PDA

View Full Version : 1972 White Sox - "Where are they Now...?"

Lip Man 1
05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
As part of the upcoming Dick Allen / 1972 White Sox tribute. I've been asked to gather information and do a story on that team and what has happened with their lives since that season, 40 years ago.

Bob Grim and the White Sox Alumni Association helped tremendously and here is what I've come up with.

I've posted this for two reasons. One, because fans of that team may be interested in reading what has gone on with their lives and two, because some readers may have some information on the players I am missing.

If you do and can provide some documentation to back it up, I'd appreciate you responding to me either at my e-mail or in this thread.

Thanks!

Lip

-------------------------------------------

*Cy Acosta (P) -Lives somewhere in Mexico.

*Dick Allen (IN) - Lives in Pennsylvania. Retired. Spent many seasons working in various major league organizations as an instructor, including the Texas Rangers.

*Luis Alvarado (IN) - Deceased March 20, 2001.

*Mike Andrews (IN) - Lives in the Boston, Massachusetts area. Retired. Was the executive director for many years of "The Jimmy Fund," the official charity of the Boston Red Sox.

*Stan Bahnsen (P) - Lives in the Pompano Beach, Florida area. Works for a cruise line getting former major league players to participate and interact with cruise patrons.

*Tom Bradley (P) - Lives in University Park, Maryland. Was pitching coach for Charleston Alley Cats (Toronto). Spent many years as the head baseball coach for the University of Maryland.

*Tom Egan (C) - Lives in Tempe, Arizona. VP of Sales and Marketing for a trucking company. Caught Nolan Ryan’s 4th no-hitter.

*Terry Forster (P) - Lives somewhere in Canada.

*Rich "Goose" Gossage (P) - Lives in the Colorado Springs, Colorado area. Retired. Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2008. Played 22 seasons in the major leagues.

*Ed Herrmann (C) - Lives in the Poway, California area. Retired. Worked as a scout for the Kansas City Royals. Coaches one of the top amateur / youth teams in the country.

*Bart Johnson (P) - Lives in the Oak Lawn, Illinois area. Retired. Worked as a scout for many years including for the White Sox and Nationals.

*Jay Johnstone (OF) - Lives in Pasadena, California. Played 19 years in baseball. Owns four World Series rings. Two with Yankees (’77 & ’78) two with Dodgers (’81 & ’88).

*Steve Kealey (P) - Last known address in South Carolina.

*Pat Kelly (OF) - Deceased October 2, 2005.

*Carlos May (OF) - Lives in the Chicago, Illinois area. Retired. Worked for many years for the U.S. Postal Service. Works for the White Sox as a Community Relations Representative.

*Bill Melton (IN) - Lives in both the Chicago, Illinois and Southern California areas. Works for Comcast Sports Chicago as part of the White Sox television pre and post game coverage. Also works for the White Sox as a Community Relations Representative.

*Rich Morales (IN) - Lives in Pacifica, California.

*Tony Muser (IN) - Lives in Los Alamitos, California. Managed the Kansas City Royals from July 1997 to late April 2002.

*Jorge Orta (IN) - Lives in Flossmoor, Illinois. Member of the 1985 World Champion Kansas City Royals.

*Rick Reichardt (OF) - Lives in Gainsville, Florida. Works as a financial planner.

*Vincente Romo (P) - Lives in Mexico.

*Ed Spiezio (IN) - Lives in Morris, Illinois. Father of former major league player Scott Spiezio.

*Walt Williams (OF) - Lives in the Brownsville, Texas area. Director of a youth / recreational center.

*Wilbur Wood (P) - Lives in the Bedford, Massachusetts area. Retired. Worked for many years as a pharmacutical sales representative.

*Chuck Tanner (Manager) - Deceased February 11, 2011.

*Johnny Sain (Pitching Coach) - Deceased November 7, 2006.

*Joe Lonnett (3rd Base Coach) – Deceased December 5, 2011

*Roland Hemond (Director of Player Personnel) - Lives in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Works as a special assistant to the G.M. for the Arizona Diamondbacks.

*Stu Holcomb (General Manager) - Deceased January 11, 1977.

downstairs
05-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Deleting this comment. Sorry, my answer is in the original post.

