PDA

View Full Version : Southside Hitless Men

mahagga73
05-13-2012, 05:30 PM
This is the worst hitting team I have ever seen recently.2 runs against the KC Royals,lol.Viciedo needs to go to the minors,3 hrs and 5 rbi's at this point of the season is a joke.Escobar might as well not go up there.Morel is an automatic out.Beckham is average at best.If Dunn or Konerko don't do something they will lose every time.

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2012, 05:32 PM
This is the worst hitting team I have ever seen recently.2 runs against the KC Royals,lol.Viciedo needs to go to the minors,3 hrs and 5 rbi's at this point of the season is a joke.Escobar might as well not go up there.Morel is an automatic out.Beckham is average at best.If Dunn or Konerko don't do something they will lose every time.

I agree but please use your space bar.

chisoxfanatic
05-13-2012, 05:52 PM
What's sad about the system is that, you can send someone down to the minors. But, they really don't have anyone good to replace them. We need some real prospects for a change.

dickallen15
05-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Its time Greg Walker gets fired. Oh wait...............

dickallen15
05-13-2012, 05:54 PM
What's sad about the system is that, you can send someone down to the minors. But, they really don't have anyone good to replace them. We need some real prospects for a change.
That's a good point. Sending guys down only will make it worse.

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2012, 06:01 PM
That's a good point. Sending guys down only will make it worse.
How much worse can it be but maybe if you send some of these clowns down to the farm they will figure out what they have to do to get back to Chicago and never be sent down again.
We had 7 guys that played today that were batting at .208 or below, 6 of them under .200.

DrCrawdad
05-13-2012, 06:36 PM
How much worse can it be but maybe if you send some of these clowns down to the farm they will figure out what they have to do to get back to Chicago and never be sent down again.
We had 7 guys that played today that were batting at .208 or below, 6 of them under .200.

That explains it oh so clearly. That offense, yuck.

mahagga73
05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Viciedo has 5 extra base hits in over 30 games.He might get to 25 or 30
RBI at this pace.He's clueless,swings at everything.Pitchers don't even have to work to get him out.

Noneck
05-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Viciedo has 5 extra base hits in over 30 games.He might get to 25 or 30
RBI at this pace.He's clueless,swings at everything.Pitchers don't even have to work to get him out.

A 10M crap shoot, play it out for the year, then wrap it up.

mahagga73
05-13-2012, 07:25 PM
A 10M crap shoot, play it out for the year, then wrap it up.
Cespedes looks like the way better hitter right now.Spent it on the wrong player.Viciedo is a disaster in the field too.

Tragg
05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
One thing we should do is release Fukudome. I'm sure we can find a better bench bat off of the scrap heap than him.
He's not young, there's no potential - he just can't hit.

Viva Medias B's
05-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I think this is merely a byproduct of how bad our farm system is under KW.

Noneck
05-13-2012, 07:37 PM

As you are aware when Williams job was director minor operation and player development, the minor league system was quite good. Then when he became GM, the resources were not given to the minor league system. The blame goes above Williams.

amsteel
05-13-2012, 07:43 PM
How is it possible that this team bats 0.420 w/ a runner on third and less than 2 outs, and 0.173 with a runner on third and two outs?

They're clearly changing their approach once it reaches two outs, and its failing horribly.

Addendum: For context the league average w/ runner on third, less than 2 outs: 0.329; runner on third, 2 outs: 0.225.

tstrike2000
05-13-2012, 07:50 PM
One thing we should do is release Fukudome. I'm sure we can find a better bench bat off of the scrap heap than him.

Perhaps he could be released, but he has to be a better hitter than roughly half the guys in our lineup. The only problem is we can't platoon him in the infield.

Tragg
05-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Perhaps he could be released, but he has to be a better hitter than roughly half the guys in our lineup. The only problem is we can't platoon him in the infield.
But he isn't...he's the worst hitter on the team.
And at least with Morel and the rest, they are young were rushed and could improve.
There's simply no point in keeping him around. His spell at Cleveland last season was equally dreadful.

The only guys who will bring anything in trade are the pitchers. And this time Williams better make some savvy deals.....his best deals when dumping vets have been mediocre deals (the only real plus deal was the Garcia trade).
People beat on Ed Wade, ex Astros GM, but that guy did a great job dealing vets. He didn't take the fools-gold, Gammons/BP hyped AAA players; he took the more talented less developed players in many cases. And the new Astros GM stole Lowery from Boston for a mediocre middle reliever that the Astros dressed up as a closer out of necessity (Melancon is a Matt Karchner type).

