PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood Retiring Today?

chisoxjtrain
05-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Heard it on 670 the Score and on Lawerence Holmes twitter.
https://twitter.com/#!/LaurenceWHolmes (https://twitter.com/#%21/LaurenceWHolmes)

beasly213
05-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Heard it on 670 the Score and on Lawerence Holmes twitter.
https://twitter.com/#!/LaurenceWHolmes (https://twitter.com/#%21/LaurenceWHolmes)

Giving up almost 3 mill? Man...

#1swisher
05-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Listen @ the score

http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php?version=1.2.14023&station=391

DumpJerry
05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
It would appear so (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-kerry-wood-announces-retirement-report-20120518,0,5284008.story).

I guess he was afraid to face us now that Dunn and Tank are hitting home runs......

aryzner
05-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I can see the future headline now when Buehrle finally hangs them up...

"Why Kerry Wood's Retirement Was More Impressive Than Mark Buehrle's"

soltrain21
05-18-2012, 09:38 AM
I always liked Wood. His body just broke down on him. Enjoy retirement.

hawkjt
05-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Another ploy by a Cub to steal the spotlight off of the Sox-Cubs series?:D:

I wish he had waited because the Sox have killed him over the years...one more bout of Wood-bashing for old times sake?

My favorite memory...that game at Soxpark back in maybe 2003 or 4,Cubs up like 6-0, Wood on the mound,and Sox lit him up for like 8 runs in a comeback win....it was a hot day,and I was in center field, and it was packed....place was going crazy when PK hit a bomb ..fun win!

DumpJerry
05-18-2012, 09:46 AM
On The Score right now they are reporting that Wood might retire after today's game so he can start by facing the first batter in the First and then yielding to the regularly scheduled starter. If he does that, I hope the score is 1-0 after that one at-bat.......

kittle42
05-18-2012, 09:51 AM
I wonder if they'll unveil his statue outside Wrigley this weekend, too. I imagine it will be next to the future Mark Prior statue.

beasly213
05-18-2012, 09:57 AM
On The Score right now they are reporting that Wood might retire after today's game so he can start by facing the first batter in the First and then yielding to the regularly scheduled starter. If he does that, I hope the score is 1-0 after that one at-bat.......

What a joke.

kobo
05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
He should have retired after last season. Good thing his last appearance at home was the one where he threw his glove and hat into the stands. Fitting way to end.

salty99
05-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Good luck in retirement Kerry.

gobears1987
05-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Will he get his number retired? :redneck

Noneck
05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I know I wouldn't retire and give up 3M, no matter what my previous earnings were. I'd let them DL me and then release me.

SOXPHILE
05-18-2012, 10:24 AM
14 year career numbers are 86-75, 63 saves, 3.67 ERA. So, yeah, with a HOF career like that, I fully expect them to retire his number and erect a statue. Stupid Cubs fans. His role now changes from "unofficial" to "official" mascot for the organization and the fans. Look for him to slide into a position either on the radio broadcasting or Cubs pre and postgame on TV. Or a segment as the official "Cubs insider" a couple of times a week on Radio For The Living Dead/Criminally Stupid, WGN.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-18-2012, 10:37 AM
It's been a tough week (and it ain't quite over yet) so seeing this really lifted my spirits. The laughability of it all -- retiring just after he got loudly booed the other day, an event marveled at/bemoaned by the announcers. They say he'll be in the bullpen for this game, which is a very promising scenario. Comes in for brief relief, just to let the crowd say goodbye, but then the outing goes quickly to hell, and he's taken out to Cub fans booing and Sox fans applauding/laughing, singing Na Na Hey Hey.

kittle42
05-18-2012, 10:55 AM
I fully expect them to retire his number and erect a statue. Stupid Cubs fans.

Absolutely. He will get cheered today like he had 300 wins and 3 Cy Young awards in his career.

soxinem1
05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I can see the future headline now when Buehrle finally hangs them up...

"Why Kerry Wood's Retirement Was More Impressive Than Mark Buehrle's"

I prefer this headline:

'CONGRATS ON A FINE CAREER AND FUTURE SIPHOF (SIMULATED INNINGS-PITCHED HALL OF FAME) MEMBER, KERRY WOOD!'

Steelrod
05-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Giving up almost 3 mill? Man...
And the first time he returned, they got a substantial discount. It's rare for a player to care about a team like he did! Makes it hard to dislike him.

