PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-18 Bacon Bails Out Thornton, SOX 3 FLUBS 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Nice to get the win

Rios made it more interesting than necessary

Hope PK can exact revenge tomorrow

ChiSoxGal85
05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Nice win. As long as Paulie is ok, I'm happy.

vinny
05-18-2012, 04:04 PM
And Reed bails out Rios.

Hope Paulie is back in action soon.

tstrike2000
05-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Bacon, clutch! Nice job by Reed pitching over a boneheaded error by Rios. Really nice to beat these guys. Hope Paulie's ok.

Rocky Soprano
05-18-2012, 04:06 PM
On the postgame they just said PK has no vision problems and only has some swelling above the eye. It seems like he will be ok.

:bandance:

doublem23
05-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Kasper just announced the attendance at 34,000 and change? No sell out?

DSpivack

It looked like there were a bunch of empty seats in the LF bleachers.

fisk4ever
Comcast says Paulie has no vision issues. Return not known.
P.S. I so hate the cubs.

SOXPHILE
05-18-2012, 04:08 PM
That game is a major relief. Glad they won, glad it's over.

The Kerry Wood thing. OK, he's a nice guy, a class act, etc. Fine. That standing ovation and curtain call thing though, I think that was really embarrassing, showing once again that Cubs fans are the stupidest fans in all of pro sports. Let's go over the career numbers again: 86 wins, 75 losses, 63 saves, 3.67 ERA, with about a dozen trips to the DL.

Most of us remember Alex Fernandez. His career numbers are 100 wins, 87 losses, 3.74 ERA. I guess I should have given him a standing ovation when he retired too.

Once again, Chicago, namely, Cubs fans, show that this town is Hooterville.

Soxman219
Is PK gonna play tomorrow?

slavko

I saw empty seats on TV. Don't get on Rios's behind. Late innings of spring games at Wrigley, I've seen that happen countless times. Tough sun.

LITTLE NELL
It looked like there were a bunch of empty seats in the LF bleachers.

34,000 paid attendance. This has to be the first non-sellout in history of the series.

Boondock Saint
05-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Bacon, clutch! Nice job by Reed pitching over a boneheaded error by Rios. Really nice to beat these guys. Hope Paulie's ok.

Still pissed about this, the official scorer scored that as a double. Gotta love those doubles off of the glove of the player camped under the ball.

Bucky F. Dent
I'll take my cue from the Sox players who did not react as if anything intentional had occured; but in my gut I think Jeff Samardzija is a punk!

TomBradley72
Can we stop the bashing of Dayan in LF now?

The arm alone makes him one of the better left fielders we've had in a while (I'd take him over CLee/Pods/Quentin or Pierre)- and I think he covers the LF corner/line very well- which with De Aza and Rios in CF and RF is the primary thing he needs to be able to do.

Humber + Jones + Reed- great day from our younger arms.

I'm always a little cynical about the Cubs/Sox series- but once the game begins- the intensity goes up and the games almost always have a memorable moment or two (todays: PK and Beckham's homers, the Beckham tag play at 2nd, Rios' bonehead play in the 9th, Kerry Wood's final appearance).

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Lets sweep these bums, get to .500 and go on from there and win the division.

DumpJerry
05-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I saw a lot of empty seats in the LF corner. Could not RF corner from where I was sitting.

Scots-Sox
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I've just watched the reply of that pitch and the sign looked to me like UP and IN not saying he def. threw for the head but its certainly questionable.

Well done to the guys for keeping the head and winning the game.

doublem23
05-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Most of us remember Alex Fernandez. His career numbers are 100 wins, 87 losses, 3.74 ERA. I guess I should have given him a standing ovation when he retired too.

I don't know, I'd give Alex Fernandez a standing O. Also, I think many of us would give Joe Crede a nice reception when he's the same kind of disappointing career done in by injuries. All teams and all fans have their favorites who were never major stars.

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2012, 04:14 PM
I saw a lot of empty seats in the LF corner. Could not RF corner from where I was sitting.
Lot of empty seats in the UD corners.

doublem23
05-18-2012, 04:15 PM
34,000 paid attendance. This has to be the first non-sellout in history of the series.

At Wrigley, I don't think any of the Cubs/Sox games at the Cell last year sold out

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I'll take my cue from the Sox players who did not react as if anything intentional had occured; but in my gut I think Jeff Samardzija is a punk!

Between the Cubbie thing and the Notre Dame thing- if he comes out a Packer fan- he'll hit my "teams who are way to full of themselves" trifecta!

johnnyg83
05-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Love Friday wins. Love love love Friday afternoon wins.

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
At Wrigley, I don't think any of the Cubs/Sox games at the Cell last year sold out

We never know what a sellout is in USCF, capacity is 40,615 and sellouts are usually around 38,000 plus, I still don't get it.
I'm an attendance junkie and check boxscores daily and we are the only team that never hits capacity, even sellouts.

Bob Roarman
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't know, I'd give Alex Fernandez a standing O. Also, I think many of us would give Joe Crede a nice reception when he's the same kind of disappointing career done in by injuries. All teams and all fans have their favorites who were never major stars.

Didn't Joe Crede get a standing ovation when he came back with the Twins? Not only that, but some kind of video montage? Thought there was something special. It's the same with every team and their fan favorites. Who really cares?

JB98
05-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I like the way Reed kept his cool after the error by Rios. Not an easy thing to do for a young pitcher. He got right after the next hitter and closed the deal. Nicely done.

soltrain21
05-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Crede helped us win something in a big way.

sachin
05-18-2012, 04:21 PM

The Kerry Wood thing. OK, he's a nice guy, a class act, etc. Fine. That standing ovation and curtain call thing though, I think that was really embarrassing, showing once again that Cubs fans are the stupidest fans in all of pro sports. Let's go over the career numbers again: 86 wins, 75 losses, 63 saves, 3.67 ERA, with about a dozen trips to the DL.

Wow, whatta sport. Hey, what did Robin Ventura ever do for the Sox? Yeah, he had a .274 AVG, so I guess if people liked him they're a bunch of chumps for following this stiff. :rolleyes:

GlassSox
05-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Lets sweep these bums, get to .500 and go on from there and win the division.

I like your attitude.

Boondock Saint
Didn't Joe Crede get a standing ovation when he came back with the Twins? Not only that, but some kind of video montage? Thought there was something special. It's the same with every team and their fan favorites. Who really cares?

Well, there's the fact that he was the unofficial MVP of the 2005 World Series. We don't win **** without him. It's not like we're having going away ceremonies for Willie Harris and El Duque.

TomBradley72

Kind of weird- we might not win that game if Dunn is in LF-

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM
I like your attitude.

See, I'm not a grumpy old man.

Irishsox1
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Since I'm an ND fan and I know for a fact that Smarj grew up a Sox fan I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the pitch wasn't intentional but you don't mess with Paulie. Thanks for sticking around one batter too many.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae231/rocknrolla2/Beck1.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae231/rocknrolla2/Beck2.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae231/rocknrolla2/Beck3.jpg

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Kind of weird- we might not win that game if Dunn is in LF-

That first ball hit to him would have been caught by every Lfielder in MLB except for Juan Pierre.

fisk4ever
05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
See, I'm not a grumpy old man.
Well, not grumpy anyway. :smile:

Lip Man 1
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Always nice to beat these goofy bastards.

