or moot? :cool:

I stand corrected.
http://azwritingcoach.blogspot.com/2010/11/its-mute-point-but.html

hawkjt
05-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Jim Souhan, is being interviewed by Bernstein and Goff on the Score right now and he is telling them that in his one year as a Twin,Hudson drove everyone crazy with his incessant talking, just inane chatter, treated female media poorly, and was a bad player who specialized in fake hustle. No range, and way overrated as a hitter. Yikes.

Souhan says that Hudson is literally the one of the worst guys he has ever covered. Said everyone,including players,coaches and media could not wait to get him out of Minnesota.

I sure hope that Kenny vetted Hudson and checked with his sources on the Padres and the other multitude of teams that Hudson has had one year stints with in recent years to make sure he is not going to be way more trouble than he is worth.

mark1529
05-22-2012, 06:10 PM
i heard this also
one of the biggest clubhouse cancers in baseball

LITTLE NELL
05-22-2012, 06:18 PM
i heard this also

There is always a reason why a guy is playing for his 6th team in 12 years. It seems like our guys right now are feeling good about the team, I hope Hudson doesn't mess things up.

Brian26
05-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Jim Souhan, is being interviewed by Bernstein and Goff on the Score right now and he is telling them that in his one year as a Twin,Hudson drove everyone crazy with his incessant talking, just inane chatter, treated female media poorly, and was a bad player who specialized in fake hustle. No range, and way overrated as a hitter. Yikes.

Souhan says that Hudson is literally the one of the worst guys he has ever covered. Said everyone,including players,coaches and media could not wait to get him out of Minnesota.

I sure hope that Kenny vetted Hudson and checked with his sources on the Padres and the other multitude of teams that Hudson has had one year stints with in recent years to make sure he is not going to be way more trouble than he is worth.

Is this guy certain that he was describing Orlando Hudson and not Orlando Cabrera?

ChiSoxFann
05-22-2012, 08:25 PM

I remember a SF Giants columnist saying similar things about AJ when we signed him in 2005. I'll wait before I cast any judgment. Hudson isn't costing us anything so if he plays well he'll fit in nicely. If he is a cancer or unproductive he can be released very easily.

DSpivack
05-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Is this guy certain that he was describing Orlando Hudson and not Orlando Cabrera?

It was Hudson.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/22/twins-reporter-hudson-might-be-the-worst-player-ive-ever-covered/

dickallen15
05-22-2012, 09:00 PM

The Twins were a good team when Hudson was with them. They have been a horrible team since he left. Maybe he is annoying, maybe he's not, but it certainly doesn't seem to affect wins and losses. And of course there is this players poll:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1186272/8/15/index.htm

bigdommer
05-23-2012, 11:18 AM
I remember a SF Giants columnist saying similar things about AJ when we signed him in 2005. I'll wait before I cast any judgment.

This. Nothing but critisism for AJ and the "cancer" term was thrown about many of times. Now he has a big fat ring on his finger.

doublem23
05-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I remember a SF Giants columnist saying similar things about AJ when we signed him in 2005. I'll wait before I cast any judgment. Hudson isn't costing us anything so if he plays well he'll fit in nicely. If he is a cancer or unproductive he can be released very easily.

The fact that he seems very open to playing 3B shows that the relationship between the Sox and Hudson is off to a good start.

Foulke You
05-23-2012, 12:09 PM
The fact that he seems very open to playing 3B shows that the relationship between the Sox and Hudson is off to a good start.
Hudson said on whitesox.com that he had a lot of friends on the Sox already and that played a part in his decision to come here. He came up with Alex Rios in the Toronto organization, played with Jesse Crain in Minnesota, Peavy is a friend, ditto Adam Dunn (same agent). I sincerely doubt he will have trouble fitting in here.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120522&content_id=31977734&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

Bucky F. Dent
05-23-2012, 12:26 PM
It was Hudson.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/22/twins-reporter-hudson-might-be-the-worst-player-ive-ever-covered/

Brian was being ironical, and stuff.