34rancher
05-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Is he active for today?
If so, what a ridiculously selfish move. He is a normally a very classy guy. I can't believe that they would let him play.

jdm2662
05-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Just called one of my co-workers who is off today. She wants to throw a huge party in honor of this special day. She's been wanting Wood off the team for the longest time and is tired of hearing about him...

tstrike2000
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
The bronze statue commemorating his 20 K performance is probably being drawn up as we speak.

infohawk
05-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Another ploy by a Cub to steal the spotlight off of the Sox-Cubs series?:D:

I wish he had waited because the Sox have killed him over the years...one more bout of Wood-bashing for old times sake?

My favorite memory...that game at Soxpark back in maybe 2003 or 4,Cubs up like 6-0, Wood on the mound,and Sox lit him up for like 8 runs in a comeback win....it was a hot day,and I was in center field, and it was packed....place was going crazy when PK hit a bomb ..fun win!

I was at that game in the right field seats. You're right, great comeback! It looked bleak early when the Sox fell way behind. I remember thinking "oh well, at least I can look forward to a nice dinner downtown tonight." And then the comeback. If I remember correctly, Paulie was hit in the head by Wood and then homered in his next at-bat. Very cool.

#1swisher
05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
David Kaplan

Spoke to Kerry Wood. If he doesn't get into today's game he will be ready to pitch tomorrow. He will definitely make one more appearance.

soltrain21
05-18-2012, 12:17 PM
David Kaplan

Spoke to Kerry Wood. If he doesn't get into today's game he will be ready to pitch tomorrow. He will definitely make one more appearance.

Surprised Kaplan was able to wipe away the tears long enough to get us a message we all already knew.

KnightSox
05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Surprised Kaplan was able to wipe away the tears long enough to get us a message we all already knew.The tears cost him two keyboards in the process.

jonred
05-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Is he active for today?
If so, what a ridiculously selfish move. He is a normally a very classy guy. I can't believe that they would let him play.

Don't think he planned to have the word get out, but his wife kind of let it slip on Twitter. I'm sure he would have preferred to just pitch one more time and then announce it after the game.

thomas35forever
05-18-2012, 02:10 PM
It's only a shame when you consider what he could have been. Hope he finds better luck in retirement.

TDog
05-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Did he not want to blow another eight-run lead to the White Sox?

soxinem1
05-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Did he not want to blow another eight-run lead to the White Sox?

No, he wants to throw a game-ending grand slam then quickly grab his elbow one more time.

PatK
05-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Is he active for today?

I agree. It is somewhat attention whore-ish behavior.

I'm really hoping he ends up on the DL before appearing again.

#1swisher
05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
STREAMING LIVE: Kerry Wood talking to the media about his retirement. Watch it here:

http://www.csnchicago.com/live_cubs_2012?awid=7658984857536307598-914

sox1970
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
STREAMING LIVE: Kerry Wood talking to the media about his retirement. Watch it here:

http://www.csnchicago.com/live_cubs_2012?awid=7658984857536307598-914

Nah, I'm good.

Frontman
05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Eh, its all good. Personally he should of stayed two more games, go out on Sunday, last time against the White Sox at Wrigley. I wish him well.

(Although I almost died laughing at a coworker who said he should be first ballot Hall of Fame material today.)

Golden Sox
05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
If you really think about it, playing for the Cubs has to be a wonderful thing. Kerry Wood won only a few more games than what he lost and he made over $70 million dollars in his career. After he lost the final game of the playoffs against the Marlins in 2003, he made comments that he felt bad about losing the game and he said he let down the fans in Chicago. I wrote him a letter and said he didn't disappoint me and I was glad he lost the game. He didn't respond to my letter.

Wedema
05-18-2012, 06:43 PM
86 career wins and countless trips to the DL-- what a legend!

SephClone89
05-18-2012, 07:00 PM
If you really think about it, playing for the Cubs has to be a wonderful thing. Kerry Wood won only a few more games than what he lost and he made over $70 million dollars in his career. After he lost the final game of the playoffs against the Marlins in 2003, he made comments that he felt bad about losing the game and he said he let down the fans in Chicago. I wrote him a letter and said he didn't disappoint me and I was glad he lost the game. He didn't respond to my letter.

:dtroll:

DrCrawdad
05-18-2012, 07:53 PM
As is so often the case there is some bit of baseball news, or Sox news, and Cubbie fans (media & general public) make it about the Cubbies.

So, how about this...

How about the class of the Sox players and fans who gave Wood an ovation on his exit. Just another example of the class of the Sox organization and Sox fans.

