PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-9 Crooked numbers scalp Tribe; SOX 8 CLE 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Nice to win a laugher once in a while...

Lip Man 1
05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Nice to get the split after what happened Monday.

Now can they please win some home games?

Lip

SoxSpeed22
05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Good comeback after losing those first two. Let's build some momentum against KC.

Zakath
05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Big crooked numbers always help, especially when you've got Jake on the mound.

Another quality start. 11 ER in 52 1/3 innings so far this year. 35 H, 7 BB and 45 K's. ERA sits at 1.89, WHIP at 0.80.

He's been all you can ask for and more so far this year.

voodoochile
05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Nice to win a laugher once in a while...

A what??!??!?!? :tongue:

Very nice job. Great team effort and a heck of a way to finish a series that started so horribly. Split in Cleveland works for me. This team is still finding it's identity. I think it's going to get stronger as the season progresses. The question is can it become strong enough?

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

ElevenUp
05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Nice to see Jake dealing. Also nice to win a laugher. Hope this builds some momentum for the home stand.

Golden Sox
05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I was never worried about the Tank until tonights game. In the 2nd inning he came up with a man on first and had a 2-0 count. He took a fastball right down Broadway, a pitch he should of crushed. He then swung at the next pitch which wasn't as good as the previous pitch and grounded into a double play. It was mentioned earlier on this site that the Tank has hit lefties well this year. Maybe so, but it looks to me that he has no clue against righties.

tstrike2000
05-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Nice win, Cleveland sucks.

TaylorStSox
05-09-2012, 10:04 PM
If Peavy keeps pitching really well, I'll find it hard to believe he doesn't have some significant value. Keep it up Jake, we need prospects.

Zakath
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I was never worried about the Tank until tonights game. In the 2nd inning he came up with a man on first and had a 2-0 count. He took a fastball right down Broadway, a pitch he should of crushed. He then swung at the next pitch which wasn't as good as the previous pitch and grounded into a double play. It was mentioned earlier on this site that the Tank has hit lefties well this year. Maybe so, but it looks to me that he has no clue against righties.

Numbers bear it out.

vs. RH: 13-72, 2 2B, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 3 BB, 24 K, .181 AVG
vs. LH: 6-21, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 4 K, .286 AVG.

Crooked Number
05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Always good to see my name in a post gamer - that can only mean good things!

Jake stays healthy he is heading to the all star game. Could the Sox send 3 guys this year? Pauly, Jake...and Dunn?

TDog
05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
A what??!??!?!? :tongue:

Very nice job. Great team effort and a heck of a way to finish a series that started so horribly. Split in Cleveland works for me. This team is still finding it's identity. I think it's going to get stronger as the season progresses. The question is can it become strong enough?

This is exactly what I was thinking. The White Sox seem to have a very good starting rotation, although they have had a few rough starts lately. The bullpen that looked so dominant early has struggled in the last couple of weeks, but Reed's two saves on this road trip were impressive enough to give me hope that things may be settling down.

A great reason for optimism is the fact that Peavy, Rios and Dunn, the three highest-paid disappointments from last year's high-expectation team, all may be among the leading contenders for Comeback Player of the Year.

I think the White Sox can contend with the rest of the division when you look at the inconsistencies of the Tigers and Indians.

In tonight's game, I couldn't believe Gomez was still pitching in the seventh after giving up eight runs though four -- not that the decision to leave Gomez in affected the outcome, but it seems odd to be that protective of your bullpen innings.

At the risk of repeating myself, I really like how Peavy is pitching this year.

LoveYourSuit
05-10-2012, 12:16 AM

Jake stays healthy he is heading to the all star game. Could the Sox send 3 guys this year? Pauly, Jake...and Dunn?

Reed?

sullythered
05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Reed?

Only if he becomes the full time closer, and the Sox are leading the division when the picks get made. He's got the goods, but I doubt they take three Sox unless we are winning big.

SoxSpeed22
05-10-2012, 12:27 AM
This is exactly what I was thinking. The White Sox seem to have a very good starting rotation, although they have had a few rough starts lately. The bullpen that looked so dominant early has struggled in the last couple of weeks, but Reed's two saves on this road trip were impressive enough to give me hope that things may be settling down.

A great reason for optimism is the fact that Peavy, Rios and Dunn, the three highest-paid disappointments from last year's high-expectation team, all may be among the leading contenders for Comeback Player of the Year.

I think the White Sox can contend with the rest of the division when you look at the inconsistencies of the Tigers and Indians.

In tonight's game, I couldn't believe Gomez was still pitching in the seventh after giving up eight runs though four -- not that the decision to leave Gomez in affected the outcome, but it seems odd to be that protective of your bullpen innings.

