PDA

View Full Version : Selig Working For Six Cubs-Sox Games

Madvora
05-17-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-selig-mlb-working-for-6-cubssox-games-20120517,0,1491803.story

I don't really think the fans do like it anymore. Around here, it seems like we're all sick of it already.
Notice the sentence of the article. Seems like an old-school Tribune shot at Sox attendance.

thomas35forever
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Notice the sentence of the article. Seems like an old-school Tribune shot at Sox attendance.

Look at the byline, then get back to me.

beasly213
05-17-2012, 03:19 PM
I always tell myself "This series is dumb" before it starts, then I end up really enjoying it when the games take place.

Madvora
05-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Look at the byline, then get back to me.
OK I'm back to you. I don't follow reporters like a lot of people do around here. What about Phil Rodgers? I don't get it.
I mentioned it because it's written like something that would have set people off here a few years ago, intentional or unintentional.

doublem23
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I always tell myself "This series is dumb" before it starts, then I end up really enjoying it when the games take place.

Me, too. I don't feel like the intensity of the games has decreased, just the overall nastiness.

amsteel
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I personally don't care much for the series, I maybe go to one game out of the series at Wrigley, but they Sox will be out a ton of cash if they lose those games at the Cell every other year.

From a business perspective, I hope they keep 6 a year.

TomBradley72
05-17-2012, 03:44 PM

Me too- consistently unique and memorable games with a great atmosphere.

With that said- 3 a year is plenty.

sox1970
05-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't mind if they played one 4-game series, with two home and away each year. Do it one of these weeks they play two 2-game series anyway.

It's going to depend on how many division games they play, and some other factors. But they need to get to a balanced schedule within each division... or real close to balanced.

Frontman
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Honestly, if the Sox never played the Cubs again, I'd be a happy fan. I hate what these series brings out in both fan bases.

TomBradley72
05-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't mind if they played one 4-game series, with two home and away each year. Do it one of these weeks they play two 2-game series anyway.

It's going to depend on how many division games they play, and some other factors. But they need to get to a balanced schedule within each division... or real close to balanced.

one 4 game series is a great idea- alternate back and forth for the 4 days-

DSpivack
05-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Interesting idea. Why not also rotate the games, so if a 4-game series have it go Wrigley, USCF, Wrigley, USCF.

DSpivack
05-17-2012, 04:01 PM
one 4 game series is a great idea- alternate back and forth for the 4 days-

Great idea that you thought of one minute before me. :tongue:

downstairs
05-17-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm all for three per year.

Rotate home field every year, or do it with the Sox as home/away/home year A, away/home/away year B.

Six just waters it down.

Plus I liked having an odd number so one team could always claim to have won the season series. Not the end of the world, but fun bragging rights for the water cooler.

Boondock Saint
05-17-2012, 05:03 PM
I'd be fine with the Sox only having to play them once every five years, or as infrequently as scheduling allows.

LITTLE NELL
05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't know what MLB plans are right now but we should just play them as part of the divisional rotational. Play them 3 at home and 3 away every 3 years, the same as any other NL opponent.
I'm praying for some kind of sanity in the scheduling, I want all teams in a division to play the same opponents the same amount of times.

Dan H
05-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Honestly, if the Sox never played the Cubs again, I'd be a happy fan. I hate what these series brings out in both fan bases.

I agree with this. The novelty has worn off, and I have had enough. These games do not prove that either side has a better tradition. All I know is that since the White Sox won the World Series, Chicago baseball teams have won a total of one playoff game. Since '05, the Chicago baseball post-season record is 1-9. What are we supposed to argue about this weekend? Who is worse?

If the Chicago baseball powers want a real competiton between these teams, they should build consistent winners. Ricketts knows what he can do with that BP Cup.

DickAllen72
05-17-2012, 07:10 PM
I've grown to dread the series. It's a no-win for the Sox. If they beat the Cubs it's "So what, who cares?" But if the Cubs win, it's "Cubs rule! Blah blah blah!!!"