Lip Man 1
05-13-2012, 08:08 PM
It's now May 13. Six weeks into the season.

The 2011-2012 Sox make the Sox hitters of the mid 60's (on teams remember that averaged 96 wins a year from 63-65) look like the 27 Yankees.

Lip

russ99
05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Its time Greg Walker gets fired. Oh wait...............

LOL. But seriously, Jeff Manto needs to adjust his overly aggressive approach for some of our more challenged hitters who put themselves in bad counts too often.

While the improvement with Dunn and Rios is noticeable, he needs to work more with the guys who are scuffling, and not give the pitcher such an advantage with early 2-strike counts.

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2012, 08:45 PM
It's now May 13. Six weeks into the season.

The 2011-2012 Sox make the Sox hitters of the mid 60's (on teams remember that averaged 96 wins a year from 63-65) look like the 27 Yankees.

Lip

I was just thinking that the 67 team might be a better hiting club than these guys.
Actually the 67 team batted .225 and the 2012 Sox are at .237.
A couple of differences; no DH in 67 and if there ever was a pitchers year, 67 was it.

GlassSox
05-13-2012, 09:39 PM

Amen. :wink:

slavko
05-13-2012, 11:37 PM
As you are aware when Williams job was director minor operation and player development, the minor league system was quite good. Then when he became GM, the resources were not given to the minor league system. The blame goes above Williams.

Kenny's at least partially to blame. The discussion is how much. He has to have some input. But you're right. The discussion is how much right.

Brian26
05-14-2012, 12:20 AM

He's awful. That late-inning strikeout today was on a ball that bounced five feet in front of home plate.

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Viciedo has 5 extra base hits in over 30 games.He might get to 25 or 30 RBI at this pace.He's clueless,swings at everything.Pitchers don't even have to work to get him out.Seriously, you have to learn to put a space after punctuation.

I keep thinking about hearing Blyleven last year saying about Viciedo "why would anyone throw this guy a strike? He'll swing at anything."

LOL. But seriously, Jeff Manto needs to adjust his overly aggressive approach for some of our more challenged hitters who put themselves in bad counts too often.Fire Manto.

Zakath
05-14-2012, 08:26 AM
I keep thinking about hearing Blyleven last year saying about Viciedo "why would anyone throw this guy a strike? He'll swing at anything."

Which works if your name is Vlad Guerrero. Nose-to-toes strike zone.

Seriously, one of Viciedo's big problems, and someone else noted it, is that he's too far off the plate. That can work if you're 6' 5" Alex Rios or 6' 6" Adam Dunn; it doesn't work if you're 5' 11" Dayan Viciedo. And both of those guys (especially Dunn) are almost on top of the plate. Speaking from experience, not as a baseball player, but as someone who is 5' 11", I can tell you that unless you're on the inside edge of the batter's box, you're never reaching the outside corner of the plate from where he is unless your waist is at a 45-degree angle.

When you can't reach the outside corner and you can't lay off pitches out of the zone, you end up hitting .196 with 31 K's in 102 AB's.

TomBradley72
05-14-2012, 09:01 AM
LOL. But seriously, Jeff Manto needs to adjust his overly aggressive approach for some of our more challenged hitters who put themselves in bad counts too often.

While the improvement with Dunn and Rios is noticeable, he needs to work more with the guys who are scuffling, and not give the pitcher such an advantage with early 2-strike counts.

The early stages of the "anti-MantoBall" movement?

Time to face reality- it's not the hitting coach (whoever it is)- we have a roster filled with hackers/free swingers and AAAA players- you could bring back Charlie Lau and it wouldn't make a difference.

Hey- whatta ya know- Braves/Walkerball are leading the NL in runs scored-after the Braves were 10th in the NL in 2011- Walkerball strikes again!

GoSox2K3
05-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Amen. As another poster said, it might not be all on Kenny, but this is the heart of the Sox's problems.

Kenny's shell game of building a competitive team based on scrap heap players, pre-2001 draft picks, and trading our not-so-great prospects for MLB talent is over. The Sox don't even have enough prospects to make a Quentin-type under the radar acquisition.

