PDA

View Full Version : Konerko OK

doublem23
05-19-2012, 02:47 AM
CT Scan at Rush revealed nothing serious, will be reevaluated Saturday to make sure he has no concussion symptoms. Looks like we dodged a bullet.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0519-white-sox-cubs-chicago--20120519,0,3164863.story

hawkjt
05-19-2012, 03:04 AM
Great,great news! I was convinced that he would have some bone fracture of some sort in his face. It would have been a real shame to see him go down at this point in his career...hope he is back soon!

kufram
05-19-2012, 09:10 AM
If any team needs any one player it is the White Sox that need PK. I think he took one like that not so long ago, didn't he?

Interesting that I saw no venom aimed at the pitcher from the White Sox bench or players on the field except possibly Peavy... he was jawing at AJ about something afterward... but I think that was Peavy being Peavy.

It's usually some fans that want blood, not the people involved. there are exceptions.

SCCWS
05-19-2012, 09:28 AM
I found it ironic that Samard... led off the next inning. Often in AL brush back/hit batsman incidents we hear AL pitchers would be less apt to do it if they had to bat. Yet the White Sox chose a different target. Maybe they were afraid Humber would get ejected so they waited and went after their best hitter.
On a different note, living in the Northeast, I have never watched a Cub broadcast on WGN. I have seen numerous White Sox games broadcast as well as Tampa Bay in the spring and Red Sox and Yankees in summer/fall. The Cubs have more contest/gimmick promotions than all of the other teams combined. It seemed every inning there was another on/off field event you could take part in. I was waiting for a promo for a hot dog and a massage..................... Sorry but it seemed very minor league to me.

GlassSox
05-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Great news. Come back and hurt a couple of pitches Paulie.

October26
05-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Thank goodness! Hope to see Paulie back in the lineup real soon.

sox1970
05-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Good, maybe give him today off, have Dunn at 1B and Viciedo in LF. And then hopefully PK is back tomorrow and Dunn will get the day off against the lefty. Viciedo's bat is too hot right now to sit.

AnkleSox
05-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Paulie's always been a Cub killer so for him to come back and get some key hits this series would be pretty damn sweet.

billyvsox
05-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I found it ironic that Samard... led off the next inning. Often in AL brush back/hit batsman incidents we hear AL pitchers would be less apt to do it if they had to bat. Yet the White Sox chose a different target. Maybe they were afraid Humber would get ejected so they waited and went after their best hitter.
On a different note, living in the Northeast, I have never watched a Cub broadcast on WGN. I have seen numerous White Sox games broadcast as well as Tampa Bay in the spring and Red Sox and Yankees in summer/fall. The Cubs have more contest/gimmick promotions than all of the other teams combined. It seemed every inning there was another on/off field event you could take part in. I was waiting for a promo for a hot dog and a massage..................... Sorry but it seemed very minor league to me.

Some would suggest the Cubs ARE minor league.

#1swisher
05-19-2012, 01:25 PM
CT Scan at Rush revealed nothing serious, will be reevaluated Saturday to make sure he has no concussion symptoms. Looks like we dodged a bullet.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0519-white-sox-cubs-chicago--20120519,0,3164863.story

I'm not expecting him to play this weekend. Concussion or not, he still has a cut and swelling around his left eye.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Some would suggest the Cubs ARE minor league.
Beat me to it. :cool:

JB98
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm not expecting him to play this weekend. Concussion or not, he still has a cut and swelling around his left eye.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if we see him again this series. Also, there's an off day coming Monday, so the opportunity exists from him to take three days, heal up and be ready to go for the divisional games we have coming up at home here over the next week.

I know some people won't want to hear this, but beating the Twins and the Indians is more important than beating the Cubs.

Take your time, Paulie. Get well. We need you healthy and productive for the long haul.

central44
05-19-2012, 01:50 PM

Even on TV they sell the "Wrigley Experience"--they spend an inordinate amount of time showing all the fans having fun at the park.

I think it was a case of "throw at our best hitter, we'll throw at your best hitter" though. I guess it's just the AL mindset :smile:

Moses_Scurry
05-19-2012, 02:10 PM

I think if I were going to retaliate, the last person I would do it against is the pitcher. They are supposed to be automatic outs. I'd hit a person who has a decent chance of getting on base anyway.

