PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Plenty To Smyly About And Give Tanks For' 5/14 DET vs CWS Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Great efforts by Viciedo and the bullpen, however Danks command totally blows so far in 2012.

Can we say Addison Reed is the closer now? :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
05-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice to grab a win

Lip Man 1
05-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice to grab a win at home. How about they go for their first "winning" homestand of the season tomorrow?

Lip

Zakath
05-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice relief work by the bullpen to bail out a really bad performance by Danks.

6 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 5 K, 0 R.

fram40
05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
not sure which is better - the post game thread title or the come back win!

Nice game. very nice.

voodoochile
05-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Bowl me over with a feather. I almost turned this game off after the top of the first. Danks needs to step up real soon.

As crappy as the Sox have been playing to be this close is great. Definitely a Jeckel and Hyde year.

Thanks, Zack, Donkey, the rest of the bullpen and most importantly, Tank.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

palehozenychicty
05-14-2012, 10:17 PM
"Danks for that ribeye and bordeaux dinner!", says the bullpen.

:tongue:

fram40
05-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice relief work by the bullpen to bail out a really bad performance by Danks.

6 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 5 K, 0 R.

Don't forget stranding both runners left on for Stewart. WIth no outs, to boot. That was huge. I was expecting a 10 - 2 deficit at that point

Maybe this will also get the bullpen back on track.

Wedema
05-14-2012, 10:21 PM
And a another bomb by Dunn-- but this time off of a lefty for the first time since 2010!

Brian26
05-14-2012, 10:24 PM
And a another bomb by Dunn-- but this time off of a lefty for the first time since 2010!

Is that true? I thought Dunn had a homer off a lefty earlier in the year, perhaps in the Texas series.

Edit- nevermind, Garfein just mentioned first since 2010.

ChiSoxGal85
Nice win - way to battle back from a bad performance by Danks. Hope this gets the momentum rolling!

voodoochile
Is that true? I thought Dunn had a homer off a lefty earlier in the year, perhaps in the Texas series.

That was what the TV graphic said - first since 2010.

Edit: and his splits show no HR against LHP this year.

JB98
05-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Yeah, his home run in Texas was off Lewis on Opening Day.

tstrike2000
05-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Nice to see guys stepping up who have been struggling ie. Tank, Morel, Alexei, Santiago and Thornton.

fram40
05-14-2012, 10:27 PM

per b-r.com, all 11 have been off righties.

TDog
05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Positive notes aren't fashionable here, but consider that in seven major league starts, Drew Smyly has given up more than one run only twice, both times to the White Sox. He is a left-handed rookie who has been having success against every team he has faced, except perhaps tonight. In both of his starts against the White Sox, the Tigers trailed going into the ninth.

The Tigers knocked Danks around, but tonight the Sox hit a couple of home runs with men on base, their bullpen showed up, keeping the Tigers off the board even when they had a runner on third with one out and Jackson up, and the Tigers bullpen, once again, failed to protect a lead. Maybe Reed made fans nervous in the ninth, but not as nervous as they would have been if had to see Dunn step up as the potential tying or winning run in the ninth. Most impressive, though, was Zach Stewart, who may felt he was pitching for his job with Cain coming off the disabled list. He just shut the Tigers down. Really, the Tigers after Danks left looked like the White Sox looked against the Royals Saturday and Sunday (or the Rangers looked against the Royals in Texas tonight).

Viciedo had the big night, bringing the White Sox back to within one and then putting the Sox ahead getting his first career bases-loaded hit. Morel with a two-strike hit from the bottom of the lineup, made it a bit easier to close out the win. It's nice to win a bad start once in awhile.

It must have been a wonderful night for a White Sox fan to be at the ballpark.

amsteel
05-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Winning a slugfest is a pleasant departure.

To be perfectly honest, I was not very confident with a 2 run lead in the 6th considering the bullpen had 3 inning ahead of it.

It's great to win a game when not all phases came out and had a great night. Finally, the offense bails us out.

GoGoCrede
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Great night at the ballpark!

DickAllen72
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Great game by Viciedo. Dunn with another bomb. Good jobs by Stewart and Reed. Santiago is tough to stomach and Danks was just bad, yet again.

All in all a great win. :bandance: Now let's sweep 'em tomorrow! Please? :gulp:

slavko
05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Reed scares me, I'm not as impressed as most of you. #1 is mid-90's and straight, does throw a nice slider, should use it more. He is around the strike zone though. Well, what do we want, Mariano?