Next year, the next player to be thrown into sink-or-swim mode with no one in the organization to back him up if he flounders will be Tyler Flowers.

With declining ticket sales and probably no additional money for payroll next year, this team is going to be in the toilet for quite some time. They either have to hope to catch lightning in a bottle again with enough players (which seems to be KW's Plan A) or get serious about starting to develop more talent out of the farm system (including a better job at international signings).

asindc
05-14-2012, 09:20 AM

Time to face reality- it's not the hitting coach (whoever it is)- we have a roster filled with hackers/free swingers and AAAA players- you could bring back Charlie Lau and it wouldn't make a difference.

Hey- whatta ya know- Braves/Walkerball are leading the NL in runs scored-after the Braves were 10th in the NL in 2011- Walkerball strikes again!

It is always, ALWAYS, about the players. Always has been, always will be.

russ99
05-14-2012, 09:37 AM

Totally agree. A lot of these guys just love to hack at the ball. Can't point a finger at Manto for this after 6 weeks on the job.

But one of Walker's biggest failings was to stress his philosophy and not adapt for different kinds of hitters. I hope Manto doesn't make the same mistake.

Tragg
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
He's awful. That late-inning strikeout today was on a ball that bounced five feet in front of home plate.

Sometimes it's a blessing to be limited to WGN games.

Can't Dallas Green or one of those other AAAA players in Charlotte do better than that?

kellykid
05-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I agree that he is awful and said as much to my son. He then said that I only feel that way because Fukudome is an ex-cub. I don't know what he's been watching :?:

amsteel
05-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Does anyone else think Ventura is terrible at selecting PHs? Sox PHs are batting 0.056.

While yes, the Sox bench is terrible for comparison the Twins, Padres, and Cubs (the 3 worst teams in MLB) PHs are batting 0.231, 0.333, and 0.282 respectively.

I can't tell if he's not picking the right matchups, or what, but it's killing us late in games.

kellykid
05-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Does anyone else think Ventura is terrible at selecting PHs? Sox PHs are batting 0.056.

While yes, the Sox bench is terrible for comparison the Twins, Padres, and Cubs (the 3 worst teams in MLB) PHs are batting 0.231, 0.333, and 0.282 respectively.

I can't tell if he's not picking the right matchups, or what, but it's killing us late in games.

Exactly! I was scratching my head over Robins PH choices:scratch:

JB98
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I've never been a fan of Jordan Danks. In fact, I think he stinks. We only know his name because his brother pitches in the White Sox starting rotation.

That said, you have to wonder if Danks might provide more to a team than Fukudome. Right now, Fukudome is batting .167 with no home runs. Frankly, I'm not sure Danks would hit above the Mendoza line at the big-league level either, but at least he might pop an extra-base hit every now and then.

Of course, we're talking about a fourth outfielder here, so what the hell difference does that really make?

JB98
05-14-2012, 01:49 PM

For the most part, I think the White Sox bench just sucks.

KMcMahon817
05-14-2012, 02:00 PM

I agree that the hitting has been awful, but if the SOX did have minor leaguers worth pulling up, people here would just complain that they are rushing them when the SOX made a promotion. No one is ever pleased.

chisoxfanatic
05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
I agree that the hitting has been awful, but if the SOX did have minor leaguers worth pulling up, people here would just complain that they are rushing them when the SOX made a promotion. No one is ever pleased.
The Sox aren't giving us a reason to be pleased and haven't for a long time.

KMcMahon817
05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
The Sox aren't giving us a reason to be pleased and haven't for a long time.

Such is being a baseball fan. You can't win every game.

palehosepub
05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Phil Rodgers (I know I know) suggests trading Thornton to the Red Sox for Youkilis once he' off of the DL since they look to have a young 3B prospect taking over the position (Middlebrooks) and the Bosox badly need bullpen help. I know Yuke is hitting only .219 now but I would do that trade and send Morel down for "seasoning". I don't think the Red Sox would do that trade, at least not straight up for Thorton......

amsteel
05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Phil Rodgers (I know I know) suggests trading Thornton to the Red Sox for Youkilis once he' off of the DL since they look to have a young 3B prospect taking over the position (Middlebrooks) and the Bosox badly need bullpen help. I know Yuke is hitting only .219 now but I would do that trade and send Morel down for "seasoning". I don't think the Red Sox would do that trade, at least not straight up for Thorton......