And I agree Wood seems like a nice guy but his numbers are totally pedestrian.

He represents the "dream" that Cubbie clowns have on what might have been.

:rolleyes:

104 years and still counting.

Lip

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
That first ball hit to him would have been caught by every Lfielder in MLB except for Juan Pierre.

Do you mean the double in the 1st?

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Do you mean the double in the 1st?

Yes sir.

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Yes sir.

I agree- I was surprised no one commented on it- that ball had a very long "hang time" and then landed off the base of the wall-

After watching Dayan today- Ventura is crazy if he puts Dunn out in LF again- especially vs. the LHP on Sunday.

sachin
05-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, there's the fact that he was the unofficial MVP of the 2005 World Series. We don't win **** without him. It's not like we're having going away ceremonies for Willie Harris and El Duque.

I don't think you quite get it...

cheezheadsoxfan
05-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Very good point.

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I agree- I was surprised no one commented on it- that ball had a very long "hang time" and then landed off the base of the wall-

After watching Dayan today- Ventura is crazy if he puts Dunn out in LF again- especially vs. the LHP on Sunday.

The Cub announcers mentioned it, I was forced to watch the Cubs WGN feed. I will take the Hawk any day over Casper.

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Wood is so widely respected across baseball- I'll give the Cub fans a little bit of a pass- but for the record- exactly 15 more career wins than Jason Bere.

Golden Sox
Last year in the first series with the bad guys, the bad guys hit the White Sox a few times. The White Sox did not retaliate. I called Steve Stone on the Score after that series and I asked him if he thought the White Sox would get even with the bad guys in the 2nd series. Stone said he expected some chin music to occur. It never happened. We have 5 more games to get the bad guys. As Hawk pointed out the Cubs pitcher gave up a home run earlier in the year against the Braves and then hit that same batter the next time up. If the White Sox pitchers will not retaliate against the bad guys after what happened today with Konerko, I have a solution. All the White Sox have to do is activate me as a pitcher for one game. I will settle this after the very first Cubs batter comes up to hit. The White Sox don't even have to pay me. I will GLADLY do it for nothing. Secondly, I haven't been surprised that these White Sox Cubs games haven't been selling out. . Both teams double the price of the seats. My season ticket package has me paying $46 for my lower deck box seat ticket. Anybody else ( a non season ticket holder) would pay double that.

chisoxfanatic
We never know what a sellout is in USCF, capacity is 40,615 and sellouts are usually around 38,000 plus, I still don't get it.
I'm an attendance junkie and check boxscores daily and we are the only team that never hits capacity, even sellouts.
Maybe skyboxes count towards that 40,615? Perhaps the Sox require those seats to be filled for it to be at 100% capacity? I don't know, but just a guess.

It's nice that Beckham responded after the Cubs tied it.

Boondock Saint
05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't think you quite get it...

So "fact" was a poor choice of words. It's still a very commonly held belief among us that Crede was far more deserving of the WS MVP award than Dye. Crede was all over the place making huge plays during that run.

SI1020
05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Comcast says Paulie has no vision issues. Return not known.
P.S. I so hate the cubs. Oh you and me both.

sox1970
05-18-2012, 04:41 PM
So "fact" was a poor choice of words. It's still a very commonly held belief among us that Crede was far more deserving of the WS MVP award than Dye. Crede was all over the place making huge plays during that run.

Crede could have won the ALCS MVP too, but he certainly should have won the World Series MVP. No doubt about that.

sachin
05-18-2012, 04:43 PM

No doubt, but if you add up his whole body of work, it trends towards being very average. That being said, Crede's one of my favorite players & he's pretty well loved among the Sox fans, and would likely get the same treatment from Sox fans that Wood got today from the Wrigley faithful. So would AJ.

/Just sayin'
:shrug:

kufram
05-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Still pissed about this, the official scorer scored that as a double. Gotta love those doubles off of the glove of the player camped under the ball.

Rios did not just drop that ball. He lost in the sun at the last second. THAT is why is was scored as a double. He was not "camped" under the ball either. Rios is not my favourite player but to say he dropped a ball he was camped under is not correct.

WhiteSox5187
05-18-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't know if the Samardjiza thing was intentional or not but it was a bit disappointing that we didn't really retaliate. We threw behind Lahair but our guys have been getting hit waaay too often without a response for far too long now.

As for Kerry Wood's ovation, I think the guy deserved it. He never lived up to his hype but he worked hard, was a good clubhouse guy and left a lot of money on the table to come back to the Cubs even going so far as to say that he felt "he owed them a lot more than he gave." Having said that, I have met Kerry Wood and he is a very nice guy. I don't mind him getting recognized for a standing ovation.

It was good to see Reed pitch over that error by Rios, I had a sinking feeling when I saw that happen but Reed didn't seem to flinch. Let's win tomorrow.

TheOldRoman
05-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Great to get a win. I had the day off of work (thanks, NATO!) so I got to watch the entire game. Great to see Beckham get two hits including the game winner. I'm also glad to hear that Konerko will be fine.

At first I thought Wood's actions were selfish, but the more I thought about it, he didn't really do anything wrong. From what I heard, this started when his wife posted on something on Facebook along the lines of it being the end of an era and looking forward to the next steps in life. After that, the media started digging and the Cubs put out word that he would retire after his next appearance. It sounded douchey, but only because it was announced beforehand. I don't think he set out to make this all about him.

SI1020
05-18-2012, 04:48 PM
The Cub announcers mentioned it, I was forced to watch the Cubs WGN feed. I will take the Hawk any day over Casper. I will too. He is beyond awful.

SOXPHILE
05-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Joe Crede was a big part of a team that won a World Series. Kerry Wood was not. It could be argued that Joe Crede was the MVP of that World Series. I don't mind a round of applause or even a standing ovation for a guy in either of these cases. But Wood is and always has been one of the most overhyped, and overloved players I've ever seen. The length of that ovation, and then the curtain call, I just think it was more than a bit excessive. It wasn't Sandy Koufax or Tom Seaver walking off the mound.

Boondock Saint
No doubt, but if you add up his whole body of work, it trends towards being very average. That being said, Crede's one of my favorite players & he's pretty well loved among the Sox fans, and would likely get the same treatment from Sox fans that Wood got today from the Wrigley faithful. So would AJ.

/Just sayin'

But the point is that those guys won the Sox their first World Series in 88 years. Kerry Wood didn't win anything. On the contrary, he gave up seven earned in game 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

LITTLE NELL
I will too. He is beyond awful.

The guy that replaced Casper in Miami is worse, if thats possible.

sachin
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Joe Crede was a big part of a team that won a World Series. Kerry Wood was not. It could be argued that Joe Crede was the MVP of that World Series. I don't mind a round of applause or even a standing ovation for a guy in either of these cases. But Wood is and always has been one of the most overhyped, and overloved player I've evern seen. The length of that ovation, and then the curtain call, I just think it was more than a bit excessive. It wasn't Sandy Koufax or Tom Seaver walking off the mound.

