PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/16 - Angels 7, Sox 2 Post-Game Thread

doublem23
05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
If anyone has anything creative at this hour, feel free to add it, maybe I'll change the thread title.

kittle42
05-17-2012, 12:37 AM
A trade for Kevin Youkilis would solve our woes. It's not a rebuilding season!

DirtySox
05-17-2012, 12:39 AM

I haven't followed many game/post-game threads. Have people reached the acceptance stage yet?

Foulke You
05-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Bad game all around. I watched the whole thing because I love punishment. Floyd's cutter tonight was begging to be crushed and he had no command of the curve. Pujols HR and Trout running down AJ's potential bases clearing double were the key moments. Sox looked like a jet lagged and emotionally drained team tonight. Oh, and Brent Morel is not an MLB hitter. At least Tank appears to be turning into one though.

doublem23
05-17-2012, 12:46 AM
I haven't followed many game/post-game threads. Have people reached the acceptance stage yet?

I think most people reached the Acceptance Stage for this season somewhere in mid-2011.

Tank had a game tonight. So that's something.

SoxSpeed22
05-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Tank hit the ball hard and AJ continues to hit well. Not much good to take out of this one.

palehozenychicty
05-17-2012, 12:54 AM
They helped wake up Pujols too. Ov vey!

TaylorStSox
05-17-2012, 12:57 AM
I think most people reached the Acceptance Stage for this season somewhere in mid-2011.

Tank had a game tonight. So that's something.

I laughed.

Maybe we'll get Keystone Cops level fun bad. That might cheer people up.

I'm starting to come to the realization that Morel's not an MLB quality player. Even if he does turn it around, he doesn't have the upside to get excited about. I pray that KW can land some real good prospects this go around. We're dying for impact level players.

Foulke You
05-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Trotting out the overmatched Morel who now has a bulging disc in his back is not a long term solution either. Robin has talked about watching guys approaches and if they are battling at the plate and making judgments on that more than results. He has to be seeing the same sad sack at bats we are. The only battle right now is the one in Morel's head. He rarely sees more than 3 or 4 pitches and is making Juan Pierre's old SLG% seem Ruthian by comparison. 3B is a power position and we are getting zip from that spot. I'll take anyone else there at this point. I said it in the game thread that I'm fearing the Morel/Pitcher de jour during interleague. We will have to win with 7 batters.

DirtySox
05-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Trotting out the overmatched Morel who now has a bulging disc in his back is not a long term solution either. Robin has talked about watching guys approaches and if they are battling at the plate and making judgments on that more than results. He has to be seeing the same sad sack at bats we are. The only battle right now is the one in Morel's head. He rarely sees more than 3 or 4 pitches and is making Juan Pierre's old SLG% seem Ruthian by comparison. 3B is a power position and we are getting zip from that spot. I'll take anyone else there at this point. I said it in the game thread that I'm fearing the Morel/Pitcher de jour during interleague. We will have to win with 7 batters.

Just wait until Kenny backs up the truck. Hope for a legitimate 3B prospect. Kevin Youkilis isn't saving this Sox team.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Two runs on 10 hits...nice.

The surest cure for a hitter or pitcher heading south, play the White Sox.

Lip

palehozenychicty
05-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Just wait until Kenny backs up the truck. Hope for a legitimate 3B prospect. Kevin Youkilis isn't saving this Sox team.

Him and what scouting army? I'll believe it when I see it.

Tragg
05-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Get Youkilis and flip him. Come on, get with the program!
Unfortunately, Williams' ability to execute the sell-off is dubious.

TaylorStSox
05-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Two runs on 10 hits...nice.

The surest cure for a hitter or pitcher heading south, play the White Sox.

Lip
We hit the ball pretty well tonight. There were a lot of line drives. We're just lacking in consistent power throughout the line up. You've got Dunn, Viciedo and Konerko, as far power threats. The rest of the line up isn't dangerous enough.