Lip Man 1
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
JR wants six games a year, he wants that home attendance help.

What would help more as Dan said, is build a consistent winner, than you don't have to rely on gimmicks anymore.

Lip

SteveFakeBlood
05-17-2012, 08:10 PM
I understand how people have gotten jaded with the series and how ridiculous year-long interleague play is (at first I thought the Astros moving to the AL would provide a sort of balance, three five team divisions in both leagues- but year long interleague play is definitely too much balance). I have gotten kind of jaded myself- my contact with obnoxious Cubs fans over the past year has been practically non-existent and with Zambrano leaving- I find the players on the team itself are more difficult to hate. I went to a Marlins/Cubs game and booed Soriano, but it felt half-hearted- he's never really done anything wrong beyond accepting money that Cubs ownership stupidly threw at him- and other than that, the lineup is mostly filled with young players and journeymen. I have nothing against the likes of Bryan LaHair or Starlin Castro, more power to them for playing well as long as the Cubs lose, I guess. And yes, as Frontman says it does bring out some of the worst casual fans on both sides of the equation (more on theirs, because they have more).

I also think part of the problem is that it can never live up to its 2008 peak again. You had a season where both teams ended up making the playoffs (the first time that happened since the 1906 World Series) and were in first place at the time of the series and both teams swept the other at their home fields in dramatic fashion. From a Sox fan perspective, getting swept at Wrigley sucked- but returning the favor at the Cell made the Series one for the ages.

That all said, I'm still kind of excited for this series- it's a clean slate and the opportunity for new Sosas or Zambranos or Barretts to emerge- or for that matter, moments like Carlos Lee's walk off grand slam or Konerko's two home runs to come back from an 8 run deficit in '02 or even Jose Valentin's Sosa-mocking tap-tap kiss kiss after a home run. It's also an opportunity to accomplish something in a mediocre season. The choice between making the playoffs or beating the Cubs isn't actually a real choice, but in the years we don't make the playoffs or don't even seriously contend- winning the Red Line series is at least something to be proud of.

I guess I wouldn't be too upset if it went down to only 3 games with alternating home fields since that's how it existed initially- but I do still think it's important, even if for relatively petty and pathetic reasons.

~ Steve

dickallen15
05-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Overall, interleague attendance was at a 4 year high last year. Whoever thinks the Cubs/Sox series is dying needs to look at the numbers. The Sox haven't drawn 24k to a game since opening weekend. Getting 3 home games against the Cubs every year is good for business.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Dick:

See my earlier post. That's BETTER for business no?

Lip

dickallen15
05-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Dick:

See my earlier post. That's BETTER for business no?

Lip
Of course it is, but the Cubs games will always draw and they charge more money than any other game. Rogers makes a dig that the Cubs don't think its too important, well, look at Stubhub. You could get decent seats to see the Phillies at Wrigley Field for under $10. Not so this weekend, even with all the people fleeing town.

As a Sox fan, we should all be thrilled the Sox get to play the Cubs 6 times when others in the division do not. I consider it an advantage. Plus extra money to at least theoretically throw into the team, its a can't lose.

hawkjt
05-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I still like these series. Sox have done well vs the Cubs,and call me a meatball but I still love beating the Cubs, and improving our standing in the division at the same time. Losing stinks,but so it goes.

Sox need the attendance and I like going to games with a full house occasionally,just for the novelty if nothing else.

Guess I am just a plain ole fan that likes the buzz at the park for these series....it beats the hell outta playing KC and the Twins 6 more times.

amsteel
05-18-2012, 12:02 AM
well, look at Stubhub.

Right now almost any ticket for tomorrow's game is going below face. For the last couple years tickets up until a couple days before game are set at ridiculously high prices, and then as game day approaches people realize there are 4K+ tickets on the market, and they freak out and sell for any price. I don't doubt that at game time tomorrow you could buy a bleacher seat for 25$.

Scalpers think people love the crosstown series, that's why it sells out.