DumpJerry
05-09-2012, 06:03 PM
*Stan Bahnsen (P) - Lives in the Pompano Beach, Florida area. Works for a cruise line getting former major league players to participate and interact with cruise patrons.

*Terry Forster (P) - Lives somewhere in Canada.
Ok, how challenging is Bahnsen's job? "Hey, Scott Fletcher, wanna hang out with a bunch of young ladies on a cruise ship?" How can you say no?

I love the Forster entry. Sounds like he's on the hiding from The Man.......

KingXerxes
05-09-2012, 06:11 PM
No Bob Waller? :D:

Thanks Lip.

LATER EDIT - My mistake. I just looked it up, and Waller hit the scene in 1973.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Dump:

That's good. When I talked with Stan he's been doing this for the past seven or eight years. He enjoys it. He tried to get different players from all the organizations so that people who go on these cruises can relate to someone from their favorite team.

He said he alwas tries to have Sox players on the trips. Gary Peters, Jeff Torborg and himself are some that have participated in the past.

Terry must be pulling a Wolverine.

Lip

kba
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
No Bob Waller? :D:

Thanks Lip.

LATER EDIT - My mistake. I just looked it up, and Waller hit the scene in 1973.

If you're really interested in the 1972 broadcasters, Ralph Faucher -- Harry's radio sidekick and the longtime owner of WTAQ -- is living in Eagle River, Wisconsin and as of a couple years ago was still doing some part-time work at WERL-AM. Bud Kelly -- who worked with the late Jack Drees on TV -- recently retired from KLIV in San Jose.

RKMeibalane
05-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Didn't Steph puke on Chuck Tanner? :cool:

Lip Man 1
05-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Who?

Regarding the broadcasters I knew that about Ralph but I could never find anything for Bud Kelly. Thanks!

Lip

Golden Sox
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Are any of the 1972 White Sox going to be at the Dick Allen tribute in June? If so, Who will be there?

Lip Man 1
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
As of right now here is what I know for certain:

Dick Allen
Hank Allen
Roland Hemond
Bill Melton
Carlos May
Tom Bradley
Goose Gossage

Wilbur Wood is rumoured to be coming (but that's not confirmed). Jay Johnstone and Stan Bahnsen have expressed interest. Also Bart Johnson, Ed Spiezio and Jorge Orta all live in the Chicago area so I'd expect them to be there as well.

Other former White Sox players that I've been told are being invited include (but not limited to) Billy Pierce, Donn Pall and Greg Pryor.

Other former Sox players who live in the Chicago area include Eric Soderholm, Ron Kittle and Al Weis.

Lip

Dick Allen
05-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Didn't know Alvarado was deceased.

What's Buddy Bradford up to these days?

Lip Man 1
05-10-2012, 08:12 PM
All I know is that he lives in Los Angeles.

Lip

fisk4ever
05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Nancy Faust is retired and living somewhere...

Lip Man 1
05-11-2012, 12:06 PM
On her farm outside of Chicago. And I understand that Nancy will be part of the festivites although I don't know specifics as far as what days and what she'll be doing.

Lip

Bucky F. Dent
05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Those are some great old names. Thanks for the memories.

Why did I think that Cy Acosta was deceased.:scratch:

Didn't Bradford suffer a serious injury when he ran headlong into the left/center wall at Comiskey.....or is the a fully fabricated memory that I have rolling around in my head.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Not that I know of. I remember Lemon crashing head first into the screen in left center protecting the picnic area, the weekend of that four game sweep of the Twins in early July 1977 but he was OK.

Lip

DickAllen72
05-11-2012, 05:40 PM
On her farm outside of Chicago. And I understand that Nancy will be part of the festivites although I don't know specifics as far as what days and what she'll be doing.

Lip
I hope she'll be at the organ playing "Superstar!" :thumbsup:

BainesHOF
05-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Didn't Bradford suffer a serious injury when he ran headlong into the left/center wall at Comiskey.....or is the a fully fabricated memory that I have rolling around in my head.

Bradford suffered a broken collarbone.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Baines:

When was that, do you know the game or year?

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Dick:

Well played...I remember that well.

Lip