SteveFakeBlood
05-17-2012, 01:13 AM
I think it's hard to reach the acceptance stage because the Tigers are playing so poorly- and no one (other than possibly the Indians themselves) really believes the Indians are going to be a factor after the All-star break.

Anyway, it's encouraging to see Viciedo hitting. Who knows if he can overcome his poor plate discipline (on the plus side, he's still only 23- and with a change in approach can still be a decent hitter with very little discipline), but he sprays the ball all over the field when he actually makes contact.

I guess Gavin was due for a letdown, just as Jake was yesterday. They can't have great stuff every time out (yes, Jake didn't give up any runs through the first five- but from walking Jackson to lead off the game- he was laboring).

Watching Trout in Center was as frustrating as watching Austin Jackson. It feels like it's been a long time since the Sox have had a Center fielder who could make it look so easy.

Anyway, those were a couple ugly games- maybe Sale and the rest of the team will be well-rested enough to salvage a split tomorrow.

~ Steve

SoxSpeed22
05-17-2012, 01:22 AM

Him and what scouting army? I'll believe it when I see it.Whoever we trade Peavy to might have a third baseman? :dunno:

TaylorStSox
05-17-2012, 01:24 AM
I think it's hard to reach the acceptance stage because the Tigers are playing so poorly- and no one (other than possibly the Indians themselves) really believes the Indians are going to be a factor after the All-star break.

Anyway, it's encouraging to see Viciedo hitting. Who knows if he can overcome his poor plate discipline (on the plus side, he's still only 23- and with a change in approach can still be a decent hitter with very little discipline), but he sprays the ball all over the field when he actually makes contact.

I guess Gavin was due for a letdown, just as Jake was yesterday. They can't have great stuff every time out (yes, Jake didn't give up any runs through the first five- but from walking Jackson to lead off the game- he was laboring).

Watching Trout in Center was as frustrating as watching Austin Jackson. It feels like it's been a long time since the Sox have had a Center fielder who could make it look so easy.

Anyway, those were a couple ugly games- maybe Sale and the rest of the team will be well-rested enough to salvage a split tomorrow.

~ Steve

Viciedo's MO at every level has been to improve plate discipline as he adjusts. He's too much of a natural hitter to be failure, IMO.

Anderson was a hell of a defensive CF.

Trout got a real good jump on that ball, but it wasn't as insane of a jump as Hawk made it sound. "You might see as good of a jump, but you won't see a better one." "You might find guys as strong, but you won't find anybody stronger than Viciedo." "You won't see a better throw from a LF'r in all of baseball." Those are just a few from tonight's game. He used to pull of those out a week. Now, he's doing multiple "You won't find a better" in every inning. :mad:

doublem23
05-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Tank hit the ball hard and AJ continues to hit well. Not much good to take out of this one.

Nice first game back for Crain, too. Picked Trout off 1B.

Hopefully he can stay healthy through July now and net us a prospect or two.

JB98
05-17-2012, 01:32 AM
If anyone has anything creative at this hour, feel free to add it, maybe I'll change the thread title.

Creativity at this hour after that game? ****.

Nevertheless, if anyone wants a recap of this game here is tonight's TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4257).

At least they didn't give us any false hope this time. :shrug:

hawkjt
05-17-2012, 03:10 AM
All I could think about was ...where was Crain yesterday to face Jackson in the 6th,up 6-5 with two men on base? Robin sticks with Ohman,and Jackson hits a three run homer. So,today we trot our best righty out there in mop-up time instead? Not good. If we win yesterday,today is not so painful.

This two games on the west coast in 20 hour road trip is fricking ridiculous...thanks a lot MLB!

I was listening to ESPN the other nite during the Angels-Rangers game and they said basically that all you had to do to get Albert Pujols out was not throw him a strike. Well, Gavin,AJ and Coop were not listening as they decided to serve Albert up a fastball on the inner half...then the rest of the day they stayed on the outside and he had no chance. Nice scouting guys.