Fox-To-Aparicio
05-18-2012, 01:52 AM
I dont get it??? To me no matter how worthless these two series are they spark so much excitement before them. Everyone at work knows I am a Sox fan so the chatter starts early in the week and everyone is taking a side.

Interleage play outside of city rivals I admit is worthless.....

But I love me some Sox Cubs twice a year to get the old heart pumping.

We have had some years where this is all we get.

Fox-To-Aparicio
05-18-2012, 01:54 AM
I also forgot. I love it when we win and then they preach to me about attentance stats...

soxfanreggie
05-19-2012, 12:11 AM
For pure personal reasons, I love when we play the Cubs and Cards. It's usually a couple of home and road games I can get a group of buddies to go to.

For team fiscal reasons, I'm all for getting additional turnstile revenue. Think of what getting and add'l 30k+ fans through the turnstiles at premium prices, in the parking lots, buying concessions, etc. can do for the team.

nut_stock
05-19-2012, 01:29 AM
It's possible to handle inter league in the following way. The white sox can play 1 three game series against all NL central teams each year (15 games) 1 three games series against each team in one of the other 2 NL divisions (15 games) rotating east and west yearly. Play 2 three game series against the AL west and east (60 games). Play 6 three game series against the Al central teams (72 games)

Since we would only have a home series against the cubs every other year...balance out the finances by hosting the cardinals and brewers in the years we don't host the cubs. Those 2 series will draw well.

The schedule is now balanced and the sox can survive the years they don't host the cubs.

doublem23
05-19-2012, 01:44 AM
JR wants six games a year, he wants that home attendance help.

What would help more as Dan said, is build a consistent winner, than you don't have to rely on gimmicks anymore.

Lip

Even if the Sox went to the playoffs 10 years in a row, I think the Cubs/Sox series will always have an extra added appeal over any of the other 28 teams in the league. It's just a good rivalry.

dickallen15
05-19-2012, 06:42 AM
That's what I don't get, fans would rather see the Sox play another series against Seattle or Oakland, or next year Houston than play the Cubs? Really?

sox1970
05-19-2012, 07:25 AM
That's what I don't get, fans would rather see the Sox play another series against Seattle or Oakland, or next year Houston than play the Cubs? Really?

I'd rather see a balanced league schedule, with less games against the division, and more games against the east and west teams. So, yes. One series against the Cubs is enough, and if it's a 4-gamer with 2 games home and away each year, that would be good enough for me.

Boondock Saint
05-19-2012, 07:28 AM

Well, considering that the Cubs series is interleague, we wouldn't be getting another one of those series, but rather three games against a different NL opponent we rarely face.

dickallen15
05-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Well, considering that the Cubs series is interleague, we wouldn't be getting another one of those series, but rather three games against a different NL opponent we rarely face.
Like the Mets or the Padres or the Braves. I think the Cubs would still have a ton more appeal than any other NL team.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't care who the Sox play as long as they and every other team in the league play the same exact schedule.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-19-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't care who the Sox play as long as they and every other team in the league play the same exact schedule.

Lip

Did you not mean the division? I say that because I also want a fair schedule but with more games against your division opponents.

Here is my plan:
The Sox vs AL East............5 teams X 6 games=30 games
AL West...........5 teams X 6 games=30 games
AL Central........4 teams X 18 games= 72 games
NL Central........5 teams X 6 games=30 games.....the NL divisions would rotate every year....Central.. East...West...etc
Total= 162 games

Of course MLB will never go with this, it makes too much sense.

Zakath
05-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Lip

Going to be impossible with 162 games.

I'd like to see the number of division games drop. 18 vs. each is too many; bring that to 12, which leaves 114 games. If you went to 24 interleague (8 3-game series), you'd have 90 left, which means 9 games against each of the other 10 teams in your league.