StillMissOzzie
05-18-2012, 09:06 PM
I know I wouldn't retire and give up 3M, no matter what my previous earnings were. I'd let them DL me and then release me.

He probably figures he stole enough money from them over the years while on the DL

SMO
:o::gulp:

Brian26
05-18-2012, 10:15 PM

:rolling: Ok, you won me over. That is awesome.

DrCrawdad
05-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Kerry Wood's staged retirement:

Wood leaves Cubbies with a K and an L.

Brian26
05-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Wood and Prior combined have less career victories than Jon Garland (credit to Dave Wills' Twitter).

DrCrawdad
05-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Wood and Prior combined have less career victories than Jon Garland (credit to Dave Wills' Twitter).

:rolling:

And Garland also has something Wood can only dream about...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2007/05/chicago-white-sox-world-series-ring-240.jpg

TommyJohn
05-19-2012, 01:08 AM

And Garland also has something Wood can only dream about...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2007/05/chicago-white-sox-world-series-ring-240.jpg

Yeah, but Garland doesn't have 20 strikeouts in one game. That's the most impressive-ist, awesomest feat ever.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 01:59 AM

Well played
:dtroll:

Jeez...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p219/rottncf/miscellaneous%20stuff/sgthulka.jpg

It's baseball.

Bob Roarman
05-19-2012, 06:48 AM
I don't know, I think this kind of bitterness and stupid Sox vs Cubs thing kinda runs it course after a while, gets old pretty quick. By all accounts, seemed like a really great guy, gave a lot back to the community, and gave a lot to charity. No matter what team he played for, I can't really want to have a person like him to go on the DL just because I want to see him out of the game or just because he wants to go out the way he wants to go out. Kinda petty and lame if you ask me.

Saracen
05-19-2012, 06:59 AM
I don't know, I think this kind of bitterness and stupid Sox vs Cubs thing kinda runs it course after a while, gets old pretty quick. By all accounts, seemed like a really great guy, gave a lot back to the community, and gave a lot to charity. No matter what team he played for, I can't really want to have a person like him to go on the DL just because I want to see him out of the game or just because he wants to go out the way he wants to go out. Kinda petty and lame if you ask me.
+1

Shame his career was so marred by injury. Good guy with a ton of talent.

Golden Sox
05-19-2012, 07:57 AM
If you ever wondered how pro Cubs this Chicago media is just look at todays (May 19) Chicago Sun Times. Theres page after page about Kerry Wood retiring. Very little is written about the White Sox victory. Even less was said about Konerko getting beaned on purpose by the Cubs.Its almost as if a future HOF was leaving the game. Wilbur Wood had a better career than Kerry Wood. Most White Sox fans have always noticed how the Chicago Media favors the Cubs, but I think the Sun Times outdid themselves today. Imagine what it would be like if the Cubs actually won a pennant or a Worlds Championship.

sox1970
05-19-2012, 08:14 AM
If you ever wondered how pro Cubs this Chicago media is just look at todays (May 19) Chicago Sun Times. Theres page after page about Kerry Wood retiring. Very little is written about the White Sox victory. Even less was said about Konerko getting beaned on purpose by the Cubs.Its almost as if a future HOF was leaving the game. Wilbur Wood had a better career than Kerry Wood. Most White Sox fans have always noticed how the Chicago Media favors the Cubs, but I think the Sun Times outdid themselves today. Imagine what it would be like if the Cubs actually won a pennant or a Worlds Championship.

What do you like to eat with your meatballs?

Saracen
05-19-2012, 08:38 AM
It's a much bigger story than one crappy baseball team beating another crappy baseball team.

Boondock Saint
05-19-2012, 08:51 AM

No.

DickAllen72
05-19-2012, 09:22 AM
It's a much bigger story than one crappy baseball team beating another crappy baseball team.
A mediocre relief pitcher quitting in the middle of the season is a big story? Only in Cubsville, I guess.

Golden Sox
05-19-2012, 09:23 AM
If Castro hit a home run for the Cubs and then got hit in the face the next time up, do you think it would of been as downplayed as the Sun Times coverage of Konerkos beaning was?

Boondock Saint
05-19-2012, 10:32 AM
If Castro hit a home run for the Cubs and then got hit in the face the next time up, do you think it would of been as downplayed as the Sun Times coverage of Konerkos beaning was?

