PDA

View Full Version : Suspensions

pythons007
05-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Are baseball suspensions fair? For instance, Cole Hamels recent suspension didn't cost him one start...so how is he really getting reprimanded? If you lose a position player for 5 days, that's 3-5 days worth of games.

I just don't see the logic in how they suspend starting pitchers. Am I wrong?

TDog
05-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Are baseball suspensions fair? For instance, Cole Hamels recent suspension didn't cost him one start...so how is he really getting reprimanded? If you lose a position player for 5 days, that's 3-5 days worth of games.

Doesn't a suspended player lose his salary for the days suspended? Unless that has changed, the team loses an eligible man on the roster (generally not a big issue for a starting pitcher, unless it's a starting pitcher) and the player loses his salary, often in addition to being fined.

asindc
05-14-2012, 04:42 PM

The suspension is meant to punish the player, not the team. With that said, I raised the same point when it came down. I'm guessing that the real punishment is losing the salary for those five games.

doublem23
05-14-2012, 04:54 PM

I agree it would be nice if there was a way to ensure all SP miss at least 1 turn in the rotation when suspended but I'm not sure how to implement that. Though, as has already been noted, the real punishment is that Hamels loses 5 games of pay, or about 3% of his annual salary.

TDog
05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
The suspension is meant to punish the player, not the team. With that said, I raised the same point when it came down. I'm guessing that the real punishment is losing the salary for those five games.

I always believed the suspension was supposed to punish both the player and the team following a similar principal of a player fouling out of a basketball game. MLB, for example, will not allow the Phillies to bring up another player from the minors while Hammels is ineligible. Maybe in both cases the team is just the victim of collateral damage.

Actually, if a starting pitcher is suspended for days he normally would not pitch, an emergency callup of a relief pitcher could work to the team's advantage. But when the White Sox had the numerous suspensions after the early season fight with the Tigers in 2000, the suspensions were staggered so that it wouldn't punish the team more severely than necessary.

pythons007
05-14-2012, 07:00 PM

What about when a manger gets suspended? He misses games depending on the suspension. That could significantly hurt the team.

WLL1855
05-14-2012, 08:02 PM
A simple solution would be to suspend the starting pitcher for say, 7 games. He'd have to miss a start in that case.

TDog
05-14-2012, 08:21 PM
A simple solution would be to suspend the starting pitcher for say, 7 games. He'd have to miss a start in that case.

As I understand it (and things may have changed), suspending a starting pitcher for more games than a relief pitcher or position player would be suspended, based on their different playing schedule, penalizes the starting pitchers disproportionately considering. A starting pitcher would lose a disproportionate amount of his salary.

If a hockey goalie is penalized (unless the rules have changes, it has been a very long time since I have played or watched hockey) a position player serves the penalty. I'm not advocating this, but if when an American League pitcher is suspended for throwing at a hitter, the league suspended the team's DH privileges, suspensions would be more meaningful.

Of course, Hamels is in the league where pitchers hit.