You could easily play the Cubs twice, along with 6 other NL teams. The Cubs may claim it's not as important to them, but they draw usually 40,000+ for every game vs. the Sox at the Urinal, which they don't do routinely (more in the low-to-mid 30K range) unless they get a series vs. the big draw teams (Yankees, Cardinals, Phillies, etc.). This year, the Cubs have only broken 40,000 twice (the first two games of the season vs. the Nationals), so their overall attendance is down.

sox1970
05-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I'd go no divisions/ top 3 make the playoffs/ 4 and 5 play each other to get in.

Play the four former division teams 11 games over 4 series
Play the other 10 teams 10 games over 3 series
Play 16 interleague games, including 4 games (2 home/away) against natural rival. If local, play as a 4 game series.

Season starts on Friday, and ends on a Tuesday with a 2-game series.
160 games in 180 days.

If they insist on 162, add one home day/night dh, or some teams may want to market a 2-for-1 game.

World Series never ends in November.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Nell:

Not really. I'd simply prefer balanced schedules leading to true champions.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
05-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Nell:

Not really. I'd simply prefer balanced schedules leading to true champions.

Lip

No need for divisions with your way. With divisions you cut down on travel.
Sox would not have to go out to the west coast more than once with division play, they could play LLA, Oakland and Seattle on a 9 game trip with my plan. The only time they would have to go out there twice would be every 3rd year when they have to play the NL West.

EdHerman12
05-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd just like to see it stay at 3 and 3 in each series, but why is the series at the Cell this season on week night dates? If the Sox and Cubs were going to be reduced to just one 3 game series, I'd like to see us playing a team like Milwaukee regularly, and I know they come to us this season at the end of June. I never get tired of seeing the Sox play the Cubs and don't forget...these games count in the standings...the way the team has been struggling from time to time beating these losers is just what the they need to do before the Twins and Indians hit town!

dickallen15
05-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Lip

If you only played 3 games against interleague teams, that would be impossible as well, even if you played the exact same teams as certainly some you would be playing at home when you division opponents may be playing them on the road.

soxfanreggie
05-20-2012, 09:42 AM

For people that are more concerned about what is going on in the stands and in the media, yes.

For you, me, and a lot of others, we'd rather see the Cubs, Cards, Brewers, etc.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Dick:

That's fine with me, I don't think it matters that much if teams are played at home or on the road compared to playing completely different teams which are by their nature helping to determine division winners.

One team for example shouldn't be playing the Padres but another in the same division not playing them for example. (Substitute any team name you want, I used S.D. just as an example.)

Lip

Tragg
05-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I'd rather see a balanced league schedule, with less games against the division, and more games against the east and west teams. So, yes. One series against the Cubs is enough, and if it's a 4-gamer with 2 games home and away each year, that would be good enough for me.

I like that too, but you really need to get rid of divisions if you're going to do that.

ZombieRob
05-20-2012, 12:30 PM
I personally don't care much for the series, I maybe go to one game out of the series at Wrigley, but they Sox will be out a ton of cash if they lose those games at the Cell every other year.

From a business perspective, I hope they keep 6 a year.
Why not just do one series with the Cubs and 1 series with the Brewers? It's a crying shame the Sox don't play the Brewers who were once our natural rivals. They could also schedule more east coast teams who I think A.L and Sox fans would rather see then the Pirates or the Reds.

SI1020
05-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Did you not mean the division? I say that because I also want a fair schedule but with more games against your division opponents.

Here is my plan:
The Sox vs AL East............5 teams X 6 games=30 games
AL West...........5 teams X 6 games=30 games
AL Central........4 teams X 18 games= 72 games
NL Central........5 teams X 6 games=30 games.....the NL divisions would rotate every year....Central.. East...West...etc
Total= 162 games

Of course MLB will never go with this, it makes too much sense. FWIW I like this.

sox1970
05-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I like that too, but you really need to get rid of divisions if you're going to do that.

Yes, that's what I want and explained in the other post.

Close to a balanced league schedule, 16 interleague, top 3 make the playoffs, and 4 and 5 play each other to get in.

05-20-2012, 03:32 PM
3 games? I want to play the Cubs 18 games a year. Nothing like a bunch of free wins to help boost us in the standings.