KenBerryGrab
05-23-2012, 12:37 PM
The Twins are a very provincial, staid team, given to "their own." I don't doubt Hudson may have been annoying, but the Twins seem pretty easy to annoy.

JB98
05-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Hudson said on whitesox.com that he had a lot of friends on the Sox already and that played a part in his decision to come here. He came up with Alex Rios in the Toronto organization, played with Jesse Crain in Minnesota, Peavy is a friend, ditto Adam Dunn (same agent). I sincerely doubt he will have trouble fitting in here.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120522&content_id=31977734&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

And I'm sure KW talked to Rios and Crain about Hudson before the signing. What better way to find out about how a guy is in the clubhouse than talking to his former teammates?

I'm concerned that Hudson may be washed up, but I'm not concerned about him disrupting the clubhouse. If people in Minnesota don't like Hudson, I can't say I give a damn what they think.

RadioheadRocks
05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
i heard this also

This. Nothing but critisism for AJ and the "cancer" term was thrown about many of times. Now he has a big fat ring on his finger.

I'm guessing that someone associated with the Twins orgainzation is going to refer to every former Twin coming to the White Sox as a "clubhouse cancer". :rolleyes:

RadioheadRocks
05-23-2012, 05:49 PM
The Twins are a very provincial, staid team, given to "their own." I don't doubt Hudson may have been annoying, but the Twins seem pretty easy to annoy.

This.

First AJ, now Hudson. Wonder how many other "misfits" the Twins would love to send our way???

KMcMahon817
05-23-2012, 06:31 PM

When Souhan comes on the radio, I turn it off. Guy is an idiot and knows nothing about baseball. I don't mean that just because of this comment; I could totally see Hudson getting under the skin of some players on the Twins. But, hardly a good source. Dude sucks at his job.

DSpivack
05-23-2012, 07:20 PM
This.

First AJ, now Hudson. Wonder how many other "misfits" the Twins would love to send our way???

They can't talk ***** about Phil Humber since his perfecto.

*Though I haven't heard any.

soxinem1
05-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm concerned that Hudson may be washed up, but I'm not concerned about him disrupting the clubhouse. If people in Minnesota don't like Hudson, I can't say I give a damn what they think.

A lot of people in Chicago didn't like A/J. either.... Until he came here to play.

balke
05-23-2012, 11:21 PM

Sox had Carl Everett - somehow won a championship. I don't want to get all excited about Hudson - odds are he'll be a disappointment. I do like the play and potential though. If anything this report encourages me - maybe his head needs straightened out so he can play to his potential.

johnnyg83
05-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Sox had Carl Everett - somehow won a championship. I don't want to get all excited about Hudson - odds are he'll be a disappointment. I do like the play and potential though. If anything this report encourages me - maybe his head needs straightened out so he can play to his potential.

If he hits .245/6/44 with a respectable D, he won't be a disappointment to me.

Foulke You
05-24-2012, 01:45 PM
If he hits .245/6/44 with a respectable D, he won't be a disappointment to me.
Agreed. Those average stats would be a huge upgrade over what we were getting out of that spot for the first 6 weeks of the season. Also, what shouldn't be lost is that the switch hitting Hudson seems to give you quality professional at bats which we weren't getting out of the bottom of the order with Morel. It's nice to have a 9 hitter who can foul off some pitcher's pitches, work the counts, and get a walk. Hudson usually averages between 50-70 walks per year. Morel had 22 walks all of last season and 10 of them were in September. A little back to back speed next to De Aza is also a plus. I think this will be end up being a solid signing for the Sox.

TheVulture
05-24-2012, 01:55 PM

I don't think the Twins considered AJ a misfit. It was the ******* laden San Francisco Giants who made a campaign of labeling him a clubhouse cancer. If I recall, the Twins from Gardenhire to Hunter all had great things to say about AJ after he was gone. They just made room for Mauer and picked up one of the more dominant closers of recent memory in the process.