Tank has to swing hard, forget the K's. He looked awful last Sept, trying to be a contact hitter. Is he any good in the final analysis? Prolly not.

hawkjt
05-14-2012, 11:42 PM
One of the nicest nites of the season at Soxpark,with a reasonably warm temps,and right on cue,here comes Tank,as promised by Hawk all year...he starts hitting in the summer,and maybe summer will come early this week.
Time to go,offense.
Danks simply cannot throw strikes many of his starts this year,same as many of our pitchers lately.
Still,this was a big,big win. Now,with Jake going tomorrow, Sox have a shot to pull ahead of the Tigers.
This week is huge for the Sox,imo. Tigers for two, out to catch the slumping Angels for two,then back for the always emotional Cubs series at Wrigley. If the Sox could have a big week,it could springboard the team into their normally good stretch of June/July,and be a turning point in the season.

Stewart finally showed me something tonite. Tigers are struggling also,and Danks threw them a lifejacket,but then Tank blew it up. Fielder has been horrible lately,but tonite he popped out of it...not good.
Scherzer tomorrow...he is tough on the Sox but they seem to find ways to eventually get to him...com'on Tank and Donkey...we need ya...PK is struggling,as is AJ.

Tragg
05-14-2012, 11:48 PM
The pen did a great job keeping the game within reach while we were getting outplayed (something we failed to do yesterday).

hawkjt
05-14-2012, 11:55 PM
What really makes this win special is that guys who led the charge:

Dunn- MIA last year.
Tank- MIA this year.
Morel- MIA this year.
Stewart- MIA this year.

Nice job by Morel coming up with that basehit. Just relax and hit,willya?

The Cubans hit the ball tonite,with 4 hits,4RBIs...is it warming up out there?

One thing about Danks...he had no command,and they were hitting ropes,but DeAza flat out mis-judged Fielders two run double...should have been caught,and that would have helped Danks a lot. Too bad. Alejandro has been solid,and that was one of those straight at him rising liners,so it happens,but it was catchable if he just holds his ground instead of breaking in.

BigHurt3515
05-15-2012, 01:19 AM
There is a lot less talk when we win. Ramirez and Viciedo will start to heat up people so dont get on them too much. I am as surprised as anybody that we scored 7 runs and came back to win. It was really nice to see.

thomas35forever
05-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Please let this be the game that turns the corner for the Tank.

kufram
05-15-2012, 03:36 AM
A win where the offense picks up the pitcher is a rare thing so far this year. The calls for players to be sent down or packing are missing the point. These are our guys this year. We must show enormous patience with Morel, Viciedo, Beckham, etc. There is no quick fix.

We have experience with Alexei and there is good reason to expect him to heat up. Danks has had very poor results at times. There is no guarantee but patience is the quality most needed this year.

cards press box
05-15-2012, 06:17 AM

It sure was.

:winner

October26
05-15-2012, 08:03 AM

Dunn- MIA last year.
Tank- MIA this year.
Morel- MIA this year.
Stewart- MIA this year.

One thing about Danks...he had no command,and they were hitting ropes,but DeAza flat out mis-judged Fielders two run double...should have been caught,and that would have helped Danks a lot. Too bad. Alejandro has been solid,and that was one of those straight at him rising liners,so it happens,but it was catchable if he just holds his ground instead of breaking in.

To answer your question, yes the weather forecasts are for 70's and 80's in Chicago this week (although the Sox play those weird Wed-Thurs games in California - what a goofy schedule they have this week).

Anyway, I was happy to see Dayan perform so well in last night's game. He has really been struggling and every time he strikes out, I feel like someone is punching me in the stomach. I liked seeing Dayan clapping after hitting the single that scored the go-ahead runs. He was excited and so was I. Kudos to the Sox bullpen for a strong showing last night after a disastrous Sunday. Great win!

guillensdisciple
05-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Dayan's my guy so if this is the beginning of his tear than I am ready and more than happy to see it happy. Kid has got a monster build, and if he utilizes it, he will be a great asset to this ball club. God knows we need another one with this team hitting the way it is.

TaylorStSox
05-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Reed scares me, I'm not as impressed as most of you. #1 is mid-90's and straight, does throw a nice slider, should use it more. He is around the strike zone though. Well, what do we want, Mariano?

Tank has to swing hard, forget the K's. He looked awful last Sept, trying to be a contact hitter. Is he any good in the final analysis? Prolly not.