Couldn't you make the same argument about Robin Ventura for the Sox, and how upset fans were that he might be traded to the Mets back in the 90s? Ventura didn't win ANYTHING for the Sox, but he's still one of the favorite players among Sox fans.

It doesn't make any difference either way, and I thought it was touching that the fans cheered him for his service to the team. It also doesn't cost any more to be nice, so the crowd reaction was really sweet, IMHO.

WhiteSox5187
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Joe Crede was a big part of a team that won a World Series. Kerry Wood was not. It could be argued that Joe Crede was the MVP of that World Series. I don't mind a round of applause or even a standing ovation for a guy in either of these cases. But Wood is and always has been one of the most overhyped, and overloved players I've ever seen. The length of that ovation, and then the curtain call, I just think it was more than a bit excessive. It wasn't Sandy Koufax or Tom Seaver walking off the mound.

Kerry Wood played an integral part in the '03 Cubs, a team that came 5 outs away from the first World Series since 1945. He was a key factor behind the flukey '98 team that came out of nowhere and won 90 games. He saved 34 games for the '08 Cubs. He contributed a lot to what little success the Cubs have had over the years. The fact that he continued to pitch down the stretch in '98 and '03 when he was hurting (as opposed to Prior who would go on the DL with a hang nail) endeared him to Cub fans. I can see why he got the standing ovation, it wasn't his fault that the teams he was on couldn't get over the hump.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't care how the Cubs choose to honor Wood.

They have to take solace in something to ameliorate the dull ache of a century of losing, broken only by the sting of their epic choke jobs.

I think any member of the 2005 Sox deserves a standing ovation for his part in the team's accomplishment.

SCCWS
05-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Rios' bonehead play in the 9th, ).

HUH??? How is losing a ball in the sun a bonehead play. If he went out w/o sunglasses, then it would be. Everyone who has played the outfield has lost flyballs in the sun. I remember a few Jim Landis even lost

doublem23
05-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Crede helped us win something in a big way.

OK, take it back to Ventura who never helped us win anything (at least nothing more than any of Kerry Wood's Cub teams) and didn't have a Hall of Fame type career, but he got a standing O from the Sox and fans his first game back with the Yankees. I remember, I was there.

sachin
05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't care how the Cubs choose to honor Wood.

They have to take solace in something to ameliorate the dull ache of a century of losing, broken only by the sting of their epic choke jobs.

I think any member of the 2005 Sox deserves a standing ovation for his part in the team's accomplishment.

That includes Shingo, Dustin Hermanson, Gooch, Geoff Blum, Damaso Marte, Timo, etc.?

Frontman
05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Three great things to come out of this game:

Sox win.

Paulie being ok.

No more Kerry Wood talk in a week or so (give the Kaplan's and co. time to mourn over his passing......I mean, retirement.)

Boondock Saint
05-18-2012, 05:00 PM
OK, take it back to Ventura who never helped us win anything (at least nothing more than any of Kerry Wood's Cub teams) and didn't have a Hall of Fame type career, but he got a standing O from the Sox and fans his first game back with the Yankees. I remember, I was there.

A standing ovation is fine. But having his kid waiting for him outside the dugout, shaking hands with the entire team on the mound when he departs and a curtain call? It's excessive and silly.

doublem23
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
But the point is that those guys won the Sox their first World Series in 88 years. Kerry Wood didn't win anything. On the contrary, he gave up seven earned in game 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

I thought we had moved on beyond attributing a team's accomplishments from a player's individual accomplishments. Willie Harris won more World Series titles than Barry Bonds, FWIW

Frontman
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
That includes Shingo, Dustin Hermanson, Gooch, Geoff Blum, Damaso Marte, Timo, etc.?

Yeah, it does. The entire roster of the 2005 club deserve the fans respect. First time back, we would applaud them. Granted, some never returned against us; but its a sign of respect.

I will say this to put it into perspective. Frank Thomas played in very few games in 2005. He contributed however in some incredible hits (and a few major home runs) during that short time that might of made the difference between winning the division and not making the playoffs.

Frank deserved that ring he got, even though he didn't play one play during the 2005 post season.

Every single member of that team and coaching staff deserve the fans respect.

sachin
05-18-2012, 05:04 PM
A standing ovation is fine. But having his kid waiting for him outside the dugout, shaking hands with the entire team on the mound when he departs and a curtain call? It's excessive and silly.

Carlton Fisk got a FRIGGING MOTORCYCLE driven out by Bo Jackson on the night he broke the all-time catching record and was released the next day. C'mon, it's sports. Enjoy it.

SoxSpeed22
I would start thinking twice before declaring Beckham a bust. Humber and Reed were also very good today.
Just hope Paulie's ok.

Boondock Saint
I thought we had moved on beyond attributing a team's accomplishments from a player's individual accomplishments. Willie Harris won more World Series titles than Barry Bonds, FWIW

But we're talking about a guy who had a spectacularly average career outside of a handful of pretty good seasons.

JB98
05-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I don't know if the Samardjiza thing was intentional or not but it was a bit disappointing that we didn't really retaliate. We threw behind Lahair but our guys have been getting hit waaay too often without a response for far too long now.

As for Kerry Wood's ovation, I think the guy deserved it. He never lived up to his hype but he worked hard, was a good clubhouse guy and left a lot of money on the table to come back to the Cubs even going so far as to say that he felt "he owed them a lot more than he gave." Having said that, I have met Kerry Wood and he is a very nice guy. I don't mind him getting recognized for a standing ovation.

It was good to see Reed pitch over that error by Rios, I had a sinking feeling when I saw that happen but Reed didn't seem to flinch. Let's win tomorrow.

I'm actually content with how the Sox responded. Yeah, Humber missed LaHair, but the message was still sent. Then, the Sox went on and won the game, which is what you're there to do.

Boondock Saint
05-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Carlton Fisk got a FRIGGING MOTORCYCLE driven out by Bo Jackson on the night he broke the all-time catching record and was released the next day. C'mon, it's sports. Enjoy it.

He's a hall of famer!

Wedema
05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
The Cub announcers mentioned it, I was forced to watch the Cubs WGN feed. I will take the Hawk any day over Casper.

My favorite Hawk line today was when Samardzija was taken out and he said , "Grab some bench Samardzija". He was still pissed at the pitch to Paulie.

October26
05-18-2012, 05:19 PM

+1

I was at work today so I'm hoping to watch the replay of today's game on Comcast tonight.

Always great to be able to say (I still miss John Rooney):

:winner

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Why not? I'm not saying their numbers should be retired, but a standing ovation upon their first return to the Cell is appropriate for any player who played for the Sox in 2005.

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
HUH??? How is losing a ball in the sun a bonehead play. If he went out w/o sunglasses, then it would be. Everyone who has played the outfield has lost flyballs in the sun. I remember a few Jim Landis even lost

Maybe- but you can also position yourself as an OF so you get away from the glare- Stone was commenting on this during the broadcast.

Not an easy play- but not completely blameless either.