Foulke You
05-24-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't think the Twins considered AJ a misfit. It was the ass hole laden San Francisco Giants who made a campaign of labeling him a clubhouse cancer. If I recall, the Twins from Gardenhire to Hunter all had great things to say about AJ after he was gone. They just made room for Mauer.
Yeah, the majority of the AJ criticism came from the Bay Area. Specifically, the fictional story that Bret Tomko spread about AJ playing poker in the clubhouse rather than wanting to talk about the scouting report for that day's game. It was also Tomko who spread the rumors that AJ kneed a clubhouse guy in the groin on the field during Giants Spring Training. Both were false stories from a pitcher who obviously had an axe to grind with AJ. However, the media circulated those stories and AJ's reputation took such a beating that it allowed Kenny to sign him for far less than his market value.

I'm not exactly sure how the Minneapolis media portrays AJ now. It wouldn't surprise me if they smeared him too. Twins fans hate AJ's guts now and I've never been able to figure out why. The Twins TRADED him away to make room for Mauer. He didn't leave for more money, he had no choice. Also, AJ has nothing but great things to say about the Twins organization.

DSpivack
05-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't think the Twins considered AJ a misfit. It was the ******* laden San Francisco Giants who made a campaign of labeling him a clubhouse cancer. If I recall, the Twins from Gardenhire to Hunter all had great things to say about AJ after he was gone. They just made room for Mauer and picked up one of the more dominant closers of recent memory in the process.

Yeah, the majority of the AJ criticism came from the Bay Area. Specifically, the fictional story that Bret Tomko spread about AJ playing poker in the clubhouse rather than wanting to talk about the scouting report for that day's game. It was also Tomko who spread the rumors that AJ kneed a clubhouse guy in the groin on the field during Giants Spring Training. Both were false stories from a pitcher who obviously had an axe to grind with AJ. However, the media circulated those stories and AJ's reputation took such a beating that it allowed Kenny to sign him for far less than his market value.

I'm not exactly sure how the Minneapolis media portrays AJ now. It wouldn't surprise me if they smeared him too. Twins fans hate AJ's guts now and I've never been able to figure out why. The Twins TRADED him away to make room for Mauer. He didn't leave for more money, he had no choice. Also, AJ has nothing but great things to say about the Twins organization.

Nathan, Liriano, & Boof Bonser (who provided some solid starts for the 2006 AL Central-winning team before fading out) for AJ. What a trade.

The Immigrant
05-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Twins fans hate AJ's guts now and I've never been able to figure out why.

This guy has an interesting theory: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/j-pierzynski-meant-more-minnesota-twins-joe-mauer-184200026--mlb.html

GlassSox
05-24-2012, 04:32 PM
This guy has an interesting theory: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/j-pierzynski-meant-more-minnesota-twins-joe-mauer-184200026--mlb.html

Interesting read

hawkjt
05-25-2012, 02:02 PM
I just heard the O-Dog do an interview on the Mac and Spiegs Show on the Score,and I am starting to think that Souhan is just your typical cynical big city columist of the Bayless/Mariotti/Cowley variety,who a player crosses once, and they hammer him forever. Power of the pen type of deal.

O-Dog sounded very aware of his reputation as a irritating non-stop chatterbox,and said he is laying low in the clubhouse...just trying to fit in.

Talked about his autism foundation. Talked about liking Robin Ventura.
Said he was getting comfortable at third base pretty quickly,by taking a bunch of grounders over there before games.
Likes the potential of the team.
Talked about winning the division.

Sounded fine to me. He has a clean start with me...just produce and all is good, O-Dog!

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Maybe he's the 2012 Julio Cruz? One can dream, no?

DonnieDarko
05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Maybe he's the 2012 Julio Cruz? One can dream, no?

Who is Julio Cruz and why should I dream about him?

SephClone89
05-25-2012, 04:23 PM

I wonder... (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=julio+cruz+baseball)

FielderJones

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/C/Pcruzj002.htm

Final piece to the 1983 team that turned them into division champs.

samurai_sox

Geoff Blum for you.