Brian26
05-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Even on TV they sell the "Wrigley Experience"--they spend an inordinate amount of time showing all the fans having fun at the park.

I was reminded of this old Arne Harris trick the other night when the Cubs were trying to come back in the 9th against Papelbon, as I had stumbled upon the game. It's the bottom of the 9th, the Cubs have come back several runs to get the winning run to the plate, and in between every pitch they were cutting to crowd shots of people taking pictures of themselves with their phones (I'm sure, so they could update their facebook profile pages....because nobody's ever had their picture taken at a sporting event before). Lame.

#1swisher
05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Chuck Garfien

Paul Konerko: "As soon as I can see without something in the way, I'll be in there." He's a gamer.

Video update of Konerko
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21581521&c_id=cws&partnerId=aw-9088748760522303318-1024

Pic of PKs' shiner
http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Photo-Paul-Konerkos-eye-isnt-in-good-sha?blockID=710786&feedID=10338&awid=5248417443710617002-914

Chuck Garfien
Saw Konerko. He had a steaming hot towel over his left eye. Said he's "alright."
5m

SI1020
05-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Is he really OK? He probably is and I certainly hope so, but that looks nasty. I still shudder when I think of the Tony Conigliaro beaning. I know I run the risk of being called melodramatic but this type of injury can be very serious. Hopefully his vision impairment is just temporary.

ElevenUp
05-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Kudos to the person that sewed up that laceration. You can barely see the repair. I'm glad to hear that only injuries were the laceration and the swelling. looks like the Captain should be back in the lineup soon.

fisk4ever
05-20-2012, 01:04 PM
For a get-well present, Hawk can stop calling Paulie "The Professor" and "The PHD".

#1swisher
05-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Chuck Garfien

Spoke with Konerko. Says he might take swings in the cage. And as I write this, he's walking out to RF batting cage.

Daryl Van Schouwen

Konerko playing catch in outfield, doing some running. Good chance he'll play Tuesday against Twins at U.S. Cellular

BleacherBandit
05-21-2012, 12:40 AM
How does anyone walk away from this without a broken face? 85 mph fastball to the orbital? Nothing broken? Incredible. I'd think that the density of bone wouldn't be able to withstand that sort of impact.

slavko
05-21-2012, 12:44 AM
How does anyone walk away from this without a broken face? 85 mph fastball to the orbital? Nothing broken? Incredible. I'd think that the density of bone wouldn't be able to withstand that sort of impact.

He was pulling away from the pitch. If he had run into it he'd be out 2 months.

Golden Sox
05-21-2012, 07:30 AM
I couldn't believe the White Sox didn't drill the Cubs pitcher when he came up to bat after hitting Konerko. If Early Wynn , Don Drysdale or Bob Gibson were pitching that Cubs pitcher would of been drilled.

Nellie_Fox
05-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I couldn't believe the White Sox didn't drill the Cubs pitcher when he came up to bat after hitting Konerko. If Early Wynn , Don Drysdale or Bob Gibson were pitching that Cubs pitcher would of been drilled.Yeah, but in those days they wouldn't have been tossed out of the game for it. It was considered part of the game. Now they would have tossed Humber immediately, and without question. They don't have to issue a warning.

SoxSpeed22
05-21-2012, 05:21 PM
IMO, the message was given, heard and received pretty well. You don't have to hit the opposing pitcher to make a point.

SOXSINCE'70
05-21-2012, 06:24 PM
For a get-well present, Hawk can stop calling Paulie "The Professor" and "The PHD".

Hawk could give all White Sox fans a present if he'd just shut his mouth and let the players play the damn game.:angry: Actually,he could give me a present by refraining from saying "Don't Stop Now,Boys " forever.

Daver
05-21-2012, 06:26 PM
IMO, the message was given, heard and received pretty well. You don't have to hit the opposing pitcher to make a point.

Well, not in the American League anyway.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Winning certainly is the best message, and the Sox hit the Cubs HARD in that regard!
Hawk could give all White Sox fans a present if he'd just shut his mouth and let the players play the damn game.:angry: Actually,he could give me a present by refraining from saying "Don't Stop Now,Boys " forever.
I haven't heard Hawk say that nearly as much as last season, and I'm pleased.

Has anyone heard updates on Paulie? Is he out for tomorrow's game?