PDA

View Full Version : RIP Kevin Hickey

LITTLE NELL
05-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Very sad.
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/5/16/3024157/former-white-sox-pitcher-kevin-hickey-dies-at-56

Chez
05-16-2012, 12:22 PM
When I used to play a lot of 16 inch softball in my 20's and 30's , I often fantasized that I would be "discovered" by an MLB scout who happened to be watching just like Kevin Hickey was.

RIP Kevin and condolences to his family and friends.

TDog
05-16-2012, 01:33 PM
I just got the e-mail from the White Sox, and it was a heartbreaking way to begin my day, and not just because he is only a couple of years older than me. I got to know Kevin Hickey at the fantasy camps, playing on his team a few times, faced him on the mound and once robbed him of a hit from right field. When I would go to see the Sox play in Oakland, I get to the park early enough to see him throwing batting practice and got to say hi and talk with him a bit before he headed back in the dugout. He did a dead-on Roland Hemond impression in Roland Hemond's presence.

No doubt the players will commemorate him with shoulder patches. Kevin Hickey was a good guy. He struck me as a good teammate and a good friend, the kind who had your back.

Fox-To-Aparicio
05-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Wow. Great guy and will be missed. Always fun to be around. I have a letter some where from him that I will post. It talks about his foundest White Sox memory.

RIP

KingXerxes
05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
This is really too bad.

Did any information ever become available as to what his malady was? I just know he was found in a coma, but that's it.

DumpJerry
05-16-2012, 02:31 PM
:whiner: very sad news. All of my friends who have met him said he was a very genuine person and enjoyed meeting him.

Foulke You
05-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Tough year for the White Sox family. First Moose, and now Hickey. :(:

SI1020
05-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Very depressing news to be sure. He came from out of nowhere to sign a big league contract and pitch for his hometown team. My condolences to his family and friends.

Bucky F. Dent
05-16-2012, 02:37 PM
A terrible loss. Rest in Peace.

FielderJones
05-16-2012, 02:52 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120516&content_id=31426800&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

Too young.

:rip:

white sox bill
05-16-2012, 03:17 PM
The Sox had high hopes for him decades ago, but ya gotta love anyone who bleeds the Silver and Black like he did. RIP Kevin

salty99
05-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Rest in peace Kevin. I'll miss seeing you around the park and at different Sox events. A couple years ago after the last home game he threw me up his hat which I thought was a great gesture. He liked to call me Britt Burns because he could never remember my real name.

PaleHoser
05-16-2012, 03:51 PM
I thought it odd to see a pitcher wear a single digit number in "Major League II". Stayed for the credits and saw that Kevin Hickey played "Shoup", and seeing a pitcher wear #9 made perfect sense. South Side through and through.

My prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

#1swisher
05-16-2012, 03:54 PM
:rip:

Condolences to his family.

34 Inch Stick
05-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I remember him coming out to talk to my little league and signing baseballs for everyone when I was a kid. Good guy.

soxinem1
05-16-2012, 06:19 PM
One of the great stories of the late 70's. Hometown kid tries out for his favorite team and makes it.

I was unhappy when he was traded away but elated when his persistence brought him back to MLB after being out over five seasons.

Very very sad indeed. :(:

Lip Man 1
05-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Damn I'm sorry to read this. Talked with him in the dugout in 2010. Went over the old days. He was a happy guy who seemed to love being on a ballfield every day.

Lip

Steelrod
05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
One of the finest gentleman I have ever met in sports. Treated everyone with friendliness, dignity and respect. Will be missed by every person who has ever been in contact with him. Rest in peace, Hick!

tstrike2000
05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
RIP Kevin. Thanks for all you did for the Sox.

tick53
05-16-2012, 07:04 PM
A true Chicagoan and a good man. I was lucky enough to see you pitch and we were all lucky to have you with us.

Rest In Peace Good Sir!! Prayers to your family :(:

Lip Man 1
05-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Heard from the Sox that Kevin was a diabetic and that illness played a part in what happened.

Lip

FiskHickeyZisk
05-16-2012, 07:24 PM
He was the first pro baseball player I ever met and a favorite since that day. Ironically I met him at a family members wake, he shared a mutual friend. 15 years later I married his daughter and gave him a grandson. He was a great guy and the family misses him a great deal already. Very hard to believe all this has happened.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2012, 08:23 PM
FHZ:

Very sorry to read of your families loss.