Milw
05-21-2012, 09:32 AM
When the Sox schedule comes out each winter, I immediately look at three dates:
1. Opening Day (and home opener, if it's different)
2. Cubs at the Cell
3. Sox at Wrigley

Why? Because those are the only series that you know, regardless of whether the Sox are contenders or awful, will definitely be fun to watch. Are they more important than a series with the Tigers? No. But important and fun aren't the same thing. Reducing or eliminating the Crosstown Series would diminish my enjoyment of the baseball season. I'd get over it, but I honestly don't understand the push by some here to do it.

Parrothead
05-21-2012, 07:37 PM
End interleague ! It blows and ruined the All-Star Game and the World Series.

kevingrt
05-21-2012, 07:40 PM
2. Cubs at the Cell
3. Sox at Wrigley

Why? Because those are the only series that you know, regardless of whether the Sox are contenders or awful, will definitely be fun to watch. Are they more important than a series with the Tigers? No. But important and fun aren't the same thing. Reducing or eliminating the Crosstown Series would diminish my enjoyment of the baseball season. I'd get over it, but I honestly don't understand the push by some here to do it.

"Old School" baseball fans don't like this post me thinks.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
2. Cubs at the Cell
3. Sox at Wrigley

Sox/Cubs just brings out the worst in the fanbases. It would be best if it were ended, and we could have more games with the other AL divisions.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook last night that he wished the Cubs were in our division so that we could play them 18 times. :o:

beasly213
05-22-2012, 08:24 AM
End interleague ! It blows and ruined the All-Star Game and the World Series.

Ehh, I like it. It gives fans the ability to see teams and players they normally wouldn't get to see. In Chicago we're lucky having two teams we get to see all the players and all the teams not only live if we want to but on local TV.

While The Rockies and the Rays aren't exactly huge rivals for example it gives both of their fan bases a chance to check out teams and players they might not have ever gotten the chance to enjoy.

amsteel
05-22-2012, 09:18 AM
While The Rockies and the Rays aren't exactly huge rivals for example it gives both of their fan bases a chance to check out teams and players they might not have ever gotten the chance to enjoy.

As someone who like to see the Sox on the road a few times a year, the idea of the Sox playing in every NL ballpark every 2 years is quite appealing if that's how they end up doing it.

Chez
05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
2. Cubs at the Cell
3. Sox at Wrigley

+1. I've been in a season ticket group since 1986 so that qualifies me as "old school." Every year since interleague started, the first three games drafted are the games against the Cubs. Those games are fun. Sports are supposed to be fun. Why change? I've not seen one compelling argument posted which would justify reducing or eliminating the series. People vote with their feet, and the 3 games against the Cubs are always among the top 5 attended games of the season.

sox1970
05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
+1. I've been in a season ticket group since 1986 so that qualifies me as "old school." Every year since interleague started, the first three games drafted are the games against the Cubs. Those games are fun. Sports are supposed to be fun. Why change? I've not seen one compelling argument posted which would justify reducing or eliminating the series. People vote with their feet, and the 3 games against the Cubs are always among the top 5 attended games of the season.

Well, it's too late to get rid of interleague now anyway. With 15 in both leagues starting next year, interleague most days will be a necessity. And if they're going to do it, then playing a natural local rival is a given. I think one series, 2 home and away is enough with the Cubs. And it sounds like that's what they'll be doing next year.

JB98
05-22-2012, 12:52 PM

I guess it just depends on the definition of "fun." I personally hate attending the crosstown games and always allow my buddy who I share the season tickets with to take those games.

I think that series brings out the worst in both fan bases.

EDIT: I remember the exact moment I stopped wanting to attend the crosstown series. I saw a nasty argument break out in the second inning of this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200806290.shtml) over an infield single that Jim Edmonds hit off Mark Buehrle's foot. I don't think I saw much of the rest of that inning because these *******s in front of me would not sit down.

I just said to myself, "This is dumb. I hate this ****."