JB98
05-18-2012, 05:28 PM
FWIW, Kaplan and Hollandsworth were whining on CTL about how bush league the White Sox supposedly are for throwing at LaHair. That pleases me. We pissed them off. Good.

cws05champ
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Exactly, just enjoy sports......yes Wood was over hyped for years by the Cub faithful and the Tribune, and that's why we are cynical of the ovation by their fans. But by all accounts he is a good guy that is retiring on his own terms and if you can't see the beauty and emotion of having his son running out on the field, I don't know what to tell you.

Enjoy the Sox win, and enjoy that he is no longer on the Cubs.

I'm actually content with how the Sox responded. Yeah, Humber missed LaHair, but the message was still sent. Then, the Sox went on and won the game, which is what you're there to do.

I don't understand why the Cubs would be upset with Humber for throwing behind LaHair. The Sox captain was hit in the face, and while not intentional it happened. The Sox had to retaliate, and they sent a message and that was that.

Now the Cubs have a right to be upset about that play at 2B with Beckham pushing DeJesus off the bag. That was a BS call but I'll take it.

fisk4ever
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Of course, the Fisk tribute wasn't during the actual game. I didn't mind the Wood stuff too much, but I'm glad it didn't last any longer than it did. t

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Exactly, just enjoy sports......yes Wood was over hyped for years by the Cub faithful and the Tribune, and that's why we are cynical of the ovation by their fans. But by all accounts he is a good guy that is retiring on his own terms and if you can't see the beauty and emotion of having his son running out on the field, I don't know what to tell you.

Perfectly stated.

I am very cynical about all things "Cubbie"- but Wood seem so widely respected and the moment with his son was clearly very genuine for both of them-so a pretty cool way for anyone to end their professional career.

If I can walk out of my office someday to applause and my son waiting for me- I'll be a happy man.

WisSoxFan
05-18-2012, 05:36 PM
I thought it was awesome that his son met him just outside the dugout. I have two boys about that same age and they meet me in the handshake line after virtually every game I coach, win or lose, to give me a hug and say "good game dad." It's great and frankly I don't care if anyone else thinks it's douchy. I would have given him an ovation if I was at the game and I'm not Cub fan!

Wedema
05-18-2012, 05:40 PM
FWIW, Kaplan and Hollandsworth were whining on CTL about how bush league the White Sox supposedly are for throwing at LaHair. That pleases me. We pissed them off. Good.

Hollandsworth didn't have the guts to complain on the Post Game Show though as he was sitting right next to The Big Hurt. Frank would have ate him alive!

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Kind of lost in the shuffle is the impact our young guys played in this game- Viciedo, Beckham, Humber, Jones, Reed and the Sox continue to play solid defense day in/day out-

ElevenUp
05-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Kaplan annoys the hell out of me. You just know if it was the other way around he would be saying "that is how baseball is played" blah, blah, blah.

fisk4ever
05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
\Now the Cubs have a right to be upset about that play at 2B with Beckham pushing DeJesus off the bag. That was a BS call but I'll take it.

I thought we got away with one there!

soxinem1
05-18-2012, 05:45 PM

34,000 was probably announced because 34 was retiring....

soxinem1
05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Kaplan annoys the hell out of me. You just know if it was the other way around he would be saying "that is how baseball is played" blah, blah, blah.

He's lucky a hit squad wasn't sent after Michael Barrett a few years ago. :angry:

amsteel
05-18-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't think SmarjiafsfaFDVA was throwing at PK, since if you want to hit a guy you throw a straight 4 seam fastball, not a cutter or 2 seam or whatever he threw. That being said he has a track record of throwing at guys that take him deep.

Good on the bullpen for winning/saving the game. Reed continues to strengthen his argument to be the unquestioned closer.

Cubs fans love Wood less for his accomplishments and more for the associated good feelings associated with his time with the Cubs (4 playoff appearances, 20 K game). Give him his 2 minutes of standing O. If they decide to retire his #, that's a whole 'nother thing since he's not even a borderline HOFer. That'd be a joke.

TDog
05-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Imagine how hard they would have been whining if their best hitter put their team ahead with a two-run homer in the first and in his second plate appearance was hit in the face by a pitch and forced to leave the game.

A nice win for the Sox, though, in a game that could have gotten away from them. Not only did Konerko have to come out of the game, but Viciedo wasn't available to come off the bench to pinch hit. Perhaps the Sox caught a break when Viciedo was in left to make a play at second in what could have been a double for the Cubs, but that didn't even things out.

The Cubs pitcher with the eye-chart line on his back is lucky he didn't get one between the eyes when he came up to bat.

Today's game played in a very similar way to last Sunday's game against the Royals, although today Thornton had second and third with one out instead of two. This time the hit only scored one. I wounder the go-ahead run would have tried to score if Dunn were still out in left. Viciedo had given the Cubs a reason not to run on him. Funny how that worked out. From there, of course, it was just a matter of getting a run and having the bullpen hold the Cubs. Even the sun double didn't help the Cubs.

The Cubs only two three swings at Thornton for a hit and two outs. At least, that's what I read. Aside from Thornton giving the Cubs' pitcher (who had the game's only hit with a runner in scoring position) too good of a pitch to hit, and the last pitch to Konerko, this was pretty much the way you draw up a win against a pitcher who has a very good day.

I hope this only stokes the fire in Konerko and this afternoon's game doesn't go down as a somber win.

mahagga73
05-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Couldn't you make the same argument about Robin Ventura for the Sox, and how upset fans were that he might be traded to the Mets back in the 90s? Ventura didn't win ANYTHING for the Sox, but he's still one of the favorite players among Sox fans.

It doesn't make any difference either way, and I thought it was touching that the fans cheered him for his service to the team. It also doesn't cost any more to be nice, so the crowd reaction was really sweet, IMHO.
Wood was loyal to the Cubs,for some reason,so he holds a special place to the Cubs fan.I thought it was a pretty neat scene.Ventura was a superior player to Wood though easily.

cards press box
05-18-2012, 06:22 PM

Boy, they sure were. I liked the way the Sox and Robin Ventura handled the situation. There was no drama -- only a pitch behind LaHair to make a point. And based on the reaction of Kaplan and Hollandsworth, I guess the point was made. Good job.

DumpJerry
05-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I read in the Tribune that today's game was the smallest crowd at the Urinal for a Sox/Cub game ever. Ok, they called it "Wrigley," but the story had other typos...

I was at today's game. I was at Buehrle's last game in a Sox uni last year. We gave Burlls a better ovation than they gave Wood today. Take that, Kaplan. (At first I just sat there and then got up and tipped my hat for Game 7 of the 2003 NLCS).

doublem23
05-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Wood was loyal to the Cubs,for some reason,so he holds a special place to the Cubs fan.I thought it was a pretty neat scene.Ventura was a superior player to Wood though easily.

Probably but Wood's career was ravaged by injuries

tebman
05-18-2012, 06:29 PM

Kaplan's an ass. He annoys me because he has a job.

I caught his act once, and that was enough. Every time I read a quote from that toadying boor I'm reminding again why I don't watch his program or listen to his radio show.

I have absolutely no doubt that he would discuss the reverse situation just as you described. Harrelson is a flagrant homer, but his emotion swings both ways as fits the quality of the game and he understands what real life is like on the field. Kaplan is a Cub/WGN lickspittle and isn't capable of that.

