PDA

View Full Version : 6-year-old turns unassisted triple play

thomas35forever
05-11-2012, 02:19 AM
7FRw5mrWf4c

ilsox7
05-11-2012, 02:28 AM
I don't really think the kid turning a triple play is a big deal. However, I was surprised to see 6 year olds being pitched to. Thought that was still t-ball age.

RKMeibalane
05-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Terrible baserunning.

DonnieDarko
05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
But did he hit a grand slam?

(+10,000 Internets to whoever knows that and where it's from)

SoxandtheCityTee
05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Terrible baserunning.

Very tough to stop those little kid baserunners from going when the ball is hit in the air. I saw a double play made by a 6-year old first baseman who caught the fly and then ran over to step on first (as a dozen adults yelled, Step on first!). The runner who was doubled up just didn't understand and burst into tears.

/cue Tom Hanks line/

Madvora
05-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Those must have been Magglio Ordonez's kids.

Blame this one on the third base coach. He does nothing after the pop up and lets the kid head for home, then realizes he needs to send the other runner back to second.

doublem23
05-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Very tough to stop those little kid baserunners from going when the ball is hit in the air. I saw a double play made by a 6-year old first baseman who caught the fly and then ran over to step on first (as a dozen adults yelled, Step on first!). The runner who was doubled up just didn't understand and burst into tears.

/cue Tom Hanks line/

Yep, similarly, my little cousin is about 10 years old and he plays Pee Wee hockey and the concept of "Off Sides" absolutely escapes these kids. Everytime someone brings the puck up the ice, the coaches have to scream at their players not to cross the blue line before the puck and even then, the success rate is maybe 33%.

PatK
05-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Not seen in that video was that the first baseman was making a castle with the infield dirt

Chez
05-11-2012, 04:13 PM
It starts with an organizational philosophy. This organization clearly doesn't stress sound fundamental base-running. They probably also regularly miss cut-off men. And they didn't look very grindy either.

thomas35forever
05-11-2012, 04:33 PM
It starts with an organizational philosophy. This organization clearly doesn't stress sound fundamental base-running. They probably also regularly miss cut-off men. And they didn't look very grindy either.
Are their first-round picks regular busts as well?

ChiSoxGal85
05-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't really think the kid turning a triple play is a big deal. However, I was surprised to see 6 year olds being pitched to. Thought that was still t-ball age.
Seriously! It was probably coach-pitch, but 6 years old? Yikes.

I remember those days. My son started with T-ball at age 5 or 6, and there were only a couple of kids who were really into playing the game. The rest just did whatever the adults told them to, or practiced their sky-gazing or weed-pulling, or tried to run from 1st to 3rd via the pitchers mound. Completely adorable, and fun. :D:

DSpivack
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Seriously! It was probably coach-pitch, but 6 years old? Yikes.

I remember those days. My son started with T-ball at age 5 or 6, and there were only a couple of kids who were really into playing the game. The rest just did whatever the adults told them to, or practiced their sky-gazing or weed-pulling, or tried to run from 1st to 3rd via the pitchers mound. Completely adorable, and fun. :D:

I was out in right field, falling asleep.

vinny
05-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Really, the amazing thing is that the kid made the catch. In our T-ball league, there is no infield fly rule, so this kind of thing I think would happen more than you expect.

On the coach pitch, I know some leagues start with the tee and move to coach pitch later or let the kids swing at coach pitch for the first two strikes and then they put it on the tee.

First game of the season for my t-ball team is tomorrow. I predict the final score will be 24-23.

ChiSoxGal85
05-11-2012, 08:15 PM
First game of the season for my t-ball team is tomorrow. I predict the final score will be 24-23.
Good luck! The final score for all my son's t-ball games was: "It was a tie." :D:

thomas35forever
05-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Good luck! The final score for all my son's t-ball games was: "It was a tie." :D:

My first year playing, we were pitched to for the first three innings (though the coach would take over after four balls) and then swung off the tee for the next three. I still remember after my first game right before my first handshake line, my coach said "you're all winners." That's when I realized the league didn't keep score.

vinny
05-13-2012, 06:51 AM
After 3 innings, everybody (coaches, parents, and players) decided it was enough. 18-18 tie. :thumbsup:

#1swisher
05-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Really, the amazing thing is that the kid made the catch. In our T-ball league, there is no infield fly rule, so this kind of thing I think would happen more than you expect.

On the coach pitch, I know some leagues start with the tee and move to coach pitch later or let the kids swing at coach pitch for the first two strikes and then they put it on the tee.

Good Luck :cool:

downstairs
05-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Same here. I remember joining the little league level where you got pitched to at about 10 years old?

downstairs
05-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Yeah I remember that too. I also remember we thought that was crap and made sure we kept the real score so we could gloat about actually winning.

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Yeah I remember that too. I also remember we thought that was crap and made sure we kept the real score so we could gloat about actually winning.Yeah, you can't fool kids with that "everybody's a winner" nonsense. They know better, and they'll keep score in their heads. They know who won.

SephClone89
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
But did he hit a grand slam?

(+10,000 Internets to whoever knows that and where it's from)

Pujols. Where did that originate? I know it from GameFAQs.