PDA

View Full Version : 1st and 3rd Move

beasly213
05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/baseball-poised-to-pick-off-first-and-third-trick-move-051012/

Interesting little read. Do you think they should ban this move? To me it seems like pitchers use it if they're not comfortable with their pitch selection.

It is annoying to hear the crowd yell "BALK!" It seems like most people don't know what a balk is...

Although I remember Burehle picking off Mark Grace with that move at the Cell a few years ago.

LITTLE NELL
05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I will be more than happy never to see that move again.

Max Power
05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
The only time I've ever seen the move work was when Grace was picked off. A huge play in that game, by the way. It wasn't Buehrle, was it? I remember a righty on the mound, probably a reliever.

I just assume whenever a pitcher uses that move it's because he and the catcher want more time to think about the next pitch.

DSpivack
05-10-2012, 02:18 PM
The only time I've ever seen the move work was when Grace was picked off. A huge play in that game, by the way. It wasn't Buehrle, was it? I remember a righty on the mound, probably a reliever.

I just assume whenever a pitcher uses that move it's because he and the catcher want more time to think about the next pitch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/baseball-poised-to-pick-off-first-and-third-trick-move-051012/

Interesting little read. Do you think they should ban this move? To me it seems like pitchers use it if they're not comfortable with their pitch selection.

It is annoying to hear the crowd yell "BALK!" It seems like most people don't know what a balk is...

Although I remember Burehle picking off Mark Grace with that move at the Cell a few years ago.

I thought it was Sean Lowe, and in the 8th inning. The only Sox-Cubs game I have ever been to.

beasly213
05-10-2012, 02:27 PM

You're right it wasn't Buehrle... I can't recall exaclty who it was. Hmmm.

doublem23
05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Thank the good Lord baby Jesus

hawkjt
05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I thought it was Sean Lowe, and in the 8th inning. The only Sox-Cubs game I have ever been to.

Yes, I believe it was Lowe. It was very amusing.

DumpJerry
05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
According to Boone Logan, a lefty can't do it. He ought to know, he plays for the Yankees now.

eriqjaffe
05-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I seem to remember Jack McDowell using that move a lot back in the day.

sox1970
05-10-2012, 03:15 PM

And it worked a lot.

soxfanatlanta
05-10-2012, 03:47 PM

He was quite good at it.

vinny
05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Wasn't it recently used successfully on us? I want to say Rios got caught off 1st against the Orioles with another runner on 3rd.

Paulwny
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Wasn't it recently used successfully on us? I want to say Rios got caught off 1st against the Orioles with another runner on 3rd.

You're correct.

Moses_Scurry
05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
What is the rationale behind the fact that you are allowed to fake a pickoff throw to 2nd or 3rd, but not 1st? Shouldn't it be legal or illegal regardless of the base?

The pickoff move doesn't bother me. If a pitcher has perfected the move like Jack McDowell then it is a part of what makes that pitcher successful and shouldn't be quashed if it is within the rules. Additionally, other teams should have known that McDowell was very good at that move. They should have been ready for it.

I loved watching McDowell do the move when I was young. I remember that he did it in the all-star game and came very close to picking the guy off first.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Black Jack was the master at it.

Lip

TDog
05-10-2012, 10:24 PM
What is the rationale behind the fact that you are allowed to fake a pickoff throw to 2nd or 3rd, but not 1st? Shouldn't it be legal or illegal regardless of the base?

The pickoff move doesn't bother me. If a pitcher has perfected the move like Jack McDowell then it is a part of what makes that pitcher successful and shouldn't be quashed if it is within the rules. Additionally, other teams should have known that McDowell was very good at that move. They should have been ready for it.

I loved watching McDowell do the move when I was young. I remember that he did it in the all-star game and came very close to picking the guy off first.

When I first saw the move in the 1970s (I seem to remember it was a Royals thing, Steve Busby I think), the pitcher had to step off the rubber before faking a throw to third. Of course, a pitcher has to step off to throw to second. A pitcher is allowed to fake to first if not on the rubber, but you generally on the fake to third, turn and fake to first.

One spring many years ago, baseball put lines extending, at an angle I've forgotten, from the edges of the pitcher's plate, as the rubber is technically known. A lefty throwing to first had to cross the line on a throw to first and a righty had to cross the line throwing to third, making many balks clearer to everyone. The problem was, it was prejudicial against lefties because pickoff attempts at third are actually quite rare.

I don't know when umpires started allowing pitchers to fake to third without stepping off the rubber.

Nellie_Fox
05-11-2012, 12:24 AM
The only time I've ever seen the move work was when Grace was picked off.

And it worked a lot.Yep, McDowell picked quite a few guys off of first with that move. It was because he faked to third and then pivoted firing to first. Most guys turn and look at first, and by then it's too late. McDowell was committed to the move.