Kevin was one of a select fraternity...someone with the talent and drive to play pro baseball for the White Sox.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-former-sox-reliever-kevin-hickey-dies-20120516,0,5674663.story

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/43/026a06356ba3357e94914647b4e815f0/m.jpg

Lip

jdm2662
05-16-2012, 08:27 PM
He played before my time, but I read a book about the Sox that was written I think 1981. He was mentioned as one of the exciting players to look forward to.

What was funny is that my brother had a classmate with the very same name. I think I read the book around 86 or 87 so I found it kind of funny.

RIP Kevin. Sorry, I didn't get to know you, but you sounded like a great guy.

Rikirk
05-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Damn...

My uncle was friends with Kevin, and he introduced me to him back when I was about 7. He seemed like a great guy.

His brother Bucky was my grammer school gym coach back then...he was a great guy too.

Condolences and prayers to the family.
:(:

BainesHOF
05-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Remember how he used to take a big, deep breath before throwing a pitch?

Hickey was a good pitcher and seemingly a better guy. I always saw him treat fans well.

SteveFakeBlood
05-17-2012, 01:21 AM
I never really knew about Kevin Hickey beyond hearing the name casually thrown around a couple times as a batting practice pitcher. I was born in '83, so he was before my time, more or less. His story sounds like something out of a film (i.e. Invincible or The Rookie), but that's what makes it exceptional and amazing. He got basically plucked out of obscurity to play on his hometown team and have the rare privilege of playing on a Sox team that actually made the playoffs. I regret not hearing his story until now.

It also sounds like a fair amount of you also knew him personally and that he was a great guy, so it's sad to hear that he passed away. Condolences to his friends and family and may he rest in peace.

~ Steve

tebman
05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
I saw him at SoxFest and my great regret is that I didn't go up and talk to him. His story fascinated me and his obvious enthusiam on the field simply made me feel good. I remember watching one of his early appearances in 1981 when he shut down the side in a tough situation. After the third out he went running intot the dugout like a kid full of genuine excitement. He knew he was a lucky man.

That's one of those snapshots of baseball that has always stuck with me and I'm sorry I didn't make a point to tell him about it. Rest in peace, HIck.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Great story:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/12569512-419/kevin-hickey-a-long-shot-who-fulfilled-a-neighborhood-dream-dies-at-56.html

Lip

FielderJones
05-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Great story:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/12569512-419/kevin-hickey-a-long-shot-who-fulfilled-a-neighborhood-dream-dies-at-56.html

And at the same time, a fairly sad story. Certainly Kevin crammed quite a life into those 56 years. There's a movie there, for sure.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
A movie about Kevin Hickey would be the only place you'll ever see a story like that again -- the softball pitcher, trying out, not only making the bigs but pitching for his hometown team -- that's all fairy-tale land now.

Very sorry for your family's loss, FHZ.

LongLiveFisk
05-17-2012, 08:51 PM
He was the first pro baseball player I ever met and a favorite since that day. Ironically I met him at a family members wake, he shared a mutual friend. 15 years later I married his daughter and gave him a grandson. He was a great guy and the family misses him a great deal already. Very hard to believe all this has happened.

So sorry for your loss. Prayers to your family.

RIP, Kevin. :(:

Fox-To-Aparicio
05-18-2012, 02:33 AM
As promised on page one of this thread I said I would post a letter from Kevin.

I am a little embarrased posting this and I will let you know why. A few years ago (2007) I started a winter hobby of writing letters to members of the 1959 team as well as the 1983 team. I requested that they tell me thier favorite White Sox memory and requested that if I sent them a ball would they sign it.

Long story short I got a ball signed by all surviving members of the 1959 team (Still need Aparicio because he is never in country) and a bunch of the 1983 team. It is embarasing because I was 33 years old but as a native southsider I wanted some vintage player stuff for the collection.

Anyway here is the letter back from K Hickey and I just wanted to let you all see it. Again nothing fancy just trying to preserve the stories from these guys.

I will do a painting as well.

Glen

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/KH.jpg

#1swisher
05-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen

Kevin Hickey funeral: Visitation 3-9 Monday, Damar-Kaminski,7861 S. 88th, Justice.
Mass 10 am Tues, Old St. Pat’s Church 700 W. Adams.

palehosepub
05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
As promised on page one of this thread I said I would post a letter from Kevin.

I am a little embarrased posting this and I will let you know why. A few years ago (2007) I started a winter hobby of writing letters to members of the 1959 team as well as the 1983 team. I requested that they tell me thier favorite White Sox memory and requested that if I sent them a ball would they sign it.