At the risk of repeating myself, I really like how Peavy is pitching this year.The Tribe are in the middle of a stretch where they play 22 games in 21 days, they don't have an off day until the 21st, so I guess they needed all the rest they can get.
I am encouraged that Beckham is now driving the ball and hitting to all fields, something we never saw last year. Ramirez was hitting the ball hard today too, hopefully he picks it up. Viciedo is still overswinging, but at least his defense hasn't been as bad as feared.

TDog
05-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Reed?

Those two saves in two opportunities are impressive when you consider how many blown saves there have been in the American League this season.

Foulke You
05-10-2012, 12:37 AM

Even during banner years, the Sox always get hosed for all star selections for a myriad of reasons. All three players you mention are deserving (so far) but only one will likely make it. They'll take Jake and then Paulie or Dunn will be on the 32nd man vote. Peavy or Dunn getting to the midsummer classic again would make a great story This is especially true for Dunn. He had 11HRs all last season and just blasted his 10th on May 9th.

hawkjt
05-10-2012, 12:42 AM
That was a beautiful Sox game experience. For once,they bunched hits together and squeezed 6 runs from 5 hits and two walks,without a homer in that 4th inning.

Oh,and Dunns homer was pretty also....Adam Bomb!

As for Tank, yes he took a pitch right down the middle when he was up in the count 2-0,then swings at a marginal one on the next pitch and hits into that dp. I think that is half the battle for these young hitters...swinging at the right pitches.

Nice to see Eduardo get his first RBI.
Jake was great,once again,ho hum. His fastball seems to crackle at 91mph, cannot imagine how he must have been with a 97mph in the past.
I presume he will make his next start at Soxpark vs Detroit on Tuesday...with Danks going on Monday vs the Tigers...chance to make up some ground. Verlander is going on Sunday vs the A's....nice. And good to see the M's continue to give the Tigers a hard time by taking tonites game for 2 of 3 this week. Sox are only down a game to the Tigers,and 3 to the Tribe...get to .500,and hang around,Sox!

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Viciedo is still overswinging, but at least his defense hasn't been as bad as feared.Really? I'm still frightened every time a ball gets hit his way.

RCWHITESOX
05-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I just hope the Sox don't move Dunn and Peavy during the trading period and tear up the team. I just have a feeling the Sox will cry poor and will be in a rebuilding period for the next 5 years. I sure hope I am wrong because I see a lot of positives with De Aza, Jones, Reed, Santiago; and the improvement in Dunn, Peavy, and Rios. Hopefully Beckham continues to improve and they can resolve 3B.

cards press box
05-10-2012, 01:25 AM
:winner

palehozenychicty
05-10-2012, 02:33 AM
The Sox recovered in this series, and I like that. They are playing hard, and that is cool with me.

LITTLE NELL
05-10-2012, 05:17 AM
I just hope the Sox don't move Dunn and Peavy during the trading period and tear up the team. I just have a feeling the Sox will cry poor and will be in a rebuilding period for the next 5 years. I sure hope I am wrong because I see allot of positeves with De Aza, Jones, Reed, Santiago; and the improvement in Dunn, Peavy, and Rios. Hopefully Beckham continues to improve and they can resolve 3B.

If the Sox are contending at the trade deadline I don't think they will move them. If they do it will be ''White Flag Part II'' and it would be another blunder in a long list of blunders by this franchise.

doublem23
05-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Fun fact, the Sox are the only team in the AL Central with a positive run differential as of today this season.

Oh you, baseball. You make no sense sometimes.

Zakath
05-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Those two saves in two opportunities are impressive when you consider how many blown saves there have been in the American League this season.

Or how many blown saves there have been for the White Sox this season.

DonnieDarko
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM

...who also happen to play in the American League. :tongue:

JB98
05-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Fun fact, the Sox are the only team in the AL Central with a positive run differential as of today this season.

Oh you, baseball. You make no sense sometimes.

Yeah, Sox are 4-11 in games decided by two runs or less. 11-6 in games decided by three runs or more. That accounts for the positive run differential despite the losing record.

asindc
05-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Sox are 4-11 in games decided by two runs or less. 11-6 in games decided by three runs or more. That accounts for the positive run differential despite the losing record.

Can you say Hector Santiago?

Foulke You
05-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Really? I'm still frightened every time a ball gets hit his way.
You aren't alone with your fright. I get the same feeling I used to get when a ball was hit towards Carlos Lee. Viciedo looks better in LF than he did in Spring Training but that isn't saying much. Overall though, LF is pretty much the only spot on the diamond where the Sox are weak defensively.

DSpivack
05-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Can you say Hector Santiago?

2 of those 11 are on Santiago.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=santihe01&t=p&year=2012

TDog
05-10-2012, 04:17 PM

The Tigers have blown at least as many last-inning leads as the White Sox this season. And they have had at least as many scary converted saves as the White Sox. The only game the Tigers won in Seattle this week (the night after the Mariners scored 3 in the ninth to erase a 2-0 Tiger lead) the Mariners had the winning run on base in the ninth.