You're right, I doubt that Boston would take that deal 1-for-1, but whatever other crap the Sox need to throw in to make that deal work, I'd be all for it.

TomBradley72
05-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Such is being a baseball fan. You can't win every game.

Since the middle of 2006- coming up on 6 years now- the White Sox have been a very mediocre franchise- at both the major league and minor league level.

The only saving grace in that entire time period was beating Cleveland/Detroit/Minnesota to get into the playoffs in 2008.

shingo10
05-14-2012, 05:07 PM

If this year is really supposed to be about finding out what the kids can do then he should stop freaking pinch hitting for the Tank when he comes up in a crucial situation. Let him try to develop and see what he can do in key spots.

KMcMahon817
05-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Since the middle of 2006- coming up on 6 years now- the White Sox have been a very mediocre franchise- at both the major league and minor league level.

The only saving grace in that entire time period was beating Cleveland/Detroit/Minnesota to get into the playoffs in 2008.

I am very aware of the state the organization is in.

Tragg
05-14-2012, 05:56 PM

How about trading Thornton for the young 3B prospect. Throw in some more if we have to.
Youkalis is 33 years old, makes $12 million and we'd undoubtedly buy him out after this year. Pass. What we really need is YOUNG talent. But adding prospects for temporary help for this year? Come on. That kind of trading is what got us into this mess. We ended up with a long reliever for our 2 best pitching prospects 2 years ago.

Harry Chappas
05-14-2012, 06:04 PM
If this year is really supposed to be about finding out what the kids can do then he should stop freaking pinch hitting for the Tank when he comes up in a crucial situation. Let him try to develop and see what he can do in key spots.

I know it's early, but I haven't seen much from Ventura to suggest he's going to be a great or even good manager. I think he has brought a calm to the dugout which was sorely needed with the circus of last season, but there's more to coaching than simply relating well to the players. Let's face it, it's a harder job than most of us probably think. Some otherwise really smart baseball men have fallen on their face when they've attempted managing a team and most of them had at least served as coaches beforehand.

I certainly hope the learning curve is short with him, but I'm not too comfortable giving him a "free" pass for a season much less 3-4 years or whatever Kenny intimated would be his grace period.

KMcMahon817
05-14-2012, 06:10 PM
How about trading Thornton for the young 3B prospect. Throw in some more if we have to.
Youkalis is 33 years old, makes $12 million and we'd undoubtedly buy him out after this year. Pass. What we really need is YOUNG talent. But adding prospects for temporary help for this year? Come on. That kind of trading is what got us into this mess. We ended up with a long reliever for our 2 best pitching prospects 2 years ago.

To say Holmberg was the SOX 2nd best pitching prospect is silly. Sure, he was a nice young piece, but he was not the 2nd best pitching prospect in the SOX system. He may be one of top prospects now, but that isn't saying much. He is still in A ball, and got hit pretty hard last season.

socko82
05-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Could get worse this weekend. But unless they plan on playiing Dunn in LF we could be losing one of our few productive hitters. I don't know how much worse he could than Tank out there and we desperatly need both his and Konerko's bats in the lineup.

KMcMahon817
05-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Could get worse this weekend. But unless they plan on playiing Dunn in LF we could be losing one of our few productive hitters. I don't know how much worse he could than Tank out there and we desperatly need both his and Konerko's bats in the lineup.

Robin has said that Dunn will be in LF for at least a couple games in the Cub series next weekend.

amsteel
05-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Robin has said that Dunn will be in LF for at least a couple games in the Cub series next weekend.

I am so excited to have LF seats to see that close up.

BNLSox
05-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Crazy thought, but would it be worth bringing up a third catcher so we can get Flowers and AJ in the line-up simultaenously. Hate the thought of Dunn in left, but would definitely be worth it if we could get Tyler more at bats and have an additional worthwhile bat in the line-up with regularity.

Don't bring up Tyler's numbers to date. 24 ABs is not a large enough sample size to determine anything. He's a much better hitter than Morel, Beckham, and Viciedo, but we can't play him on an AJ day without another backup.

dickallen15
05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Crazy thought, but would it be worth bringing up a third catcher so we can get Flowers and AJ in the line-up simultaenously. Hate the thought of Dunn in left, but would definitely be worth it if we could get Tyler more at bats and have an additional worthwhile bat in the line-up with regularity.