Probably not. But that doesn't make it intentional.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 02:03 PM

Only if Will Ohman retired mid-game to the thunderous applause of Sox fans... thankful we'd never have to watch him pitch again

#1swisher
05-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Live Presser

http://www.csnchicago.com/live_cubs?awid=6485721464444604404-914

TaylorStSox
05-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, this is the biggest problem I have with the whole Sox/Cubs thing, the pettiness.

I've met Wood a few times, and he was always nice, grounded guy. I don't really take issue with the Cubs celebrating a guy who's career was derailed by injuries. They haven't had much hope and he provided them with some. I get it. It's not like they're putting a statue on the concourse. Hold on? They don't even have a concourse, right? What a dump. :redneck

Bob Roarman
05-19-2012, 04:00 PM

What does that matter? That's just the media's job. Trying to inject something into nothing. I mean, they had the sports cover page of AJ getting punched by Barrett. That was 6 years ago. Who even cares anymore? These are becoming more and more what they probably should become, just 6 more games on the schedule. No stupid storylines or drama (real or created) or ridiculous trophies can change it.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah, this is the biggest problem I have with the whole Sox/Cubs thing, the pettiness.

I've met Wood a few times, and he was always nice, grounded guy. I don't really take issue with the Cubs celebrating a guy who's career was derailed by injuries. They haven't had much hope and he provided them with some. I get it. It's not like they're putting a statue on the concourse. Hold on? They don't even have a concourse, right? What a dump. :redneck

Eh, it's sports, don't take it so seriously. Nobody has commented on Kerry Wood the person outside of the game, the criticism is all between the chalk lines, which is fair game. Frankly, considering the depth I have seen the Cubs/Sox thing go, this is pretty vanilla.

Hope Kerry enjoys his retirement and he remains an active and productive member of the Chicago area. Maybe one day he and Mark Prior can sit down together and reminisce about those great simulated games in their heyday. :cool:

CoopaLoop
05-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Cub or not, that was a really cool moment Kerry had to end his career.

Damn shame, his potential was never reach because of his injuries.

With that said, he is pretty much the perfect mascot for the Cubs.

Jpgr91
05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
A mediocre relief pitcher quitting in the middle of the season is a big story? Only in Cubsville, I guess.

His career K/9 is 10.3, which is behind only Randy Johnson. While his career did not end well it is wrong to consider him mediocre.

DickAllen72
05-19-2012, 04:33 PM
His career K/9 is 10.3, which is behind only Randy Johnson. While his career did not end well it is wrong to consider him mediocre.
Meh. You can cherry pick one stat but over 14 years he averaged 9W 8L with a 3.67 ERA.

Granted he had great stuff when he was healthy, but over his 14 year career he hadn't accomplished much to put him in the same class as the top pitchers in the game and he certainly was nowhere near the class of Randy Johnson.

Jpgr91
05-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Meh. You can cherry pick one stat but over 14 years he averaged 9W 8L with a 3.67 ERA.

Granted he had great stuff when he was healthy, but over his 14 year career he hadn't accomplished much to put him in the same class as the top pitchers in the game and he certainly was nowhere near the class of Randy Johnson.

He definitely was not an elite pitcher and injuries obviously had a large negative impact on his career arc. I think many Sox fans, to some extent myself included, are predisposed to looking at his career in a negative light because of never ending BS that Cubs fan spewed about how Wood was easily the best pitcher ever.

As far as cherry picking numbers, if you look at his numbers beyond K/9 to include ERA, WHIP, H/9, and Strike out to Walk you will also find numbers that exceeded MLB average. Even though he pitched a ton of innings in relief it is important to remember many of those innings were high leverage situations. Given his career numbers I think it is safe to consider him better than average.

Frontman
05-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Kerry also did something that only one other pitcher accomplished. While he isn't a Hall of Famer, he definitely had some special talent that injuries took away from.

I wouldn't begrudge a Cubs fan for lamenting Wood's retirement. The day's gonna come that Konerko, last of the 2005 team, retires. (Hopefully in a White Sox uniform.) I put Konerko above Wood in talent, but what Wood means to the Cubs fans is what Konerko means to us.

A loved player who entertained us while in a Chicago uniform.

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
What does that matter? That's just the media's job. Trying to inject something into nothing. I mean, they had the sports cover page of AJ getting punched by Barrett. That was 6 years ago. Who even cares anymore? These are becoming more and more what they probably should become, just 6 more games on the schedule. No stupid storylines or drama (real or created) or ridiculous trophies can change it.