Dick Allen
05-18-2012, 06:37 PM
I had no problem with the Wood standing O, etc. It's just too bad Viciedo couldn't have taken him deep. Would he have gotten the same response from the fans?

DumpJerry
05-18-2012, 06:40 PM
The Sox should have Wilbur Wood Night for the first Sox/Cub game this year at Comiskey.

The press release can say "Sox to honor Wood." That'll draw Kaplan and Sarah Spain onto our turf......

October26
05-18-2012, 06:45 PM
The Sox should have Wilbur Wood Night for the first Sox/Cub game this year at Comiskey.

The press release can say "Sox to honor Wood." That'll draw Kaplan and Sarah Spain onto our turf......

:lol:

Wedema
05-18-2012, 06:47 PM
I had no problem with the Wood standing O, etc. It's just too bad Viciedo couldn't have taken him deep. Would he have gotten the same response from the fans?

Of course it woudl have gotten the same response-- Cub fans are used to losing!

Brian26
05-18-2012, 06:48 PM

/Just sayin'

The difference is Crede and AJ have World Series rings. Wood has a nice May game against the Astros and a game 7 nlcs meltdown on his resume.

RadioheadRocks
05-18-2012, 07:03 PM

game

set

match

DickAllen72
05-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Just like the Cubs to stop the game for five minutes to celebrate mediocrity.

Paulie with the big home run then gets hit in the eye. Nice to see one slip out of Humber's hand but too bad it didn't slip when Samardija was up. Ventura handled the press conference the way it's supposed to be done, a refreshing change from the way it's been handled the past several seasons.

Nice job by Reed and a great game by Gordon Beckham.

Let's sweep these bums!

Brian26
05-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Paulie with the big home run then gets hit in the eye. Nice to see one slip out of Humber's hand but too bad it didn't slip when Samardija was up.

If one is going to slip, you want it to accidentally slip when their best or 2nd best player is up at the plate, not some medicore pitcher.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2012, 07:18 PM
You guys have to consider that all the Cubs fans know is mediocrity, so they have much lower standards than we Sox fans do when deciding who to give an ovation to!

DumpJerry
05-18-2012, 07:23 PM
There was no delay any longer than the delay for a curtain call after a clutch home run. Thirty, maybe forty seconds at the most.

tstrike2000
05-18-2012, 07:34 PM

Carlton Fisk is also in the Hall of Fame.

Frontman
05-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Yes, but the whole point would be, do we really WANT them at the Cell?

I feel for a friend of mine who has to work with Kaplan. She probably has to bite her tongue a few times as the man comes across as such an ass.

DumpJerry
05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Yes, but the whole point would be, do we really WANT them at the Cell?

I feel for a friend of mine who has to work with Kaplan. She probably has to bite her tongue a few times as the man comes across as such an ass.
My sympathies to your friend. I hope the job pays well.

I ran into Sarah Spain at Comiskey once. She was in the beer garden interviewing Sox fans about.......Scottie Pippin.:scratch::?:

DickAllen72
05-18-2012, 07:41 PM
There was no delay any longer than the delay for a curtain call after a clutch home run. Thirty, maybe forty seconds at the most.

Sure sounded longer on the radio, but maybe it was because they stayed with the broadcast instead of going to a commercial during the pitching change. But it sure seemed longer than the average pitching change. Also having his kid run on the field for a staged hug.

Celebration of mediocrity. That's the Cubs.

DumpJerry
05-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Sure sounded longer on the radio, but maybe it was because they stayed with the broadcast instead of going to a commercial during the pitching change. But it sure seemed longer than the average pitching change. Also having his kid run on the field for a staged hug.

Celebration of mediocrity. That's the Cubs.
You have a point there.

Celebrating mediocrity....I don't fault the Cubs for doing that since they have not had anything above that to celebrate.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2012, 07:53 PM
LaHair tells the Tribune tonight he's upset that pitch went behind his head.

Should have drilled his happy ass right in the ribs.

Lip

SBSoxFan
05-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Now the Cubs have a right to be upset about that play at 2B with Beckham pushing DeJesus off the bag. That was a BS call but I'll take it.

Actually, the runner's foot came off the bag before Beckham ran him over. That's why he was called out.

Boondock Saint
05-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Lip

Sox should give him something to piss and moan about tomorrow.

Tragg
05-18-2012, 08:01 PM

Lip

It didn't go behind his head. It went behind his shoulders.
He should tell his pitcher to quit losing pitches at another hitters face and no one will throw behind his shoulders.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2012, 08:02 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?tcid=mm_cws_vid&c_id=cws (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21543313&topic_id=8878818&c_id=cws)

Apparently the San Jose Sharks' captain pitches for the White Sox. (Click on "Beckham's Blast gives White Sox wild win" video.)

Wedema
05-18-2012, 08:14 PM
For those who missed it, the game is being replayed right now on Comcast.

Jerko
05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
It didn't go behind his head. It went behind his shoulders.
He should tell his pitcher to quit losing pitches at another hitters face and no one will throw behind his shoulders.

Thank you. That pitch was nowhere near the head. This guy on the score right now is embarrassing.

MeteorsSox4367
05-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Sox should give him something to piss and moan about tomorrow.

I'm watching the replay now because I was working this afternoon and they showed Samardzija in the Cub dugout yelling out the phrase "bleeping (kitties)" after the pitch behind LaHair.

I would have preferred the Sox drill Samardzija in the ass or ribs and been done with it, but I understand them drilling LaHair since he's the Cubs first baseman.

Nice to hear Hawk getting all feisty about Samardzija's comments.

DrCrawdad
05-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Lip

You're right, and the Sox should do what exactly when the Cubbie pitcher HITS Konerko in the face?

One other thing, I've heard repeatedly today that Humber threw at LaHair's head. WRONG! It was too high, true, but it wasn't AT his head. It was at the level of the name on the back of his uniform. It only went near the level of his head when LaHair ducked down.

Phil Rogers has an interesting commentary today about the incident. Phil said that for all Guillen's bravado and boasting Sox pitchers in the Ozzie-era did NOT cover their hitters by retaliating. Guillen is usually judged by the time his rookie reliever didn't retaliate but that was the exception. The rule, or MO during the Ozzie-era was to do nothing. I'm glad things have changed.

LaHair and whining Cubbie fans, deal with it. You've hit Paul Konerko twice in the head. A pitch behind the back of your AAAA first baseman, be happy one of yours didn't get hurt too.

Frontman
05-18-2012, 08:32 PM
There's a moron commenting on David Schuster's post on Facebook saying Konerko should not only have stayed in the game, but should of charged the mound. :rolleyes:

Boondock Saint
05-18-2012, 08:46 PM
There's a moron commenting on David Schuster's post on Facebook saying Konerko should not only have stayed in the game, but should of charged the mound. :rolleyes:

I imagine it's really easy to say something like that when you're actually not getting hit in the face with a five ounce object traveling at 85 miles per hour.

StillMissOzzie
05-18-2012, 09:02 PM

I didn't see the telecast but I was wondering - last year, or maybe the year before, a ball was hit to Soriano that he misplayed. Steve Stone had a snippy remark like, "That's what happens you you play a born DH in the field." I was wondering if he had anything to say about that ball that went for a double in LF today.

