PDA

View Full Version : Dave Wills Gives WSI Some Free Publicity...


TornLabrum
07-23-2002, 06:46 PM
...and at the same time cracks me up. I was at a luncheon today MCed by Wills, taking notes for a newsletter to which I contribute. One of the fans in the audience asked the guests, Rocky Biddle and Jose Valentin what they really thought of Jerry Manuel.

Before they could answer, Wills said to the players, "I see Hal's out there writing stuff down, so keep in mind he's Jerry Manuel's biggest fan from all the stuff he's writing in his column on the White Sox Interactive web site."

I almost ended up on the floor, I was laughing so hard. Good one, Dave!

kevingrt
07-23-2002, 09:40 PM
You think he's registered to this site?

Daver
07-23-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
You think he's registered to this site?

I know he reads it,I have no idea if he is registered or not.

doublem23
07-23-2002, 09:48 PM
LOL!

idseer
07-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by daver


I know he reads it,I have no idea if he is registered or not.

it's funny, but i never gave any real thought to the fact that perhaps ALL the sox personel read this site. :?:
we can get pretty nasty on players sometimes.

not that there's anything wrong with that.

in fact, would anyone be surprised if they discovered one of us is one of them? :o:

TornLabrum
07-23-2002, 10:08 PM
The thing that cuts me to the quick, though, is that when we talked privately about an hour before, he called my recent columns, "Mariotti-like." I've been trying to go more for Royko, and it seems I've failed miserably. :(:

Daver
07-23-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The thing that cuts me to the quick, though, is that when we talked privately about an hour before, he called my recent columns, "Mariotti-like." I've been trying to go more for Royko, and it seems I've failed miserably. :(:

Man I would have punched Wills if he dissed me like that Hal.

TornLabrum
07-23-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by daver


Man I would have punched Wills if he dissed me like that Hal.

No kidding. What I did say was, "I'm still loyal. I'm just tired of losing." He did admit that he saw my point.

Daver
07-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum


No kidding. What I did say was, "I'm still loyal. I'm just tired of losing." He did admit that he saw my point.

Your more than welcome to borrow a bow if you want have your "point" emphasized.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by idseer
in fact, would anyone be surprised if they discovered one of us is one of them? :o: Yeah, I'm really Frank Thomas. That's why I defend myself so much.

LongDistanceFan
07-24-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Yeah, I'm really Frank Thomas. That's why I defend myself so much.

so why do you even have a profile?

34 Inch Stick
07-24-2002, 09:15 AM
I'm Antonio Osuna. I've got the face for the internet...and my wife is back in Mexico with our child so I need to pick up girls some way.

CuckTheFubs
07-24-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Yeah, I'm really Frank Thomas. That's why I defend myself so much.

I'm really Ron Santo. As I said the other day, I'm part of baseball's best radio broadcast dual.

:santo
"Patrick, I am master of
duh American language."

Cheryl
07-24-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Yeah, I'm really Frank Thomas. That's why I defend myself so much.

No you're not. Frank doesn't know any baseball history.

Cheryl
07-24-2002, 11:15 AM
As long as we know Wills is at least lurking, he might want to know the Assistant GM of the Astros is another proud Oak Lawn alum. Tim Purpura, OLCHS class of '76. I just found this out yesterday.

CuckTheFubs
07-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
As long as we know Wills is at least lurking, he might want to know the Assistant GM of the Astros is another proud Oak Lawn alum. Tim Purpura, OLCHS class of '76. I just found this out yesterday.

Think Mr. Purpura would be interested in a career with the White Sox?

steff
07-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs


Think Mr. Purpura would be interested in a career with the White Sox?


Why... is he brainless?? :D:

CuckTheFubs
07-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by steff3603



Why... is he brainless?? :D:

Apparently that is a prerequisite.

DVG
07-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The thing that cuts me to the quick, though, is that when we talked privately about an hour before, he called my recent columns, "Mariotti-like." I've been trying to go more for Royko, and it seems I've failed miserably. :(:



Oh, man. That is low. LOW. I do not see you in any way resembling Mariotti's overheated ranting. You don't write
every article like you are bucking for a Pulitzer. You are
also a Sox fan who actually WANTS to see the team succeed.

TornLabrum
07-25-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by DVG




Oh, man. That is low. LOW. I do not see you in any way resembling Mariotti's overheated ranting. You don't write
every article like you are bucking for a Pulitzer. You are
also a Sox fan who actually WANTS to see the team succeed.

I've known Dave for maybe six or seven years now, and I'm more than reasonably sure he was kidding around. I also have a sneaking suspicion that he'd love to be able to say the same things on his post-game show.

I do disagree with being compared to Mariotti, though. I certainly hope I'm not the windsock he has been throughout his tenure in Chicago.

I also have no illusions about my writing talent. I can put several paragraphs together with relative coherence. Anything more than that is purely coincidental. On the other hand, I think that by at least being able to do that, that does put me one step ahead of Mariotti. :D:

LongDistanceFan
07-25-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum


I've known Dave for maybe six or seven years now, and I'm more than reasonably sure he was kidding around. I also have a sneaking suspicion that he'd love to be able to say the same things on his post-game show.

I do disagree with being compared to Mariotti, though. I certainly hope I'm not the windsock he has been throughout his tenure in Chicago.

I also have no illusions about my writing talent. I can put several paragraphs together with relative coherence. Anything more than that is purely coincidental. On the other hand, I think that by at least being able to do that, that does put me one step ahead of Mariotti. :D:

i enjoy reading you stuff. the retro flash back was great.