PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sound Effort Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Good curve to end it, Jesse. Overall impressive performance by all today.

JB98
05-17-2012, 05:54 PM
The good news today is the White Sox had 22 batters reach base 13 hits, seven walks, 1 HBP and one man who reached on an error. The Sox, in fact, should have scored more than six runs in this game. But with this team, you take wins any way you can get 'em.

TDog
05-17-2012, 05:55 PM
This was the first game in about a week that the Sox got solid pitching. The offense hasn't been a problem lately.

JB98
05-17-2012, 05:59 PM
This was the first game in about a week that the Sox got solid pitching. The offense hasn't been a problem lately.

Ehh, both offense and pitching have been a problem lately. I personally attended two Sox games over the weekend where the team scored a grand total of one run.

Pitching has been a problem the last four games, but not today.

GlassSox
05-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Nice solid win. Great defensive plays by Rios & Bacon. Pitching was solid for a pleasant change. Enough offense showed up today to support a nice outing by Chris Sale. :cool:

October26
05-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I've been unable to watch Sox baseball due to my hectic work schedule the last 48 hours (worked back to back 11 hour shifts each of the last 2 days). I'm happy to hear that Viciedo is doing well at the plate and that the Sox managed to get a series split with the Angels.

How did Sale do today?

TomBradley72
05-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Some nice signs with this team- the veteran core (PK/Dunn/Rios/AJ) are establishing solid seasons. The other guys are coming on one by one- De Aza, then Dayan and Alexei seem to be coming around.

I'm happy if Beckham and Morel can hit .250+ with the kind of defense they bring to the table- I think Beckham will get there- I think Morel would get there if it wasn't for the back issues.

I hope Robin changes his mind- Dunn should play one of the Fri/Sat games and sit on Sunday vs. the LH Maholm.

If Jones can establish himself as the 6th/7th inning guy- and with Crain back healthy- the bullpen starts to stabilize a bit.

It would be nice to get a few 7+ inning starts out of the rotation.

kufram
05-17-2012, 06:05 PM
This is baseball.... what should happen just often doesn't.

You have to take what you get and make the best of it. I think this team has possibilities. Every aspect of the game has been good at different times. They can win games with what they have. It just needs to all work together and that hasn't happened yet. I can see them going on a run at some point in the next few weeks.

A couple of things need to be sorted (bullpen management) but a couple of other things are starting to work. i.e. Dayan, Dunn, A.J. Even Beckham isn't an automatic out at the moment.

There seems to be a good clubhouse.

shingo10
05-17-2012, 06:10 PM
It's nice to see another team absolutely give a game away for once. Walks have killed us so much this year so seeing another team give us free passes was a welcome sight.

Brutal defense by Anaheim as well. Man, I'm glad our D has improved so much.

JB98
05-17-2012, 06:21 PM
It's nice to see another team absolutely give a game away for once. Walks have killed us so much this year so seeing another team give us free passes was a welcome sight.

Brutal defense by Anaheim as well. Man, I'm glad our D has improved so much.

Yeah, the White Sox defense is upper-division quality this year. It's been the strength of the team.

SteveFakeBlood
05-17-2012, 06:25 PM
So the Sox come off two games which were one of their most lethargic performances of the season and probably the ugliest game of the season (yes, they could take heart from the comeback, but man...), respectively, and play possibly their most solid all-around game this month.

Beckham going 0 for 5 in the 2 hole was a weak spot, but in fairness, he would've hit a two run homer if not for a well-timed jump by Vernon Wells. We did leave 11 on base, but I can live with 6 runs on 13 hits and 4 for 14 with RISP (.286). The usual suspects of the last week hit well: Konerko, AJ, Viciedo- but the most important thing was the pitching. I really like the back-to-back combo of Sale and Jones and think they really baffled Angels' hitters because they both have unorthodox motions with a lot of velocity pitching from opposite sides and they can absolutely destroy teams when they have good control. Nice to see Jesse Crain back, he's definitely a stabilizing force with so many young arms in the pen and Ohman's aforementioned complete inability to pitch to rightys.

It's a minor worry in the grand scheme of things (especially, if Viciedo continues to hit for power and Alexei finds his power stroke- which history dictates he will soon), but Rios' power seems to have mostly disappeared. He has hit a couple triples, but one homer over a month and a half for a guy who should be hitting 20-25 a year kind of worries me- especially if he's going to hit 5th or 6th in our lineup.

Hopefully, we can pick up a couple games against the Tribe with them playing a red hot Marlins team (they've won 12 of 15) while we play the Scrubs.

~ Steve

EDIT: Also, would like to note that De Aza had three walks and how we now have a lead off hitter that is tied for second on the team in walks. A lead off hitter who actually gets on base? What a concept!

DumpJerry
05-17-2012, 06:28 PM
How did Sale do today?
Studly.

doublem23
05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Really cleanses the palate after last night's puke-o-rama

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
How did the shaky bullpen look today?

Crooked Number
05-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Bullpen looked good. Hitting was decent. Defense was great. The winning formula for baseball, I'll take it.

