PDA

View Full Version : Longest HR to left field

duke of dorwood
07-23-2002, 09:33 PM
Well, I'm glad that our all time HR leader hit that one.

Keystone Combo
07-23-2002, 10:14 PM
14 hits in his last 40 at bats, homered two nights in a row against Minnesota. Tonight's homer was to left and traveled to the concourse railing at 495 feet.

Good to see him hitting again.

Maggs hit a 3 run homer and (my friend) Aaron Rowand hit a two run homer into the bullpen too.

Unfortunately, we are only leading 8-6.... oh brother.

RKMeibalane
07-24-2002, 12:03 AM
Our good friend bc2k is complaining that he didn't hit that ball far enough.

bc2k
07-24-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Our good friend bc2k is complaining that he didn't hit that ball far enough.

Well, an even 500 would have been nice. Although if he keeps doing that, it will shut me up.

Soxfan7070
07-24-2002, 12:39 AM
I was at the game sitting in Section 161 and the HR ball bounced about 15 ft. away from me. I made a good effort but no dice...
At least I was on the scoreboard for a split second :)

RedPinStripes
07-24-2002, 12:50 AM
That was NOT the longest HR in new comiskey history. Farmer kept saying that. I know damn well that Eric Chavez, Mark McGire and Dan Pasqua put HR's further then that. Longest one i saw was Chaves' last year to RF. It hit above the men's restroom on a fly. How can Franks be the longest? Just shows you how short the tape gets for the visiting team.

Bisco Stu
07-24-2002, 12:58 AM
NOW is the time to trade Frank! Obviously.

I hear the O's have a prospect named Joe Jackson. Doesn't like shoes. Great hitter, but for two bits he'll strike out on purpose.

Joe Jackson = Bad musician AND a baseball disgrace!

doublem23
07-24-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu

Joe Jackson = Bad musician AND a baseball disgrace!

and one of the greatest hitters ever!

Wouldathunkit?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-24-2002, 01:33 AM
The media guide lists Eric Chavez's dinger at 490 feet. The longest Sox homerun was Dan Pasqua's 484 foot clout back in 1991.

Section 160-61 is only one section away from dead-center field--the deepest part of the park. Homeruns hit into the corners, like McGwire's that landed inside the Cap Corner, aren't nearly as far even though they reached the concourse.

Comiskey's concourse is not a perfect circle, just like the outfield wall isn't a perfect circle from homeplate.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Well, an even 500 would have been nice. Although if he keeps doing that, it will shut me up. Yeeeehawwww!

34 Inch Stick
07-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Think of how stupid I felt. I brought my two month old son to his first game last night. Our seats were in row 9 and my wife thought that was too close to the field so we moved up to the second to back row. I said there is no way anyone will hit one this far. OOPS! As all wives are, my wife was very forgiving of the mistake. No comments at all.

I saw Mo Vaughn hit one for the Angels that looked like it went just as far.

I think there will be a lot of apologies to Frank when he returns to form next year. The guy has done a lot of things wrong in his career. However, booing one of the five best Sox players of all time at home is inexcusable.

foulkesfan11
07-24-2002, 09:37 AM
It's a little late for him to wake up now!

Soxboyrob
07-24-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The media guide lists Eric Chavez's dinger at 490 feet. The longest Sox homerun was Dan Pasqua's 484 foot clout back in 1991.

Section 160-61 is only one section away from dead-center field--the deepest part of the park. Homeruns hit into the corners, like McGwire's that landed inside the Cap Corner, aren't nearly as far even though they reached the concourse.

I was at the game when Pasqua hit the allegedly 484 foot clout. That home run was giant and crushed. It hit about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the huge sign behind the right field concourse with a thunderous CLUNK. It left a visible dent in what I believe was a Winston Cigarettes sign. Amazing to me that that distance measures only 484 feet. My guess is that it would have traveled closer to 550 if allowed to land on level ground. It's still the longest HR I've ever witnessed.

CubKilla
07-24-2002, 10:39 AM
At least now, when at Comiskey and they show the 5 longest HR's for the year hit by a White Sox, Ray Durham won't lead the list. You wouldn't believe the crap my sCrUBS fans friends gave me about that at the Saturday Cubs/Sox game last month at Comiskey..... then again, you probably wouldn't believe the crap I gave them after we won he game! LOL

dirty_k
07-24-2002, 11:52 AM
was a shot - amazing it went so far because it didn't have the altitute most other long ball blasts have. I was in 162 22 rows back. The ball just flew through the fans in the last few rows of seats and on to the concourse. Easily the concourse-homer that has been closest to center field, although it barely reached the concourse.

ilovemags30
07-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Soxfan7070
I was at the game sitting in Section 161 and the HR ball bounced about 15 ft. away from me. I made a good effort but no dice...
At least I was on the scoreboard for a split second :)

hey i was in sec. 159!! i was on the scoreboard for a sec too.. well my sign was.. 1/2 of 1/2 ofit was great game... i was no where near the ball i stood up tho.. but i had NO CHANCE of getting it.. we were in row 8. oh well at least frank did something at a game i was at... thats a 1st

dirty_k
07-24-2002, 12:51 PM
What did that homer look like on tv?

I felt sorry for the families that had to sit (and that eventually left) sections 162 and 163. Parts of the crowd were similar to that found on the north side. Security needs to be more decissive in throwing people out (I hate to say it - but more like the north side's crowd control).

RKMeibalane
07-24-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by dirty_k
What did that homer look like on tv?

I saw footage of the homerun on Baseball Tonight. Strangely enough, it didn't gain as much altitude as one might have expected. I thought it would have looked like one of those shots seen in a homerun derby. It was an impressive homer. It looks like Frank's plate coverage is improving. He jumped on that pitch before it had a chance to move. It was almost as if he knew what was coming- shades of his normal self.

Keystone Combo
07-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I think there will be a lot of apologies to Frank when he returns to form next year. The guy has done a lot of things wrong in his career. However, booing one of the five best Sox players of all time at home is inexcusable.

I agree and I can't wait to hear it.

FanOf14
07-24-2002, 01:39 PM
I know some of them were directed at him, but I do think some of them are just due to the sheer disgust the fans are feeling because of this season. I do believe that Ritchie deserved the showers of "boos" he got, but I don't think Frank did.

zach23
07-24-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by dirty_k

I felt sorry for the families that had to sit (and that eventually left) sections 162 and 163. Parts of the crowd were similar to that found on the north side. Security needs to be more decissive in throwing people out (I hate to say it - but more like the north side's crowd control).

My seats are in 162 and I agree. On half price nights there are plenty of idiots out there.

duke of dorwood
07-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Half price nights are a zoo in the outfield-especially in the left field corner where cheap box seats are sold. We had 4 half price Monday's on our ticket package last year, and it was clearly "amateur night"

LongDistanceFan
07-24-2002, 02:42 PM
if i remember right, the yr we got bell, for sosa, he hit one that went on the concourse. were they keeping track of the length back them?