PDA

View Full Version : The Mets take seat-switching very seriously

DumpJerry
05-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Even in the late innings (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/off-duty-cop-arrested-for-trying-to-sneak-into-better-seat-at-new-york-mets-game-051712).

shes
05-17-2012, 08:18 PM
All he had to do was go back to his seat. I don't agree with policing seat-switching in situations like this, but if security asks you to go back to your seat, just go back.

kittle42
05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Agreed. Sneak into a different seat. Geez.

SephClone89
05-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Huh. When I was there with friends last August we moved to a different section. We were in the upper deck, and we just moved over a few sections to a strangely empty one which was apparently meant for friends and family of the Padres. We got called out but the usher just told us to go to another section, not even to "return to our seats."

:shrug:

#1swisher
05-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Arrested on charges of criminal trespass!! :o:

doublem23
05-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Huh. When I was there with friends last August we moved to a different section. We were in the upper deck, and we just moved over a few sections to a strangely empty one which was apparently meant for friends and family of the Padres. We got called out but the usher just told us to go to another section, not even to "return to our seats."

:shrug:

I was at a Mets/Phillies game at Shea a few years back and the usher by us ruled that section with an iron fist. Couple of drunks started heckling some players and he basically walked right up to them and told them to shut the hell up or they were getting dragged out by the NYPD.

FielderJones
05-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Arrested on charges of criminal trespass!! :o:

I think the refusal to leave a seat that did not match his ticket was the impetus for the criminal charges. Either alcohol played a part or arrogance that the rules didn't apply to him.

Wedema
05-18-2012, 08:06 AM
My seats are in Section 129, so I see this all of the time, especially in late innings. What bugs me even more, is when they ask me to get up so that they can cut down my row to snag a better seat.

WLL1855
05-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I was at a Mets/Phillies game at Shea a few years back and the usher by us ruled that section with an iron fist. Couple of drunks started heckling some players and he basically walked right up to them and told them to shut the hell up or they were getting dragged out by the NYPD.

We need more of this. I can barely remember when ushers at Comiskey took their jobs seriously and did the little things like keeping the aisles clear during innings unless there was a pitching change or delay. I'm there to watch a game.

Southsider101
05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I attended a game at PNC Park in Pittsburgh when it first opened. A friend of mine and myself decided to move across the aisle to a section which was less crowded in order to take advantage of the extra leg room. Mind you, that these seats were the same price as our ticketed seats. However, soon after we moved, two ushers were on us like white on rice, badgering us to get back to our seats. When we explained that we just wanted some extra leg room they became irate and said that if we did not move we would could be arrested. One of them even stated that our little problem could disappear with "a little taste" (while rubbing their thumb and forefinger together). When my friend stated that shaking down customers was illegal, they simply walked away and let us be. Later I learned that Pittsburgh ushers are notorious for this kind of behavior, including reselling stolen tickets, and shaking down patrons for "tips." When the game was over, we complained to the customer service office about their behavior and was told that the complaint would be filed, but not to expect any action since the ushers were unionized and had quite a bit of power over a number of operational areas the the ballpark.

Frontman
05-19-2012, 05:45 PM
We need more of this. I can barely remember when ushers at Comiskey took their jobs seriously and did the little things like keeping the aisles clear during innings unless there was a pitching change or delay. I'm there to watch a game.

I've encountered a few who do, but the majority of the ushers don't do anything like that. A long way from the Andy Frain days.