BigKlu59
05-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Really cleanses the palate after last night's puke-o-rama

:bandance: Yup, had that fresh sorbet feel after a 48 oz Porterhouse. Quite refreshing watching the other team botching cloud missiles in their own park and looking like T-ballers. Nice game to head back home on. Too bad Bacon didnt have a little extra pork on that poke to left. After that stupendous catch, a long fly would have been the daily double..

Go Sox !!! :bandance: That's more like it !!!

SCCWS
05-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Some nice signs with this team- the veteran core (PK/Dunn/Rios/AJ) are establishing solid seasons. The other guys are coming on one by one- De Aza, then Dayan and Alexei seem to be coming around.

I'm happy if Beckham and Morel can hit .250+ with the kind of defense they bring to the table- I think Beckham will get there- I think Morel would get there if it wasn't for the back issues.

I hope Robin changes his mind- Dunn should play one of the Fri/Sat games and sit on Sunday vs. the LH Maholm.

If Jones can establish himself as the 6th/7th inning guy- and with Crain back healthy- the bullpen starts to stabilize a bit.

It would be nice to get a few 7+ inning starts out of the rotation.

Tom: Love your optimism. You need to attend 6 or 7 extra games this year. You have a good winning % when you attend. This is a 6-8 game below .500 team. You need to help get them up closer to .500

slavko
05-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Jones throws some nasty ****. Fastball really moves. I see more there than Reed gives you.

hawkjt
05-17-2012, 11:46 PM
DeAza is making last years decision to not bring him up look very wrong.
As Hawk was saying,Rios looks like a different player this year,partially because he is so comfortable in right field. I know I advocated for Juan Pierre last year,but DeAza is much better leadoff man at this point anyway..takes more walks. If they had put Carlos in left,Alex in right and DeAza in center last year....things might have been much better.

DeAza got screwed on that thrown out at second call by that ump,that seems to always screw the Sox...just a bad ump who makes bad calls.
Why does it seem like the same umps blow calls all the time...today I happened to catch Laz Diaz blow a call on a popped up bunt play,where the pitcher caught the ball,but Diaz, only ten feet away,said he trapped it...wrong call in the replay.

Sale was solid today. Good to see him back and in a groove.
Jones,Thornton,and Crain did their part also...nice.

Adam Dunn had the biggest hit of the day,with his bases-loaded 2 out 2 rbi base knock...after Gordo had struck out with one out in front of him...made the score 3-0,.and made sure the Sox got something out of all the gifts from the Angels that inning.

DeAza,AJ,PK,Adam,Tank, and Alex are swinging pretty good right now...and Alexei is showing some signs of life...Gordo a bit better. That is enough to sustain an offense...Brent is still searching...but we can live with one black hole.

Sox need to take this next series at Wrigley and get closer to .500..then the Twins and Tribe next week at home....get hot,Sox!!

TDog
05-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Ehh, both offense and pitching have been a problem lately. I personally attended two Sox games over the weekend where the team scored a grand total of one run.

Pitching has been a problem the last four games, but not today.

The offense really hasn't been a problem lately. It might feel like a problem because the the pitching has been digging early holes and failing to hold leads, but over the last four games, in which the Sox split against the Tigers and Angels, the Sox have scored as many runs as they have given up, which has been nearly six a game. Even in the Sunday game, the Sox had the lead with two outs and a man on first in the seventh. One run or not, that was a game the White Sox should have won.

Today's game was more than a good effort. Sale had a good start. The Sox took advantage of mistakes to push across some runs. The Sox did what they needed to do to win, got the lead and didn't let the Angels get back in the game. With their starting rotation, they should be doing that more often.

SoxSpeed22
05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Chris Harris ‏@ChrisHarrisNFL (https://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisHarrisNFL) It's always funny 2 me when baseball players lose the ball in the sun yet they have sunglasses ON TOP of their hat #oxymoron (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23oxymoron)
It was good to see us making them pay for their mistakes this time. At least a lot of those walks didn't turn into runs like they have been in previous games, the pen did their job.

Tragg
05-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Sale had 103 pitches in only 5 1/3. He only walked 1. They must have been fouling off a lot of his pitches or something because that's a high count for that few innings when you pitch well.

tstrike2000
05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Jones throws some nasty ****. Fastball really moves. I see more there than Reed gives you.

Agreed, he's my favorite sleeper out of the bullpen. He's got a deceptive delivery, throws wicked hard, and when he's on top of his slider, it's unhittable. Like any pitcher that has that much movement, if he can't control it then trouble abrews.

wassagstdu
05-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Can anyone explain why a cloudless sky causes such problems with popups? Is it that the ball and the sky have the same luminance or the lack of a fixed background to gauge movement of the ball?

It did seem that the farther the player had to run to the ball the less trouble it caused (e.g.Beckham), suggesting that greater relative motion of the ball was easier to perceive, which would favor the latter option. On the other hand, Beckham also had no problem with one directly overhead, suggesting a third option, too much glare when sunglasses are either on top of hat (Kendrick) or flipped up (Izturis).