SMO
:?::scratch::gulp:

hawkjt
05-18-2012, 09:17 PM
I didn't see the telecast but I was wondering - last year, or maybe the year before, a ball was hit to Soriano that he misplayed. Steve Stone had a snippy remark like, "That's what happens you you play a born DH in the field." I was wondering if he had anything to say about that ball that went for a double in LF today.

SMO

Big difference....Dunn is out in left field today for the first time all year...Soriano is their regular left fielder ....every day....get the difference?

Frontman
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
I imagine it's really easy to say something like that when you're actually not getting hit in the face with a five ounce object traveling at 85 miles per hour.

He claims that he played college ball and it was a "off speed" pitch that hit Paul, and if Paul was man enough, he would of not only stayed, but charged JS on the mound.

I pointed out he (the poster) was clearly the toughest man ever to play baseball, no wait, ANY sport. I mean, tougher than Jim Brown/Ali/Bobby Hull combined if he could take a baseball off the chin and stay in the game........

hawkjt
05-18-2012, 09:33 PM
For all the whining by some fans and media how tiresome this series is...I much prefer it to playing the Royals or Twins or A's 6 more times....good stuff today.

My take:

1. PK is smoking hot at the plate with the laser homer in the 1st which was his 6th hit in 8 at bats. Say what you want about the faceball from Smarmy...it too our hottest hitter off the field for the series,which a huge plus for the Cubs.

2. Gordo is coming around. Homer taken away twice in California,he comes back with a homer and a single and a laser that was caught. We need ya,Gordo. His glove is tremendous,so if he hits,we get both in the lineup.

3. The faceball from Smarmy was clocked at 87 mph. That does not mean he did not want to back PK off the plate with it. He gave up a homer to Jason Heyward earlier this year,then hit him next time up. Not saying he wanted to hit PK in the face,but I think he wanted to brush him back,and if he hit him,so be it..with two out nobody on. Too much evidence of a perfect situation to hit someone to completely dismiss it.

4. Initially, I wanted Smarmy hit, but in retrospect, Humber and Robin handled it correctly...send the message to their best hitter,behind his shoulders. No real danger,but letting them know the Sox are there. I think it was handled well,right down to Gordo's postgame saying they knew that Smarmy was not throwing at PK,to Robin's total poker face in the postgame saying there was nothing going on,to Humbers '' it slipped'' in the postgame. Stark contrast to Ozzie's handling,which would have resulted in suspensions or warning and probably no message sent.

5. Love the physicality of Gordo's play at second ....make the ump call it,and the Sox got a break...fine. That is a Bobby Grich play by Gordo..love it.

6. My favorite Hawk line,as he started to steam thru the game,after Stoney pointed out the yelling Smarmy at Humber between innings....when Alexei hit the liner right at Smarmy....from Hawk '' almost knocked his ponytail off!''.... love it! Hawk was steamed.

7. Gordo's homer in the 8th was so sweet,coming off the triumphant Smarmy. Thornton? Not so good giving up the first hit of the year by Smarmy. It has reached the point that Matt cannnot get any rightys out ...even 0 for the season pitchers....ouch.

8. Jones and Reed have lightningbolts in their arms... nice.

9. Rios had a tough sun out there,but needs to figure out how to get an angle...looked like disaster with supersub coming up to hit,but Reed was overpowering.

10. Best news....being reported now that PK's condition looks clean at this point...no vision issues,no concussion,no fractures,...abrasions and black eye only....tomorrow they can verify it....get well quick PK!!

Nice Win,Sox!

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM

SMO

He didn't- but he should have.

TomBradley72
05-18-2012, 09:58 PM
5. Love the physicality of Gordo's play at second ....make the ump call it,and the Sox got a break...fine. That is a Bobby Grich play by Gordo..love it.

:clap:

Brian26
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM

SMO

I'm watching the game on DVR. Stone has been pretty good today. I think I heard him actually cheer for the White Sox or the first time in four years after Beckham's homerun "AND THE SOX TAKE THE LEAD!". Yet, he's critical of Rios after the 9th inning drop:
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/stevestonecubs.jpg
"Unbelievable. Unbelievable."

:hawk
"That is. That's Unbelievable."

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2012, 10:04 PM
I just got home from work and did not see the game nor read through this thread. What is the consensus on Samardzija's HBP on Konerko?

Brian26
05-18-2012, 10:06 PM
6. My favorite Hawk line,as he started to steam thru the game,after Stoney pointed out the yelling Smarmy at Humber between innings....when Alexei hit the liner right at Smarmy....from Hawk '' almost knocked his ponytail off!''.... love it! Hawk was steamed.

Hawk also told him to grab some bench after Quirk took him out.

DrCrawdad
05-18-2012, 10:08 PM
I just got home from work and did not see the game nor read through this thread. What is the consensus on Samardzija's HBP on Konerko?

That it was not intentional. Apparently though Smarmy has a history of accidentally hitting batters after they hit a HR against him.

Brian26
05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
He claims that he played college ball and it was a "off speed" pitch that hit Paul, and if Paul was man enough, he would of not only stayed, but charged JS on the mound.

Tell that poster that if he was man enough, he'd sign up to a real baseball site where he'd get his ass ripped apart in five minutes.

David Shuster's the clown-ass that guaranteed on the radio the Cubs would win the World Series in 2004 after they traded for Nomar at the deadline.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Hawk:

Five will get you 10 PK is back in the lineup before Monday.

Lip

MISoxfan
05-18-2012, 10:20 PM

I think he proved against Pavano that if it isn't serious he's not coming out of the game.

The Immigrant
05-18-2012, 10:47 PM
That it was not intentional. Apparently though Smarmy has a history of accidentally hitting batters after they hit a HR against him.

Before Beckham's homerun, Samardzija had given up 3 homeruns all year. After 2 of the 3 homeruns, the batter was hit in the upper body in the very next at bat.

RadioheadRocks
05-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Before Beckham's homerun, Samardzija had given up 3 homeruns all year. After 2 of the 3 homeruns, the batter was hit in the upper body in the very next at bat.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmm.

DrCrawdad
05-18-2012, 11:02 PM

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmm.

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/140085140.jpg?w=219&h=300=http://www.whosyourvulva.com/storage/post-images/douchebag.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=132573611 1826

fram40
05-18-2012, 11:06 PM
David Shuster's the clown-ass that guaranteed on the radio the Cubs would win the World Series in 2004 after they traded for Nomar at the deadline.

Schuster also stated that the Bulls would still sweep the 76ers after the game one win - and Rose injury. Amazing how wrong so many in the press can be.

Good win for the Sox. Now we need Danks to stup up.

fram40
05-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Hawk:

Five will get you 10 PK is back in the lineup before Monday.

Lip

He'll pitch hit on Saturday and will start at 1B on Sunday

Zakath
05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
I've just watched the reply of that pitch and the sign looked to me like UP and IN not saying he def. threw for the head but its certainly questionable.

Well done to the guys for keeping the head and winning the game.