Same old pattern, when we pitch,can't hit,and vice versa. Tigers give up 11 runs today after 8 yesterday,but they split. We give up 10 and 7 and we go 0-2.
Gavin has been so good, I was surprised they roughed him up like this,but he aint perfect...nor is Jake,obviously...but they were are two best of late. Not good. Sale must come thru tomorrow.

I will go out on a limb and predict that the Sox are the only team in MLB that will make a 20 hour road trip to the West coast all year...darn them all!
This is shaping up to be an early dagger week for this season. Cubs will be waiting,and eager to sweep the Sox and finish off a disaster week.

aryzner
05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I knew Pujols would homer off us. It just had to happen. It was inevitable. He'll probably do it again today.

tstrike2000
05-17-2012, 08:38 AM
It's Fukudome's fault.

jdm2662
05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
I knew Pujols would homer off us. It just had to happen. It was inevitable. He'll probably do it again today.

I was half asleep watching his at bat. I turned to my wife and said, watch him jack one here. Two pitches later...

amsteel
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM
I have hope...for next season...that they'll be above .500 in May.

Shoot for the stars, folks!

vinny
05-17-2012, 11:35 AM
All I could think about was ...where was Crain yesterday to face Jackson in the 6th,up 6-5 with two men on base? Robin sticks with Ohman,and Jackson hits a three run homer. So,today we trot our best righty out there in mop-up time instead? Not good. If we win yesterday,today is not so painful.

Completely agree. If Crain was activated and ready to go, then let's put him in a crunch situation where we know that Ohman will likely fail.

salty99
05-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Does any team in MLB have a worse bench then the Sox?

sullythered
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Does any team in MLB have a worse bench then the Sox?

You mean, like, in MLB history? I don't know, maybe.

BigKlu59
05-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Agree with Foulke...Zombie baseball after the red eye with some real putrid AB's. Gavin's gift wrapped cookie to Albert sealed this one early.
Not jumping off of the bridge yet. But these guys do make it maddening to watch at times.

BK59

salty99
05-17-2012, 02:11 PM
You mean, like, in MLB history? I don't know, maybe.

No not in MLB history.

SteveFakeBlood
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Viciedo's MO at every level has been to improve plate discipline as he adjusts. He's too much of a natural hitter to be failure, IMO.

Anderson was a hell of a defensive CF.

Trout got a real good jump on that ball, but it wasn't as insane of a jump as Hawk made it sound. "You might see as good of a jump, but you won't see a better one." "You might find guys as strong, but you won't find anybody stronger than Viciedo." "You won't see a better throw from a LF'r in all of baseball." Those are just a few from tonight's game. He used to pull of those out a week. Now, he's doing multiple "You won't find a better" in every inning. :mad:

I don't totally disagree with you, I think Tank's plate discipline shows signs of improving, but then it seems like he frustratingly regresses every couple games- maybe that's just natural for a young hitter and I'm being too hard on him- but his natural line drive hitting ability to all fields makes his sometimes complete inability to lay off bad ones really frustrating. The kid has huge upside as he's shown the last few games, and in flashes in both of the last two seasons.

Anderson was a good defensive center fielder and got much better jumps on balls than Rowand (Rowand had more flair and caught most things that came his way, but I think a fair amount of that diving had to do with not seeing the ball as well off the bat), but I think other than his great diving catch to end the Blackout game- I mostly remember his utter futility at the plate. Maybe my sentimental feelings towards the early to mid '90s Sox teams (as well as being a young and impressionable kid) is clouding my memory, but I remember Lance Johnson making Center field look like a piece of cake (I could go to Baseball-reference and look at his range factor and confirm or deny those memories, but I don't think I will). It was easy for me to be jealous of other team's center fielder's when they're making catches to stop rallies rather than being rendered a non-factor (like today).

~ Steve