Don't bring up Tyler's numbers to date. 24 ABs is not a large enough sample size to determine anything. He's a much better hitter than Morel, Beckham, and Viciedo, but we can't play him on an AJ day without another backup.
Tyler Flowers is a career .193 hitter with 62 strikeouts in 161 AB. If the sample size is big enough for you to say he's a much better hitter than Morel, Beckham and Viciedo, I think the sample size is big enough to say I believe you are high.

Brian26
05-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I am so excited to have LF seats to see that close up.

I don't think you'll see a remarkable dropoff defensively. Viciedo is a dh playing leftfield now anyway.

DrCrawdad
05-14-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't think you'll see a remarkable dropoff defensively. Viciedo is a dh playing leftfield now anyway.

Viciedo and DH in the same sentence? Don't you have to hit to be a DH? Oh, forgot about Dunn in 2011 and the Sox comedy of DH's in 2010.

JB98
05-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Tyler Flowers is a career .193 hitter with 62 strikeouts in 161 AB. If the sample size is big enough for you to say he's a much better hitter than Morel, Beckham and Viciedo, I think the sample size is big enough to say I believe you are high.

This whole idea that Flowers will be an adequate replacement for Pierzynski when A.J. gets dealt midseason, well, I find that to be preposterous.

Flowers, if we're lucky, can be a serviceable backup. Even that might be a reach.

TDog
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM

It isn't just that it's a small sample size for Flowers. It's that it is tough to hit consistently when you play so rarely.

Tragg
05-14-2012, 08:54 PM
To say Holmberg was the SOX 2nd best pitching prospect is silly. Sure, he was a nice young piece, but he was not the 2nd best pitching prospect in the SOX system. He may be one of top prospects now, but that isn't saying much. He is still in A ball, and got hit pretty hard last season.
Who was ahead of him? Reed wasn't on the radar then.
If he wasn't #2 he was close. And he had a higher ceiling than those ahead of him (presuming Axlerod and the like were ahead of him).
Regardless, what do we have to show for all of that. A long reliever. And I should add the loss of Teahan's salary - but that was caused by another poorly conceived move.
And using tradeable pieces for another rent is not what we need. The lack of young talent on this team is appalling.

I think we should give Flowers a few starts a week. Let's see what we have. He's playing his position pretty well right now.

oldgrouch
05-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Jerry Rinsedorf has no business owning a team. He either doesn't have
the money or won't spend it and continually blames the fans for his
failures.

Brian26
05-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Jerry Rinsedorf has no business owning a team. He either doesn't have
the money or won't spend it and continually blames the fans for his
failures.

Good God. :rolleyes:

palehosepub
05-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Generally I would agree with the acquiring youth approach but the Red Sox are NOT going to trade Middlebrooks and Youkilis is expendable. The White Sox would certainly not throw in prospects because they dont have any to deal. I am assuming the White Sox would only consider this deal if they are still in contention and it would give Morel a chance to work on his hitting in the minors. Both sides would be trying to "jumpstart" players who have been disaapointing in 2012 and both teams would be reducing a surplus for an immediate need. The Red Sox would probably have to add cash or take on another salary like Ohman.

TaylorStSox
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
This whole idea that Flowers will be an adequate replacement for Pierzynski when A.J. gets dealt midseason, well, I find that to be preposterous.

Flowers, if we're lucky, can be a serviceable backup. Even that might be a reach.

I don't think Flowers will ever be as "good" a hitter as AJ, but I think he'll put up a similar OPS. What I mean is that AJ's a better situational hitter, while Flowers is more all or nothing, he'll hit for more power and walk more while K'ing a ton more. I think Flowers is a better, more athletic, defender and I prefer the way he calls a game. Flowers tends to call breaking balls far earlier in the count while AJ seems to be too fastball heavy these days.

TomBradley72
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM

I'm probably in the minority- but I don't like this move at all.

Viciedo is a work in progress in LF- but he's made several catches and throws that Dunn could never pull off in a million years and I'd be concerned about risk of injury to Dunn.

Once you're in the bullpen- Dunn is typically going to face lefties- and he's hitting .108 in that split.