The first call was for a fastball up, and Samardzija shook it off. He then called for the outside splitter and set up for that pitch. You're not going to nail a guy for hitting a homer off of you with an offspeed pitch. You're going to throw inside, but not at his head.

If the Sox had thought it was intentional, that pitch to LaHair nails him. Clearly they didn't, and it was behind him as somewhat of a formality (hey, we know you didn't mean it, but we can't do nothing about it).

The important thing was beating them where it counts. The Cubs haven't won the season series since 2007, and winning the first game reminds them of that. We now need a strong performance from Danks tomorrow against what is easily the Cubs' best pitcher in Dempster, who has gotten pretty much zilch in terms of run support from his club.

LongLiveFisk
05-18-2012, 11:22 PM
http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/140085140.jpg?w=219&h=300

Doesn't he play the obnoxious neighbor in "Office Space"? :tongue:

doublem23
05-18-2012, 11:27 PM
We now need a strong performance from Danks tomorrow against what is easily the Cubs' best pitcher in Dempster, who has gotten pretty much zilch in terms of run support from his club.

Danks and Dempster is like a Megabowl for Poor Run Support. I don't know if its possible to score negative runs in a game, but I'm sure one of these two pathetic teams will figure out how to get it done if they can.

doublem23
05-18-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm watching the game on DVR. Stone has been pretty good today. I think I heard him actually cheer for the White Sox or the first time in four years after Beckham's homerun "AND THE SOX TAKE THE LEAD!".

I think it's pretty clear that Stone hates the Cubs.

Zakath
05-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Doesn't he play the obnoxious neighbor in "Office Space"? :tongue:

I'm not sure Samardzija could get two chicks at once, and he's got more than a million...

DrCrawdad
05-18-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm not sure Samardzija could get two chicks at once, and he's got more than a million...

He might be able to get these two chicks...

http://www.cityfarmer.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/hens.jpg

cws05champ
05-18-2012, 11:49 PM
http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/140085140.jpg?w=219&h=300=http://www.whosyourvulva.com/storage/post-images/douchebag.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=132573611 1826

Looks like Captain Morgan to me....

TaylorStSox
05-18-2012, 11:58 PM

I'm one of the few Sox fans that doesn't hate the Cubs. I don't care enough. You know what I do hate? That guys hair, mustache and, most of all, Notre Dame.

BigHurt3515
05-19-2012, 12:02 AM
The first call was for a fastball up, and Samardzija shook it off. He then called for the outside splitter and set up for that pitch. You're not going to nail a guy for hitting a homer off of you with an offspeed pitch. You're going to throw inside, but not at his head.

If the Sox had thought it was intentional, that pitch to LaHair nails him. Clearly they didn't, and it was behind him as somewhat of a formality (hey, we know you didn't mean it, but we can't do nothing about it).

Or Humber was suppose to hit him and somehow missed. We will never know

hawkjt
05-19-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm one of the few Sox fans that doesn't hate the Cubs. I don't care enough. You know what I do hate? That guys hair, mustache and, most of all, Notre Dame.

I happened to catch an Ed Farmer line on the radio broadcast in the inning after PK got hit....

'' well,one guy the Sox do not want to rush on the mound would be Smarmy''

Ed is such a big ND football fan,he seems to think that the Sox should cower in the presence of the big ND football player on the mound.

I disagree, Ed.

Irishsox1
05-19-2012, 02:27 AM

Yawn!

DrCrawdad
05-19-2012, 06:20 AM
I happened to catch an Ed Farmer line on the radio broadcast in the inning after PK got hit....

'' well,one guy the Sox do not want to rush on the mound would be Smarmy''

Ed is such a big ND football fan,he seems to think that the Sox should cower in the presence of the big ND football player on the mound.

I disagree, Ed.

I don't think meant it like that. I think Farmer was referring to the fact that Smarmy is a football player and a fairly big dude, probably not a good person to pick a fight with.

wassagstdu
05-19-2012, 07:27 AM

Are you serious? Tadahito Iguchi was a KEY part of the 2005 team. They would not have won without him. Of course, his contribution was via many of the "little" things that some Sox fans disdain. Take away his postseason HR, would you have added Pods to that list?

slavko
05-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Are you serious? Tadahito Iguchi was a KEY part of the 2005 team. They would not have won without him. Of course, his contribution was via many of the "little" things that some Sox fans disdain. Take away his postseason HR, would you have added Pods to that list?

And Hermie, 34 saves until his arm fell off, Giant Set of Stones. I'd come out to cheer for him.

DumpJerry
05-19-2012, 08:29 AM
http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/140085140.jpg?w=219&h=300
I was at the game with my friend who is a Cub STH. I kept teasing him that the Cubs don't pay the guy enough money because he seems to need to supplement his income doing porno flicks. My friend had a hard time denying this.....

guillensdisciple
05-19-2012, 08:54 AM
You know, someone has to create the equivalent of the twins are crappy they are perpetual losers for the cubs.

October26
05-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm watching the replay now because I was working this afternoon and they showed Samardzija in the Cub dugout yelling out the phrase "bleeping (kitties)" after the pitch behind LaHair.

I would have preferred the Sox drill Samardzija in the ass or ribs and been done with it, but I understand them drilling LaHair since he's the Cubs first baseman.

Nice to hear Hawk getting all feisty about Samardzija's comments.

I also watched the replay of the game last night. I was surprised at how many runners the Cubs had on base (almost every inning) and happy to see Humber pitch out of many sticky situations.

As to whether Samardzija threw at Paulie or not, that question remains unanswered in my mind. You're right Hawk was feisty during the broadcast yesterday. First Hawk said he didn't think Samardzija intentionally tried to hit Paulie and then when he saw Samardzija yappin' in the dugout, Hawk recanted and said he wasn't so sure. I thought Robin & the Sox did a great job and took care of business yesterday.

What matters to me after everything is said & done is that the Sox won the game & Paulie will be okay (hopefully).

hawkjt
05-19-2012, 09:36 AM
The Smarmy File for 2012:

Total Pitches thrown in competition= 692
Total Pitches that have hit opposing batters= 2
Total Homers given up= 4
Total times that players have hit homers,and then faced Smarmy again in the same game= 2 (Heyward of Braves and PK of Sox).
Total times those players were hit by pitch= 2...100% of guys who have hit homers off of Smarmy have been hit by pitch later in game.

Other homers off of Smarmy this year= Beckham...Smarmy is taken out of game immediately after and Dave Larouche in the first game of the year with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th, Smarmy taken out of game immediately.

So, to review, every single batter who has hit a homer off of Smarmy this year has been hit in the next at bat.
No other batter has been hit all year by Smarmy.

It is such a weird concidence that the only 2 pitches that ''got away'' out of 692 thrown,happen to be at the only two guys who hit homers off of Smarmy....crazy concidence.

Now, of course it was a ''splitter''...that is defense of Smarmy....but you wonder if Smarmy actually would want to come up and in with his 98mph fastball and actually risk killing an opposing player? Maybe he figures an 87mph would scare that batter but not kill him?

DickAllen72
05-19-2012, 09:41 AM
It is such a weird concidence that the only 2 pitches that ''got away'' out of 692 thrown,happen to be at the only two guys who hit homers off of Smarmy....crazy concidence.

