PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-8 A Rios Runs Through It; SOX 5 CLE 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2012, 09:12 PM
And when they were insolent, they were beaten with Reed's...

GlassSox
05-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Good to see a late inning win.

SoxSpeed22
05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
No burlap sack?
It stinks to blow a 3 run lead, but we got the win. Rios is already miles ahead of where he was last year.

thomas35forever
05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I will gladly eat crow for this. Seriously, how did they do that?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-08-2012, 09:17 PM

You mean the Sox won?

:DJ

"Great googily-woo."

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
No burlap sack?

That's For Sale

ChiSoxGal85
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I fully expected Santiago to give up the game-winning HR. It was sweet for Rios to get the game-winning hit after that little altercation with Perez last time at the Cell. Bet he enjoyed that. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Can someone explain the deal between Rios and Perez?

chisoxfanatic
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
I honestly do not recognize THIS Alex Rios.

ChiSoxGal85
05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Can someone explain the deal between Rios and Perez?
This article by Scott Merkin explains it pretty well. (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120503&content_id=30348232&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

Brian26
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM

That's so far over my head that I'm going to need a 500-level ticket to figure it out. :D:

TDog
05-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Nice Austin Powers reference.

Apparently, Sale isn't the new closer after all. It appears Reed has emerged with the job.

Maybe this will bookend the previous game where the White Sox scored two in extras on the road and lost, a game preceded a poor homestand followed by a losing roadtrip.

This is the second last-inning game-winning extra-base hit Rios has had this year to break ties on the road. He has Lillibridge to thank for the triple, though. I wonder if Konerko would even have tried to score.

A nice win in what could have been a heartbreaking loss. The second time on this trip that could be said, the heartbreaking losses not being short in supply.

Foulke You
05-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I fully expected Santiago to give up the game-winning HR. It was sweet for Rios to get the game-winning hit after that little altercation with Perez last time at the Cell. Bet he enjoyed that. :D:

I'm so glad that he got his revenge on Perez. You could tell Rios was extra fired up because he rarely shows emotion and he gave some fist pumps after the triple and after he slid safely into home. I like angry Rios. :D:

Tragg
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Was that Sale B4 a strike?

tstrike2000
05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Rios with another clutch hit and playing with a little fire. Good to see.

Chez
05-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Glad they came back and that Rios got some revenge. I miss the Chris Sale who used to come out of the bullpen throwing 99 mph. Hope to see him soon.

And Brent Morel? Right now, he's the worst everyday player in MLB. That's my nickname for him -- "The Worst." Not sure why I expected him to be servicable this season. He lost his job to Omar frickin' Vizquel [!] last season. Had a strong September against minor league call-ups, but he has no chance at the plate right now. None. He is Brandon Inge without the occasional power and bad forearm tatoos. I hope he turns it around, but it's hard to watch.

shingo10
05-08-2012, 09:53 PM
This team seems to care which is good. They were pretty fired up in the dugout after Rios's hit.

Somehow there needs to be a flow to the offense. It's just too spotty and I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it.

Morel is just existing over at third, it's too bad there is no help we can bring up.

It is of critical importance to not fall too far below .500 like in previous years where the rest of the season becomes an uphill climb. Get the split tomorrow and then come home and start winning some series in Chicago.

delben91
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Why is Ventura still employed?!?!?!?!?!?

Crooked Number
05-08-2012, 10:10 PM
This has been a very turbulent last few weeks (following suit since 2nd half of '06) but we should be used to this, this is how the Sox have started seasons for a while now.

Good to get a win. The last few years, it seems like I always find myself thinking "if only a break went our way / one mistake away from a win". These Sox teams really know how to blow some games and play themselves out of contention.

We have also seen a streak of their best 30 games in 50 years a few seasons ago, so with baseball, you have to keep an open mind and a level head.

A couple of real issues I see, what to do with Morel and now Sale. Reed has the stuff and the demeanor of a closer. He was 0-2 on every hitter and hitting 98. That's what you want.

Zakath
05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
No one mentioned it, but a decent outing from Danks. Not anywhere near as many K's as he usually gets, and helped out a lot by the defense (nice unassisted DP by Paulie in the bottom of the 7th), but possibly his best outing of the season.

Alex had cooled off some starting with the Boston series. The triple in the 10th was his first extra-base hit in 13 games. But what a time to get it.

Peavy needs to continue his so-far stellar 2012 tomorrow. A winning streak (something the Sox haven't had since May 1st) is much overdue.

Tragg
05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
What is it about Reed that we have never used him as a starter and no one has ever considered it?

I'm still not convinced that Reed and his great stuff wouldn't be better served to reconcile a situation, say, like the jam in this evening's 8th.

Golden Sox
05-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Last year Adam Dunn had a bad year of historic proportions. Morels offensive numbers are absolutely appalling so far this year. If this continues he might have a season that is actually worse than what Dunn did last year. I'm just wondering how much longer its going to be before they make a change at 3rd base.

amsteel
05-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I had to go to a graduation party starting at the top of the 8th so I missed the fun. What was the deal with Sale?

Noneck
05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Last year Adam Dunn had a bad year of historic proportions. Morels offensive numbers are absolutely appalling so far this year. If this continues he might have a season that is actually worse than what Dunn did last year. I'm just wondering how much longer its going to be before they make a change at 3rd base.

The difference is the Sox have options on Morel, they didnt on Dunn. And of course a huge difference in investment.

TDog
05-08-2012, 10:50 PM
What is it about Reed that we have never used him as a starter and no one has ever considered it?

I'm still not convinced that Reed and his great stuff wouldn't be better served to reconcile a situation, say, like the jam in this evening's 8th.

