PDA

View Full Version : With all-season interleague starting, there needs to be a change

DumpJerry
05-17-2012, 08:30 PM
To make the interleague games fair, MLB needs to do one of two things:
1. For the games, the teams are allowed 26 man rosters (to make up for the fact that the visiting team's 25 man roster is built for their home league).
2. Institute the DH in the NL, thereby obviating the need for change number one (the purists will explode over this, but, hey, interleague play should have them pissed off already).

The imbalance that currently exists for the visiting team (AL teams usually have one less pitcher so they can carry a DH and NL teams one less position/bench player because of no DH), is not too much of a problem because there are less than dozen road interleague games right now.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Make the DH universal across both leagues.

To give some measure of intrigue, make the DH like any other "position" so that during a game a fielder can move to DH and vice versa.

shes
05-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Get rid of the DH or make it universal. I'm fine either way.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Agreed. It's an unfair advatage for a team depending on which park the game is played in.

Lip

DumpJerry
05-17-2012, 10:43 PM
The Player's Association would fight that to the death. It would cost too many AL players their jobs. The extra bullpen guy on NL teams is usually a rookie with many options left.

TDog
05-17-2012, 10:49 PM
There are many people in baseball who believe rosters should be increased to 26 when teams break spring camp. Teams carry more pitchers now because there is more specialty so there is less room for position bench-players. That isn't going to happen because that's one extra player's salary.

It really doesn't matter that a home team in interleague play might have an advantage over the visiting team. Teams play just as many home interleague games as road interleague games.

There is going to be a natural prejudice here for the DH, but I rather like the White Sox playing against teams that don't have the DH.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-17-2012, 11:18 PM
The Player's Association would fight that to the death. It would cost too many AL players their jobs. The extra bullpen guy on NL teams is usually a rookie with many options left.

Simple solution, add 2 roster spots to each team. Then the players assoc can't complain, as they are actually getting MORE AL players jobs.

There is going to be a natural prejudice here for the DH, but I rather like the White Sox playing against teams that don't have the DH.

As a member of a fanbase who has seen his team play in both leagues for an extended period of time, i agree. I just like the NL style better.

Brian26
05-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Simple solution, add 2 roster spots to each team. Then the players assoc can't complain, as they are actually getting MORE AL players jobs.

The owners would complain, as that's two more minimum $480,000 major league salaries they would have to pay.

doublem23
05-18-2012, 12:34 AM

Yes, I agree, I personally like the DH more than watching a pitcher helplessly flail away but I'd prefer no DH over some DH. It's ridiculous there's not a universal rule.

doublem23
05-18-2012, 12:35 AM

I don't see how that would help the union, you eliminate one job that usually pays in the millions of dollars and add two guys that combined might not break 7 figures?

The union's never going to give up the DH, just make it universal and join the rest of us in the 1970's, National League fans.

TDog
05-18-2012, 02:06 AM
... As a member of a fanbase who has seen his team play in both leagues for an extended period of time, i agree. I just like the NL style better.

When I lived in Wisconsin (and I went to a lot of Brewers games), the Brewers fans I talked to preferred playing without the DH. A lot of fans of National League teams simply like pitchers hitting. And I've seen Giants games this year where the starting pitcher is the hitting star. Wednesday night the Giants even had their starting pitcher batting eighth.

I used to be a fan of the DH, especially when the Sox were running out Frank Thomas and Harold Baines. But I have come to see that it's about checks and balances. The game may gain some offense (although it may keep Verlander in some games longer, consequently diminishing offense in places), but the difference between the big-money teams and the low-budget teams can be made more extreme with the DH. I know fans like offense, but I don't like offense when the Sox are in the field. To me, after 1972 the last pre-DH year, watching the White Sox in the '70s was about watching other teams score big against the White Sox.

It isn't just about not wanting to see a pitcher embarrass himself at the plate. If a team is going to get a strong hitter in the lineup, the hitter should have to play defense or come out of the game. The opposing team should have the opportunity to take advantage of his weakness if his team is going to exploit his strength. If a pitcher is pitching a great game, he should have to take he turn at the plate or come out of the game. If his team can't score for him, his manager should have to choose whether to pinch-hit for him.

I'm not offended by the DH, and I follow the White Sox more closely than any other team. I just think the pitcher hitting makes for a better game. And I don't see NL owners or fans being willing to give it up.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-18-2012, 03:02 AM
It isn't just about not wanting to see a pitcher embarrass himself at the plate. If a team is going to get a strong hitter in the lineup, the hitter should have to play defense or come out of the game. The opposing team should have the opportunity to take advantage of his weakness if his team is going to exploit his strength. If a pitcher is pitching a great game, he should have to take he turn at the plate or come out of the game. If his team can't score for him, his manager should have to choose whether to pinch-hit for him.This is my feeling to the letter. I know a lot of sox fans grew up with only having watched the DH or because that's what the team does now means that's the best way to do it, but i think it takes a lot out of the game to have it. All that being said, if they instituted the DH in the NL next year, it wouldn't bother me that much.

Bucky F. Dent
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
I agree. Create a universal rule w/ regard to the DH.

russ99
05-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Yeah, expand or contract by two teams and move the Astros back to the NL...

Frequent interleague play will dilute the impact of such games. As usual, Bud is biting off more than he can chew.

TDog
05-18-2012, 03:21 PM
I agree. Create a universal rule w/ regard to the DH.

I don't think there needs to be a universal DH rule. NL fans don't want it. AL fans don't want to get rid of it.

There is no reason to alienate so many fans. In two-league markets, the NL is not suffering. The Dodgers have traditionally been the more popular team in SoCal. The Mets have held their own against baseball's more storied franchise. The Giants are the team in the Bay Area etc. If you took a poll in the Chicago market, it would probably come up anti-DH.

I'm not suggesting the AL should get rid of the DH. Although AL owners would probably prefer to drop it due to the big contracts given to DHs with diminishing returns, that isn't going to happen if only because of the most powerful union in sports. I am saying there is no reason for a universal rule.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't think there needs to be a universal DH rule. NL fans don't want it. AL fans don't want to get rid of it.

There is no reason to alienate so many fans. In two-league markets, the NL is not suffering. The Dodgers have traditionally been the more popular team in SoCal. The Mets have held their own against baseball's more storied franchise. The Giants are the team in the Bay Area etc. If you took a poll in the Chicago market, it would probably come up anti-DH.

I'm not suggesting the AL should get rid of the DH. Although AL owners would probably prefer to drop it due to the big contracts given to DHs with diminishing returns, that isn't going to happen if only because of the most powerful union in sports. I am saying there is no reason for a universal rule.

It's also the only thing left of the two leagues actually being two separate leagues and not just conferences.