Now, of course it was a ''splitter''...that is defense of Smarmy....but you wonder if Smarmy actually would want to come up and in with his 98mph fastball and actually risk killing an opposing player? Maybe he figures an 87mph would scare that batter but not kill him?
I've had the same thoughts.

SI1020
05-19-2012, 09:56 AM
I've had the same thoughts. Make it three of us.

Zakath
05-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't think meant it like that. I think Farmer was referring to the fact that Smarmy is a football player and a fairly big dude, probably not a good person to pick a fight with.

Dunn's got an inch and at least 50 pounds on him.

Besides, he was a WR. He's used to getting his ass kicked.

hawkjt
05-19-2012, 10:06 AM
A splitfinger fastball is still a fastball,right? The movement on a splitter is basically straight down,right? So I get that you do not throw a curve at a batter,because it might actually curve back over the plate...but a pitch that only breaks down will pretty much hit whatever it is aimed at,right?

To me, if I was going to brush back or hit an opposing batter,and I had a 98mph fastball or a 87 mph splitter, I choose the latter. This pitch seems to be a built-in excuse from the analysts,and so nobody points a finger,and the umps do not toss you, yet you achieve your objective of knocking down the homer-hitting batter. Seems like the best of all worlds for a pitcher...unless he is one mean SOB who really does want to kill the homer-hitting batter.:D:

TomBradley72
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't really care about Smarmy's intent- based on the count and the situation- he'd be an idiot to put PK on base- but I wouldn't put it past him.

But its kind of irrelevent- you hit a veteran All Star in the head- the other team will retaliate- it doesn't matter whether you did it intentionally or because the pitch got away from you.

TaylorStSox
05-19-2012, 11:18 AM
If that guy has enough control of a splitter that he can intentionally hit a batter in the face, he's on his way to the HOF.

SI1020
05-19-2012, 11:25 AM
If that guy has enough control of a splitter that he can intentionally hit a batter in the face, he's on his way to the HOF. He could have intended to brush him back or to hit him but not in the face.

kellykid
05-19-2012, 11:28 AM
He could have intended to brush him back or to hit him but not in the face.

I think his intention was to hit PK, not in the head though. Then to yell an expletive at Humber? Give me a break!

hawkjt
05-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Mike Huff, executive director of Sox Camps was just on the Score,and when asked about the pitch that hit PK,he flatly said there was no doubt in his mind that Smarmy was trying to hit or knock down PK.

He was not angry,just matter of fact. Said that is how the game used to be played,and was better for it.
And he cited the use of the split-finger to brush him back as a less lethal pitch to achieve the intent.

I am glad that finally someone called a spade a spade on the Sox side.
He said that Robin is smartly brushing it off,but that he knows that Robin knows exactly how this game is played,and is nails tough underneath. Same with Mantos,who Huff said was a hard-nose player he played against. They know the score,and they did the right thing.

Tragg
05-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't really care about Smarmy's intent- based on the count and the situation- he'd be an idiot to put PK on base- but I wouldn't put it past him.

But its kind of irrelevent- you hit a veteran All Star in the head- the other team will retaliate- it doesn't matter whether you did it intentionally or because the pitch got away from you.

Indeed. Intent is irrelevant.

I see it more of sending a message (than retaliation): don't do it again.

kittle42
05-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Last year in the first series with the bad guys, the bad guys hit the White Sox a few times. The White Sox did not retaliate. I called Steve Stone on the Score after that series and I asked him if he thought the White Sox would get even with the bad guys in the 2nd series. Stone said he expected some chin music to occur. It never happened. We have 5 more games to get the bad guys. As Hawk pointed out the Cubs pitcher gave up a home run earlier in the year against the Braves and then hit that same batter the next time up. If the White Sox pitchers will not retaliate against the bad guys after what happened today with Konerko, I have a solution. All the White Sox have to do is activate me as a pitcher for one game. I will settle this after the very first Cubs batter comes up to hit. The White Sox don't even have to pay me. I will GLADLY do it for nothing. Secondly, I haven't been surprised that these White Sox Cubs games haven't been selling out. . Both teams double the price of the seats. My season ticket package has me paying $46 for my lower deck box seat ticket. Anybody else ( a non season ticket holder) would pay double that.

How many meatball posts is that for you in the past 24 hours? Geez.

Second, the price had NOTHING to do with this game not being sold out. If either the Cubs or the Sox were playing winning baseball, that place would have been full.

Boondock Saint
05-19-2012, 11:48 AM
If that guy has enough control of a splitter that he can intentionally hit a batter in the face, he's on his way to the HOF.

Right? The list of guys who I can think back on (with my limited baseball memory) who could easily hit a batter in the face with a breaking ball on command looks like this-

Greg Maddux

That's it. And one of Samardzija's biggest flaws as a pitcher? Control of his pitches.

TaylorStSox
05-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Right? The list of guys who I can think back on (with my limited baseball memory) who could easily hit a batter in the face with a breaking ball on command looks like this-

Greg Maddux

That's it. And one of Samardzija's biggest flaws as a pitcher? Control of his pitches.

Curt Schilling's sock.

DumpJerry
05-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Dunn's got an inch and at least 50 pounds on him.

Besides, he was a WR. He's used to getting his ass kicked.
Dunn was a QB at the University of Texas.

#1swisher
05-19-2012, 12:28 PM
How many meatball posts is that for you in the past 24 hours? Geez.

Second, the price had NOTHING to do with this game not being sold out. If either the Cubs or the Sox were playing winning baseball, that place would have been full.

Our group or four, chose not to go based on price this weekend.

#1swisher
05-19-2012, 12:33 PM
AJ: "Gordon had to pick up his dad (Konerko) after he left the game." :redneck

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0519-white-sox-cubs-chicago--20120519,0,3164863.story

kittle42
05-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I chose not to go based on price this weekend.

I engaged in hyperbole, which I hate, making me a hypocrite. :tongue:

#1swisher
05-19-2012, 12:42 PM
I engaged in hyperbole, which I hate, making me a hypocrite. :tongue:

Got it

MisterB
05-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Phil Rogers has an interesting commentary today about the incident. Phil said that for all Guillen's bravado and boasting Sox pitchers in the Ozzie-era did NOT cover their hitters by retaliating. Guillen is usually judged by the time his rookie reliever didn't retaliate but that was the exception. The rule, or MO during the Ozzie-era was to do nothing. I'm glad things have changed.

Well, the typical way umps handle these situations is: Batter gets hit, batter's team retaliates, both teams get a warning.

Unfortunately, Ozzie flapped his gums so much about retaliation early on, the situation became: Sox batter gets hit, both teams get warning. So any attempt at retaliation on the Sox part meant someone getting ejected.

cws05champ
05-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Well, the typical way umps handle these situations is: Batter gets hit, batter's team retaliates, both teams get a warning.

Unfortunately, Ozzie flapped his gums so much about retaliation early on, the situation became: Sox batter gets hit, both teams get warning. So any attempt at retaliation on the Sox part meant someone getting ejected.
That is one of the reasons I am so glad Ozzie is gone!