PDA

View Full Version : 20/20 Hindsight

hold2dibber
07-23-2002, 06:09 PM
I know this is 20/20 hindsight, but if KW was a crafty guy, the Sox could have had the following rotation this year, and for a lot less than he's paying now:

1. Mark Buehrle
2. Paul Byrd (has 13 wins, makes less than $1mm and was available to anyone who wanted him in the offseason)
3. James Baldwin (putting up typically decent Baldwin numbers for about 1/3 of what Ritchie is making, plus was a great "clubhouse" guy for this team)
4. K. Wells/Garland/Fogg
5. K. Wells/Garland/Fogg

The current bullpen would be bolstered by the addition of the odd man out of the rotation between K. Wells, Garland and Fogg, as well as Glover. Rauch would never have had to be in the rotation and Parque would never have been called up. I don't know if we'd be 14 games better with that staff, but I sure think we'd be 7 or 8 games better, and still in the hunt. Que sera sera.

MisterB
07-23-2002, 07:14 PM
Pop Quiz Time!

Please choose one of the following pitchers:

A) Age:32 W-L:35-35 ERA:4.59 WHIP:1.38 K/BB:1.68 K/9:5.48

B) Age:31 W-L:37-35 ERA:4.37 WHIP:1.35 K/BB:2.16 K/9:5.68

Tough choice, but choose wisely...your franchise may depend on it!

The correct 'answer' later.... :cool:

Answer: A is Paul Byrd's lifetime stats coming into this season, B is Todd Ritchie's lifetime stats coming into this season.

hold2dibber
07-24-2002, 07:48 AM
It just goes to show that either KW is an idiot or his scouts suck. Byrd was available for absolutely nothing, but KW went out and picked up Ritchie but gave away two live young arms and a solid middle relief guy. I'm sick and tired of KW going after mediocrity. How much better off would we be if KW had picked up Byrd for nothing, and instead of trading for Ritchie, dealt Wells, Lowe, Fogg, Corwin Malone and CLee for Brian Giles? Giles is an IMPACT player in the prime of his career. But KW instead slowly chips away at the Sox deep minor league talent pool and picks up aging, mediocre veterans. Aging mediocre veterans only win if you have Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson at the top of your rotation. Good Lord we need a GM with some savvy.

WinningUgly!
07-24-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It just goes to show that either KW is an idiot or his scouts suck. Byrd was available for absolutely nothing, but KW went out and picked up Ritchie but gave away two live young arms and a solid middle relief guy. I'm sick and tired of KW going after mediocrity. How much better off would we be if KW had picked up Byrd for nothing, and instead of trading for Ritchie, dealt Wells, Lowe, Fogg, Corwin Malone and CLee for Brian Giles? Giles is an IMPACT player in the prime of his career. But KW instead slowly chips away at the Sox deep minor league talent pool and picks up aging, mediocre veterans. Aging mediocre veterans only win if you have Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson at the top of your rotation. Good Lord we need a GM with some savvy.

The big problem with Giles is that he had a list of only 6 teams that he would accept a trade to. Needless to say, the White Sox were not among the 6.

hold2dibber
07-24-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

The big problem with Giles is that he had a list of only 6 teams that he would accept a trade to. Needless to say, the White Sox were not among the 6.

I didn't know that. I wonder how close we got to acquiring him - i.e., was there ever an agreement in principle that required Giles approval, or if we ever had a chance to try to convince him to come to the South Side. I guess we'll never know ...

LongDistanceFan
07-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

The big problem with Giles is that he had a list of only 6 teams that he would accept a trade to. Needless to say, the White Sox were not among the 6. that is a great sig. :)

WinningUgly!
07-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
that is a great sig. :)

Thanks...JR's fat head looks pretty good bald! :D:

WinningUgly!
07-24-2002, 10:22 AM

I didn't know that. I wonder how close we got to acquiring him - i.e., was there ever an agreement in principle that required Giles approval, or if we ever had a chance to try to convince him to come to the South Side. I guess we'll never know ...

I don't think it ever got that far along.

Jerry_Manuel
07-24-2002, 01:36 PM

The original talk was that it would take Buehrle and Lee for Giles.

Had the Pirates known that Josh and Kip would be this good, maybe those two for Giles would've worked.

Iwritecode
07-24-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The original talk was that it would take Buehrle and Lee for Giles.

Had the Pirates known that Josh and Kip would be this good, maybe those two for Giles would've worked,

They both seem to be falling off from their hot starts a little bit here lately though.

Jerry_Manuel
07-24-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
They both seem to be falling off from their hot starts a little bit here lately though.

This is true. I don't think the Pirates expected them to win every time out though.
:(:

LongDistanceFan
07-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

This is true. I don't think the Pirates expected them to win every time out though.
:(: they still could have a winning record of the teens by the time the stike rolls around.

what gets me is that a poster made an analysis of nl pitching not doing well in the al and al pit doing decent in the nl. it seems to me that idea might hold some water.