Amazing how the Cub sheep continue to crow about Barrett punching AJ. Let's not forget that that creampuff barely left a mark on AJ's face. Meanwhile they all seem to have conveniently forgotten how Podsednik (of ALL players) knocked Barrett on his ass after that.

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Kerry also did something that only one other pitcher accomplished. While he isn't a Hall of Famer, he definitely had some special talent that injuries took away from.

I wouldn't begrudge a Cubs fan for lamenting Wood's retirement. The day's gonna come that Konerko, last of the 2005 team, retires. (Hopefully in a White Sox uniform.) I put Konerko above Wood in talent, but what Wood means to the Cubs fans is what Konerko means to us.

A loved player who entertained us while in a Chicago uniform.

Not so fast... AJ's still here.

Frontman
05-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Not so fast... AJ's still here.

True, but AJ's contract ends this season, Paulie's with the Sox one more. With the way things have been a changin' on the Southside, we might see AJ move on/retire this year.

Bob Roarman
05-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Amazing how the Cub sheep continue to crow about Barrett punching AJ. Let's not forget that that creampuff barely left a mark on AJ's face. Meanwhile they all seem to have conveniently forgotten how Podsednik (of ALL players) knocked Barrett on his ass after that.

Annnnd you've missed the point.

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Annnnd you've missed the point.

Well, you did say "that was six years ago, who even cares anymore?", yet that photo still gets bandied about quite a bit even today.

Johnny Mostil
05-19-2012, 10:09 PM

I mentioned this to my youngest, who is too young to remember much of the '05 team, and who then asked me, "Who was Jon Garland?" Which pretty much proves the (implicit) point here . . .

Cub or not, that was a really cool moment Kerry had to end his career.

Damn shame, his potential was never reach because of his injuries.

With that said, he is pretty much the perfect mascot for the Cubs.

The truth of the second sentence here provides that of the third . . .

Bob Roarman
05-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Well, you did say "that was six years ago, who even cares anymore?", yet that photo still gets bandied about quite a bit even today.

And by who? The media. Who cares how much they may over-exaggerate or understate a story, it doesn't mean something like Samardzija purposefully threw at Konerko's head. That's what I'm talking about. If you listened to him after the game, you can tell he wasn't trying to "prove" anything. There was no reason to. Just bad luck.

And with the Kerry Wood retirement, yeah there's always the crowd where they excuse the stupidity with "It's just baseball/sports" but it's a two way street. When you excuse stuff like rooting or hoping for a player to get hurt and to go on the DL (numerous examples of that on this board) rather than retire the way he would like to as being part of "being a fan", don't get upset when people start bringing up stuff like attendance numbers and what they say about a fan base or similar examples. Goes both ways.

I really don't see the big deal of a team or fans celebrating a player who played for their team for 12 or 13 years or whatever it was and how it enacts the kind of emotions it does from Sox fans. Just don't get it. If we always like to say we're so much better than that and it doesn't bother us, why aren't we so much better than that and it bothers us? "Hope he gets hurt, that'll show em' for trying to finish his career." Yeah, hilarious.

voodoochile
05-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Ah but the pertinent question of course is what was more special, Wood's retiring or that time Humber picked his nose?

Frontman
05-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Ah but the pertinent question of course is what was more special, Wood's retiring or that time Humber picked his nose?

Humber picked Kerry Wood's nose? I'm shocked Kaplan didn't have a full CSN special dedicated to it!

34rancher
05-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Humber picked Kerry Wood's nose? I'm shocked Kaplan didn't have a full CSN special dedicated to it!

Had wood been injured, he might of.

slavko
05-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Stoney just cleaned Kap's clock on CSN when Kap tried to extol the greatness of Wood. Can't spout Cubbie bushwa in front of the wrong guy, Kap. ("Is there a statue for Rick Reuschel?," said Stoney. "Compare his record to Wood's.")

DrCrawdad
05-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Stoney just cleaned Kap's clock on CSN when Kap tried to extol the greatness of Wood. Can't spout Cubbie bushwa in front of the wrong guy, Kap. ("Is there a statue for Rick Reuschel?," said Stoney. "Compare his record to Wood's.")

Sorry I missed that! Anyone know if they replay CSN? Time?

#1swisher
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Sorry I missed that! Anyone know if they replay CSN? Time?

Watch it here:

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/video?PID=AyD5jLXxBovWvVvJ8BZhEkoXi44TmgRA&awid=8998730322826821226-914#