Long story short I got a ball signed by all surviving members of the 1959 team (Still need Aparicio because he is never in country) and a bunch of the 1983 team. It is embarasing because I was 33 years old but as a native southsider I wanted some vintage player stuff for the collection.

Anyway here is the letter back from K Hickey and I just wanted to let you all see it. Again nothing fancy just trying to preserve the stories from these guys.

I will do a painting as well.

Glen

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/KH.jpgThat's a cool letter! What a feeling that must have been to get that news and make that call home. I did a similar project as you years ago, I sent letters to the 1959 team members asking them their favorite memory and asking them if I sent a large color team photo and a SASE would they sign and return it. Nearly every player replied to the letter and had me send the photo. I picked up Aparicio and Wynn's autos at card shows. The only living guy who didn't answer was Rivera who generally was an easy autograph. Bubba Phillips died the day after I mailed a letter to him (not my fault!). Anyway the collection of player's letters mean as much to me as the signed photo. Many players had the same quote " the greatest group of guys I ever played with". That 1959 team was close.

I didnt mean to hijack the thread. I also identified with Kevin Hickey being a SW side White Sox fan, he was kind of an everyman hero. Don Pall was too but to a lesser extent...

#1swisher
05-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Tribute to Kevin Hickey in the dugout.

twitpic (http://twitpic.com/9mh267)

October26
05-18-2012, 07:36 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers and condolences to you and your family during this very sad time.

Remember how he used to take a big, deep breath before throwing a pitch?

Hickey was a good pitcher and seemingly a better guy. I always saw him treat fans well.

He sure did. I had an opportunity to meet and speak with Kevin Hickey at the 2006 SoxFest where I asked him for his autograph. He obliged and signed my schedule/program book. I remember that Kevin was so laid back and easy to talk to. I really enjoyed meeting and speaking with him.

RIP, Kevin. :(:

michned
05-19-2012, 01:28 AM

In Spring Training 2006 I brought my son to a game and we sat near the dugout. Before the game Kevin threw my son a ball. My son didn't hound him for it or anything, he just basically saw my son sitting there and decided to throw him one. And even better, he came out in between the first couple innings and asked my son about his Little League team, etc. Gave him the memory of a lifetime.

Condolences and prayers to Kevin's family.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-19-2012, 02:09 AM
RIP Keven Hickey. I remember meeting him at a Soxfest a few years back. He was really nice and seemed like a great guy. I had him sign a ball with the inscription ''83 Winning Ugly.' Unfortunately it's starting to fade.

BigHurt3515
05-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Kevin Hickey was a name that I have heard of before but never read anything about. After reading a couple articles that you guys posted and reading what you guys said, he sounded like a great guy. Wish I got to see him play and knew more about him before this happened.
RIP Kevin Hickey

Wedema
05-20-2012, 09:35 PM
It was great to see Cooper holding Hickey's jersey when the team took a picture with the Crosstown Cup after the game.

#1swisher
05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Chuck Garfien

Emotional funeral today for Kevin Hickey. AJ Pierzynski and Don Cooper gave speeches. Sox players filled the church.

fisk4ever
05-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the post. He was so young, but obviously lived his life surrounded by loving family and true friends.

fisk4ever
05-22-2012, 03:38 PM
A movie about Kevin Hickey would be the only place you'll ever see a story like that again -- the softball pitcher, trying out, not only making the bigs but pitching for his hometown team -- that's all fairy-tale land now.

Very sorry for your family's loss, FHZ.

That would be a great movie. Who would play the lead?

thomas35forever
05-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Looks like Hickey is joining Moose in the memorial patch department for this year. Saw the photo on the Sox's Facebook page.

MeteorsSox4367
05-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I've gotten to know Kevin's brother and some of his friends through my job and they are just great South Side people.

Our school's president was the celebrant for Kevin's funeral Mass today at Old St. Pat's and he said that it was a beautiful service.

RIP, Kevin. Thanks for making Brighton Park proud.

#1swisher
05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Nice tribute to Moose and Hick.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151158827288298&set=a.445577753297.230802.45484098297&type=1&theater

Warriorjan
05-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear the service was nice and that so many Sox players were able to attend. Meteor, if you don't mind if I ask, which school you are referring to - Old St. Pat's has three different school president's who say Mass there and I'm curious to know which one celebrated the Mass. I didn't know Kevin had any relationship with the parish.