Reed closed at San Diego state when Strasburg was in the rotation and moved into the rotation when Strasburg left. Apparently, he developed a changeup to use as a starter. Shortly after he was was signed by the White Sox, he started a couple of games in the Pioneer League, but was used more as a reliever and didn't get any subsequent minor league starts. From what I have read, calling Reed dominant as a minor league reliever is an understatement.

hawkjt
05-09-2012, 01:22 AM
I was wondering why Lilly was not in left field in the 8th,as he probably runs down that ducksnort down the line. Tank should not be out there with a 3 run lead in the 8th.

Danks was solid tonite,which is a big relief,he needed to show signs of life and he did.

Dunn just missed a homer for the second straight nite...good to see him on base all nite also.

That triple by Alex was a thing of beauty...a laser that split the right and left fielders all the way to the wall...what a classic oppo line shot! And then Alex scores on a good baserunning decision,that gave Addison a little more cushion,and god knows the Sox relievers need that.

Sale kind of got screwed on the Damon slow roller,but that shot up the middle almost took his head off. He just needs to settle back in.

We need Jesse Crain back ASAP!

Nice win,tho. I see that Verlander got touched up a bit in Seattle tonite,but tigers hang on...good news? Verlander is slated to pitch on Sunday,so Sox miss him again...nice.

samurai_sox
05-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Hey Chris Perez, the Geico Cavemen called they're tired of explaining to people that they don't have a brother that closes games for the Indians.

Zakath
05-09-2012, 05:11 AM
Hey Chris Perez, the Geico Cavemen called they're tired of explaining to people that they don't have a brother that closes games for the Indians.

Perez learned the lesson tonight that excessive celebration can come back to bite you in the ass when you have to face that team again.

Now if someone would do that to assclown Valverde on a regular basis, the world would be a nicer place...

doublem23
05-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Danks pitches great. Gets screwed out of a win by the paltry run support/porous bullpen. Sox win anyway.

Looks like everything in the universe is back in place

October26
05-09-2012, 08:01 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing about Santiago - glad we were both wrong. It was great to see Rios hit & hustle last night (went 3 for 4 and scored the go ahead run). Hope Alex is ticked off for the rest of the Summer and we continue to see the "aggressive" Alex Rios playing for the Sox.

I enjoyed the broadcast last night, especially when Hawk said: 'I love my ipad." and was discussing social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr with Steve Stone. Good stuff.

Nice to see John Danks pitch a good game last night. I was disappointed with Alexei's error in 8th which allowed the Indians to tie the game. Thankfully, Sox came back and won the game. Good win.

October26
05-09-2012, 08:03 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing about Santiago - glad we were both wrong. It was great to see Rios hit & hustle last night (went 3 for 4 and scored the go ahead run). Hope Alex is ticked off for the rest of the Summer and we continue to see the "aggressive" Alex Rios playing for the Sox.

I enjoyed the broadcast last night, especially when Hawk said: 'I love my i-pad." and was discussing social media: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr with Steve Stone. Good stuff.

Nice to see John Danks pitch a good game last night - too bad he couldn't get the win. I was disappointed with Alexei's error in 8th which allowed the Indians to tie the game. Thankfully, the Sox came back and won the game. Good win.

chisox12
05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Nice to see Danks have a solid outing. Naturally, he gets screwed out of the win.

Another tough one for Alexei. 0 for 5 and a big error. He really needs to get his **** together. Same with Morel...it is paniful to watch him at the plate.

So who is our closer now? Reed? Sale?

socko82
05-09-2012, 08:13 AM

33 K's, 4 walks, .172/.206/.194 ...how pathetic must the farm system be that they have no one who can do better than this?

LITTLE NELL
05-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Nice to see Danks have a solid outing. Naturally, he gets screwed out of the win.

Another tough one for Alexei. 0 for 5 and a big error. He really needs to get his **** together. Same with Morel...it is paniful to watch him at the plate.

So who is our closer now? Reed? Sale?

Maybe we should trade one of them for a third baseman.
I can't take a whole season of watching Morel at the plate.

DonnieDarko
05-09-2012, 09:50 AM
[/I][/B]

Maybe we should trade one of them for a third baseman.
I can't take a whole season of watching Morel at the plate.

Three problems I can think of:

1) What good 3B are out there that we can realistically get?
2) Which of those teams would be willing to part with said 3B?
3) What would we have to give up to get said 3B?

I think that considering that we don't have much of an option down in the minors at the moment, we're really stuck with Morel. >_< I mean, I suppose we can put Escobar there, but Escobar can't hit much better than Morel (he might even be worse).

Crooked Number
05-09-2012, 10:58 AM
33 K's, 4 walks, .172/.206/.194 ...how pathetic must the farm system be that they have no one who can do better than this?

When you look at that slash line it is truly appauling. Something has to be done.

asindc
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
When you look at that slash line it is truly appauling. Something has to be done.

The last swing he took last night looked as if he is totally discouraged right now. Even if Escobar is no better, I'd like to see Morel get about two weeks of ABs in AAA to get his head back on straight.

And oh yeah, Addison Reed is a stud.

hawkjt
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
The last swing he took last night looked as if he is totally discouraged right now. Even if Escobar is no better, I'd like to see Morel get about two weeks of ABs in AAA to get his head back on straight.

And oh yeah, Addison Reed is a stud.

I agree with sending Morel somewhere to build his confidence. He just looks so mechanical,almost robotic out there, with zero feel for hitting right now. As Melton said, I wish he would just get aggressive and start attacking the ball...how much worse could he be? Go after the first pitch more, as it is often the most hittable pitch he sees.