Reed's fastball has wicked movement. There's nothing straight about it.

doublem23
05-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Reed's fastball has wicked movement. There's nothing straight about it.

QFT... I'm not sure how anyone can say that Reed's fastball is straight...

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/vertspeed.php-pitchSel=592665&game=gid_2012_05_14_detmlb_chamlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

Pitch FX taken from last night's game

DumpJerry
05-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Most definitely!

Dunn's HR was more than a bomb. I thought it would land in the seats after bouncing off the out of town scoreboard. It left his bat in a hurry, like someone running to the bathroom after drinking 12 beers in three minutes.

#1swisher
05-15-2012, 11:29 AM

Dunn- MIA last year.
Tank- MIA this year.
Morel- MIA this year.
Stewart- MIA this year.

I'm concerned about Morel. He had an MRI on Thursday, and received a cortisone shot to treat a bulging disc. :(:

DonnieDarko
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm concerned about Morel. He had an MRI on Thursday, and received a cortisone shot to treat a bulging disc. :(:

Do all Third Basemen have bad backs, or has it just been the last two good ones we've had?

Lip Man 1
05-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Bulging discs are no fun believe me. There are some days where it's painful just to do the simplist things let alone play baseball.

I understand they are in good shape and get great medical care but it's still very, very difficult.

Lip

ChiSoxGal85
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Yep, and I saw somewhere that he said he feels much better after the shot. I think it's affected his hitting more than he's let on. I hope this doesn't become a chronic thing. :(:

LITTLE NELL
05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Do all Third Basemen have bad backs, or has it just been the last two good ones we've had?

The Sox have always been jinxed with third sackers, Pete Ward was on the way to having a nice career but hurt his neck in a car accident, Melton fell off a ladder and hurt his back and was never the same. Ventura broke his ankle. Crede had major back problems. Along with those guys we had some real losers like Gene Freese, and years that we had good teams we did not have guys that would make you forget Brooks Robinson, guys like Vance Law, Herbert Perry, Bubba Phillips and Billy Goodman come to mind.

Foulke You
05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Yep, and I saw somewhere that he said he feels much better after the shot. I think it's affected his hitting more than he's let on. I hope this doesn't become a chronic thing. :(:
It really makes you wonder if Morel can even be a viable long term solution at 3B this year based on his health alone. There is a limit to how many cortizone shots you can get in a season. If the back flares up on him again, it might be DL time unless the Sox let him play through it.

JB98
05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
A win where the offense picks up the pitcher is a rare thing so far this year. The calls for players to be sent down or packing are missing the point. These are our guys this year. We must show enormous patience with Morel, Viciedo, Beckham, etc. There is no quick fix.

We have experience with Alexei and there is good reason to expect him to heat up. Danks has had very poor results at times. There is no guarantee but patience is the quality most needed this year.

The Sox do need to win more games like last night's moving forward. It's nice when you get good pitching and good defense and win 3-2, but it's difficult to do that consistently in the American League.

You need to be able to win in multiple ways, and that means sometimes you just have to outhit the opposition.

Foulke You
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
You need to be able to win in multiple ways, and that means sometimes you just have to outhit the opposition.
Agreed. It's the types of games like last night that the Sox have had trouble with the last few seasons. The pitching can't always be perfect every night.

TDog
05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
The Sox have always been jinxed with third sackers, Pete Ward was on the way to having a nice career but hurt his neck in a car accident, Melton fell off a ladder and hurt his back and was never the same. Ventura broke his ankle. Crede had major back problems. Along with those guys we had some real losers like Gene Freese, and years that we had good teams we did not have guys that would make you forget Brooks Robinson, guys like Vance Law, Herbert Perry, Bubba Phillips and Billy Goodman come to mind.

Herbert Perry really was a very good third baseman in 2000, strong defensively with a good bat, although by the end of the season he made Konerko look like a speed demon. But he just had that one solid partial year for the White Sox. And even Bill Melton was an error machine early at third. He worked hard to learn third base at the major league level.

Between Melton and Ventura, I wouldn't be surprised if the White Sox had more different players at third than any other major league team. Tom O'Malley looked can't-miss when I saw him in the PCL, but I must have caught him on his best defensive nights. The White Sox learned why the Giants let a .346 AAA hitter go so cheaply. Sure Jorge Orta can play third. How hard can it be?

There was a reason Richard Lindberg titled a White Sox history "Who's on Third?" And it was still available in Chicago-area book stores when the White Sox picked up O'Malley.