PDA

View Full Version : Column On How Sox Handle Pitchers...

Lip Man 1
05-14-2012, 11:16 PM
In the wake of the Sale 'controversy' the author looks back at the past few seasons. Worth a read.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/12527256-419/white-sox-pitch-caution-but-they-are-anything-but.html

Lip

TaylorStSox
05-14-2012, 11:28 PM
10 DL stints in 3 years doesn't seem out of the norm, to me. It looks even better when you consider that 4 of those stints, in the article, are from Peavy and Putz who have a history of injury. Thornton, Danks and Putz didn't have serious injuries. In fact, the only serious injury was a freak Peavy that had nothing to do with his arm. The writer tries to imply that the Sox are somewhat reckless with their pitchers clearly is not true.

asindc
05-14-2012, 11:31 PM
In the wake of the Sale 'controversy' the author looks back at the past few seasons. Worth a read.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/12527256-419/white-sox-pitch-caution-but-they-are-anything-but.html

Lip

No, it wasn't.

10 DL stints in 3 years doesn't seem out of the norm, to me. It looks even better when you consider that 4 of those stints, in the article, are from Peavy and Putz who have a history of injury. Thornton, Danks and Putz didn't have serious injuries. In fact, the only serious injury was a freak Peavy that had nothing to do with his arm. The writer tries to imply that the Sox are somewhat reckless with their pitchers clearly is not true.

What he said.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Taylor:

It doesn't seem to be a great number to me either although you'd have to compare it to the other teams. I think the point about pitch counts and pitchers talking management out of doing certain things is pertinent however.

ASIN:

It was worth the read to me to get a different viewpoint. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Lip

WLL1855
05-14-2012, 11:56 PM
After I read this article, it strikes me as a reporter with an ax to grind more than a fact finding piece (a version of this comment keeps popping up in the article - "That doesn’t sound like it fits the description of ‘‘too cautious’’ to me.") He sounds like a hack wanting to make himself sound smarter than the guys employed by the team. Before I had read the byline I expected this piece to be written by Cowley.

TaylorStSox
05-15-2012, 01:00 AM
After I read this article, it strikes me as a reporter with an ax to grind more than a fact finding piece (a version of this comment keeps popping up in the article - "That doesn’t sound like it fits the description of ‘‘too cautious’’ to me.") He sounds like a hack wanting to make himself sound smarter than the guys employed by the team. Before I had read the byline I expected this piece to be written by Cowley.
Agreed. It's just a poor piece. Sox fans aren't stupid. Most will see through this crap.

*edit* I really need to proofread my posts.

hawkjt
05-15-2012, 01:21 AM
This boils down to Potash suggesting that Sale should not have pitched out of the bullpen,I guess. I think Potash makes a very weak case that the Sox have not been cautious with their pitchers. The Peavy thing came almost a full month of good pitching after the initial discomfort. And it was basically out of the blue.
Jenks? C'mon, Bobby just wore out,and thankfully the Sox recognized it and did not re-sign him.
Sox have done a good job of keeping their pitchers healthy,especially starters,over the years. Bullcrap column.

TDog
05-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Does anyone remember how frequently White Sox pitchers went down with injury when Nardi Contreras was the pitching coach?