PDA

View Full Version : Closer by commitee again

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
What do the Sox not like about Addison Reed?
Another scratching our heads move.
What the hell is going on. Are we going to put Santiago and Thornton out there in the 9th to blow more games.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/9777/ventura-will-go-back-to-closer-by-committee

Zakath
05-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Other than his name (sounds like what you'd call the butler), I can't figure it out either.

Lefties are hitting .200 off of him, righties .100 with a WHIP of 0.80. Compare that to Santiago, where righties are hitting .259 and lefties are hitting .385, with a WHIP of 1.83.

thomas35forever
05-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Coop must see something that we don't and they're not disclosing. Can't really think of any other reason.

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Coop must see something that we don't and they're not disclosing. Can't really think of any other reason.

Is there an MRI scheduled?

Tragg
05-12-2012, 01:59 PM

He's more valuable getting us out of jams than he is pitching to 3 batters in the 9th with no one on.
Thornton is also useful at getting out of jams (he tends to create his own at times, which is not good in the 9th).

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2012, 02:01 PM
He's more valuable getting us out of jams than he is pitching to 3 batters in the 9th with no one on.
Thornton is also useful at getting out of jams (he tends to create his own at times, which is not good in the 9th).

So who is your closer?

tstrike2000
05-12-2012, 02:11 PM
So who is your closer?

We might get clearer picture if we can get a healthy Jesse Crain back. Hopefully, Reed's the answer, but your guess is as good as everyone elses.

Noneck
05-12-2012, 02:23 PM
We might get clearer picture if we can get a healthy Jesse Crain back.

This makes sense until Crain comes back. If Reed closes then there is no righty set up guy now.

KMcMahon817
05-12-2012, 02:31 PM
I am pretty sure Reed is going to be the main guy. But why come out and and say "Reed is our guy" when you can go with matchups. Then all you guys will freak out if Robin used Thornton in the 9th. I can already see it...oh my god! this organization has no direction!

I don't see any problem with this. Reed is going to be the SOX closer for several years; no need to annoint him at this second. Keep the situation fluid for now. He is going to have his struggles at some point.

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Until Crain comes back I would go with Jones as my right hand set up guy, Thornton as the left hand set up guy and Reed as the closer.

Tragg
05-12-2012, 02:54 PM
So who is your closer?

Whoever's available.

Santiago's okay if he keeps the ball down. Crain could probably do it. Both will be fine most nights. Sometimes runs will score. It happens in the 9th just like any other inning. It just stings more sharply in the 9th and people act like the pitcher "blew up" if he gives up a run or two.

If the opponent has runners on base in the 7th or 8th, that's a better use of Reed, imo, than putting him in with no runners on in the 9th. And it's not like we have another right handed arm we can put in a tough spot when we need a K.

kufram
05-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Why have the guy you think is your best reliever used only in specific situations, only when you have a small lead in the ninth? I'm sure Reed will close but I'm happy to not define him as that as yet.

There is no rule that you have to name a closer.

DumpJerry
05-12-2012, 03:54 PM
White Sox management gets sadistic pleasure reading WSI. Every morning the 8:00 meeting is "how do we get WSIers all uppity today?"

Zakath
05-12-2012, 05:42 PM
This makes sense until Crain comes back. If Reed closes then there is no righty set up guy now.

Did we send Nate Jones to the minors and I missed it?

DumpJerry
05-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Did we send Nate Jones to the minors and I missed it?
No. He's in the game right now.

LoveYourSuit
05-12-2012, 08:44 PM

Coop might need glasses.

LITTLE NELL
05-13-2012, 06:33 AM
If we keep playing like last night, there won't be any need for a closer.

russ99
05-13-2012, 06:47 AM
This is my only gripe against Robin so far: relievers perform best when they're given set roles and the Sox don't seem to have any.

Keep rotating guys around all year like this, and they may burn out by August- 2007 style.

SI1020
05-13-2012, 07:27 AM
This is my only gripe against Robin so far: relievers perform best when they're given set roles and the Sox don't seem to have any.

Keep rotating guys around all year like this, and they may burn out by August- 2007 style. I agree that they do seem to need an assigned role, but at the same time I wish that were not the case. It puts managers in a straight jacket strategy wise. Teams have to carry at least 11, and it seems usually 12 pitchers, which further restricts managerial moves. The change seems permanent and I thank Tony LaRussa for that.

hawkjt
05-13-2012, 09:50 AM
With a bullpen comprised of one vet,Thornton, an injured vet in Crain,a marginal loogey in Ohman, and rookies in Stewart,Santiago,Jones,Reed...it is not a setup for early stability..

Robin needs to figure out who can do what in real games. I am fine with going by matchups as long as the moves make sense game to game.

When Crain comes back,maybe it settles down. He is the best reliever we have on this team,and his absence has cost the Sox dearly. Thornton has not picked up the slack in his absence,either,so it has been a clusterflock,and Robin/Coop have made the best of a bad situation.