DonnieDarko
05-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Geoff Blum for you.

Ding! Now I gotcha.

EDIT: LOL, no wonder I don't know of this guy: his last appearnce with the Sox was almost four months before I was born! XD

TomBradley72
05-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Geoff Blum for you.

Cruz was to the 1983 Sox what Pods was to the 2005 team- one more "catlayst" on the bases= with Cruz 9th, and R. Law leading off- that was a nice combo in front of Fisk/Luzinski/Kittle, etc.

Foulke You
05-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Geoff Blum for you.
Blum had one HR. Now granted, it was a World Series game winning one but Blum wasn't really the "final piece" that propelled the Sox to the division title and World Series. That HR was his only memorable moment in a Sox uniform. Julio Cruz helped the Sox the whole season so I'm not sure about the Blum comparison. Not to take anything away from what Blum did for us but I think the Pods comparison to Cruz is more accurate.

FielderJones
05-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Julio Cruz helped the Sox the whole season so I'm not sure about the Blum comparison.

Half season. Acquired in mid-June.

Zakath
05-25-2012, 11:30 PM
So far so good for Orlando. 0-1 tonight, but drew 3 walks. .333 since joining the club.

kevingrt
05-25-2012, 11:31 PM
So far so good for Orlando. 0-1 tonight, but drew 3 walks. .333 since joining the club.

And the most worrisome part coming in, defensive ability at 3B, has not appeared that bad at all!

:gulp:

Zakath
05-25-2012, 11:37 PM
And the most worrisome part coming in, defensive ability at 3B, has not appeared that bad at all!

:gulp:

For a guy who played 2B his entire career, he never had to show off his arm, but he's got one. Some pretty solid throws across the diamond.

Brian26
05-25-2012, 11:43 PM
For a guy who played 2B his entire career, he never had to show off his arm, but he's got one. Some pretty solid throws across the diamond.

Strong throws, but not entirely accurate. He's pulling Konerko off the bag and making him dig throws out. Still, rather have Hudson than Morel.

Foulke You
05-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Half season. Acquired in mid-June.
Correct. Error on my part. Big time contribution in that second half though.

Foulke You
05-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Strong throws, but not entirely accurate. He's pulling Konerko off the bag and making him dig throws out. Still, rather have Hudson than Morel.
I noticed that too. This was the first night he has done that though. Hopefully, the throws will get more accurate as he gets more comfortable out there. The walks and quality at bats at the bottom of the lineup is most welcome though.

TomBradley72
05-25-2012, 11:57 PM

He did play 242 games at 3rd in the minors- so he should at least have the basic tools to handle it.

One nice addition he makes to this White Sox line up is the ability to make contact/draw walks- he doesn't strike out much- so a nice balance to all the other "hackers" in the order- a very nice upgrade vs. Morel.

Brian26
05-26-2012, 12:00 AM
I noticed that too. This was the first night he has done that though. Hopefully, the throws will get more accurate as he gets more comfortable out there. The walks and quality at bats at the bottom of the lineup is most welcome though.

He did it last night too. Pulled Konerko off the bag with a high throw. Nothing has been disastrous yet, and perhaps he'll become more accurate once he gets acclimated over there.

BigHurt3515
05-26-2012, 02:35 AM
I love this signing for this year and this year only. It defiantly helps our lineup out

hawkjt
05-26-2012, 02:42 AM
I really like the fact that O-Dog is a switch-hitter. Balances out the lineup every nite,and helps him draw walks. Very good eye at the plate so far.

Anyone notice how big those meathooks of his look? Maybe it is the white gloves,but his hands look huge on the bat.

Golden Sox
05-26-2012, 10:04 AM
He's certainly not the second coming of Joe Crede but he has definitely been an improvement over Morel. He's caught everything hit to him and he's been getting on base a few times. Taking everything into account, so far so good.

JB98
05-28-2012, 05:56 PM
OK, Hudson can handle third base defensively. He's proven me wrong already.

He may not be much of a hitter anymore, but his at-bats are better than Morel's.